Getting rid of Donald Blake was one of the worst decisions Marvel ever did, like OMD tier fuck up

Getting rid of Donald Blake was one of the worst decisions Marvel ever did, like OMD tier fuck up.

Attached: donald-blake-780x405.jpg (780x405, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ContinuitySnarl/Hawkman
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What ever did happen to Donald, anyway?

He became a duck

Donald Blake is trash. No one except faggots like you care about Donald Blake and the boring human aspect of his life. Thor is best when he is Thor, doing cosmic/9 realms stuff and away from Earth/

Attached: thor - get away from me foul trolls.jpg (487x420, 140K)

not giving Thunderstrike an omnibus is up there

So help clear this up for me. How exactly does the Donald Blake/Thor relationship work exactly? Is Donald just Thor in mortal form, or is he just summoning Thor when striking his walking stick?

Enchantress enchanted him, made him immortal, cut off his head, transformed his body into a new Executioner, and then Thor gave Blake's immortal head to some dream demons. Where it lies forgotten.

Donald Blake? is that one of Thor's friends from Earth? why wasn't he in the movies?

In the movies it's the fake name they give him in Thor 1 when admitting him into the hospital after Jane hit him with the van

What

What happened to Blake family anyway? Shouldn't Thor love them like his own family for raining and taking care of him?

You must be at least 18 years old to post on Yea Forums.

I thought Walter Simonson made a good decision when he got rid of Donald Blake so he can focus more on Thor's cosmic adventures. Of course there was always the question of was Donald Blake a separate person or was it just Thor without his powers, it felt like marvel never really had a concrete answer and every writer had there own idea on how it worked. And of course the way they took him out with making him immortal and cutting of his head was just messed up. But honestly not that many people cared about Donald Blake's normal life like Peter Parker's so it was better to just ignore that shit anyway and just let Thor do shit in space.

Donald Blake is just Thor inside a mortal body. They aren't 2 different people mentally. Whatever knowledge he acquired as Donald Blake, he kept as Thor.

He never had a family. Donald Blake was just Thor inside a magical construct created by Odin. Any other claims were just attempted retcons created by writers that wanted to do their own personal take on Donald Blake's origin. Can't be retarded as the retcon claiming Odin kidnapped the real Donald Blake and place him in suspended while having Thor in a Donald Blake construct take over the real Donald Blake's life.

It wavered a lot.

In the very beginning Blake was a guy with Thor's powers, then he became Thor who turned into a human then it seemed to settle into they are both the same person with the same memories but different bodies, social skills & proficiency's. Blake knew everything Thor knew but not HOW and vice versa.

Attached: thor224_18.jpg (621x604, 183K)

Wasnt Donald originally his reincarnation and the Thor form his previous personality being bring back temporary?

This version takes away any relevancy to his origin in the comics, it was nothing more than a simulation, Thor never had to actually face a mortal life.

Nah you're a fucking idiot OP probably never read any of those old Thor comics.
>LAME AS FUCK PARTS OF THE COMIC
Thor's adventures on a New York City sidewalk! Wow! Because this is totally want I want from my mythological adventure comic!
>KINO AS FUCK PARTS OF THE COMIC
Tales of Asgard backup stories, Thor in Asgard battling all kinds of mythological shit like the mighty MANGOG who possesses the strength of a billion BILLION beings!

Why is Simonson the GOAT Thor writer? Because he understood what makes Thor a great comic: the second part. Killing Donald Blake was brilliant. Who the FUCK wants to read about Thor's secret identity??

>changes from a captain marvel rip off to a Superman rip off

seems like a move up, honestly

this

I hate tropes like this unless they actually make sense. Glad they stopped having Tony Stark claim Iron Man was his bodyguard.

it's funny marvel can't nail it down considering how important thor is

it's almost like hawkman

Donald Blake sucks and has always been the worst part of Thor stuff

>>LAME AS FUCK PARTS OF THE COMIC
>Thor's adventures on a New York City sidewalk! Wow! Because this is totally want I want from my mythological adventure comic!

weird. because that never seemed to be a problem for someone like Iron Fist "except for the garbage Netflix show

maybe the kung fu genre lends itself to more flexibility

nothing in comics even approaches how fucked up hawkman/woman are, don't be stupid

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ContinuitySnarl/Hawkman

What to you mean? All the best parts of an Iron Fist comic involve Kun'lun or things/people related to Kun'lun. What was the best part of Immortal Ironfist? The Last Iron Fist Story or The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven? Exactly

Except Donna Troy

No, but even then you're comparing the smell of piss to the smell of shit. In either case, comparing either to the status of Donald Blake is stupid and reeks of company war

Oh I'm not that guy, I just wanted to chime in about convoluted backgrounds and my mind instantly goes to both Carter and Donna. I wouldn't call Donald that bad

>like OMD tier fuck up.
OMD is the sole thing that's OMD tier. No one cares about Blake, you fag.

So what I'm getting from this thread is that Donald Blake and the implications that come with it are convoluted and pointless to have, they made a good decision by getting rid of him, and OP is a retard as per business as usual.

Well some anons/fans are under the impression that just because something came first it immediately means its great by seniority. It's like trying to argue Green Lanterns should go back to being weak to yellow house paint

Bingo. Donald Blake is a relic of bygone days when almost every superhero was supposed to have a secret identity. And even in those 60s comics, Donald Blake is clearly the weakest part of the whole thing. Hell, Iron Man as Tony Stark is WAY more compelling than Iron Man as Tony Stark's bodyguard, and that one took 40 years to do away .

Exactly

Attached: And Jane never cared or asked.jpg (1000x1538, 1.21M)

Blake was fine but the 60 second rule got old. Then again, the old 60 second rule is better than what they did to current Thor. Fuck Jason Aaron and his god of hammers.

Not every superhero needs a secret identity

People remember the old Power Man and Iron Fist comics pretty fondly, and those were all Danny and Luke romping around in New York.

The point is that those old Iron Fist comics aren't as good as Immortal Iron Fist

When the hell was this?

I agree, but I'm just saying that Iron Fist romping around New York can work, but nobody (and I mean nobody) gives a shit about Donald Blake.

When Gillen was on Thor for a time.

If they'd have let Snyder write Hawkman, he would have been elevated- but now we get shit from Venditti

Attached: HawkManFound01_CVR_59975c6683a955.64211408.jpg (504x770, 203K)

Agreed

I aleays wondered if this is supposed to be seen as a happy ended or for how fucked it up it actually is

>hasn't read JMS Thor

You fags don't like comics. Try wrestling.

I don't think Thor really needs the Donald Blake concept but Donald Blake did bring an interesting side to Thor that the fact that when given the opportunity to start again that he chose to be a healer instead of a warrior and that Thor eventually ended up liking his mortality to the point it made Odin and some of the other Asgardians think he was ridiculous to chose to still use the form of a disabled man. Also we got a pretty nice story from it (pic related).

I also don't like the "they're two different people retcon" Thor is Don and Don is Thor to me, Don was Thor turned into a mortal man by Odin's enchantment.

Fractio's Thor run was bad, the only good thing Fraction did was make Kid Loki and only because Gillen improved on it.

Attached: RCO035_1462599230.jpg (1038x1544, 359K)

There was never a Blake family, Odin just gave Thor false memories of having them while he was human and also made it so he never wondered were they where or even had any desire to see them.

It's pretty weird especially since in the early Thor comics it seemed like Don was the dominant personality and he thought he found Mjolnir and that he would turn into Thor just by grabbing it. It's why Mjolnir has that whole worthy thing in the first place. Don was just some guy who was worthy and got the power of Thor. Later on Stan had Don go to Asgard and encounter Odin and Odin would call him his son and stuff and then Don started questioning if he was Thor or not and so did the readers since the comics had "Tales of Asgard" stories that took place in the past with the actual Thor and the other Asgardians.

Readers were wondering if Don was Thor or just someone who got his looks and powers and then Stan addressed the whole thing in an issue where Odin reveals to Don that he is in fact Thor and that Odin put an enchantment that made him into a mortal with a limp just so Thor would learn some humility. Don being a doctor was Thor's choice.

Attached: DBlake01.jpg (500x723, 214K)

Here is Don after he got Mjolnir

Attached: DBlake02.jpg (500x406, 125K)

Thor and Loki's first on panel encounter in the comics.

Attached: DThorLoki.jpg (423x492, 124K)

Jane tells Thor she loves Don and Thor's reaction.

Attached: DonThorJane.jpg (500x709, 191K)

>Loki...ummm, a lovely name! And he seems so dashing, and romantic.
It started so early.

I thought it was supposed to be good. Thor didn't know how to fix his friend, so gave him a happy dream instead which seems a mix of real and false but happy images.

>if you don't like shitty half-assed secret identities then you don't like comics

Kill yourself my man

Quite the contrary.
This guy absolutely gets it.

I wouldn't mind if they brought Blake back as just a Clark Kent-esque ID when Thor wants to just chill out on Earth privately for a while.

Yeah like once in a blue moon thing I would be fine with that, or even in a story that's set in the past or a What-if type of thing but Thor the character kind of outgrew Blake.

I like Donald Blake as an idea, but I concede that he's probably difficult to write well. A lot of stories seem to relegate the character to being simply "Thor's secret identity", as though that concept even makes sense in the context of Thor's story. The character has no teeth when he's a totally separate being from Thor, or a disguise that he must hide in to keep some inane secret- rather, I think Donald Blake is at his best when he's simply Thor made frail. A god, brought down to the status of a mortal, not just to learn humility, but to learn mortality as well. Sort of a "Last Unicorn" situation.

As others in this thread have pointed out, "I, Whom the Gods Would Destroy" was a great depiction of this.

>I open my eyes and another day has dawned. In Asgard, I have awakened countless times to countless mornings, with countless mornings yet to come. The difference here is, with each new dawning, I am one step closer to the grave. This knowledge makes me appreciate the dawn and hold it precious.

Attached: RCO053_w_1462599230.jpg (1016x1600, 515K)

I agree, the secret identity is underrated. They give a grounding to a character, give him something more real and earthbound to connect and relate to. I don't like this trend in super hero stuff lately of just ignoring the secret identities or referring to each other's identities while in costume. It's really laziness and unimaginitive of writers. It seems to pain them now to consider two different characters with two different worlds in one body.

You're wrong and you're the faggot here.

>>I open my eyes and another day has dawned. In Asgard, I have awakened countless times to countless mornings, with countless mornings yet to come. The difference here is, with each new dawning, I am one step closer to the grave. This knowledge makes me appreciate the dawn and hold it precious.

This is great, this what I'm talking about -- balancing two worlds.

Why? What did he add to the mythos?

Tell me, OP, just what exactly did Thor lose from not being Donald Blake, beyond dumb civilian life MELODRAMA over shit like his romantic life?

>If they'd have let Snyder write Hawkman, he would have been elevated

The only good thing to come out of Snyder's Hawkman is the idea that the reincarnation gimmick works through time AND space and doesn't do it linearly.

Yeah but that's because of Luke and Danny interacting with one another, not because Danny walking in his pajamas on the street going "how foolish of you, young dragon!" or whatever the fuck his made up grasshopper lingo was.

Donald makes sense as a punishment and lesson for Thor early on, but is he supposed to bear it forever and never benefit from learning humility?

If it's just a secret identity...why? Thor must be in disguise otherwise Crusher Creel is going to attack Odin?