Is this the most overrated series ever?

Just because it's capeshit which is not printed by Marvel or DC, it gets compared to Sandman and Watchmen. Not even Love and Rockets and Stray Bullets get as much hype as Hellboy. Usagi Yojimbo, BPRD, Concrete, The Goon, and Mind MGMT and Black Hammer from modern ones are the much better Dark Horse series.

Attached: hellboy4_400.jpg (400x320, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sju.edu/news-events/news/hercules-superman-ancient-heroes-inspire-modern-comics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

Yes. It's inarguable.

I want to defend it but Mike's been spinning his wheels on Hellboy since The Third Wish.

>it's capeshit
Fuck off newfag.

>it's capeshit
okay, define capeshit then

*smacks your post around effortlessly*

Ha, you thought you could defeat me?

*watches you get powered-up by remembering your friends or confronting your destiny*

Oh no no no, this can't be happening!

Should I put "capeshit" in my filter list?

Unfiltered genreshit is capeshit.

I don't think it was possible for Yea Forums's mental capacity to drop down even lower but you just set a new low

Reeeeee let me enjoy my muscleman punching monsters comic.

Yea Forums really is just the worst fucking board.

There are some strong contenders, but it's definitely in the running.

You're asking if this is the most overrated comic ever, and yet you are clearly aware of Sandman since you mention it in your post. I suggest you give this matter some more thought.

People with super powers sharing a universe and a pool of antagonists and spread across several different series.

It's shit, finally someone gots the balls to say it

Yup. it's full of retards like that for whatever bizarre reason feels a need to page10 bump a dead thread for no other reason than to let it sink back to page10 so he can bump it again.

Bingo

I wanted to like it and I'm gonna keep reading in the hopes it gets better but I didn't really like the first 2 books.

It gets better, as all long running things that are acclaimed, the real question is wether it stays better. I love the shit out of hellboy in hell, and there's always Arcudi/Davis BPRD if you want something more plot-oriented, so I'll say it does.

Usagi and BRPD are indeed better series, imo. But that doesn't make HB overrated. I'm very disappointed in how the series is ending because it's quit shit, but HB in its prime was a gorgeous and interesting comic.

yeah and its fans are autistic because m=y psuedofantasy attracts a ton of D&Dfags

But this doesn't happen in Hellboy. The fights are usually over relatively quickly, and if he powers up it's usually either grim determination or demonic shenanigans.

>Black Hammer
opinion disregarded

Attached: 1513719363209.jpg (255x224, 20K)

Fuck off OP your opinion is shit

Attached: FC30003A-DB9E-4A9B-9075-2644D1BD6623.png (386x551, 233K)

Hellboy has been bullshit for ages now.

You are one of the dumbest posters ive ever seen on this board.

This board is reaching new lows and this comes after fall 2018 which was a spectacular display of room temperatur iq

You know something funny, OP? If The Devil You Know had never been made I'd tell you to cram that shit, but now that it has and Mignola's rushing through somethin we waited decades to see resolved? You're right for all the wrong reasons, but aside Mignola kind of gave you a point.

BPRD was always better

why are people disputing that Hellboy is capeshit? Hellboy is a superhero, he fights bad guys, he lives in a big, highly developed universe shared by other hero types that also fight bad guys. You know companies other than DC and Marvel can publish superheroes right?

Pretty sure you’ve called me an idiot hundreds of times during our time here, user. But I love you, I’ve always loved you.

I hope your day is nutritious and your belly is full.

>hurrdurr is popular so is overrated
kel

>he fights bad guys
So do every heroes of action movie ever.

right, but if you've read hellboy and other mignolaverse comic you'd quickly come to the realization that these are just "alternative" superhero comics. some people just think being called "capeshit" is a bad thing when in reality it can be a strange term of endearment that superhero fans themselves use. some people want to protect hellboy's status as "high art" within comics and so anytime it's labelled as a superhero people freak out. but just read it and you'll see that's what it is

My suggestion is to read volume 3; that's basically the tone and structure for the bulk of Hellboy, and if you don't like that then don't waste time on the rest of it.

This is not the last airbender

lol user are you so retarded you think pulp comics are capeshit?

>retard is so fucking dumb he thinks anything descended from pullp is automatically superhero

Hellboy and its spin-offs are action horror pulp, not superhero.

You're the same kind of retard who thinks The Phantom, Zorro, or The Shadow are superheroes.

wikipedia>your bum asses

Attached: Capture.png (483x157, 9K)

nice wikipedia citation retard

>we've reached such a low IQ average on this board that stupid fucking faggots are actually openly being wikipedia warriors
>Wikipedia
>A site full of retards who dont know anything

Embarrassing.

Attached: 1511321773902.png (337x334, 172K)

>A site full of retards who dont know anything
versus Yea Forums? gimme a break

Hellboy isnt a fucking superhero you fucking retard.

The difference is nobody is citing Yea Forums for categorization or word definition, faggot.

yes he is. it doesn't make him any lesser. just accept it

BUT HE FUCKING ISNT.

THATS LIKE SAYING THE BEAST FROM BEAUTY AND THE BEAST IS A FUCKING SUPERHERO, ITS WRONG. HOW IS HELLBOY A SUPERHERO?

>A superhero is a type of heroic stock character, usually possessing supernatural or superhuman powers, who is dedicated to fighting the evil of their universe, protecting the public, and usually battling supervillains.
combined with the fact he operates in a shared universe, with shared continuity, with other superheroes like lobster johnson and abe sapien. i don't know how you can read hellboy/mignolaverse and come to any other conclusion that it's just a "cooler" superhero comic. why does it bother you so much that he is categorized this way? do you think it makes him lesser? i assure you it does not.

So literally every character for the past millennia who has power mildly above that of a normal human is a superhero now? Like Samson?

Do you see how fucking retarded that sounds?

>combined with the fact he operates in a shared universe, with shared continuity, with other superheroes like lobster johnson and abe sapien
Lobster Johnson is a costumed pulp vigilante like The Shadow you retard, he isnt a superhero.

Abe Sapien is also not a god damn superhero.

the difference is hellboy was created with the superhero archetype in mind and firmly established, where as samson is a character in the old testament of the bible.

back to my last question, why does it bother you so much that hellboy is a superhero?

NO HE FUCKING WASNT YOU DUMB CUNT.

HELLBOY IS BASED ON FUCKING PULP COMICS AND OLDSCHOOL HORROR, NOT FUCKING SUPERHEROES.

>back to my last question, why does it bother you so much that hellboy is a superhero?
BECAUSE HE FUCKING ISNT, YOU ARE FUCKING WRONG.

Sandman is shit. Black Hammer is fucking steaming, stinking infectious shit.

you're really worked up about this lol. i'm going to let you have this moral victory because i don't want to be responsible for anything crazy you might do! okay buddy, hellboy isn't a superhero ;)

What do you get out of this anyway? You want to get rid of anyone's enjoyment of comics by labelling them superheros? Because you know that genre has a stigma for being for plebian morons.

The "Hellboy is a superhero" narrative, which is fucking wrong, is how we get bullshit like the new movie.

THAT SHIT is because people keep calling him a Superhero, thats why we're getting "DUDE I"M ON YOUR XD SIDE XD DAMN WEAPON XD SAVE DA WURL ER SUMTIN XD XD XD" GOTG ripoff bullshit instead of actual Hellboy.

He fucking isnt, he's old school horror and pulp inspired action-adventure, fucking half of the Hellboy titles are him just wandering around encountering mythological creatures, not even with the BPRD, and the character himself isnt "based on the superhero" archetype, he's based on Mignolas father. Mignola has literally said that the original concepts was more like superhero shit, but he went another direction because he didnt want to do superhero shit. Its like calling the grimms fairy tales superheroes or some bullshit, its wrong. Factually and categorically its wrong.

> You want to get rid of anyone's enjoyment of comics by labelling them superheros? Because you know that genre has a stigma for being for plebian morons.
i mean, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think that superhero=bad. watchmen is superheroes and it's good. batman year one is superheroes and it's good. hellboy is superheroes and it's good. who cares what people think? if seeing something labeled "superhero" turns them away then that is their problem.

Because "superhero" colors the perception of people who get into creative positions of power.

THATS WHY THE NEW MOVIE LOOKS LIKE SUCH FUCCKING SHIT. BECAUSE THEY THINK HELLBOY IS A SUPERHERO.

>any year
>arguing with someone who's pretending to be retarded in order to drag out the arguing for as long as possible
I have over 200 Costanzas and I'm not sure it's enough to illustrate just how much you two deserve to get mocked.

Attached: shiggy.png (1745x808, 1.89M)

I agree. Mignola's incredible but Hellboy is still fast food pulp. And it absolutely is a superhero comic. You'd have to be insecure and delusional to think otherwise.

Nah it's pretty good as far as comics go, especially capeshit

You underestimate how stupid the people on this board are user.

You are vastly overstimating their intelligence. This isnt an epic troll, its a retard who is being a retard.

>BECAUSE THEY THINK HELLBOY IS A SUPERHERO.
but that's wrong. he's just a different kind of superhero than say, superman or captain america.

Pulp isn't the same as capeshit even though capeshit spawned from pulp.

Attached: He's a superhero.png (622x242, 55K)

Does Mignola himself qualify?

Attached: asd.png (658x530, 247K)

If the complete disregard for proper grammar and the "lolol i'm totes letting you win, wink" didn't raise several red flags, then you need to lurk more user.

There are people on this website that are so crushingly lonely that they're willing to do anything to get other people to acknowledge their existence, in the form of (You)s.

There's been quite a few anti-Mignola/Hellboy posts lately. Are they trying to ape the outrage campaing for the Captain Marvel movie for the Hellboy reboot or something?

Attached: Hell-Bait.jpg (868x1144, 211K)

Lot of people ITT seem really threatened by Hellboy's superhero status. Cause for concern? We'll see.

Superheroes are superheroes.

Not the OP but if you haven't been keeping up with BPRD, it has turne dinto pure shit and Mignola doesn't seem to care to even give it a decent conclusion. Despite there being one issue left before the chronological end of his universe, plenty of plot points and past interesting stuff has been literally forgotten or rushed in retarded ways that contradict previous books.

Mignola specifically changed the core concept when he originally created it specifically to not do superhero shit.

He's just saying that now because he clearly doesnt give a shit about the franchise anymore, just look at how terrible the new movie looks and how the comics have gone to shit.

Stop making shit up.

Does that make Hellboy overrated?

>

Attached: bec3b689829295c295a59b92710f8d9d.png (725x908, 336K)

Arcudi made some vague twitter posts about having nothing to do with the movie despite it featuring Daimo and Abe and Howards just got wasted in the latest issue. People seem to be upset.

cope

Pulp heroes aren't superheroes

What about Batman and Superman

First off, you're retarded.

Second, even if they were in 1938 and 1939, they havent been that way for 80 years. Superman started the god damn Superhero craze for christ sake, you're actually going to question this?

>comparing hellboy to watchmen
who does this?

Why not? They're both superhero comics

They evolved from pulp heroes and whatever pulp origins they had were cut from the characters decades ago.

Man I wish Devil You Know wasnt so fucking garbage
How could this have happened outside of Mignola rushing the ending, fucking Arcudi and Davis, Dark Horse trying to milk as much of the series as they can and the obvious writing of the series so it can fit into 3 trades

Why is everything pulp based always better than the things it inspired years or decades later?

>pulp heroes arent superheroes

you know nearly all superheroes are either pulp or inspired by pulp right?

>superman
>batman
>dr strange
>f4
>cap america
>green lantern
>iron man
>spider man
>thor
>etc

>inspired by pulp
there's the key word

so hellboy is a pulp superhero

That’s three words.

hellboy isnt a superhero though, hes a demon who fights monsters

> isnt a superhero though, hes a demon who fights monsters

Attached: Etrigan-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 193K)

until he has the high melodrama of cape characters and actually does some superheroing, hes not a superhero.

You are extremely stupid.

decipher this post for me

>itt bourgeoisie purity panic.
Lol.

Mignola is a bad writer, even by capeshit standards

No, this is.

Attached: 07659B49-2845-491B-9948-9E59427DC38E.jpg (1670x2560, 893K)

Did Hellboy go patrolling city rooftops looking for crimes to stop or did he fuck off to Africa to get drunk and talk to fish people?

how can one man get so much worse over time

Attached: 90s vs today.jpg (796x582, 86K)

I feel like had to have had some kind of stroke in the mid 00's or something.

Up to Conqueror Worm was clearly a stylistic choice of him simplifying to make everything more symbol based than literal based, but something must have happened a little after Screw On Head .

Conquerer Worm is the peak for sure

If Dark Horse wanted to milk the series it'd keep going for ages.

>but something must have happened a little after Screw On Head .
I think it's just that he'd already become made money and career wise and no longer had to try as hard.

superheroing, in its most basic form, is saving people and putting the bad guy in jail

>oh no a mobster pushed lois out of the 100th floor of the daily planet
>superman rescued her and then punched the villain in the face and dropped him at the police department

thats basic fundamental superheroing, hellboy does nothing like that in the comics.

you are making the classic mistake of thinking that superhero and vigilante are synonymous. hellboy does not need to fight street crime to be a superhero

not op but i agree

Attached: magneto from star wars in a crab suit.png (768x1024, 699K)

If the term "superhero" is so fucking vague it can apply to Superman, Punisher, Hellboy, Batman, Etrigan, and John Constantin all at the same time, why does it even fucking exist, because it cleartly means nothing.

This has got to be the lowest stskes argument I’ve seen here in years.
Fuck yeah, anons!

if you cannot see what all of those things have in common then you must not read very many comics

superhero=western comics in most peoples eyes

i guess its like saying all manga is like cute japanese school girls

Name what the fuck Punisher and Hellboy and Superman have in common.

Fucking list 15 commonalities.

>Fucking list 15 commonalities.
what is this a pop quiz? fuck off

15 hahahaa
I am entertained

Kek

>IF YOU CANT SEE HOW THEY'RE ALL SIMILAR...
>Then list how they are
>LOL NO

So you're just admitting you're wrong and are talking out of your ass.

do it you stupid ignorant faggot

I’m just loving your game, user. Don’t get flustered.

You totally won. When’s the parade?

If theres so many obvious similarities between Punisher, Hellboy, Constantin, Superman, Batman, and Etrigan, fucking name them.

Not shit like "dey fite da bad guy" or "dey iz strong", i want you to name each and every commonality between all of them that they share that makes them a "Superhero", i want you to name 15, fuck, name 10, fucking name FIVE, i want you to justify the term "superhero" and explain to me what exactly it fucking means because if all of those characters can be considered a "superhero" despite how glarringly apallingly different they all are, it clearly means fucking NOTHING.

1. exaggerated manliness
2. farcically over-the-top villainy
3. recurring villains, who may have been thought dead
3. incompetent law enforcement
4. supernatural/alien elements
5. resolutions to conflicts are generally wrapped up in an encounter or two.
6. They involve exaggerated destruction/violence
7. The hero is sometimes injured, even grievously, but recovers with little/no obvious damage, maybe a scar under the clothes (temporarily).
8. The government/military/intelligence are dicks, even when it's clear the hero is saving the day
brb getting a Big Sip.

shut up autist

Hellboy should never have left the BPRD

no, probably the most consistently good read.

Don’t stop. Won’t stop. Can’t stop. Woooo.

That’s not how artist see this. A master artist will use as few lines as possible to illustrate. If you look at all his work from his start to present you can see a craftsman honing his skills to it bare essentials.

You should read a design book some time, very interesting stuff.

. exaggerated manliness
How are Hellboy, Etrigan, and Constantine examples of "exaggerated manliness"?

>2. farcically over-the-top villainy
Literally meaningless and not exclusive to cape comics. Also, Punisher? Constantine?

>3. recurring villains, who may have been thought dead
Again also literally meaningless because this is not exclusive to cape comics and also Punisher kills 99% of his and Hellboy has like, two antagonists like that

>3. incompetent law enforcement
Fucking what does this have to do with Hellboy

>4. supernatural/alien elements
Punisher does not.

>5. resolutions to conflicts are generally wrapped up in an encounter or two.
What the fuck is this even supposed to mean? This shit is not exclusive to cape comics, its not even fucking exclusive to fucking radio, this shit is in the fucking bible and shakespeare and old greek poems, what the fuck are you talking about.

>6. They involve exaggerated destruction/violence
So Godzilla is superhero? Also, fucking again, what does that even mean. Is any movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger a superhero movie by default? Is fucking Conan The Barbarian a superhero?

>7. The hero is sometimes injured, even grievously, but recovers with little/no obvious damage, maybe a scar under the clothes (temporarily).
You are literally just describing every action movie from the past 40 years.

>8. The government/military/intelligence are dicks, even when it's clear the hero is saving the day
You have never once read Hellboy.

9. All three characters have a Black and White view of the world
10. They aren't willing to compromise their own moral code even for a better resolution
11. All three have lost immediate family in an awful tragedy.
12. All three of them wear a symbol when fighting Evil
13. All three are are comic characters with multiple motion picture adaptations
14. All three have fought and defeated at least one large carnivorous animal in unusual circumstances
15. Jackie Chan

>15. Jackie Chan
lol

>9. All three characters have a Black and White view of the world
What the fuck are you talking about holy shit read a comic once in your life.

>10. They aren't willing to compromise their own moral code even for a better resolution
You are actually retarded

>11. All three have lost immediate family in an awful tragedy.
This is not exclusive to superheroes in any way

>12. All three of them wear a symbol when fighting Evil
Hulk doesnt, he's a superhero. Thor doesnt, he's a superhero. Hellboy hasnt really worn one for like 20 years.

>13. All three are are comic characters with multiple motion picture adaptations
So you're bullshitting at this point.

>14. All three have fought and defeated at least one large carnivorous animal in unusual circumstances
So the mythological Heracles is a superhero?

>15. Jackie Chan
>memeshit
>Thinking thats funny
What is this faggotry

Attached: 1433250343796.jpg (194x273, 26K)

you should lie down or something bud you're gonna have an aneurysm if you keep this up. you found out hellboy is a superhero, but you're acting like you found out the world is run by lizard people. relax

You asked for commonalities between the three characters, you did NOT specify that they had to be traits unique to those three and no other characters/genres. You sandy vagina.

I was making a point about the fucking term "superhero" and how meaningless it is.

Also half of your shit is wrong anyway.

>So the mythological Heracles is a superhero?
Literally considered one of the first, you brainlet.

Attached: 2ldenj.jpg (640x845, 108K)

sju.edu/news-events/news/hercules-superman-ancient-heroes-inspire-modern-comics

Inspired superheroes doesnt mean he is a superhero.

He's the template for them.

if he started off with the style on the right today people would call it tumblr

One is capeshit about punching evil. The other is high literature about the human condition aka pulp horror. Only a fool will compare them.

>separating Hellboy and BPRD
For what purpose?

But he is though, he's even been an Avenger.

Because they're two different comics?

Literally the same though.

I get more of a episodic vibe from BPRD while hellboy is this long drawn out sequence. Hell on Earth not included.

But that's the exact opposite, BPRD is the book with overarching narratives and Hellboy is the book where 90% of it is "Hellboy punches monster the end".

Not at all. Before even getting into the differences, they are literally different titles. Hellboy, the comic book. And BPRD, the comic book. There is also Hellboy and the BPRD, a third title.

user.

MYTHOLOGICAL Heracles, not Marvels Hercules.

It's the same person.

Hercules doesnt exist, user.

Attached: c1c.gif (200x200, 125K)

If he doesn't exist, how do you so readily recognize him?

user please tell me you understand the difference between reality and fiction.

Of course. Reality is that you know exactly who Hercules is. Therefore Hercules is real. If there was no Hercules, you wouldn't know who he is.

Seek help.

Attached: c1c.png (200x200, 44K)

You have no argument
In your heart of hearts you know the truth of Heracles is plainly writ on it
You are without excuse