Nu52 Earth 2

>Remember when Alan Scott's dead fiance came back as a ghost of the avatar of some made up bullshit fan fic color
Let's talk about how awful Earth 2 became and reminisce about the good old days (as little as they were) when Robinson was at the helm.

Earth 2 Thread.

Attached: Sam_Zhao_(Earth_2)_002.jpg (492x750, 194K)

I hate that perspective in superhero comics so fucking much.

>Green Lanterns are the Avatars for the Green
Yeah no

Attached: 1548442974599.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

Didn't several characters die and then suddenly came back to life with no explanation at the end? I remember Dick was one of those characters.

Why is DC obsessed with making Alan Scott gay?

She says the White right there on panel, not green.

Because he has a hot ass and a weakness for wood

Attached: earth2-600x1060.png (600x1060, 1.11M)

Yeah, how do you think that Alan got his Ring? Here's a hint: It doesn't involve a dying alien

>She

Attached: 1528385891841.jpg (679x960, 128K)

Because they erased his Gay son from continuity and they thought making him gay would somehow make up for it. Surprise, turns out Obsidian fans want Obsidian, not for his traits to be given to his dad.

Wait did Jay ever reconcile with fucking Joan? What the shit was that all about?

New 52 Earth 2 was a broken concept right from the beginning. Nobody wanted a modernized rebooted "Ultimate JSA". They should have just had the JSA continue on from where they'd been pre-flashpoint, like Batman and the GLC, just on their own Earth again.

didn't bother me at first but the way alan's looking is really fucking with me

Todd Rice and Earth 2 Alan Scott are two different characters. None of Obie's traits were ever given to his homo dad. Todd would have easily given up everything for his partner, which multiple times Alan did not when tested.

Robinson hanging plot thread (like all the others) that was ignored by every other subsequent writer.

Why care about that? That's the least of this bullshit universe's problems. For fuck sake, Alan and Jay never truly interacted. Who the fuck was this written for?

Attached: darkknightmon threatening.png (640x360, 235K)

>Todd Rice and Earth 2 Alan Scott are two different characters. None of Obie's traits were ever given to his homo dad. Todd would have easily given up everything for his partner, which multiple times Alan did not when tested.

That's my point. If you go back and look at the interviews from around that time, James Robinson said the reason they made Earth 2 Alan gay was because Obsidian couldn't exist because Alan was too young to have children. Then pretty much every preexisting fan of either Alan or Todd asked why they were rebooting the continuity so the older JSA members couldn't have their children and legacy characters.

Yeah I know that but I saw your post say traits. So that triggered my autism. I know you meant gay as the only trait given but making trait plural set me off. My bad.
But yeah Alan and his son were like day and night, they may share some standard heroic traits (like bravery and will power) but not much else.

>Surprise, turns out Obsidian fans want Obsidian, not for his traits to be given to his dad.

But it worked for Hal and Barry.

Is this the universe where Sinestro became a stripper or was that the One Million universe?

I'm 90% sure that was a thing that happened somewhere.

Dick survived so many fucking deaths that Earth 2 might as well been a fucking anime.

>But it worked for Hal and Barry.
Not really. They actually kept John, Guy and Kyle around while adding more earth GL's(Jessica,Simon,Bendis's new OC) and the other Lantern Corps. Hal basically has coasted on the whole GL/Emotional spectrum mythos.

As for Barry, classic wally fans have never accepted him back, and unlike Hal fans, Barry fans who wanted him back were practically non-existent. Barry has only managed to reestablish himself as the main Flash among normies due to the tv series, and thats due to the fact while the Flash costume design is iconic, if you asked most normies the Flash's secret identity they wouldn't have been able to tell you.

He was barely even gay. He literally had no love interest except his dead bf. He never even did anything gay except grieve over his dead (then ghost and then dead again) bf for five fucking years. Compare that to Todd who was shown several times kissing his boyfriend, suggest kinky shit (like cosplay sex), shown post coitus, and later made several gay jokes to trigger people.

Granted everyone else in Earth 2 was an asexual weirdo, so maybe that wasn't because the staff were afraid of the gay.

Wait are you serious? They throw the JSA on their own Earth and the two most famous members never have a proper interaction?

Yes. No fucking joke. I'm not the only person to notice it. In fact, someone else had to point it out to me. It is so fucking obvious but people ignore it because of how bad Earth 2 was.
But this is fundamentally the biggest issue with Earth 2, the JSA barely have any meaningful interactions with each other. Besides Kara sometimes interacting with Val or Helena with Dick, there's jack shit. Ironically Helena and Kara stop hanging out with each other when they get back to Earth 2.

Grundy vs. Green Lantern fight was pure kino and for a moment, made me think we would all be ok.]
It did not last.

Wow that makes Earth 2 sound more horrible than I imagine. You know I missed the JSA and almost decided to read Earth 2 but decided against it. Looks I dodged a bullet there.

Hopefully when Doomsday Clock is finished we get a proper JSA comic.

Why did DC do him dirty like that?

Earth 2 was a fucking horrible idea and a shit comic from day one. Don't reboot the fucking golden age.

Calm down. He only kissed a guy once and is probably erased from eternity. It's not like Bobby who the changes are permanent.

>good old days
Yeah fuck no. The Starheart didn't exist in Earth 2. It was replaced for the Green. That was bullshit.

This. I too decided not to pick it up. This thread as well as the storytime of pain only make me realize I made the right choice.

It had a good idea in removing Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman out of the gate and focusing on the Golden Age heroes outright.

Then they brought all three of them back.

This, I don’t know why fans want the Golden Age Trinity to be a part of the JSA, they’ll just overshadow the rest of the members.

The devolution of the Earth 2 comic is a great example of why the JSA should be on the main Earth and not stranded on another comic.

I own all of worlds end. It's my biggest comic sin. I just enjoyed seeing Darkseid and Apokolips steamroll a planet

That was JL 3001

I would have bought the trade had Darkseid won. That happy ending was extremely unearned.

>bullshit fan fic color
You mean every color that isn't green and yellow?

Pretty much. By the near end, there's a cast of avatars that make up a damn rainbow.

>Ultimatum
>Earth-2
Any other examples of writers wrecking an entire universe just because it's not main continuity?

Earth 2 actually recovered, meanwhile only a few characters survived Ultimate Universe

>tfw my comic shop wouldn’t let me unsubscribe to it because “it was the best series DC was publishing”

Attached: C73F8E76-104C-48C4-8999-35E5A371EFAC.jpg (640x345, 8K)

Was there ever any indication of what Robinson was going to do with the Red Lantern after that issue with Steel?

>my comic shop wouldn’t let me unsubscribe to it
Hahahaha what kind of fucked up pussy shit is this?

I disagree. I actually think the idea of a modernized JSA has a lot of potential. I never liked that all of DC's other characters got to benefit from a sliding timescale, but the golden age superheroes where forever anchored to World War 2, necessitating increasingly convoluted methods of immortality to explain why they and their children don't die of old age.

The real problem with the Earth 2 comic is that it suffered from mission creep immediately. Instead of modernizing the JSA's villains along with them, James Robinson instead made the baffling decision to draw his antagonists from Jack Kirby's Fourth World, a set of characters that were created 20 years after the golden age had ended.

Robinson's successors not only doubled down on the Fourth World stuff, they also basically abandoned the book's original premise and turned it into a bad Elseworlds setting with lots of Superman and Batman related OCs. Black Zod Superman! Cyborg Lois Lane! Technopath Jimmy Olsen! Deadbeat Grandpa Batman! Family Man Dick Grayson!

The trainwreck this series turned into was so spectacular that DC will probably retire the whole concept of Earth 2 and never make another version of it, especially not as its own series. But I'll go to my grave saying this was a book with a sound premise that just utterly failed on execution.

Earth-2 would have been fine if the JSA also existed on E0

But user Superman can't be the first Superhero if the JSA exist.

You know I never got DC obsession with making Superman the first superhero during the New 52. All it resulted in was the loss of a lot of golden age and legacy characters.

Don't be silly user. "what if Norm Rockwell invented superheroes" wasn't trendy enough for an era where Didio had lines unironically called "The Dark" and "The Edge" seven fucking years after TvTropes was founded.

She died. Who cares.

The entire universe except for the E2 JL got rebooted in the Earth 2 relaunch before the book got canceled.

Attached: Screenshot_2015-12-19-09-47-47.png (1080x1920, 2.49M)

Not him but Alan Scott is THE Green Lantern of Earth-2, its a totally different thing than the GLC and only the same in color scheme and name.

Val-Zod was cool.

Not really. He was Tom Taylor trying to 1 up Miles

He succeeded, Val-Zod is cooler than Miles.

how lame

>The Starheart didn't exist in Earth 2
He is lying right? Tell me this faggot is lying.

>“it was the best series DC was publishing”
but it was truth
At least for the Robinson issues

It was weird how the last thing Alan did ever in Earth 2 was look at a picture of his dead husbando, you know after 5 fucking years of him being dead? Meaning, he never moved on.
Jesus this is not the man who was able to control the damn Starheart.
Did any of these fuckers, aside from Robinson, even read anything about Alan Scott?

>Did any of these fuckers, aside from Robinson, even read anything about Alan Scott?

I honestly didn't feel like anybody other than Robinson and maybe Abnett was familiar enough with the Golden Age stuff.

Actually this is a good question, it felt like she just got dropped entirely, even though if you read the old Golden Age stuff, she was a constant in his life (learned that he was the Flash right in the first issue, for instance).

Even weirder is that Jay's whole character got wrapped with his mother. What the fuck? Did these people confuse him with Barry? Is that what fucking happened?

Lucky that I always make notes about books I read and deleted.
>Earth 2. Robinson: right idea, wrong writer. Taylor: fun. Bennett et al.: irrelevant.
>Earth 2: World's End. Like Batman & Robin: Eternal, it's fun in the beginning, but it gets too long.
>Earth 2: Society. Wilson: not read. Abnett: fun.

I knew it was going to go to shit the minute Taylor took over and he proved me right. That faggot shilled his shit Superman and Batman characters so hard at the cost of the fucking JSA.

The problem is how many of the characters was his and how many were Robinson's? I know Robinson introduced the new Earth 2 Batman, but I have no idea if he always intended him to be Thomas Wayne because that got revealed in a story by Taylor. Also I remembered that Robinson intended to introduce Red Arrow as Roy McQueen (like a combination of Speedy and Green Arrow), but then Taylor went with Connor Hawke.

there wasn't enough time to show stuff like that, they all had to keep facing one crisis after another. Not to mention almost all that Obsidian stuff happened in one book thirty years after he was created, it didn't happen overnight

Not making out with a dude in every issue doesn't make him less gay

but user why would they bother writing the JSA interacting in any fashion when they could just write them sucking trinity dick instead?

I remember that originally, Robinson wanted to do Earth 2 like the original Earth-2, but this time showing how Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman along with the JSA would've affected WWII, or something like that. Then it was suggested that he do a modernized reboot of the JSA instead, so he went with that.

I honestly can't tell if I should be sad or happy that they didn't go with his original plan, because he probably would've bailed and replaced with people who probably don't know much of the characters he'd put in.

Taylor introduced Lois, Jimmy and Val-Zod and was somehow followed up by even bigger hacks who brought in Dick Grayson and his stupid kid whose name changed every other issue.

Oh and Taylor introduced Aquawoman but even she got dropped like a rock for the sin of not being relevant to the Trinity.

>they all had to keep facing one crisis after another.
Yeah but that shit got old, real fast.
People want to see the JSA have relationships with each other and build up relationships with other people. People love the legacies they leave. They should have been building up to that. Not constant death and edgefest.
The only ones that left any fucking legacy were Helena and Dick. Jesus Christ just shit.

*Bruce
Helena was his legacy.

yeah it was a nonstop shitshow that didn't bother leaving any room for character development or interaction

People talking about Obsidian is making me remember Manhunter. I miss Kate's adventures.

Attached: nardo crying.jpg (524x479, 31K)

Stop lying faggot, it was all garbage minus some of Robinson's writing and that was improved with Scott's delicious art.

>inexplicably dark shadow to censor ass and balls
I hate this.

anyone have that panel of Abnett shitting on Earth-2 from the end of Society?

>expecting anything
Pls