Tagalong kid

How do we make a kid character good?

First I want to clarify. When I say kid character I mean the 'kid' of the majority adult/teen group. So Steven as an example.

How can can we write them without being annoying/plot devices? Can you give good examples and the most shit examples of what not to do?

Attached: sadasd.jpg (300x168, 9K)

>tag along kid
Steven is the main character of the show so he doesn't apply here

Just avoid doing this and the character will at least be respectable.

Attached: jkjjfdhfg.png (492x717, 264K)

first season is from the tagalong kids perspective that grows into the leader

>without being annoying/plot devices?
Have a well written story and setting that doesn't rely on shoehorned plot devices. After that it will just be child endangerment.

Make him the innocent one with a good heart that needs to learn to grow up facing tough situations and making surprisingly mature decisions

Attached: Ezran.png (445x680, 97K)

Prone to violence, childish violence.

I think that kid bear in talespin was a good one, but it's been a while since I watched that. I don't remember hating him.

Steven is 14 not 4

everyone was shook when they revealed he was 14.

in the first season everyone assumed he was like 10.

besides Jubilee can be considered the kid of the group in X men. its about relative age difference.

S1 Steven is a good example of doing it right

Attached: Serious Steven_trim.webm (960x540, 3M)

Take steven, but give His actions consequences so that when he's acting Like a retard, he actually falls on his face and has his "parents" teaching him.

Too Bad SU is written by borderline pedophile faux lesbian millenials who you wouldn't have near your kids.

What the fuck happened to the animation in this show

Attached: p1549251777473.gif (268x268, 471K)

No he is my most hated part of SU. Fuck S1 Steven

The correct question was where were the model sheets, amirite boys?

It depends on their role in the story. If they're a side character, use them sparingly, but make their usage count by showing us the rest of the world/cast from a different perspective. Their lack of knowledge can be used for more than just humor or cheap drama.

If they are the focus character, know how to strike a balance with their development. They shouldn't always be right in their actions, since kids tend to be short-sighted and impulsive, but they don't always have to be wrong either.

As an aside, people tend to forget that kids can be characters too, even aside of watching them develop into teens/adults. So many writers seem to just use children as stock templates to build off of, they forget that even at a young age children are products of their environments, even more so than adults. You can explain their actions while developing them into different people. Just treat them like actual characters.

Also, maybe try watching actual children in order to gauge whether your character sounds like a child or a midget teen/adult.

Don’t make them gay or trans crybaby.

>Wuh-Oh! I accidentally caused a dimensional vortex by shattering reality! But at least I brought some friendship bracelets so we can all have fun! YAAYYY!!!

Attached: stevieun.jpg (1601x927, 162K)

Make the kid the voice of reason/trying to be the voice of reason in their own way accompanied by wacky adults/creatures.

Lilo and Stitch
Otto in Time Squad
Lydia/Beetlejuice
Little Suzy in Johnny Bravo
Hogarth in Iron Giant
Hey Arnold!

It's not the only way, but I think it's one of the funnier ways to do it. Steven Universe had elements of that but never really pushed it as much as they could.

Alternatively, if you just make the kid characters wild cartoonish personalities who sometimes do kiddie things and not at all like realistic kids (Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Kids Next Door, Dexter's Lab), that works best.

Attached: lilo.0.jpg (1200x800, 87K)

yeah I'm pretty sure that never happened

Attached: Balanced Breakfast.webm (960x540, 1.19M)

THE ONLY WAY TO DO A KID CHARACTER IS TO HAVE THEM BE MINI ADULTS ALSO NOBODY KNOWS HOW TO WRITE KIDS THEY ONLY KNOW HOW TO WRITE ADULTS ANIMATION SHOULD ONLY BE FOR US MATURE, RESPONSIBLE, WELL-BEHAVED ADULTS AND NOT STUPID CHILDREN

1) Give the kid their own distinct motivation and worldview that isn't just about having some cute/dorky reaction to the adults.

2) Don't give the kid simple linear character development. They're naive kids, so they should have some false starts, disappointments, etc. They should learn by trial and error.

It's been a while since I saw ReBoot; I recall Enzo being very cheesy at the beginning, but I like how they handled Season 4 kid Enzo.
There's a tense situation going on around him, but he's on a different page from the others and tries to emulate Matrix. And then he realizes he doesn't have to, and he grows out of it in a relatively short time.
It captured the way phases come & go when you're a kid.

>Rebecca Sugar got her fetish into her show
I guess that meme applies to women too.

I can't be the only one who thought this said Tagalog kid.

Yeah you got me. I thought this said Tagalog kid and was wondering why they put a pic of Steven instead of Janna or something.