How was Aang able to master the Avatar state if he did not let go of Katara?

How was Aang able to master the Avatar state if he did not let go of Katara?

Attached: 1522625909292.jpg (957x700, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7R83IBliti0
vimeo.com/175638960
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5to0S519g
youtube.com/watch?v=eQyzUSWXdt0
youtu.be/hFrCdalJ-xs?t=821
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He figured out to min-max it by only letting go of Katara while in the Avatar state and then grabbing back onto her when he's done.

he got rocked in the right spot

>He figured out to min-max it by only letting go of Katara while in the Avatar state and then grabbing back onto her when he's done.
>this is literally what actually happened
BRYKE

pathik was a dumbass that almost fucked everybody

Attached: Guru_Pathik.png (333x250, 87K)

This, all Aang had to do was stop thinking about his waifu for a couple of minutes, use the hax power-up to defeat all of his enemies and then go back to obsessing over Katara's brown ass.

The guru either was trying to get Aang to follow him in an enlightened hippie monk lifestyle or he was a dumbass that couldn't see that very obvious loophole

>stop thinking about his waifu for a couple of minutes
I wish I knew how to do this permanently. My ex was a cunt.

rocks.

Y'all are all idiots

The point wasn't to let go of Katara forever, it was to realize that there were things more important that Katara--ie the balance of the universe

Fucking Roku had a wife and kids, you guys are just idiots who can't into context

If you can't comprehend that, just go with for now

Bad writing.

Bryke tries to make it seem like he "lets go" of Katara during Crossroads of Destiny by having Aang say "sorry Katara" while entering the Avatar state to....save himself and Katara.

It's fucking stupid. Aang's entire character arc was destroyed so that Kataang could become canon.

>It's fucking stupid. Aang's entire character arc was destroyed so that Kataang could become canon.

isn't one of the creators actually using Aang as a self-insert?

*Y'all are M Night Shamalamadingdongs
FTFY

How the hell did that rock jamming into his back wound re-activate his Avatar state during the final Ozai fight?

Aang actually cared about Katara and about the fate of the world. Korra could let go because she never gave a shit in the first place. She was the perfect cosmic stooge. Someone for the forces at large to channel through without any worry of emotional interference because there was never anything there in the first place.

No, you're an idiot.

>"Roku had a wife, so it's all good!"
Except she was never his earthly attachment. Roku saw her, thought she was hot, and by Aang's own description had basically no contact with her ("that girl who didn't know you existed!".

When Roku became Avatar and had to leave the Fire Nation, she was not a limitation on him at all. Roku tells Sozin that he's worried and nervous but he never says "oh and that chick I like, I'll miss her!" She's a non issue.

You equating her with Katara because "lol she's the Avatar's cumdump" is brainlet tier because it lacks an understanding of what an earthly attachment is and who Katara and Roku's wife were to Aang and Roku.

Katara was not some chick Aang saw, thought was cute, and then forgot about. She was his friend, teacher, and mommy surrogate. Roku doesn't consider being away from her to be an issue. For Aang, because away from Katara for, what, a fucking week to be with the Guru is a source of extreme anxiety. He starts having visions about her in danger almost immediately. Roku did not act that way at all.

If Roku had an earthly attachment, it was his friend, Sozin. Roku spent a lot of time with Sozin, regarded him highly as his prince and Fire Lord, and was genuinely sad at the prospect of being torn away from him (Sozin literally comforts him by giving him a royal artifact).

Sozin hinders Roku's ability to be a good Avatar because of the emotional significance he has. Sozin dreams up a war, and Roku just tells him to knock it off. Sozin starts colonising the Earth Kingdom and Roku just slaps him around a bit. Roku's inability to overcome his love for his friend for the sake of the world is far more comparable to Aang's feelings for Katara than his wife, who had literally zero impact on his Avatar career.

Kuruk had a wife, and along with Roku were the biggest fuckups till Korra. Kyoshi and Yangchen were unmarried and were better Avatars, so even with your argument you're wrong.

Attached: 02B0CBBD-B606-4C7A-9081-81C37357759B.jpg (1253x1920, 320K)

chakras and shit

>How was Aang able to master the Avatar state if he did not let go of Katara?

He realized that he didn't have to let go of her, he merely had to let of of his Earthly attachment to her. Enlightenment does not mean forsaking love, it means understanding that love -like all else- is a temporary state and one must rise above it before it can truly be appreciated.

Pathik wanted to rush Aang's development, Yangchen chided his approach. The other Avatars did not do this. Aang could enter the Avatar State at will essentially because he finished his character arc.

Attached: Avatar Aang_trim7.webm (960x540, 3M)

He let go of his fear of losing her

How does getting punched in your gut make you re-think why you're spending 90% of your nights going to orgies advertised on telephone poles? The human spirit is weird.

he did let her go, but before he turned super avater azula used thunderbolt and fucked his chakra point, luckily ty lee trained a friendly to knock it back in place when he needed it the most. Friendlyy rock is the real hero of this story.

Chackra sandwich is good. Yum!

it's canon that Pathik was wrong, the show literally has Iroh and Yangchen spell this out for us. don't listen to the headcanons.

Basically. Right down to having no hair and being a vegetarian.

The story implies that Aang totally let go of Katara in Crossroads of Destiny ("sorry Katara"), which is retarded for reasons I'll explain in a second. The block is then shifted away from Aang's feelings to the fact Azula struck him. The physical truama "blocked" the chi and Ozai pushing Aang against the rock breaks open the flow by hitting him at the same chakra point.

This is retarded for several reasons. First, the chakra isn't in the wrong place. Aang's earthly attachment chakra was in the head....but being struck by lightning in the stomach and hit by a rock in the back blocks and unblocks it?

Secondly, when the fuck did bending cause chakra blocks? Ty Lee could tap people and cause temporary chakra blocks, but we never saw bending do that. If truamatic injury causes chakra blocks, then why could Zuko still bend after he got Azula'ed? Why would additional physical truama undo the blockage induced by Azula? Shouldn't Ozai's strike block more chakras?

Finally, Aang never let go of Katara. He acts possessive and demanding of her all throughout the Ember Island Players (getting triggered over Sifu Hotman sitting next to his waifu and seeing his waifu getting FIRE FLAKED onstage; kissing Katara when she already said no).

It's shitty writing.

Try telling this to a buddhist or a hindu and they'd laugh you out of the room.

>finished his character arc
Aang's arc was literally butchered.

>he let go of his fear of losing her
Except for that time Aang got triggered by a play actor Katara kissing a guy she hated like a week ago on stage. Yep, really let go.

Attached: FAD5CBBE-054C-471E-A3EA-CFE0BD2E1E6B.jpg (540x464, 66K)

>Iroh
Fair enough, but I take issue with that.

>Yangchen
[citation needed]

Iroh does tell Aang that chosing love is more wise than desiring "protection and power". But, to quote Redlettermedia, [Aang] never really sought power, and there's nothing really for him there". If anything, Aang has always avoided power because he's frightened of the responsibilities power entails ("Why didn't you say you were the Avatar?" "Because I never wanted to be.") Yeah, Iroh's right to say love is better than chasing power, but the very framing of such a dictonomy applies way more to Azula and Zuko's situation than Aang's.

>Yangchen
She tells Aang that spiritual fulfillment is less important than Avatar duties. In other words, sorry Aang, your inhibitions about killing Ozai are irrelevant. She says nothing about love.

>Pathik was wrong
He says that if Aang left he'd be fucked going into the Avatar State and was right until deus ex machina occured.

Could the block have anything to do with the fact that Aang may have briefly died before Katara used the special water on him after he was struck by Azula? Roku warned him about how being killed in the Avatar state would break the reincarnation cycle and cause the Avatar to cease to exist.

Help me understand the mindset of people who actually think kataang was a well written things

here come the shippers

>Kuruk had a wife, and along with Roku were the biggest fuckups till Korra
Except
This argument isn't about how good the avatars are
it's about how the avatar state works

So Kuruk COULD go into the avatar state, which proves my theory about how it's not actually about being able to abandon your waifu for a split second

>Secondly, when the fuck did bending cause chakra blocks? Ty Lee could tap people and cause temporary chakra blocks, but we never saw bending do that. If truamatic injury causes chakra blocks, then why could Zuko still bend after he got Azula'ed? Why would additional physical truama undo the blockage induced by Azula? Shouldn't Ozai's strike block more chakras?
It was a plot device block so Aang wouldn't be able to use the avatar state again until the series finale because of how overpowered it is.

man for a second I thought they gonna go with the full Buddish Monk route I mean he did shaved his head and full vegan

>briefly died
I suppose, but I would still consider that bad writing because that needs to be established. A simple, "death occurs when your chakras are truly devoid of energy".

What we know about death in the Avatar state is that it severs the past life link. However, Aang does not struggle to contact Roku. In fact, his ability to commune with past Avatars improves as he communes with Avatars he never spoke to before.

If the story was really trying to use death as the cause of the chakra block, they could have had Aang struggle to commune with Roku to show a fractionated - but not severed - link to the past.

What's fucking frustrating is that if you criticise Kataang you're dismissed as a seething Zutarian even if your critiques (1) have nothing to do with Zuko and Katara and everything to do with maximising the quality of Aang's character and (2) would actually make Kataang better in some cases.

Kataang fans (and Maiko and Korrasami fans, for that matter) should be angry at the way their ship became canon. If I was a Maiko fan, and Zuko forgot Mai was in prison so she had to break herself out, I wouldn't be happy, I'd be annoyed. Same with Kataang fans. If I were them, I would demand Aang and Katara have a conversation about what happened during Ember Island Players.

I love how you missed the entire central conceit of my post to go after the weakest part of my argument, a part that basically throws the other's user's faulty reasoning back at them as a joke, essentially.

>Kuruk could go into the Avatar state so that proves it's not about letting go of waifus
Holy fuck, my entire post was about how it's not literally abour waifus.

Attached: 6B11A36F-03FF-4C07-9751-2E24F0E6E42A.jpg (780x781, 141K)

It doesn't matter if Aang never wanted power or not, that was what the decision was. Mastery over the Avatar State (aka power) or his earthly attachments (aka love). Iroh commends Aang's decision because he knows the consequences of what lacking love can have on someone's psyche. It wasn't just about learning to live with the possibility of Katara's death or whatever, it was always about letting go of his feelings for her.
>Now, let all of those attachments go. Let them flow down the river, forgotten.
>I met with this guru who was supposed to help me master the Avatar State and control this great power, but to do it, I had to let go of someone I love. And I just couldn't.

Yangchen too says Pathik's method was wrong. Pathik wanted Aang to let go of his earthly tethers so he could detach himself from the world, later retconned into "entering the void."
>Many great and wise Air Nomads have detached themselves and achieved spiritual enlightenment, but the Avatar can never do it. Because your sole duty is to the world.
This was the show basically saying he was wrong, detachment isn't the answer. I wouldn't even call Crossroads of the Destiny Aang, when he briefly lets go of Katara, him truly mastering the Avatar State. True mastery is only activating it for a second for a specific task, like webm
and not just floating around waiting to get shock like he does in S2.

>He says that if Aang left he'd be fucked going into the Avatar State and was right until deus ex machina occured.
That is just more proof that he didn't fully know what he was talking about.
>You won't be able to enter the Avatar State at all!
and then Aang goes into the Avatar State half-a-day later. What was preventing him from going into the Avatar State after S2 was the wound he suffered at Azula's hands.

>She tells Aang that spiritual fulfillment is less important than Avatar duties.
This is unrelated, about killing the Fire Lord rather than letting go.

Attached: enter-the-void.gif (500x281, 1.08M)

>I love how you missed the entire central conceit of my post to go after the weakest part of my argument
not only do you spend most of the post not arguing, you're arguing the wrong thing

>Holy fuck, my entire post was about how it's not literally abour waifus.
That's what my post was about first, stupid

this is my impression of you
>Roku would rather fuck Sozin than his wife

To follow up on this
Even if Roku's earthly attachment was Sozin

HE STILL WENT INTO THE AVATAR STATE
THE WHOLE POINT IS TO REALIZE THAT BEING THE AVATAR IS MORE IMPORTANT
YOU'RE ALLOWED TO HAVE EARTHLY ATTACHMENTS

DING DING DING WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

>"okay so according to the cultures we're borrowing stuff from, earthly attachments are not condusive to enlightenment; plus, in a western literary tradition, the heroic arc requires some personal sacrifice."
>"Great!"
>"Yeah, so Aang lets go of Katara, or maybe Appa and Momo. Him throwing away his glider is an great demonstration of this."
>"Yeah the glider was g-wait... did you say that Aang doesn't get to launch his fruit pie into Katara's spirit oasis?"
>"Well that's definitely a possibility, there's al-"
>"But he's the hero."
>"So?"
>"The hero always gets the main chick."
>"Tell that to Goku or Luke Skywalker."
>"Yeah but I'm basically Aang so he has to get the girl."

>expecting Bryke to respect the cultures they stole from
These guys literally did a redeux of the Chinese invasion of Tibet and named a cartoon prison Laogai.

Attached: CE9B24B1-B8FA-4FCE-81E2-8CA11C226D55.jpg (443x750, 28K)

Goku still got a different girl

More over, should Aang have been able to fly after letting go of Katara?

Not unless he did it for real rather than for a few minutes. Though I think he was actually flying when Azula shot him.

Also, why don't Appa, Momo, Toph and Sokka count as earthly attachments?

>it doesn't matter that Aang never wanted X in an X and Y scenario
Then there is no decision or sacrifice, and thus no heroic arc.

>love
You're also operating on the assumption that Aang's love for Katara was a pure and healthy thing when it was demonstrably not.

>Yangchen's point about spiritual enlightenment
Except Patik never said Aang needed enlightenment, he needed to prioritise his job as the Avatar, which Yangchen agrees with. She was not talking about love, but Aang's moral issue about killing Ozai.

>detachment
You're creating this black and white ditochomy where it's either Aang's twu wuv or absolutely coldness to the world.

>briefly
Dude, you can't "briefly" let go of something. If I smoke, I "briefly" let go of smoking everytime I suppress the urge to go out to the smoke pit, but no one would ever say I'm not addicted.

There's no such thing as temporarily letting go of Katara.

Aang had to priortise his duties as Avatar. He refused. He lied to Sokka and Toph about it. He never apologised or owned up to it despite a huge part of his character growth being about him not running away and facing difficult situations. He continues to aggressively pursue Katara when she's obviously upset and scared to get into a relationship with another someone the Fire Nation could strip away from her and screams at her when she tries to explain. He gets Lion Turtled, deus ex machina's Ozai in the most overblown and emotionally vacant fight since Anakin vs. Obi Wan and does not sacrifice anything. Without apology, the series ends with him playing tonsil hockey with Katara. That's satisfying? That's true love?

>because the shitty writing made excuses for Aang to use the Avatar state, that makes Patik wrong

>Azula's hands
Dude, I said this. You're literally rehashing the things I thought were stupid and felt shouldn't have been canon and going "see, this happened". I know it happened. I think it sucked.

>hurrr u say they gay hurr

Attached: 38383FC8-263D-4ED6-8A4D-2165489F9017.jpg (631x618, 60K)

he literally does start flying immediately after letting her go, without any visible airbending assistance which is unprecedented even with the Avatar State. obviously not intentional (except maybe vague thought back then that "Aang starts floating because he let go of his 'tether'") but I do like how the shows sometimes line up like this purely by accident
youtube.com/watch?v=7R83IBliti0

>>hurrr u say they gay hurr
again
the argument isn't about how good the avatars are
it's about being able to go into the avatar state

please fuck off

Shouldn't he have retained that ability for the rest of the series?

In the end he didn't let Katara go

>What's fucking frustrating is that if you criticise Kataang you're dismissed as a seething Zutarian
That's because you legit sound like a seething shipper. Let it go nigga

So my problem is if bending is passed down through bloodlines, why is Aang even getting with Katara a good thing, unless he was going to have like 20 kids? Shouldn't he be having as many kids as possible so he could create more airbenders? I mean they kinda address this in Korra, but they had to pull a 'a bunch of random idiots get to be airbenders, because balance?' to do it.

Attached: 1552178275205.jpg (903x885, 105K)

Yeah, and he left Roku for a decade travelling the world. Could Aang have done that with Katara? I doubt it.

>allowed
Sure, Roku's "allowed" to do whatever he wants, but was he a good Avatar? Considering how an entire culture was SHOAHED on his watch, I respectfully disagree.

Yeah, he did.

I would have been cool with Aang having a wife. My argument is not "Aang can't get married". My argument is "Aang's attachment to Katara as we see it is unhealthy, a coping mechanism he uses to avoid dealing with the genocide of his people and an ultimate hinderance to his growth as a man".

Appa and Momo definitely do. Along with Katara, they're basically the proxies, security blankets, coping mechanisms he uses to process the Air Nomadic genocide.

>I don't care if the protagonist becomes good at his job so long as he fucks his oneitis
Shipperfags, everybody.

>being enthusiastic about cartoons on Yea Forums - Comics and Cartoons is bad
I rewatched the series a month ago / just reread Hero with a Thousand Faces and I'm not letting go of my anger because jt could have been top tier.

I always thought the idea of there being literally no other Airbenders a tad absurd. Every biologist knows that highly dispersive and abundant species are less likely to go extinct. Airbenders were 100% of the population and could travel anywhere anytime.

Attached: 50E2F64D-F3D5-4997-BCD6-FD0D209BF095.jpg (1037x1250, 594K)

once you go water
you wont' need another

why are you so butthurt about this
stop injecting your personal feelings about what ship is good into this

This is some top level autism. I"m impressed

I mean I am a Zutarian shipper, but that relationship would never have worked. The last (sane, not jailed) of Sozin's line, when he needs to produce numerous offspring to keep the royal bloodline, marrying a water bender peasant would not have gone over well with basically any of the nobility.
Azula still best waifu

Attached: 1552177922601.jpg (426x575, 45K)

>Then there is no decision
yes there is
why does there need to be a "sacrifice", why does he need to cow to the previous generation and get all his answers from other people rather than from himself. he was literally sitting on a better answer which Yangchen was completely oblivious to.

>You're also operating on the assumption that Aang's love for Katara was a pure and healthy thing when it was demonstrably not.
headcanon

>Except Patik never said Aang needed enlightenment
not specifically but that is what he wanted
>Learn to let her go, or you cannot let the pure cosmic energy flow in from the universe.
this is "spirtual enlightenment" to Pathik
it is obvious Aang and Yangchen are talking about Pathik's methods
>But the monks taught me that I had to detach myself from the world
Yangchen argued Aang needs to put aside his spiritual needs, preserving Air Nomad legacy by holding onto their values, because she thought it was the only way to end the war. She agreed with Aang about not cutting his attachments.

>You're creating this black and white ditochomy where it's either Aang's twu wuv or absolutely coldness to the world.
I'm not creating anything, this is what Pathik wanted. being a reclusive monk like he is isn't the way a Avatar should be.

>Dude, I said this.
>He says that if Aang left he'd be fucked going into the Avatar State and was right until deus ex machina occured.
that implies you thought him being unable to enter the Avatar State was a result of his failing to complete Pathik's training, rather than what Azula did.

>I mean I am a Zutarian shipper
Ha. Fucking called it

Splash on the ice
Pay the price.

Bend the coal
Pay the toll

Fly in the air
Roast worse for wear

>hurr you're autistic
Nah, I'm just someone who loves good stories and thinks a lot about what makes them great. If you're satisfied with schlock, I'm very happy for you, but I enjoy thinking critically about the media I consume.

>Zutarian
I have mixed feelings about Zutara.

>never worked
Anything can "work" if the writing is solid.

>needs to produce lots of heirs
Why? Only one gets to be Fire Lord.

>the political argument
I mean, yeah, in a real world scenario, marrying commoners rarely goes over well. With that said, I think it makes thematic sense.

>Azula best waifu
That she is.

>why does there need to be sacrifice
Haha, you're right. Why have conflict, either! Every show should be Steven Universe and have people just talking and hanging out with townies. Silly me. It's not like heroic sacrifice is a component of every great monomyth.

Jesus, I actually groaned audibly when I read that. This is too dumb.

Attached: 48058F80-FE2E-4390-9C57-2D25CC75858B.jpg (600x901, 258K)

>saying Aang's feelings for Katara is unhealthy is headcanon but saying Patik wanted Aang to become enlightened when he never explicitly says that is not headcanon because reasons

>Haha, you're right. Why have conflict, either!
are you seriously comparing sacrifice to conflict, Aang already lost his entire way of living and everyone he knew for 4/5th of his life and worked his ass off throughout the series. he didn't need to lose Katara to sell the journey.

Attached: b0c1acbb1ecd9d1a457ed9e38a35e17f.png (1023x765, 395K)

Just having bad stuff happen to you doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a victim.

Aang never made an active sacrifice. Zuko? He did - he gave up everything he ever wanted. That's why his charavter is more interesting and why his fight with Azula was better than Aang's fight with Ozai.

I think you're confusing me with that poster and again, proving what I said earlier about how Kataangfags need to dismiss all criticism of their ship as Zutarian seething.

Attached: CBB7EB06-C60E-4B12-8953-F99A76AD849A.jpg (228x320, 20K)

so what are you even arguing, are you saying Aang and Yangchen in the finale aren't talking about Pathik? that the whole "monks taught me to cut my attachments" isn't referring to Pathik, whose entire contention with Aang was about his inability to cut his attachments? I really hate when people fish for answers that should already be obvious

>"I'm not a seething shipper!" says increasingly desperate man for the twentieth time

>play with fire
>get a funeral pyre

Yea I am not the same as the autism poster. Nice try though Kaatang fag
poor Toph is left out with no husbando ;_;

you say Zuko gave up "everything he ever wanted" but really it wasn't everything he wanted. That's what he THOUGHT he wanted. Zuko was miserable in the Fire Nation. It isn't like a Spider-Man 2 sacrifice where Peter gives up his comfy life to get back into Spider-Man'ing... well actually that one gets oversold too considering he was practically forced back into it. But I'm not going to argue that Zuko wasn't the more enthralling character.

Why do people look so hard into the kataang dynamics? he's pretty much a kid/teen who fell in love for the first time in his life. He's basically going through all the steps and motions at once, with the added burden and stress of his mission, his past and his role, as well as the fact she's older. I find it perfectly normal for him to be immature, selfish and even paranoid. Again, he never had any guidance when it came to love whatsoever and probably never had any experience like it, so he's freaking out and doesn't know what to do.
Thing is, just because he acts like this does not mean his love for her isn't pure, or that he can't understand the fact that his role as avatar stands above all else. I really think people look too much into the whole thing. Could it have been done better? maybe, but this is what we got so might as well accept it and move on.

Bending isn't genetic.

>even arguing
That Kataang, as it exists in the show, was poorly written and actively hurt Aang's arc to the show's detriment.

>aren't talking about Pathik
>"the monks"
Pathik isn't an Air Nomad or a monk. Aang is referring to the actual Air Monks like Gyatso.

I mean, they are tangentially related since the whole issue is broadly Aang's Avatar status. However Aang works with the Guru to open his chakras, whereas his focus with Yangchen is the issue of killing Ozai.

>sparing Ozai's life
>which is actually one of the things about the finale I adored

I'm actually shocked you didn't accuse me of being a woman.

She got multiple dicks, so be happy for her.
>never Sokka's, though

>thought he wanted
I mean, yeah, to be technical. Zuko's natural empathy would always make him
unhappy in the Fire Nation. However let's not pretend being Fire Prince isn't objectively better than running around for your life, banished and alone, trying to help people who hate you, vagabonding about. Zuko might have genuinely felt satisfied with his decision, but it's the way any person who suffers for a good cause suffers. That's what makes him good.

>most enthralling
It's because his story is so heavily derived from other great hero stories. He's half Buddha, half Moses.

>he's just a kid
Exactly. Which is why it being framed as this twu wuv thing is absurd. It's a good thing Aang's attachment to Katara is clingy and adolescent. It gave him a chance to grow. The problem was Bryke then made them soul mates and never resolved any of those issues. One can't hide behind the "he's just a kid" defense and then frame it as this great epic romance.

>accept and move on
You're acting as if people complaining about stuff online has any bearing on their real lives. Perfectly functional people can write angry critiques.

It kind of is, though.

If your daughter tries water
It's time for manslaughter

Attached: B30B7B64-44D3-4D74-B304-92352CB98152.jpg (600x958, 119K)

Is it established that benders can be born into non-bending families? I must have missed that. And if that was the case, why were there no airbenders born in the 100+ years since Sozin?

>benders born into nonbender families
Who is Katara, for 500?

This is also kind of a chicken and the egg type question.

Attached: 79EA4A69-721C-47CD-BA67-F6A5C0FF7C7A.jpg (1000x587, 195K)

We literally have a case of twins with only one being a bender. It's supposed to be the spiritual connection in your soul that you gain from your society, which is why the destruction of air bender society destroyed the air benders.

The only problem is that Bryke et al have the spiritual sophistication of a libertarian and decided the only way to express this was via ENERGY FIELDS. You want interesting spiritual expressions based on where you were born? No, energy fields for you!

I never said it had irl impact, just that people still complain tot his day and still become so heated over a simple story, it's absurd. And again, the fact that his love for her came at a juvenile phase doesn't mean it has to be dismissed as merely childish infatuation and can't be, or become, true love. The same argument goes for both sides and it's not like young couples who stay together for a long time aren't a thing, especially after going through all they went.

>Aang is referring to the actual Air Monks like Gyatso.
it's obviously talking about Pathik subplot
>Now, let all of those attachments go. Let them flow down the river, forgotten.
>But the monks taught me that I had to detach myself from the world so my spirit could be free.
could not be anymore obvious
Pathik is very much a monk stand-in
Yangchen agreed with Aang's decision to not let go of his attachments

>That Kataang, as it exists in the show, was poorly written and actively hurt Aang's arc to the show's detriment.
you've made a very poor argument for this
the show would not have been any better if he let Katara go for no reason

>Gyatso is not a monk
>Aang literally talks about the Air Monks constantly
>"it's obviously talking about Pathik subplot"

I agree with you that Pathik is an Air Monk stand-in. However, Yangchen has no clue about what happened with him. All she knows is that Aang is in crisis over Ozai and deliberates upon that.

You can argue that's meant to connect to the chakra plot but that is pretty different from "Yangchen told Aang hitting Katara up was cool and that the Guru was wrong".

>you made a poor argument
[Citation needed]

>"no reason"
>saving the world is no reason
>moving past his emotional crutch and processing what happened to his people is no reason

>it's absurd to get heated and care about a story
Existence is absurd. I have fun arguing about this shit so I'm going to keep doing it. If you think I'm autistic or too aggressive or whatever to enjoy talking to me, close the tab. Do whatever.

>can't become true love
That's my point, dude. It could have become true love, if it was written well. It wasn't. It was absolute shit tier writing.

I think Kataang shouldn't have happened, but if if had to happen
>Aang should have lost Appa
>the whole Ember Island debacle should have never happened
>or Aang should have said sorry about it
I also think Aang should have apologised to lying to Sokka and Toph.

Attached: 58474083-7B8E-4F8F-84ED-3E98E1B0C5FB.jpg (480x480, 33K)

It is partly genetic, otherwise we'd have waterbenders being born in the Fire Nation or some shit like that.

Not the dude you were arguing with, but do you ship anyone? How would you have set them up? My understanding was that the original plan was for Zuko and Katara to get together, but they changed it for some reason.

>do you ship anyone
I don't really "ship" that much. I like certain characters (take a guess who my favourite is) and those characters usually aren't the romantic type. I think Sukka is genuinely sweet and likeable, and the closest thing to a "ship" I have. I'm not sure if "ship" is the right word, but I find the romantic / sexual dynamics between Ozai and Ursa, and Ty Lee and Azula interesting, but I would never call them healthy relationships.

>how would you set them up
I probably wouldn't set up teenagers and tweens with their future life partners.

>original plan...Zuko and Katara
I think you're spot on. I never "shipped" Zutara but was surprised it wasn't endgame.

I mean, for crying out loud, you have a story called "the Cave of Two Lovers" about people on opposite sides of a war, dressed in red and blue in a series where people are very colour specific in their clothing. Meanwhile you have Aang's feelings for Katara literally being equated with Meng's crush through the use of the same visual motifs. Considering how the series ended, those things all come off now as incredibly poorly thought out.

>some reason
Self insert getting the girl.

Pic sort of related?

Attached: 7224B965-8C3C-4541-B4E4-85BE6C98940E.jpg (314x320, 38K)

He never did? At least not in ATLA.
Pathik warns him he may never enter the state again, but he does vs Azula. He manages to avoid dieing but now there's this huge scar in his chakra path that later gets fixed by a magical BS rock.
He then enters the state because he is about to fucking die, and very nearly kills Ozai before wrestling back control.

You guys understand what AS mastery is right? It's the split second eye flash at will, staying in the state for a prolonged time with poor self-control in response to extreme trauma is pleb shit and Aang never gets past that in the good series.

Exactly, Aang wins via a fluke. Might be shitty writing but it doesn't contradict the setup. Neither him or Korra were able to make the necessary personal sacrifices to protect the world, and they both caused a lot of suffering as a result.

Attached: Korra_(Season_4)_appearance.jpg (220x307, 12K)

The real question is: why do Aang's tattoos light up when he goes in the Avatar's State if they are not related at all to the Avatar? They are just the Airbenders' tattoos not something special to the Avatar

Bad writing.

i liked the lavabenders in legend of korra being both earth/firenation mixed race. it made sense.

korra is ugly

Glow in the dark tattoos are cool to kids

They follow chi lines in the body.

Autism.

>Aang never gets past that in the good series.
You forgot the moment where after Aang took Ozai's bending away, he did exactly that split-second eye flash and raised the sea to flood the burning forest.
He mastered the Avatar State at the end.

>Kyoshi
>better Avatar
You mean the dumb cunt that let the earth kingdom be ravaged by decades of war and only did her job when her home town was in danger? For somebody talking about earthly attchments causing issues for Avatars you seem to forget Kyoshis attachment to her home and culture.

>Zhaofag much more human & objective than the rest of the fandom.
Based & you have my entire support.
I never liked both types of how handle elements (spiritualism & energy fields) and ended up making a personal logic in a own creation.
Just think about charging elements with real movements, styles or fighting stances.
Much more basic, but this will be much better when they do animation, with music that generates hype, not in the case of ATLA & TLOK.

>i have good opinions
>Which is why I don't know how to justify them with logic
okay user
get some rest
try not to sit down on anything hard

You're getting dumped on a lot and you don't deserve it. you're right

"let go" doesn't mean he has to stop caring about her, or abandoning her. It just means his attachments don't have to influence his actions.

You don't need to let go of your clothes to show you can live without them.

What energy fields are you talking about? The portals being opened giving airbending? It wasn't explained why that happened, just that it might be connected.
Similarly, ATLA never went deep into the origins of bending, just that people seperated themselves based on culture and element and learned bending from animals. Anything about bending being strictly tied to geography was fanfiction and headcanon.

If this is all you can say, you don't have a real argument.

Thank you! I don't even care about being "right" so much as getting an actual response rather than ad homs.

Yeah, Kyoshi - the woman who stopped Chen the Conqueror from taking over the world - is a better Avatar than Roku - whose incompetence resulted in the destruction of the Air Nation.

Everyone here is trying to make it a Kataang thing by saying that Kataang was poorly written... I'm sorry, what? Aang is a deeply traumatized, 12 year old kid. Of course there's no consistency to his love life, he just has a massive crush

>you don't have a real argument
>BTW THIS IS MY FAVORITE SHIP AND ALL OTHERS ARE TRASH
you have to leave

>the woman who stopped Chen the Conqueror from taking over the world
Only because it directly effected her hometown. She was completely fine with Chen doing anything else as long as her town was left as a sovereign state. Chen could have laid waste to every other nation and Kyoshi wouldn't have given a single fuck because it wouldn't have been "her problem" Ruko fucked up more but don't you dare say Kyoshi was competent.

What the fuck are you talking about? None of the things I said I "shipped" (ex.Sukka) are threatened by Kataang. I even listed points where Kataang could be improved if it had to be canon.

I think you're just irrationally ad homing me because you can't form an articulate response. If you're going to keep acting up, there's no point in responding to you again.

>anything...headcanon
It was never explicitly said, but there are Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom. If bending was a matter of cultural indoctrination, there should be Earth Benders with firebending. If it was a matter of connectedness to the land, you'd think some Fire Nation people would start to Earthbend, but we never see that in the text. That leads me to speculate it's partially genetic.

It would be cool to ser that being rebuked, however.

>make it a Kataang thing
I can't speak for other people, but it's a little annoying when you're someone who watched a show for it's character development, world building, and themes see two of those things be sacrified at the altar of lets-make-Kataang-canon. Whenever I mentioned Kataang it was because "letting go of Katara" definitely refers to his romantic feelings for her.

>he just has a massive crush
Exactly. Which is why Bryke later framing Katara as his forever girl is full retard.

>Kyoshi was totally fine with the rest of the Earth Kingdom being pillaged
Citation needed.

>don't you dare say Kyoshi....competent
And where did I say she was competent? I said she was better than Roku. I didn't even call her a good Avatar.
>having to strawman this badly

Attached: 4AD6B9E4-BC13-401D-8093-16E47113A0D9.jpg (799x418, 78K)

>"Yangchen told Aang hitting Katara up was cool and that the Guru was wrong".
that is practically what happened
she tells Aang that he shouldn't cut his attachments to let his spirit roam free untethered, aka EXACTLY what Pathik wanted to do. this was obviously the point of this subset of their conversation.

>"no reason"
>saving the world is no reason
at that point there IS no reason, the Avatar is not suppose to follow Air Nomad / monk philosophy like some sexually frustrated Jedi
>moving past his emotional crutch and processing what happened to his people is no reason
doesn't even make any sense

>tells Aang not to cut his attachments
Citation needed.

>the point of this unrelated conversation is obviously that my ship should be canon
Citation needed.

>at this point there is no reason
Thanks to the power of deus ex machina, there was no reason for anything, I agree.

>doesn't even make sense
Watch "The Guru" again carefully. The clouds take the form of the Air Nomads and then reshape into Katara. It's clear that Aang has projected a lot of his grief onto her. It makes sense, considering she plays the mom to him the same way Gyatso played the dad. That's part of the reason why losing her is so truamatic to him, it's like a second loss of the Air Nomads / his parental figure.

It's clear Aang's clinginess to the Air Nomads is unhealthy. He goes on a rampage when Appa is muzzled. He straight up risks being able to access the Avatar State (and thus the fate of the World) because of a vision that Katara may be in trouble. There's other examples but that's two. That's not normal. That's not reasonable. That's not healthy. That's not good for the world.

That's what I mean when I say that Aang uses mommy Katara as a coping mechanism. He needs to grow up and move past her, she drags him down.

>Kyoshi was totally fine with the rest of the Earth Kingdom being pillaged
>Citation needed.

>vimeo.com/175638960
>A horrible tyrant, Chin was expanding his army to all corners of the continent. When he came to the neck of the peninsula where we lived he demanded our immediate surrender. I warned him that I would not sit passively as he took our home.
She Literally states that Chin had taken nearly the entirety of the continent and ONLY when he threatened HER home did she decided to no longer sit passively.

>Citation needed.
>The monks taught me that I had to detach myself from the world so my spirit could be free.
>Many great and wise Air Nomads have detached themselves and achieved spiritual enlightenment, but the Avatar can never do it.
what the fuck do you think "detach myself from the world" means this literally could not be more obvious what they're talking about

>>the point of this unrelated conversation is obviously that my ship should be canon
I don't "ship" anyone

>The clouds take the form of the Air Nomads and then reshape into Katara
>The Air Nomads' love for you has not left this world. It is still inside of your heart, and is reborn in the form of new love.
there is nothing unhealthy about that, there is nothing unhealthy about moving on from great tragedy and letting yourself love again.

>It's clear Aang's clinginess to the Air Nomads is unhealthy. He goes on a rampage when Appa is muzzled.
>That's not normal
>That's not reasonable
christ
>He straight up risks being able to access the Avatar State (and thus the fate of the World) because of a vision that Katara may be in trouble
Aang choosing attachment over power was literally lauded by the shows moral compass, Iroh.

>was expanded
>was
And Kyoshi waiting until Chin was nearly successful is not the same as being totally cool with it. Avatar's don't meddle in every single political conflict, only when the world's balance is challenged. They're not superheroes.

>more obvious
That's actually a good point. I can see how it could be a proxy. Of course, Yangchen then says that the reason enlightenment doesn't work is because of responsibility to the world - ie not leaving Avatar training to help save the world to rescue your oneitis.

>don't ship anyone
I'm going to take you at your word here, but usually people who take issue with my critiques of the finale are Kataang shippers. Sorry for conflating you with them.

>moving on
Except Aang never did move on.

>letting yourself love again
Except it was literal projection of his past attachments onto Katara in a way that hindered him moving on. What you're saying would have been fine.

>christ
>he actually thinks its okay to hurt real human beings because an animal was muzzled
>not even seriously hurt
>muzzled

>Iroh
I already talked about Iroh in another post.

>moral compass
Except Iroh literally made tons of mistakes; he's not infalliable.

Attached: 7C4CD51B-6DB1-435D-85D6-D3046472F471.jpg (600x393, 48K)

You know i'm not the same user but...
Those fanart are your drawings?

Pic related for based and high iq Zhao poster. Are you also the dude who made the comic?

Attached: zhao.jpg (225x225, 10K)

>You know i'm not the same user
>user
>it's a tripfag
No shit.

That's the joke

Attached: 1542054285419.jpg (489x489, 25K)

>I can see how it could be a proxy.
I don't know how you can even not see it like that
just answer my question: what did Aang mean by "detach myself from the world"? What else could it mean if not Pathik's teaching?
>ie not leaving Avatar training to help save the world to rescue your oneitis.
according to Yangchen, that wasn't proper Avatar training. it's important for the Avatar to stay grounded on the planet. Yangchen was arguing for Aang to sacrifice his personal needs for the sake of the world, but it wasn't about Katara it was about his pacifism. there's no reason to "forget" his feelings for Katara and yes that was Pathik's intentions.

>Except Aang never did move on.
why? What does "moving on" mean to you? Abandoning everything they taught him? Never thinking about them again? It's not like Aang curled into a ball and couldn't stop sobbing over their deaths. He overcame his grief and stepped up to fulfill his duty as the Avatar. His feelings for the Air Nomads, or Katara, were never portrayed as toxic... and his reaction to Appa was a completely expected. Excluding Bumi, Appa was Aang's last friend from a bygone era and practically family to him. He could have already been chopped up for all Aang knew. He felt unbelievable hurt at his loss but, thanks to Katara, he didn't succumb to his rage. This is a normal immediate response from someone experiencing this sort of pain.

Attached: let-go-your-earthly-tethers.jpg (1594x1307, 219K)

>Avatar's don't meddle in every single political conflict, only when the world's balance is challenged.
And the map in the segment showed Chin took over the entirety of the earth kingdom with the exception of Ba Sing See and Kyoshi. I'm sure that has plenty of ramifications for world Balance.

Regardless of all that Kyoshi didn't even technically kill chin and would have left him to his own devices had he not fell cliffside taking kyoshi island with her. She didn't give a fuck about worldly balance just Kyoshi's status quo.

I always saw the mastery of your chakras as something of a metaphor for emotional maturity
with stuff like being able to move past your loss, getting over your fears, and learning from your mistakes as the lessons he needed to learn

the normal avatars, all of whom usually live a life of training in each element, reach adulthood before the avatar state is really shown under their control. Aang, in sharp contrast, was ultimately an immature kid about to go through puberty. in order to reach the emotional maturity to master the avatar state, he'd need to let go of his youthful views of the world and have to have a more adult mindset

Katara, seemingly, was his whole world. he'd willingly lie to her about her father just to keep her & her brother from leaving him
he'd have to learn that his love for her not greater than his duty to the world

of course, I'm completely ignoring Korra for this. she screams emotional immaturity

>she screams emotional immaturity
We have a winner

Attached: Majima_Demon_Dancing.gif (480x270, 767K)

Nah, they're Ruftoons. She worked as a storyboard artist (?) for Avatar, Kim Possible, etc.

>I don't even ...teaching
Jesus dude, no need to be a cunt.

>You're totally okay with Aang giving up his pacifism
>but you're okay with Aang clinging to his oneitis
Jesus, what a patently bad opinion.

>what does moving on mean to you?
I already told you.

>"Aang never processed what happened to his people. He is still clearly truamatised and clings to Katara, Appa and Momo as a result."
>"He's fine!"
>"Dude, he tried to kill those sand people."
>"You mean Arabs?"
>"Nah those people who muzzled Appa."
>"Oh, that's fine."
Literally, you said this:>"Hurting people for muzzling your pet is fine?"
>"Yeah."
>"Aang is possessive and jealous of Katara throughout the Ember Island Players and chooses saving her over his training. That's bad for himself, her, and the world."
>"He's just a kid!"

I've literally gone over several times in this thread why Aang exhibits an unhealthy degree of fixation on these three people with citations in text. Ultimately, it's not about the show anymore - because everything I listed happened - it's whether or not you think flying into a rage over a pet or seeing your waifu getting FIRE FLAKED in a play is acceptable behaviour. I say it's not, you evidently disagree. Now we're not talking about the show, we're discussing real world morality. And honestly? That's less fun for me.

Attached: 4BEFE1FA-8CD8-4281-B5D1-93A858FA6BC8.jpg (320x276, 29K)

>Jesus dude, no need to be a cunt.
I wasn't

>Jesus, what a patently bad opinion.
only explaining what I think is canon

>clings to Katara, Appa and Momo as a result.
it's just love, not clinginess.
>"Dude, he tried to kill those sand people."
the people who sold, what is essentially, his family "for parts." how was he suppose to react? He can't control the Avatar State, a rush of intense emotions is enough to trigger it. Also didn't actually try to kill them.
>He got angry when Appa was kidnapped! See! That's proof he's unhealthily obsessed with them!
mhm.

>I've literally gone over several times in this thread why Aang exhibits an unhealthy degree of fixation
nothing unhealthy about it, you can headcanon it so though.

Attached: MV5BMWIyYzU1YTItMmYwMi00OGE1LThjNDctZWI0Yjg0MDA2ZjhkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjYxMzY2NDk@._V1_.jpg (720x480, 29K)

I just wanna say now all this shit about Kyoshi literally began because I made a single joke about her being a better Avatar than Roku and very single to point out the fallaciousness of another user's post. I think it's a fun topic, and I'm happy to talk with you about it, but I just want to make it clear I don't see it as central to my stance on the OP topic.

Anyway, your argument is "Kyoshi only cared about her hometown and gave zero fucks about the rest of the Earth Kingdom". This is wrong for one central reason - the Dai Li.

The Dai Li were founded by Kyoshi to protect Ba Sing Se. Oh yeah, Kyoshi was cool with Chin "laying waste" () to the EK....except for that part where she defended the revolt from the Earth King and literally invented a police force in another city to protect it's cultural integrity. Yep. Totally fine with waste laying.

Chin was part of the rebellion against the Earth King at the time - a rebellion Kyoshi sort of agreed with since she made the King acquiesce to the rioters goals.

Kyoshi probably (and this is my conjecture) that Chin was a potential new leader of the EK (which makes sense, he's an EK man with a presumably EK army). People in the EK still swear up and down by the guy - he has a statue! Why should the Avatar deliberate on who the people of the nation deem their leader? As long as they're not invading, who cares? The Avatar's job shouldn't be defending the status quo of the current ruling regime. If that were true, the Avatar would literally be the enemy of democracy.

When Chin showed up at their door, that's when Kyoshi acted.

Is she perfect? Nah. There probably were other EK people who felt as those on Kyoshi felt and like you said, Chin made it to the edges of the continent.

But Kyoshi giving no fucks about anything outside her hometown? Completely wrong. I still stand by my position that she was a better Avatar than Roku. Not the best - not even good - but better than Roku.

Attached: 29C43015-B647-43C2-9DA1-AB6A1B7B1AE3.jpg (600x430, 68K)

>"I wasn't."
I concede a point and you rambled about how obvious it was. Cunt move.

>"it's just love, not clinginess"
See this excellent post . Oh yeah, lying to Katara about her long lost Father is "just love". Pulling her into a kiss when she says she's not sure about their relationship (likely because she's terrified about the prospect of another person she cares about being burned alive) and screams at her because of a play is "just love". Not clingy at all.

>"for parts"
You're wrong. Those weren't the sandbenders. The sandbenders sold Appa to merchants who made the "parts" comment. See the script for Appa's Lost Days.

And even if they had said that - Aang never heard it. All he heard was the muzzle comment and that was enough to trip him out.

>can't control the Avatar State
Exactly - because his emotions are unhealthy. The Avatar State is a defense mechanism to save one's life. This means that Aang is essentially having a panic attack over this. If your panic attacks are so severe over an animal that you endanger everyobe around you - you might have a problem.

>headcanon
Stop being catty like a woman.

Dude, if you were at a party, and I kicked the host's dog, and the host started smashing everything in the house and screaming and yelling while his girlfriend and friends begged him to stop, would you call that "healthy"? No. You'd say I'm a jerk, but that the host also has some emotional issues he needs to work out. That's what happened in the desert. Aang freaked out over his pet so badly he put everyone in danger, including his friends. Aang exterminated dozens - maybe hundreds - of Firebenders at the North Pole. He's sitting on an atomic bomb whose trigger is his feelings. Aang has issues - unhealthy attachment.

Attached: 511FA543-1BDC-4F67-9BB8-A13CD560CAEB.jpg (800x757, 96K)

Season 3 of this was hot garbage.

>stop being catty like a woman
Read it in Zhao's voice.

This. I heard there was supposed to be a fourth book, but it was cancelled.

I remember in that Katara's thread months ago that ended up revealing the alpha and beta phase of ATLA; they had the season 3 base ready and Azula was a man named Azul if I didn't forget ... but I don't know why they screwed up like that in the execution.
I'm still blaming Bryke & Eszah (whatever his fucking last name has)

The only reason the show was good was Aaron Ehasz, and it is blatantly apparent that he wasn't involved in Korra due to how bad it was.

Kataang guy here, you're absolutely right, it wasn't. But then it's Avatar, no ship is well written.

So you're just a shotafag then

that monk was full of shit?

>shota
>age difference is by 2 years
only if shipping katara is considered loli

Pretty much yeah. When something's so bad it directly appeals to your fetish and you still can't forgive it, then it's really badly done.

you obviously don't remember being a child, because 2 years at that time is a long time.

age difference is 98 years, Aang is a pedofork

Is Aang like the only male example of the anime "900 year old crystal dragon just LOOKS like a thirteen year old" thing?

He's not even an example of that though

Explain how bad the Dragon prince is then? The writing is the worst part by far. Avatar was a mixture of both Ehasz and Bryke's visions

>Bryke is Yin
>Ehasz is Yang
>Nobody can writing a consistent argument without the other.
That's fucking poetry

>I concede a point and you rambled about how obvious it was. Cunt move.
I had to explain the exact same thing over and over already, couldn't be sure you got it. Pointing out how obvious it is, which it was, is not a cunt move.

>Dude, if you were at a party, and I kicked the host's dog, and the host started smashing everything in the house and screaming and yelling while his girlfriend and friends begged him to stop, would you call that "healthy"? No. You'd say I'm a jerk, but that the host also has some emotional issues he needs to work out. That's what happened in the desert.
wow that is just awful
no it is not the same situation at all, do you really need me to explain why it'd be traumatizing for Aang? and I didn't say "for parts" as in Aang heard it too, but that was just a very real possibility that no doubt was running through Aang's head. anything could be happening to his big buddy. don't need me to explain this. anyone would be doing the same in his shoes, he couldn't control the Avatar State and it's not like he was actually trying to kill them the only thing he consciously did was destroy their vehicles.

>headcanon
This is pretty much the crux of it. This is literally just your headcanon. It was never the shows intention to write it so Aang and Katara have a deeply toxic relationship or whatever. Aang made some mistakes in regards with Katara because he's a kid. You just needlessly read too much into things.

Attached: F743a.gif (300x227, 360K)

Because he hit a rock and it did it for him because Bryke have no idea how to write endings that don't included some contrived plot device.

Ehasz makes good characters and keeps the world consistent.
Bryke gives us _____?

You are a blind idiot. Aang STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIGHT that Katara could'e been murder in (willing to bet that if Azula hadn't been setting up the Blitz Backstab on Aang, Kat wouldna survived) so he could try to resolve his attachment issues (tho, by the very act of turning his back on Katara in that dire situation, he'd already succeeded).

>on his watch
He was well-dead awhile before the Air Nomad Genocide, you dumb dick.

*could've
*murdered

FUCK

World building and an actual plot? The dragon prince is painfully bland in its worldbuilding and in 2 seasons the lot feels like its barely moved.

I haven't watched Dragon Prince.
Shame to hear it sucks.

user don't argue with him
he has issues

It has its defenders but its an inferior show to Atla in pretty every way and its clear much of the hype is because people want another avatar. It has some of the same type of charming dialog and humor that Avatar had but even its characters lack the heart and depth of the avatar's.

That's why i called their fandom "ATLA widows."

>2019
>Still no good sequel or spin off to ATLA
JUST

Attached: 1532845087012.png (500x533, 531K)

That's a pretty good description At least it stopping the whole "ehasz made avatar" wank that Yea Forums was obsessed with. It's clear how much lightning in a bottle that show was.

>so that Kataang could become canon
It was canon from Day One, nimrod.

Every other time I dip my toe back into Avatar threads I let myself get baited by an autist. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Aw, who'm I trying to kid?

>"Aang's attachment to Katara as we see it is unhealthy, a coping mechanism he uses to avoid dealing with the genocide of his people and an ultimate hinderance to his growth as a man".

Maybe that's why he turned into a shitty parent.

Naw, naw, I'm kidding; BRYKE hates parents, that's why.

>Try telling this to a buddhist or a hindu and they'd laugh you out of the room.

and show me one who has the advertised powers of enlightenment. they are wrong, enlightenment comes from the realization that all things are temporary. not locking yourself up and cutting yourself off from the world.

Toph was a dude, too.

>I wasn't being a cunt I was just calling it obvious
>but I wasn't being a cunt though
I find it funny you of all people are complaining about having to repeat simple concepts.

Whatever man, I'm not going to try and talk with someone like you.

Bryke was amazing at a lot of the flash and art direction. Koneitzko was a storyboarder on Zim before Avatar.

Bryke are amazing at the superficial, romantic, fun aspects of the show. The designs, the world building, the broad strokes.

The specifics were due to writers, and other staff like Sifu Kisu.

>Aang stopped in the middle of a fight to resolve his attachment
I saw what happened, user, I know that. I'm saying that was a lazy, poorly written moment.
>Aang literally leaves the Guru and his chance at mastering the Avatar state for Katara
>lies to Sokka and Toph to reach Katara
>glares angrily at Zuko for just talking to Katara in the cave
>stops midfight to gain control of the Avatar state for Katara
In your own words "a fight [she] could have been murdered in".
>wakes up
>never admits he lied to anyone
>acts pushy and possessive to Katara and jealous over Zuko (despite nothing going on between them) because of a play
>"Yeah but he totally resolved his attachment!"

>He was well-dead awhile before the Air Nomad Genocide, you dumb dick.
Except Roku first heard about Sozin's plans at his wedding. Then Sozin formed a colony in their middle years.

>want to have fun talking in depth about a cartoon I really like and recently rewatched on a board specifically for discussing cartoons
>"Hahaha you have issues."
???? Do you complain about people on Yea Forums talking about albums?

>her metaphorically giving birth to Aang is the ship becoming canon
This show literally evoked La Pieta. She was his mommy from day one. But hey it's cool if you're into that shit man no judgements from me.

Attached: CD6CD06B-AF6F-420E-8F79-92954256CB02.png (256x192, 46K)

>definitely refers to his romantic feelings for her.

No it doesn't.

I rewatched the series summer last year, it really is as good as I remembered, will it ever be surpassed in terms of that consistent quality episode to episode?

Also just had a dream last night that Azula made me worship her feet, which was a little random but I'm not complaining.

Attached: Azula.full.2436166.png (4800x2700, 3.34M)

>for Katara
No.

>never admits he lied to anyone
Guh?

>Except Roku first heard about Sozin's plans at his wedding. Then Sozin formed a colony in their middle years.
Sozin didn't plan to genocide the Air Nomads until *afte*r Roku died. He was making colonies in the *Earth Kingdom*...until Roku threatened to kill him. His intent was to *conquer the other nations for their own good*.

(personally, I think the genocide was a bit much for a Nick cartoon)

>She was his mommy from day one
No. At the worst, she was a midwife. Aang wasn't being born, he was *re-born* --, or resuscitated -- so she's more of an EMT, like Jane Foster in THOR, doing CPR.

>La Pieta
It's a lovely, evocative image, used as visual shorthand for "the Savior is dead". It does not mean that Katara was his "mommy". Period. Full stop.

[Kat was actually *team mom* for Team Avatar. Sokka was team goofball, and Toph was team unpleasant surly cunt]

Dammit, he tricked me again, didn't he?

Don't be anal.

Because it wasn't the only way to master the Avatar state, just the fastest.
Roku tried something similar and it backfired.

Attached: 1489217708345.webm (1304x604, 368K)

Loath as I am to argue with Super Devil, Guru Pathik wasn't full of shit, he was over-selling it so Aang would buckle down and get his head unfucked. Then go save the girl and the world. Seriously, some y'all're taking him way to literally.

>tfw running out of quality Zhaos to Avatarfag with
Press f for respects.

If it doesn't, then why does Aang literally say "I can't let go of Katara, I love her", implying the two are mutually exclusive?

>guh
Sokka asks Aang how it went with the Guru and Aang lies about it going swimmingly. He never takes accountability for that.

>Sozin didn't plan the genocide
You're right, but Roku knew decades in advance that Sozin had imperial ambitions. You pointing out that Roku didn't know the full extent is like saying Neville Chamberlain wasn't incompetent because he didn't know about the Holocaust during the appeasement period.

>a bit much
I felt that every nomad ever dying was unrealistic. Other than that, I feel kids can handle this stuff very well. I rewatched the series with my baby niece this last little while (hence why I'm here all hyped up to talk about it) and she processed it very well. I think it was Don Bluth that said kids can handle anything so long as there's a happy ending.

>Aang wasn't being born he was being reborn
That's just semantics. We're talking symbolism here.

>"La Pieta isn't a symbol of motherhood, it's just about the Saviour!"
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5to0S519g
Come on, it's one of the greatest symbols of motherhood. You even concede Katara's behaviour towards Aang and all of Team Avatar is maternal.

Attached: 812E710F-D45E-461A-AD71-A9A339EBA106.png (500x284, 172K)

>claims to not be a cunt
>keeps acting like a cunt and then vague posts like a nigger

Are there any good fanfics? I tried reading "Embers" but I gave up after that weird scene on the island with the kid who uses a katana to slice that spirit thing in half. Zuko had fantastic characterization, and the writing was well done, but I just couldn't stand what the author did to the other characters. Is it worth finishing?

>Are there any good fanfics?
How I Became Yours.

Holy shit, don't recommend that shit.
Phoenix Rising is your answer, pal.

Read Fandomme's works. Also Ruftoon's Water Tribe. That's where a lot of the Zhaoposter's art came from.

>Holy shit, don't recommend that shit.
The pain has to be spread.

Attached: barbaric.jpg (686x855, 149K)

I agree with you in that case...

Attached: 1540608498683.jpg (800x997, 130K)

how did they feel ? did they smell

Thanks for the recommendations anons. I will check those out.
What does everyone think of the idea of having benders of more than one element besides the Avatar? Some fanfics do that, and it always annoyed me that authors would do that shit, even if it had interesting explanations to how it happened like Embers,

>Also just had a dream last night that Azula made me worship her feet.
You know what?
I remember that I once dreamed with Korra dancing both in a disco club, one night when I ended up late playing Yakuza 0 dance mini-games. She was dressed with a tuxedo. In the same morning, i searched the closest video to my dream & this was: youtube.com/watch?v=eQyzUSWXdt0

That scene always bothered me. He'd rather die than be a failure like Zuko or Iroh.
f

Everything smelt of ash, which I'm assuming is because she was burning people alive prior to making me kneel.

I've never had such a funky dream sadly, they're usually pretty tense.

Attached: Avatar_.The.Last.Airbender.full.1826571.jpg (1000x825, 576K)

Why is there a lot of obvious samefagging in this thread?

Zhao was a true man unlike those fucks, he more than earned that F

>then why does Aang literally say
Aang is young; he doesn't understand what the Guru is getting at and thinks it's about his intense puppy love for Katara, and not the fact that being Avatar has to come first.

>He never takes accountability for that.
And?

>Neville Chamberlain
Neville Chamberlain didn't throw Hitler at a wall and say "Knock that shit off or I will motherfucking *end* you." I'm sure that Roku believed he had Sozin hippo-cowed (and he did, too, until Roku was in a tight spot Sozin could exploit). The Genocide is literally unforeseeable (just like the Holocaust) -- Chamberlain wasn't the only one taken in by Adolf. In any event, Sozin gave no inkling to anyone that he was going to try to slaughter an entire nation. Until that point, he was talking about "Conquer and Share","Usher in a Golden Age", not "Exterminate a people".

>We're talking symbolism here.
The symbolism is either: he's a chick stuck in an egg, and Katara cracks the shell to let the poor little bastard out OR Aang is trapped in acar and is in dire straits, and needs to be saved, so EMT Katara gets out the Jaws of Life, rescues, and resuscitates him.

The whole "mommy" line was promulgated by rabid Zutarans desperate to discredit and denigrate the KatAang ship, in an attempt to portray it as incestuous and degenerate.

>You even concede Katara's behaviour towards Aang and all of Team Avatar is maternal

She has a strong maternal urge because of losing her mother at an early age - she stepped up and filled that vacuum, and so well, apparently, that Sokka, when trying to see his mother's face in his mind's eye, sees Katara instead.

> it's just about the Saviour
While Mary *is* Jesus's mother, the Pieta is not about her, it's not about motherhood, it's about one of the foundational events in the history of The Church. The Death of The Christ.

"Traitor's Face" by Loopy is about the only one I actually like. There's another that I read only for its depiction of Tyzula, but there's so much character assassination (Zuko's a monster) and wish-fulfillment (Toph and Katara are a couple, and Toph is like Play Toph, but a lesbian). Every paragraph made me want to slap the silly bitch who wrote it.

I will hunt you down and eat your children.

Because people got triggered over the fact Kataang was shit and someone spelled it out for them.

I just like how Zhao was this completely irredeemable fuck and yet he still acted in such a strangely moral and dignified way in his last few seconds. One of the things that really made S1 great.

>"Katara being Aang's mommy is just a Zutarian conspiracy!"
youtu.be/hFrCdalJ-xs?t=821

>La Pieta is not about motherhood, but the Death of The Christ.
>Christ's face does not reveal signs of the Passion. Michelangelo did not want his version of the Pietà to represent death.

>implying I have children

Attached: braille.jpg (869x906, 205K)

>what is the point of sacrifice in a hero's story
Holy fucking shit you shipper fags are absolutely retarded.

Attached: 1DF4D026-DD9F-4C23-BED3-F9D346CF2951.png (350x352, 16K)

kek, that was so cheap.