I wanna get into Xmen, but have no idea where to start. Do I read chronologically from the beginning...

I wanna get into Xmen, but have no idea where to start. Do I read chronologically from the beginning? Is there a definite run I should start with? Please enlighten me.

Attached: 1415379763450.gif (400x300, 3.46M)

The early stuff can be a bit of a slog to get through, honestly. The stereotypical answer would be to start with Claremont's run.

Read like, the first five or six issues by Lee and Kirby, and then jump head to the Claremont run. And then brace yourself for a 17 year run.

Ignore these grognards. Read New X Men by Morrison, then Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon. Ignore everything else.

I know nothing of xmen comcis but feel like this is bait

You're going to get tons of ridiculous complaining, but honestly these are the most enjoyable self-contained modern runs and will give you enough background to follow whatever current ones you want to look into. The rest can be wikipediaed and aren't worth reading.

Here's the thing. Read Claremont until 1991. Then jump to Nex X-Men by Grant Morrison. Then jump to Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen. And once you're finished with the AvX tie-ins*, STOP. Like there's absolutely nothing more to read. Nothing at all. Just stop and move on

* DON'T READ THE FUCKING EVENT MONGOLOID, JUST THE UNCANNY X-MEN TIE-INS.

Ohh boy, here we go

Holy fuck, why reading comics is so compliacated?

Why can't every writer just do his own thing like in manga?

After reading X-Men for a long, long time, I quit all of Marvel cold turkey after Secret Wars. Have things gotten any better since then? Asking because I saw Hickman is going to have an X-Men book, and for the first time in 3 years I'm tempted to jump back in.

Because editors are afraid of doing a 100% reset and grognards wouldn't accept it either, so here we stand.

There are 5 basic eras to X-men

>Early era
X-men 1 to the first cancellation.

>Claremont era
Giant Size X-men/Uncanny X-men 94 to 1991's line revamp

>90s
1991 to 2001

>00s
New X-men 114 (Morrison's first issue) to AvX

>Modern shit
2012 and onward

I recommend starting with the Claremont stuff because it's where all the classic stories are. Giant Size X-men is a relaunch designed to fix a lot of the problems the O5 era had and bring in new readers. Morrison is also good but don't fall for the Morrison fanboys that say it's the best run ever.

>whedon

lmao

But what a fun run.

ever since the avengers (movie) became popular marvel comics have been doing everything in their power to shit on the x-men for not having the cinematic rights. i don't think there's any modern x-men story that's actually good.

i imagine this will change now that disney owns fox though.

start with
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon if you're a filthy casual.

If you know comics, start with Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

Well OP, in my honest opinion, if you really want to get into X-Men, go for the first Uncanny X-Men run and its 544 numbers, published from1963 to 2011. It's worth it. Seriously. You get to see all the conventions and how comics changed over time. If you read 3 a day it will take you 6 months to go through and when you finish you'll have a deeper appreciation for the media and the mutants will have become part of yourself. Believe it or not it was quite emotional to read that last issue, 544. I remember closing it and feeling like I had finished a huge journey. I pretty much loved doing that. I would read before going to sleep and was looking forward those hours all day long.

If you don't really want to get into X-Men but want to know enough and have some fun, go for what the other anons are telling you to.
Good luck OP, hope you have some fun whatever you end up doing.

read the first ish by stan lee & jack kirby, then skip ahead to about ish 49 or so. read that stuff until around issue 66 (thats when it gets cancelled) or earlier if youre bored. then skip ahead to 1975 with the "giant size" issue 1. then start at issue 94 (67-93 are reprints) and read claremont until you get sick of it. dont read anything that came out after the first movie w/ jackman.

This ones for you morph.

Start with stand alones, if you like them then start author runs like Morrison and Claremont.

These ones are great:
Days of Future Past
God Loves Man Kills
Dark Phoenix
Messiah Complex
Wolverine Origin

some others that are ok, but not as good:
Old Man Logan
House of M
Age of Apocalypse
Schism

Dark Phoenix by itself sucks. You need to read everything leading up to it in order for it to be good.

Wait for Hickman

I get the impression the Claremont stuff is really cozy. Like it's so good because of unexpected character interactions and little things that have fuck all to do with earth ending events or anything, like Kitty and Magneto visiting a Holocaust survivor event or Colossus using Psylocke as a model for his art.