Someone said that he's too old for him to work today. How would you make him work?

Someone said that he's too old for him to work today. How would you make him work?

Attached: Popeye_cover.jpg (1280x720, 138K)

Make him foreman at a warehouse or a trucker or something instead of a sailor. Or better yet make him swtich between different blue collar jobs in different stories.

Ever since Malcom Maclean's containers took over shipping in the 60s and 70s, port culture and the classic sailor have disappeared.

Attached: 48-dry-freight.jpg (3096x1548, 197K)

I think making him a ship captain would work better. His mannerisms is part of his charm.

>More lorefaggotry for fat manchildren trying to look sophisticated
Easily done since they have trillions of comic strip arcs to adapt. Some of them went on for a whole fucking year
>More waifufaggotry for fat manchildren who don't care about sophistication
Again, fairly easy. Pretty up the Sea Hag, and bring back Olive's thicc cousin Sutra Oyl.
>More angsty and tender moments for misty-eyed tumblrinas
Again, easy as hell considering Popeye is the "soft-hearted bruiser" archetype.
There, I just made Popeye appeal to today's cartoon-watching audiences.

>How would you make him work?
By paying him with cans of Spinach

I don't know what you're talking about, OP. He looks plenty young to me!

Attached: he aint what he is and thats all what he aint.jpg (1024x576, 101K)

Nobody had a problem with Flapjack, just handle it like that.

Popeye is the epitome of what millennials consider to be "toxic masculinity"
You couldn't make him work without transforming him into a completely different character.

Please don't post that, the scars still haven't healed.

Attached: 1447512052691.jpg (588x437, 41K)

Unironically this

Also approach it like those more recent Mickey Mouse shorts, except without the extra gross-out and more punching.

Everything's the same except instead of boring gross loser spinach for his buff stuff, he lights up a thick spicy blunt and lung-shreds that wicked salad to get beefy. Kids these days love weed.

Ah fuck, I don't know.
Make him old or some shit
Make him like really old and make the show about him running into modern day problems and solving things with his fists but ultimately discovering that it's not the evolution of technology or the need to stick to tradition that's bad, it's the fact that anyone insists that what makes one person comfortable is wrong, but the grey area that stance comes with isn't a task worth sorting out for a man so close to death.
Then he dies satisfied, living the rest of his days how he wants rather than how it is expected of him.

Or

>Flash animation where a guy punches a giant hotdog man in the face while playing The N64

>first option
Alright, which one of you faggots told Clint Eastwood about Yea Forums?

But Spinach CAN be seen as a double message.

"Eat your veggies" and "Smoke Weed Everyday"

Keep everything the same except change spinache to basedbeans.

>try to watch some of the recent ones
>they're even worse than the first one

It's funny. Popeye's one of the few media examples where the OLD IS GOOD, NEW IS BAD meme is legit.

The old Max Fleisher cartoons have weird sound issues, but the animation quality is top notch. Popeye and Son has better sound but dear god the animation quality.

>one of the few
The hell you talking about, just how often is new better?

Well, some older classics were newer reboots back in the day. And those were examples of the newer thing being better than the old thing.

What the fuck is this?

Someones retardes. The reason old shit doesnt work today is because they change everything about it.
You want Popeye to work today? Draw him as a gruff rough n tough sailor who smokes out of a pipe, gets in fights, and gets toon powers by eating spinach.

Or I guess you could give him a whistle, stop him from fighting, and make care for spinach as if its a woman instead of a healthy meal. Then you can blame it not working on Popeye being dated.

Attached: 2987D6A3-7734-42AF-A7CE-765606B1858D.gif (746x479, 196K)

Anyone played the Popeye arcade game?

Attached: popeye.jpg (1280x720, 100K)