Why do I hate Humberto Ramos' art so much?

I like all kinds of stylized art...Mignola, Miller, Kirby... I wouldn't complain if Allred drew everything. I don't dislike manga-style art. I like the Gwenpool art. But Ramos' stuff is just nails-on-a-chalkboard for me. I find it disturbing, to the point that I just read the word bubbles and move on. What is in his secret hate sauce?

Attached: spidermanpeterparker17[1].jpg (738x574, 186K)

I like parts of it and dislike others.its strange.

pleb filter

It reminds me of shitty high school graffiti or those homies toys. Or just shitty comics from the 2000s

He's a legitimately awful artist. It's only "stylised" because he's unable to draw on-model.
There's no consistency to what he draws and no thematic reason for his humans to sometimes have the legs of a dog or a neck like a tree stump

Imagine the coloring of any typical Ramos drawn comic on Mignola, Kirby, or Miller.

Because thats the primary problem, the god awful coloring.

Compare pic related-- [1/2]

Attached: 61be0564ff540e3b636480ce13ce8e9f.jpg (497x750, 96K)

-- To its original inked form. [2/2]

Attached: tumblr_pftl8hoJNr1rwyqmxo1_540.jpg (536x810, 162K)

Art reminds me of Mel Rubi

Attached: George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings-020.jpg (1987x3056, 1.47M)

The colorist really saves the image.

What an absolutely terrible opinion.

Attached: c1c.gif (200x200, 125K)

I wouldn't say he's the greatest artist, but I never get the hateboner cape fans over him when most cape artists are stunningly boring tripe. Cartoons have been better for superhero stuff because they're more interesting to look at than most realistic artstyles in comics.

Him and Romita i can't stand, i don't know why but i just don't like it

Attached: superman-32-cover-0-101335.jpg (1000x770, 249K)

Agreed

Could be worse, man.
Could be JRJR who to this day I am still astounded is so well received. I fucking hate his art style since 90's Spider-Man.

"Romita is coming!"

Or was that the Bendis tagline?
I didn't understand why I should be excited. His Superman art was garbage tier and made me drop the book.

It just looks like shit.
Joe Mad had a manga influenced style but his comics looked good because he was better at drawing. All there is to it.

It was a reference; when DC got Kirby back in the 70's they put that tagline on their books, Bendis was their big Marvel get of recent years.

Is that mainly because of his Ultimate Spider-Man fame? I didn't think he had done much of note since that period of time.

It's a little sad that one company strokes their own dick for claiming a has-been from another company that clearly is not interested in paying him more to keep him on board.

It's still too many lines. I hated his work on this X-run because it was so hard to read. I feel like on ASM shortly after he was a little cleaner, but not by much.

>It's still too many lines.
You would hate Todd McFarlane.

He is one of many artists like McFarlane and Bagley who look bad drawing anything except Spider-Man

Nice blog thread, kid, don't you have a twitter or a blogspot account when you can cry about what you like or not?

I actually loved McFarlane. But where I remember Todd being more bubbly and rounder, Ramos' rendering is always really angular and jagged. Maybe it's the way he spots blacks.

>Him and Romita i can't stand
I don't like Romita, but I can read a comic with his art without eye gagging. I do think Ramos has gotten better (compare Impulse to Spider-Man), although I'm not sure if that's him improving his art or just conforming a bit more towards the mainstream. Impulse was particularly egregious, and looked like DC had handed a title to the kid who sat next to me in high school.

There's... A lotta truth to this.. damn

I stopped picking up Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man when I realized that every other arc was going to be Ramos. Ryan Ottley is great and I was hyped for his stuff and picked up that first arc but when I saw Ramos would be doing the next one before Ottley came back for arc 3 I just dropped the book completely.

I don't mind Romita much when he's doing his own stuff (Kick-Ass specifically) but when he's the artist on a Marvel or DC book I just can't get behind it. I think it's the way he draws faces that gets me the most.

Given what Ramos did during Slott's decade, I can't really blame you, but he's been a lot better during Spencer's run.

All of Romita's art looks like he half-assed some parts and quickly pencilled in others, while using Robert Cop action figures for anatomy references.

Attached: m61d7p32fdoy.jpg (740x533, 56K)

i dont read a lot of cape comics but for me it's romita and steve dillon, may god rest his samefacing soul

I'm not sure it's always coloring. I remember that Spiderman arc where he's changing into Man Spider again and the art was all over the place.

I can actually understand the distaste of his style, to even emulate those proportions in certain shots would be a fucking nightmare. Ramos is great and I usually do like his shit but when it comes to Marvel, he just knows how to shit the bed.