Spiderverse?

What are your guy's opinions on Spiderverse? I've seen it a few times now and i've thoroughly enjoyed it every time. I do have a few small complaints though, some of the references feel kind of pandering but with that said, appealing to a wider audience is always a good thing for a filmmaker. Some of the music made me cringe a bit (mostly sunflower), but that's a minor issue. Other than that I thought the movie was great and really payed respect to the comics. I'd love to know what you guys think though!

Attached: download-1.jpg (225x225, 17K)

the BEST CBM. Saw it 3 Times in Cinemas in 3D, 2 of those being during Opening Weekend, have a fuck ton of merch of it including a Poster hanging up on the Wall in My room, a Sweatshirt version of Miles' suit, 3 Shirts. I own it on physical and Digital.

It's really fucking good dude. I love the art style and the plot and honestly, seeing a spiderman film not COMPLETELY centered around peter parker is pretty cool.

I rented it from Redbox and watched it just last night. I wish I had seen it in 3D. I love the style of it. Glad to see the Kingpin back in action, he hasn't appeared in a Marvel movie since Daredevil.

Having just watched Alternate Universe Mode, I think the movie should have kept all of the scenes involving Mile's Dad, his uncle, and Noir/Ham/Peni. Their emotional arcs were much more complete in that version, and there was more "poetry" to the plot progression, in that certain scenes mirror each other and reiterate the major themes of the story.

That said, the movie was already near-perfect to me, and I wouldn't have known I'd miss those things. It's thoroughly wonderful, and between this movie and Bladerunner, I'm ready to forgive Sony for the Emoji movie and Pixels.

It's an OK movie, but People have gone overboard with it being the ultimate achievement of an entire fucking generation or something.

It's not that that's bad but it just goes to show how stale feature animation has been for a while already, since just a basic amount of creativity and style makes people get a huge collective boner

I think the amount of praise for it and Deadpool sort of speaks for the state of film right now. The fact that major studio doing literally anything slightly out of the norm is a huge feat... it's not a good thing. Of course, god help you if you're not Disney or Sony. You're absolutely fucked if you show creativity.

I liked the episode “I really really hate clones” better.

Not even a shit post, I just like it better.

Attached: 719FD41E-9D87-4C48-ADC6-76854EE4AC68.jpg (250x189, 21K)

>What are your guy's opinions on Spiderverse?
Best movie of 2018.

It's everything I wanted and everything I asked for.

Just fucking MAKE MORE ANIMATED COMIC BOOK MOVIES!

*dies in a Funko Pop landslide*

>a basic amount of creativity and style
user it's 2019.
creativity and style are prohibited.

It's better than OK. In terms of sheer visual spectacle it's on par with the original Pixar Incredibles. Storywise, it's a contrived comic book plot straight out of a Saturday Morning Cartoon (hey kids, remember those??)

I can't speak for an entire fucking generation since I'm only a part of at least 2 or 3 of those out of like, half a dozen named generations currently living... but, Spider-Verse clearly understood and reflected the experiences of it's target demo than Black Panther's meme-spouting kid sister or Killmonger did. Personally I wouldn't expect the ultimate achievement of [current generation] from a Sony product because that would speak volumes as to how culturally and creatively bankrupt said generation is and how doomed we all are as a species...

But, Peni was adorable and Gwen's eyes were weirdly squinty and I kinda want to hang out with Uncle Aaron and Spidey Nior find the last decent egg cream spot in New York and steal their secrets. I can't wait to see what [Post Credit Scene] leads into for future movies as I would very much like more screen time with all of these characters in a shitty comic book plot that falls apart logically as soon as you walk out of the theater.

What exactly is the "Alternate Universe Mode"?

>user it's 2019.
>creativity and style are prohibited.
This kind of over the top messianic attitude it's exactly what prompts anons to call it ok

Actually anons ITT who call it "ok" are just jaded cunts.
It's a legitimate masterpiece.

>creative people work for a corporation and make an art
>this somehow implies the generation is culturally creatively bankrupt
I don't understand this reasoning. You know Rembrandt and Da Vinci painted for money too, right?

Nah

>Rembrandt and Da Vinci painted for money
Artists are paid to art, yes.
That is typically how art is made.
At least you understand that much.

Sorry user, but that's more than just a basic amount of creativity and style.

>if you like it you're a cringy shill
>if you don't like it you're a contrarian incel
You fuckers deserve each other

You're not answering me.
How is it a sign of the end of the human race that Sony funded and provided the resources for a great work?

I wouldn't call someone who calls this movie only average an incel. I'd call them a heckler; someone trying to tarnish an artist to draw attention to themselves.

The movie with the unfinished deleted scenes spliced in.

Oh, there's a cut with the "you don't deserve pork" scene?

What would you call someone that can't stop sucking the figurative dick of the latest pop product?

A Disney employee. What's your point?

>a great work
It's only "OK", remember?
Visually, it is, in fact, a great work. There are a lot of very smart decisions made that give the city and all it's characters a ton of character. The sound design also does a lot of heavy lifting particularly whenever Prowler is on screen.

But as a whole, it is not a great work.
As a whole, it's a toy commercial selling IPs for merchandising.
>well what's wrong with that?
At one point in the movie Miles had gone about a week without contacting his cop dad despite several attempts via text, voice mail, etc. Some time after, cop dad finds a close member of his family dead in an alley. Cop dad immediately heads directly to Miles' dorm room and gets no answer but sees shadows in the room under the door.

Proceeds to have heart to heart conversation with door rather than confirm with his own fucking eyes that his son is alive. Miles' roommate JUST walked into that room only minutes earlier. Poor detective work aside, why aren't Miles and his dad talking at this point in the movie? Because he moved to a new school and is too busy drawing in sketchbooks and being a fucking hoodlum vandal defacing public and private property to apply himself to his studies in his new, very exclusive charter school??

These are unimportant details, however, because Jefferson Davis doesn't have a movie, a game, a soundtrack and several different books and collectibles to sell.

All of them about as superficially produced with all the focus put into visuals over narrative. No small army of artists can fix this because the decision-making here is beyond their pay grade.

>At one point in the movie Miles had gone about a week without contacting his cop dad despite several attempts via text, voice mail, etc.
It was less than two days, not a week.
Your second point breaks immediately because it wasn't urgent enough to confirm he's alive at the expense of bursting into his room and alienating him.
I don't even fucking know dude. You're operating on this pretentious toyline narrative as an a priori assumption. You could spin that Reservoir Dogs was a black jeans commercial with that kind of logic and it's literally making you misinterpret the film.

this is the part where I compare Sony's Spider-Verse movie with some independently made and produced work by a smaller studio with a singular creative vision driving the work... something like, I don't know, Book of Life or Kubo and the Two Strings or some shit like that but the sad fact is those movies don't exist anymore.
Paint by Numbers Sony/Warner/Disney schlock is all we can expect and about what most of us deserve.

Enjoy your modern day mega corporate dystopia.

And for the record, Prowlers wall run in that alley chasing Miles was shot for shot a complete rip off from that same scene in Jupiter Ascending.
It's okay if you never noticed it, it's a pretty obscure reference.

>compares Book of Life and Kubo favorably to Spider-verse
You're not impressing anybody, you know.

Attached: Hahaha.jpg (1030x459, 40K)

Not that user but fuck off. It's no one else's fault that your hipster shit isn't interesting enough to draw crowds. If people like you weren't as pretentious when talking about them, word of mouth might swing views. But hey, then you wouldn't be able to think you're special for liking them.

>As a whole, it's a toy commercial selling IPs for merchandising

This argument can be assigned to any major motion picture. It can be assigned to just about any film that isnt 100% original and completely produced without selling it and distributed by hand. Just because something was funded to sell a product does not mean the film has no merit without said product.

>At one point in the movie Miles had gone about a week without contacting his cop dad

The whole movie takes place in about 48 hours.

>These are unimportant details, however, because Jefferson Davis doesn't have a movie, a game, a soundtrack and several different books and collectibles to sell.

Cop dad doesnt break down the door for several reasons. His kid is obviously mad at him and they are having issues. If he breaks that door down, he's going to make things worse/really awkward between them. Also, he doesnt KNOW his kid is in that room, could be roommate. Also, he's a by the book dude. They show him not running the red light and he doesn't like spiderman because he's not by the book. He's not going to break rules here either (breaking a door down without legal cause).

I'm not saying this movie is perfect, but the movie is pretty great. Not sure why you have a hate boner for it just because it was funded by a mega-corporation (yes they suck but something decent can still come out of them).

>You could spin that Reservoir Dogs was a black jeans commercial with that kind of logic and it's literally making you misinterpret the film.

This guy gets it.

>hipster
Was prophecising the end of art and creativity because money gets involved in it a give-away?

>Your second point breaks immediately because it wasn't urgent enough to confirm he's alive at the expense of bursting into his room and alienating him.
>Aaron this is Jeff
>You know I wouldn't reach out (to You) if this weren't important
>We haven't heard from him

*fast forward to Jeff finding Aaron's dead body in an alley.*

Oh phew, there's unresponsive shadows in my son's room. I have a gun. I'll just stand here and spill spaget all over the hallway... tell my wife who's worried sick it's all good, I spoke to a door.

But yeah, don't think too hard about all that, go cop that Elliphant and Blackway shit from the iTunes store real quick!

Thinking you're intelligent enough to predict how things are going to develop was the giveaway, user. Enjoy pushing away potential viewers. That way the movies you like don't get money, and then more people won't get involved because there's no continuation.
How fun. I do look forward to watching Kubo online though

Based retard can't into character interactions.
Guess that's the kind of crowd Book of Life attracts huh?

And hey, money doesn't get involved this way. It's foolproof

Art existing for the sake of art is a notion that only dates back 150 years at most and was in response to greater access to education creating lessening demand for the trade (art is and has always been a trade skill) due to a labor supply glut and amateur competition, and the rise of easily available photography killing their traditional revenue stream, portraiture.

Did I stumble into reddit?

No, but the thread where we complain about Miles being a bland nigger was yesterday. Today we complain about it being a toy commercial.

>This argument can be assigned to any major motion picture. It can be assigned to just about any film that isnt 100% original and completely produced without selling it and distributed by hand. Just because something was funded to sell a product does not mean the film has no merit without said product.
No one said there's no merit.
"It's an OK movie" is a fair assessment.
This movie as a work of art is not a particularly intellectually challenging work.
It does not present anything new for it's audience to think about tomorrow or the day after that Big Hero 6 didn't give us already.

I enjoyed Spider-Verse but I will not sit here and pretend that it was a masterpiece to rival the likes of The Godfather or even Reservior Do True Romance was a better movie than that shit.

>The whole movie takes place in about 48 hours.
And the first night he ran home on a school night to sleep over? The night of a major incident that affected the entire city? Cop tells son in message he suspects Miles is hiding something from him and to come clean and you mean to say that because "Oh, it's not a week, it's only 2 days" makes this father's decisions more understandable, not less, eh?
I'm going to guess you've never raised kids, user. Not an attack, jus sayin...

>His kid is obviously mad at him and they are having issues.
And those are???
How is it obvious? Aw dad, stop embarrassing me when I flagrantly commit class B felonies in front of my friends??? Aw dad, stop sending me to schools that I'm less likely to get shivved in the kidneys during lunch??
There was no visible conflict between Miles and Jefferson other than "Uncle Aaron is cool". and "school is hard".

>I'm not saying this movie is perfect, but the movie is pretty great.
It's an OK movie.
Being hyper-critical is not in and of itself an act of hate, user.
Yay, Sony made a decent, uneven flawed movie. Throw Oscars at them.

>but People have gone overboard with it being the ultimate achievement of an entire fucking generation or something.
It's because there's a bunch of delusional niggers who trumpet this as "Miles will sell!"

>"It's an OK movie" is a fair assessment.
No it isn't. It's decidedly unfair.
The fact is you're being completely autistic because you didn't even grasp the scenes between Miles and his dad and are working through a million hoops trying to spin them as bad writing won't change that. You're actually being monumentally biased against a film because you've decided ahead of time that it is a corporate product, and you've been exposed to the people in this thread.
No-one is going to take an insincere loudmouth - that's you - seriously.

The Godfather was a corpprate product in which Coppola only got involved for the cash, not because of artistic interest. It was also an adaptation instead of a new IP. You're an idiot.

>You're actually being monumentally biased against a film because you've decided ahead of time that it is a corporate product
Oh. So, Sony's Into The Spider-Verse is NOT a corporate product.
Ok.

Honestly, I wouldn't even call it bad writing. It might be a result of bad editing. Why it's bad is irrelevant.
All that matters is that it's bad and it's in the finished product.
>It's not bad you just don't understand it!
Ok.

>They're all going to laugh at (You)!!
Ok.
Laugh all the way to the bank, Sony shill. Fiddle while the world burns while you're at it. ;^)

Attached: large[2].jpg (2048x1393, 517K)

>actually argues that Spider-Verse rivals The Godfather.

He did reply to the same post 4 times.

You mean a bunch of degenerate faplords wanting to fuck a cute little anime girl combined with autistic shipping?

>Oh. So, Sony's Into The Spider-Verse is NOT a corporate product.
How shocking that you can't follow a conversation. The implication here is that you make arbitrary decisions on what is or isn't a corporate product and use that as a condition for judging a movie, a bias separate from the work itself.

You're literally just pushing that the movie is bad because it's made by a corporate studio and can't even be bothered to elaborate on how. But sure, don't stop embarrassing yourself on our account.

>You're literally just pushing that the movie is bad
"It's an OK movie"

>can't even be bothered to elaborate on how.
this is the part were I repeat myself and this circular conversation goes on for another 400 replies, yeh?

>How shocking that you can't follow a conversation.
Ok.

It fucking sucked! No, I'm not going to tell you why it was bad, but I'll strongly imply it had something to do with the black protagonist.

I like the movie itself.
I hate that it means casuals will forever cry for Miles to be Peter's legacy character when nearly every other Spider Person is a better choice. Miguel, Ben, Kaine, even Hobart and Mayday.

No, dude. Your pretentious ass doesn't get to call the storytelling bad on account of you being a right brainlet, then deflect refutations of your preconceived bias by saying you think it's OK. You smarmy motherfucker, bring something substantial to the conversation or get fucking lost.

>you make arbitrary decisions on what is or isn't a corporate product
>arbitrary
the massive logo at the beginning of the film is a bit of a subtle hint there, user...

My critiques of the movie is based on what was in the movie itself.
Inconsistent characterization of "what makes a Spider-Man" being first and foremost.
Based on the information presented within the movie based on the events of Miles Morales' origin and Peni, Gwen, Nior and Porker's assessments--
Peter Parker was a pretty shit Spider-Man because he did not get back up.

THEN we move on to how Jefferson's character is portrayed and how his reactions as events unfold feel contrived because all non-costume conflict was cut for time and we've got all this What's Up Danger that needs getting on the screen.

It's an OK movie.

Attached: Spoilers.jpg (960x540, 70K)

Whether or not it rivals The Godfather isn't the point. The point is that both are studio products/adaptations. Do you deny this? You haven't so far

You're a retard. That you don't understand what the movie presents in the scenes it does have are your problems, not the film's.

None of those are young enough to be Peter's legacy character except Mayday, and we've still got a long way to go before she can potentially show up in 616.
The whole point of a legacy character is that you can continue doing the whole growing pains thing with another Spider-man (because there's never not gonna be a market for that) without keeping Peter as a manchild forever.

Also don't forget that Miles Morales is mixed latino so make sure he says ADIOS repeatedly, Ok?
Our guys upstairs say it's great optics.

Hit the nail on the head.
It's arbitrary because you don't think of something like the Godfather or Book of Life as a corporate product but because it's Sony Pictures Animation it's a megacorp dystopia coming to snuff out creativity and humanity.

>Legacy characters are about age.
Nah. Also Miguel is from the damn future. You can have a character take over and do their own thing. It makes for better storytelling to not retread old ground.

This is a disgusting piece of shit for normie and SJW.
The moral of the plot with the real spider man is be henpecked and get the shitmaking baby. Disgating.
The main hero is stupid useless Mary Sue. It is just nasty to look at him, He is scary and ugly. The character is made to lick the useless black president, who did not do anything useful, and won the peace prize. Empty political remake.
Spiders and their universes are not disclosed, jokes for kindergartners.
The final fight - a fight on the background of a riot. The villain is angry because he lost his family, A bunch of shit from the cliché.
Cash shit like minions.

Attached: into-the-spider-verse-spider-men-1200x800.jpg (1200x800, 126K)

Ok, pack it up fellas.
The guy is LARPing. Honestly given his sentence structure I wouldn't be surprised if it's antiGwenfag falseflagging again. That guy has issues.

>you don't understand what the movie presents in the scenes it does have
as opposed to what, the scenes it doesn't have??
WHERE'S THE CONFLICT, MANSLEY??

I think it's a good movie, but not a great one.
What it did do great was finally do a Miles story that was interesting and made you actually like the character.

Spidervers - 1-2
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 9-10

>False alarm, Shillsquad. Stand down...

After Prowler dies the film becomes boring

That's not what people are talking about when they want Miles to be the primary legacy character. All the others (besides Mayday) do not inherit the most crippling disorder of Peter Parker - his youth. And because of the way comics work, Mayday (or equivalent) can't come into 616 until Peter gets older, and Peter can't get older until there's someone to inherit his youth. It's a catch 22, which Miles can solve.
If your problem is "why can't people read about a younger Spider-man in their own spinoff stories" that's been a problem with Marvel forever, eventually every character is only "the real thing" if they exist in 616. You can make a great story and characters separate from that but if it doesn't impact the overarching mega-canon, people will just think you're playing in a sandbox.

>What it did do great was finally do a Miles story that was interesting and made you actually like the character.
Miles was likable in the other SONY product too, user.
He's even occasionally likeable in the comics as well.
What these works do well is compress all the absolute fuckall that is Miles feats as a hero into a very small neat package for us to digest and accept the potential of Miles Morales: Spider-Man rather than shoving him down our throats and telling us how great he is without ever giving compelling evidence to support said claim.

it becomes flacid and predictable but in a satisfying, feel-good way.

What other movies was Miles in? Did I miss something?

the interactive one.

No, I really think most people only go "He should be the second Spider-Man" and put nothing more into it than that. They don't care about him being young, he's just the only successor they know.

Miles' best case scenario is being a rehash of Peter that has a few unique elements. The others offer the potential for a completely new dynamic, akin to Dick Grayson as Batman. Problem is that comics companies don't like those kinds of risks, diehard whales never want the story to progress, and casuals don't know alternative avenues even exist.

You said in the post I replied to that part of the issue was cutting scenes, or seeming to, for time to dedicate more time to other things.
Hence I said
>The scenes it does have
As in, not the ones you're imagining should also be there. Are you ok? Are your meds working?

And if you're not that user click on the link to the parent post. It's not difficult

Spider-Man should not be a legacy character. However, if Spider-Man being "young" was truly the main issue leading to Peter being replaced, then Peter's son -- most likely with MJ -- should have been the next Spider-Man (after a long stint as Spider-Boy or Spider-Kid). And that's if there needed to be a "next" Spider-Man at all.

Miles was created for other reasons.

>Spider-Man should not be a legacy character.
Kamen Rider may as well have started as a more simple, hardcore Japanese Spider-Man and did just fine with passing the torch.

It's not that comics companies don't like risks. Of course they don't, they never did.
But about half of the people who were reading Slott's Spider-man run after SpOck were literally doing it because Spider-man (and comics in general) is just a tranquilizer for them. Something to keep getting a fix of to not spazz out. The constant need to have the same dynamic and the near-same stories is very, very real, not something the companies projected.
It'd be a great outcome if it was someone other than Peter Parker was having them. It may as well be Miles. Every other legacy character you've mentioned is too different and lends better to stories of a completely different nature. Which means they can't be considered "the second Spider-man", either.

The whales who demand stability while refusing to engage in anything "unimportant" are a symptom of company cowardice in the first place. Reneging on Ben being the new Spider-Man and other forms of forward momentum (un-killing May, undoing the marriage, etc) encourage this perpetual stasis in the first place. We waited too long to move Peter forward and now the entire angle of him growing and changing over time is dead. He's become a parody of himself based on second hand knowledge and the whales don't want that to change.

You can't place the blame squarely on fans, especially when Spider-Man probably has the biggest "no, please, move forward, god damn it no" contingent of any major superhero.

>Are you ok? Are your meds working?
Silly user, I'm American!
It's a universal healthcare joke.

It still doesn't answer the question.
Where is the conflict?

Nobody cares about why Bendis created Miles, that's not relevant to this topic. And I feel like I shouldn't need to spell this out for you, but for Peter Parker to have a son or daughter, he'd have to be allowed to age to the point of being a father. Marvel is not willing to allow this to happen because that means giving up Peter Parker the Young Self-Insert Hero.
Like why the fuck is this difficult to understand? I'm getting uncharacteristically frustrated just explaining this to you. Peter Parker should be allowed to become an older character, start a family, go through child-rearing, no time-skips. Who is going to be the Young Spider-Man during this time? Not the child, obviously. Meanwhile you're sitting on X many years of comics of Peter Parker being a responsible adult, Spider-Man being a parent. Something N amount of manchild readers and 1 Chief Editor doesn't want. You want Spider-Man to be both Young and a Parent? Have TWO Spider-Men at the same time, in the same canon, one Peter and the other Miles. Wait for Miles to grow out of being a teenager and for Peter's kid to grow up. Done, Peter's kid is the next Spider-Man.
Holy fucking shit you people can't even do fucking basic project planning right. I'm amazed any of you have money to spend to feed yourselves.
GOD

>He's become a parody of himself based on second hand knowledge and the whales don't want that to change.
But he sells better this way.

I want to park my peni in Peni Parker.

Attached: peni parker.jpg (1200x680, 196K)

Does he really? I'm pretty sure sales have never truly recovered since OMD, just spiked at key gimmicks like Superior.

one of us one of us gooble gobble gooble gobble...

Yes, that's in it. There are also entire subplots that were cut out, and generally more character stuff. It's a bluray bonus, I'm sure you can find other ways to see it, either way it's worth a watch.

>616 Peter and Ultimate Peter got the reset button
>Miles is going to be the less friendly spiderman and street/urban version
>They just keep adding a bunch of gimmicks to Gwen with Spiderverse after Spiderverse issues keep getting shoved down our collective throats
>Bendy said fuck it and made Superior Spiderman a separate entity with Peter not dying and the only difference between the two is that he has a giant ego
Please stop fucking up with this character already.

This thread turned out to be a lot longer than i thought it would

Oh, i didn't know Disney made ITS. How did end under their wing anyways?