Ed feels like that guy you knew in high school who also liked comics. Jim feels like your 5th Grade English teacher...

Ed feels like that guy you knew in high school who also liked comics. Jim feels like your 5th Grade English teacher. Going though every issue of Wizard Magazine and calling out the insane speculators bubble.

Thoughts on these guys?

Attached: AAuE7mDleE51JcCqQ8WZUDt7JphzZxWitoCeL43oPg=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no.jpg (900x900, 254K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Wg-UCoJqTCU
youtube.com/watch?v=y9mk4Dd8S3o
youtube.com/watch?v=Sj4NCwWcGzo
youtube.com/watch?v=tfRInZaLLWA
youtube.com/watch?v=H06ZJDpdkTQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtu.be/Wg-UCoJqTCU

I love the anger he can rile up about this old failed ninja turtles ripoff.

Attached: 1083823-zen__0__chrome__1.jpg (828x1280, 100K)

I shamefully haven't read either of their comics work but I love the show. Didn't grow up with Wizard but they discuss and analyze it in a very accessible way, lots of cool comics history to unearth.

Also I'm pretty sure Ed lurks or at least used to lurk on Yea Forums, going by some of the references he occasionally drops (Goatse and Skullfucker off the top of my head)

It's terrific, I'm elated it exists. Real enthusiasm for the medium and some less mainstream cuts.
Where to start with Ruggs work btw?

I loved Hip-Hop Family Tree

I really like it but I feel like Ed is way too arrogant for how littlle he seems to know about shit. At the same time, thank god he respects Jim because at times you can almost listen to him cringing to Ed's naivety.
Still the best friend simulator there is, got me into so much shit that will probably never be released in my country.

just yesterday Jim Rugg liked two of my instagram posts. Not my fan art or anything like that, he liked a post about me catching a bat in the basement of my home

I never got the impression Ed talks out his ass, I think it's just the way he speaks that gives off an air of know-it-allness. Jim definitely helps balance him out though.

Who would you guys like to see on as guests other than Scioli?

Nah, he clearly talks out of his ass and takes a lot of shit for granted. One example that I always remember is how at some point he was talking to Julie Doucete about her work being un-banned from public libraries in Canada and he went "What??????????? Oh yeah right u guise don't have le first ammendment xD", when the US has this type of shit very often (so often that Jim quickly points out LOVE AND FUCKING ROCKETS, a book Ed actually IS FRIENDS WITH THE CREATORS OF, recently being unbanned).
There are more, but I don't remember.

He's right and I 100% agree with his rage desu, I hate how hucksters try to use comics as some sort of breeding ground/launching pad for new multimedia IPs while not actually giving a shit about comics.

I remember seeing the figures.

Attached: zen figure.jpg (509x679, 70K)

I love the wild coincidence that right when they started this series Tom Palmer started posting his old Palmer's Picks articles on a blog

I mostly appreciate any decent comics content on YouTube that's now just recaps of plots, mostly talking about movies, or fanboy shit like "who would win in a fight?"

Which there frankly isn't much of. Thank fuck for actual intelligent comics discussion like this and Strip Panel Naked

Also Palmer's Picks are based as fuck

>mfw the most popular channes about comics from my country are just "Character X: A summary" and On Cinema tier reviews of shit like Batman Year One, Wathcmen and whatever fotm stuff the publishers are pushing right now
worst part is that the least popular ones aren't much better, it's usually a guy providing a hour long review of some shit tom king batman comic I would read in under 10 minutes if I bothered to.

forgot my actual face

Attached: b75.jpg (530x506, 37K)

It's funny how similar the shitty YouTube comics content is to the articles in Wizard that Ed and Jim skip over

I think this also relates to Ed what I mentioned here Ed often tries to gloat about how things are much better now but Jim quickly points out they also haven't changed that much. Let me blogpost a little for reference:
I'm 28 and I learned how to read by reading Asterix and big two stuff, so comics have been a constant in my life, and a set of very specific circumstances tied to what at this point I consider a genetic condition (one that most people who get into comics seem to have in the first place, Jim & Ed included) to look for weirder and weirder stuff to "catalog".
The thing is, I'm brazilian, and up until the mid 2000s, you'd be lucky if you managed to even get every floppy in a series, since the only books that had any guarantee of even being printed or distributed in the first place were mainline big two stuff (they come in a slightly different format over here but this isn't important), and there's a bunch of VERY well known stuff (one example I mention is Concrete, which I only got into thanks to Kayfabe) which never got even reviewed, let alone translated by anyone over here.
Today, with the internet, I can get access to a much more diverse landscape and this in turn allows niche artists and genres to survive, but when I look at the brazilian scene, it's all very much people into capes, adventure and that sort of thing, with a few indie luminaires which cost a kidney. The public, the press and the industry are very much in the same place it was in the 90s (with a few differences), it's just that the internet allows you to specifically go after the people who aren't (which is something that americans take for granted).
We never really evolved past the 90s, we just got mechanisms to avoid confronting the lack of evolution.

I wonder if he'll do new ones? I'd rather read his column over a fuckload of reviewers today.

Palmer's Picks is what I usually think of when I remember that for all Wizard's problems, they still published that, which contrasted against all the Marvel/DC/Image push the rest of the magazine did.

An example of how bad the press is, I only got into this guy's work because Fantagraphics tried to sell me one of his books in english. The way I've found to keep up with brazilian releases is by reading the cultural sections of posh newspapers because the only people who care about these guys aren't comic readers in the first place. Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá for instance only started getting hype over here once they started doing stuff like BPRD and Umbrella Academy.
Meanwhile, frankly mediocre guys like Ramos, Ivan Reis or Deodato are hailed as literal heroes because the big two buys their inane-but-on-schedule crap by the boatload.

Attached: 2017-10-runforit.jpg (400x558, 114K)

Thanks to Fantagraphics I became aware of Guido Crepax, unfortunately each of their volumes is in the $70 - $80 range. I don't get them, they want to celebrate comics and give readers a wide variety of titles. But when you price something like that you're guaranteeing that only hardcore fans and collectors will buy it. Thank god the Mort Cinder book was just $30

like a real live bat? was it acting sluggish or sickly? go get yourself checked out if you were bitten

I seem to remember a video game of Zen for the NES.

Read Afrodisiac by Jim Rugg.

Attached: bf06ccdc4db5fd12f2102b5f1d823e59.jpg (500x834, 105K)

I never read the comics, but I liked the video game.

>Mark Millar

Nah, Millar is shameless but at the bare minimum he's a capefag. I'm talking about people who have literally never even so much as looked at a comic in their lives.

Best videos so far...
Wresling comics
youtube.com/watch?v=y9mk4Dd8S3o

Alan Moore profile
youtube.com/watch?v=Sj4NCwWcGzo

Comic book confidential commentary
youtube.com/watch?v=tfRInZaLLWA
(Original film to wach with)
youtube.com/watch?v=H06ZJDpdkTQ

the comic book confidential commentary is my official 2019 ASMR for drawing

Millar does that but at the same time he can competently put together a comic. It may be a shocking/awful story, but at least it looks like he understands pacing and a lot of things people keep taking for granted about comics.

recently started collecting old wizard back issues and i found this. only watched 2 but i enjoyed the hell out of it. insightful stuff.

They're based

Also his artists get 50/50 deals, that at least puts him way above the suits who " create" a character and then want some freelancers to make comics out of it for them like Zen

>Rape Man manga

Holy shit

>The Rapeman (THE レイプマン) is a Japanese satirical–black comedy manga series. It is credited as being created and written by Keiko Aisaki (愛崎 けいこ Aisaki Keiko), and illustrated by Shintaro Miyawaki (みやわき 心太郎 Miyawaki Shintarō), and ran from 1985 to 1992. The series was discontinued after 13 volumes.

>Pink Pineapple produced nine Rapeman live action feature films (including six sequels and two spin-off films), released between 1993 and 1996. The first seven were directed by Takao Nagaishi and the final two were directed by Naoki Uesugi. In their Japanese Cinema Encyclopedia: The Sex Films, the Weissers write that series director, Takao Nagaishi, took "a patently offensive premise and twisted it into a wickedly funny black-comedy for adults ... His camerawork is slick, and the music is hypnotic. Plus he has co-authored clever scripts with surprisingly intricate plotlines. And, most importantly, Nagaishi has taken the time to develop a group of characters who are actually very likable."[1]

Yes, a real, live Bat, im pretty sure i don't have rabies, it's been nearly a week since the Bat incident and it didnt bite me. Also Ed just liked my Man-thing fan art. Has anyone here ever had a creator like their art before, do I DM him and just say " thanks" or do I do nothing

Attached: 20190321_212659.jpg (1080x244, 58K)

I wish Fiffe and someone did this instead because Piskor is such a boring artist

Fiffe does those articles at TCJ

I know, just saying Fiffe and Stone fucking around would be more fun to watch