Did Luke Evans play Gaston well?

Did Luke Evans play Gaston well?

Attached: 1549244436055.jpg (1500x1200, 311K)

No one plays himself like Gaston.

I never watched it because I heard that he was gay in the movie or something

He did alright, but it’s not really possible for anyone to play Gaston well in live action.

It was Lefou, and all he does is dance with a man in a dress at the end in a scene made to be easily removable for the Chinese.

At the beginning I was *kind of* not feeling him as a true villain because he didn't really acted that cruel or anything, just old fashioned and full of himself (a factor might have been pic related's utter unlikeability as Belle from the first song). But then he goes full asshole so it catches up. Idk if they were playing for subtlety or it was just a matter of the actor's range

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 222K)

he looks like one of my old rivals from middle school and it angers me

Oh that's not so bad, drag queens are common in pantomimes.

>I heard that he was gay in the movie
He is gay irl not in the movie.

I thought he was fun. I've never seen the animated version, so nothing to compare Luke Evans to, but he played an entertaining jackass.

I just got told he danced with a cross dresser so that's probably what I'm remembering rather than him being bent irl

Lets be honest here, Lefou was already pretty damn gay in the animated movie.

Yeah he does have that eunuch vibe

I liked him, even though he had a different dynamic with the town than in the animated film. In the live action film Lefou has to pay and work up the townspeople into singing Gaston's praises, and until Lefou lies for him, they were willing to believe that he'd hurt Maurice. He was a more realistic asshole, I think... charismatic, violent past with his love for the war, abandoning Lefou.

Also resulted in one of the better new lines in the music

>There's a beast running wild there's no question, but I fear the wrong monster's unleashed...

that's a damn stupid and silly reason not to watch a movie.

it's shit, sure don't watch.
it's dumb, ditto.

but that?

>projecting

They alluded to gayness in the vaguest possible ways. Little jabs where he's jealous of Gaston lusting after Belle, a moment in "Gaston" where Gaston say it's too much, then at the end he dances with the character who was happy to be cross-dressed by the wardrobe during the mob battle scene.

That was LeFou.

LeFou is a straight actor playing a gay character while Gaston is a gay actor playing a straight character

I thought they made him full on gay which just isn't the OG story is it.

He didn't do the "Every inch of me is covered in hair" line and revealed his chest, so ultimately: not.

I did like his delivery of the line responding to "je ne sais quoi"

LeFou was just Gaston's syncophant in the original. Though with how much he doted on him, it wasn't exactly a huge step up to him being gay for Gaston.
Though ironically, he sees Gaston for what he really is in this version

Also the movie never outright says he's gay. It's all but stated but never actually stated

Yes. In fact I think he was the best part of the film.
His version of Gaston was still recognizably the same character, but felt like an interesting different direction to take it. Still comically egotistical, but more organically likable.
Lefou wasn't bad either, they had pretty good chemistry and it seemed like him and Gaston had an actual friendship (however uneven) rather than the pure sycophancy of the animated version.
It was probably a good choice overall. The animated versions are such exaggerated version of people, aesthetically and personality wise, that trying a closer adaptation would probably have been a total failure.

Attached: brovincial_life_by_taijavigilia-d5ia0wn.png (1024x729, 1.2M)