Why do backwater countries like crap like The Phantom so much?

Why do backwater countries like crap like The Phantom so much?

It's like they cannot grasp actually entertaining comics like Jack Kirby.

Attached: the phantom.jpg (1024x768, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pSBMFOkYSRU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm not even bumping this shit because someone who thinks "Jack Kirby" is too complex for anyone doesn't deserve a bump, but I'll give you an answer:
It's not economically viable to read floppies in the third world. Depending on where you are, not even if you actually have the money you'll be able to get them in the first place thanks to shit distribution.
Phantom was sold in albums, which meant they were a one-time purchase for a full story, but his albums were also cheaper than shit like Asterix or Lucky Luke, which were sold in libraries and specialized shops, unlike the Phantom which you can often still find in supermarkets and shit.

Never read The Phantom but most of Kirby's work is actually pretty bad and it's only because the US is cape country that he's revered as highly as he is.

Non-american, his work isn't bad, it's just very wonky, both art and story wise, but his dynamism and out-of-control imagination more than make up for it.

Kirby was an innovator who did great shit with a heavy workload and created characters and stories that people love today the world over. His quality for the time was great. The Phantom is nowhere near that enduring or world renowned. It's dead for a reason in places that actually matter

Isn’t there a southeast Asian country completely obsessed with The Phantom? Like there’s street art EVERYWHERE of The Phantom

And no. I'm not saying everything Kirby did aged equally well (everyone has duds, especially in tens of hundreds of issues) but what this guy said

IDW still publishes new Phantom materials every now and then. The people who like capes like because that's what they're given, the fact that shit like Baldwin Shadow or Zane Phantom failed isn't indicative of the characters themselves, only of the movies.
You don't sound knowledeable enough to be making those vast generalizations, there are people reading every type of comic everywhere. The Phantom and Mandrak are pretty much evergreens in Brasil (where I'm from), and we have a very diverse market besides these golden age guys.

>implying our country (that is backwater as per OP) likes the Phantom

It's not that Kirby is complex, but that there's super heroes before and after Kirby. Kirby was an innovator, his comics were bombastic, entertaining, while his art was bizarre and powerful, as were his concepts. Kirby comics were pure FUN.

Meanwhile, Phantom, like most strip heroes, is pedestrian, boring.

Attached: Kirby Cap.jpg (467x502, 58K)

>we have a very diverse market besides these golden age guys.
Only old people like The Phantom in Brazil. And that's why Brazilian capes suck, because they were created by those old people.

What BR people really like is manga. And the Shadown isn't boring like The Phantom. The Shadow is a noir pulp hero.

Literally cooler than every other comic book character.

Attached: e.jpg (305x425, 41K)

I have more than capes myself, if we're including Dynamite pulp comics, Saga, Trees + a few more. I'm British and know just fine that there are plenty of publishers out there.
Trying to call Kirby bad in favour of a different American comic character is fanboy shit, and incorrect. And on that note, yes, the OP was also fanboy shit

>actually entertaining comics like Jack Kirby.
user, Silver Age is entertaining to non-Muricans only in a historic or a "so-bad-its-good" type of way. Its wruting is objectively shitty by today's standards. So there's no difference for me brtween the Phantom or any other old comic where 75% of each page is the narrator/characters monologuing about their awesome powers and where there are like 5 character archetypes overall.

He's got a cooler backstory than any "mainstream" superhero characters. You can't prove me wrong.

Strip heres weren't mean to be read on a single sitting, which is why they sound boring (granted, the stories aren't anything to die for most of the time and you'd be better reading old pulps).
I'm 28 and I like Lee Falk. Just because your bananada 18yo group only reads big two and shonen shit doesn't mean there isn't a very diverse and healthy public for other shit.
Also, who the fuck cares about brazilian capes, there's loads of people producing good non-cape work you fucking dolt.
Kirby is literally one of my favourite artists (in the "producer of art", not in the "penciller" sense) of all time, but his work is very wonky in a lot of places.
Pretty much every early comic artist had this problem, there simply wasn't that much going around that could "round" them, they were threading in the dark, and this is definitely part of the charm.

The Phantom is fairly down to earth yet pulpy goodness.
Kirby's superheroes just come off as childish, not everyone is twelve.
t. backwater country that draws most of the Phantom comics these days

>Kirby's superheroes just come off as childish, not everyone is twelve.
Superheroes are for children.

Kirby was influenced by the strips like Flash Gordan it’s just Kirby innovated the comic BOOK format and I captialized that for the reason the medium changed once multiple strips were collected forming the modern comic book. There Kirby got to go crazy in his storytelling and he hit his peak in the late 60s and his 70s output were also endearing. Kirby is the comic book industry personified in one man.

The Phantom is a great character as well. I might have to look into some old Kirby Collector issues to see if the Phantom influenced ol’ Jack.

I had some Phantom comics in the 1980's.

This thread is giving me cancer.

We don't get floppies but books that collect 3-4 books for the price of two. Even in Europe you can see that. Only Americans are dumb enough to pay so much for so little.

>It's not economically viable to read floppies in the third world.
It's not viable in the first world. It's why they're dying

i wish i had an island to protect

remember when baby Vinesauce Joel went to see the Phantom at a grocery store but it turned out to be just a guy in a Phantom t-shirt?

The Phantom is just such a cool character, silly costume not withstanding.

Most heroes live in cities, he protects a jungle. That setting immediately changes up the main dynamics and makes it fun when he has to go undercover as a normal man.

Generations of people have met him, not realizing that he's not the same person but rather a legacy hero from the 1600's (and all the way back in Roman times for a few offshoot adventures).

He's simply great!

>shitting on The Phantom
You’re probably the same faggot who thought Wallace and Gromit was shit

>silly costume not withstanding.
I like his costume more than most superheroes. Maybe that's just me

one of the islands, Papa new guinea or something. Start there.

It's fine in 2D but there's no way of making it work in live action without being silly.

We could have a nice comfy thread about The Phantom but noo, OP just had to try and stir up shit using Jack Kirby

I doubt you give a single fuck about either of those

Attached: 1516566488892.png (231x181, 70K)

It's not too late! Let's fix it now:

Favorite old timey story? Mine is when the Phantom teams up with Benjamin Franklin to figure out the mystery of the Loch Ness monster.

Literally nothing wrong with The Phantom. Let them have their fun

>I might have to look into some old Kirby Collector issues to see if the Phantom influenced ol’ Jack.
Every superhero back then drew influence from The Phantom, since he was the first character to transport the larger than life aspects of pulp heroes in an iconic, colorful costume in comic pages.
It seems very likely to me.

Those are our floppies mate, and they're still not worth that price.

Attached: sxxhm05112ouv0gfdndu.jpg (1600x900, 149K)

Isn't he mainly popular in like Sweden and Australia? Hardly backwater countries.

>inb4 /pol/acks

It's mostly older people who are/were into him though. My dad had a bunch of phantom comics. From the 90's kids mostly got into standard Marvel/DC as far as superhero comics go. Though cape comics were never that popular overall, compared to say Donald Duck or Bamse.

Jack Kirby isn't a comic, OP.

I'm a 90's Aus kid and while I don't buy the comics regularly I quite like the Phantom, I always read the newspaper strips. I'd guess it helps that his comic here is sold in newsagents.

The Phantom is pretty popular in Sweden, apparenly.
youtube.com/watch?v=pSBMFOkYSRU

Yeah, he's a staple. Basically everything but Donald Duck crossed over with him at some point.
He's not as big as he used to be, but they managed to gradually modernize him.

Attached: Phaantom John K.jpg (1247x1158, 385K)