In all seriousness this show was Orientalistic as fuck

In all seriousness this show was Orientalistic as fuck

Attached: 9781506701301.jpg (300x450, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kmuvsVrdMbE
youtube.com/watch?v=_Hl6KNY10ZA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, that's what happens when you use Chinese culture and Buddhism as your prime source of inspiration

>Orientalistic
The hell does that means?

Buddhism is the only religion invented by white men still in use today

Holy shit OP, mind blown. This entire time I thought it was set in a European setting, Ba Sing Se looked so Medieval German

Attached: Will smith really.gif (268x185, 1.43M)

It’s a pigeonholed, exotic reimagining of a culture that is neither accurate, nor tactful.

I watched it when it aired on TV and I always assumed it was unironically set in Asia and the characters were Asian

The characters are Asian (or Inuit). It’s just not set in anything resembling actual asia.

when are we going to see the comic have adult aang and shit?

yeah not like those japanese and chinese who always treat western culture respectfully
stop babying other cultures

its almost as is its trying to be its own thing rather than a carbon copy of those cultures.

MoP did it much better

The title is literally "Eastern religious concepts: fictionalized".

It was, but it's nowhere near as actively harmful as the Orientalism of, say, Aladdin.

The fact that it's a wholly fictional world is somewhat better than attempting to be a depiction of our world, I think.

>Buddhism

The only Buddhist thing about this show was reincarnation of the Avatar

>Orientalistic
Haven't hear that before.

Just ignore it, close this, hide the thread, move on with your life. These idiots don't deserve their pissy shit getting attention or traction. Stories are stories and that's cool.

You know what?
I never liked the OST.
I wanna put a better song in normal ATLA fights... oh yeah, like this: youtube.com/watch?v=kmuvsVrdMbE

That would be ludicrously unfitting for the setting and give the show a completely different feeling that largely defeated the point. Shit taste.

Whatever, i don't want a generic opinion with limited imagination.

>Wanting to see more of these trash comics
No thanks

>generic opinion
Choke on a cock you self-aggrandizing faggot.

>I never liked the OST
I mean I guess it's not for everyo-
>That spoiler
Never mind, get better ears.

That's why it was good and why Korra wasn't.

>The best season of Korra is the one with the biggest focus on eastern philosophy

>The best season of Korra is the one with the biggest focus on eastern philosophy
so none?

WHAT?
We all know ATLA was based off the Bronx

Ridiculously gay taste

If you mean that in the sense of "orientalism", as in westerners making up stories with inspiration from Asian cultures they are clearly clueless about, but they do it anyway because exotism is cool, then absolutely.
If you mean it was authentically Oriental in any way then lolno.

That's literally not the case, they were vaguely inspired by those real life people but they aren't actual Inuit, they're just waterpeople who look Inuit.

Oh yeah, instead they crammed in references of western culture in to fill the holes, real creative.

>ywn see a well-deserved final duel between Zuko and Azula without help with this sounding in the background, including memories between movements: youtube.com/watch?v=_Hl6KNY10ZA
>inb4 This does not make sense because that does not go with the cartoon.
I didn't come here to discuss shit only with a spiritual base and not fantastic as should be.
>inb4 Yakuzafag
Well, even with the live action I know perfectly well that there will be no songs of this level are still dead, ATLAfags.
>inb4 Fuck you.
Oh, you really can not reimagine the scenes and entertain yourself personally for the day? You must have a horrible life then.
>inb4 ficerestfag
No, I really prefer a thousand times a clean and honorable duel between different ideas without the intervention of third parties.
Katara is not to blame for Bryke and Esazh being so liberal.
>inb4 /pol/fag
Holy shit, with more reason / co / is condemned; if more on something that bothers them they cry like bitches because they can not argue beyond their butt.
Zhaofag was right, the Avatar fandom is just pathetic to give constructive or inspired ideas, considering that I don't want a fucking Yakuza Ishin! animated because you would not even understand that.
DR; TL: Fuck ATLA fandom & fuck Scrapper

Attached: Azula_Nishikiyama.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

One of the 4 cultures in the show was based on tibetan buddhism. The protagonists teacher is named after the Dalai Llama.
wut

Nice copypasta autism.
Didn't Katara not intervene and just show up on the sidelines until Azula went mental when she started to lose and attached Katara with lightning?

I'm not even going to attack your musical choice, this is an absolutely atrocious post that makes you look incredibly insecure.

Not sure if pasta or extreme asshurt

CHINA GOOD
JAPAN BAD
ESKIMOS DUMB

you are scum

TIBETANS DEAD

*Orientalist

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism

And it is not
It is neither stereotyped, ill informed, nor patronizing. The pan Asian inspired world of Avatar shows a myriad of technological, political, cultural, and philosophical perspectives - it's anything but stagnant.

Look! OP discovered America! What a discover! Can you invent the wheel too? I'm pretty excited for this one. Oh what about fire?

Remember when people tried to get the traditional asian martial artist who was consulted about all the kung fu in the show on their side to denounce cultural appropriation and he told them to fuck off? Good times.

Its so strange how americans think that cultural appropriation is a bad thing.
Cultures exchanging ideas? How horrible!

'Orientalistic' is not a word. You are looking for 'orientalist'.
If you want to misuse outdated academic jargon to start a shitposting thread you could at the very least try to spell it right.

Attached: 1493504040398.gif (760x469, 1.47M)

Orientalism has nothing to do with that

Read Edward Said

If fantasy can be Europe-inspired why can’t it be Asian-inspired too?

>the Bronx
are you recovering from brain damage friend?
Its based off of 1860 Seattle
But hey, you'd know that if you watched the show

Imagine thinking that anyone on Yea Forums has the patience to read Edward Said. Or even anything about Orientalism in art history.

"outdated" shut up dummy you obviously aren't in this discipline

The fact that it's a fantasy blend of all the different flavors of "Eastern", and takes place in a world unstuck in time ... those are classic features of Orientalist narratives. You can definitely argue that it's not so bad or stereotypical, though. I mean, you can easily make an argument that it's orientalist without saying "this is a shitty show because of it." It's just that it is super orientalist

>The fact that it's a fantasy blend of all the different flavors of "Eastern", and takes place in a world unstuck in time ... those are classic features of Orientalist narratives.

The flip side of that is that Western fantasies tend to mash Western medieval cultures together too and also be unstuck in time, while still being Eurocentric (see Middle-earth, Game of Thrones, etc.).

Basically all fantasy and fiction are bad and you shouldn’t read or write any of it, ever.

Go be retarded somewhere else

AIR TEMPLE SQUARE MASSACRE

They got the massive river pollution right

Attached: china river.jpg (1024x1024, 120K)

But the Fire Nation is Japan.