WHERES THE JOKE SCHULZ

WHERES THE JOKE SCHULZ

Attached: HOLY.gif (600x127, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xEvJmI7uJ-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If this came out today people would call it cringe at scream that comics shouldn't ever be serious, because the idea of an honestly sincere look at anything is viewed as an afront to the super epic ironic nihilist culture of today

This would earn Linus a trip to sexual harassment reeducation camp. Or being banned from the security blanket store.

And even Sally would abandon her "sweet baboo" for fear of being ostracized by the other girls of the neighborhood.

Attached: Peanuts1972-06-23.gif (600x128, 54K)

damn that's fucking cute

Peanuts is cool

please don't cry patty

Attached: 1500224024488.jpg (1080x1080, 283K)

Not a ship I ever thought I'd see but alright, it works.

You should consider hanging out with different people, user.

>hanging out with different people
What user in their right mind would do that?

hot tip: stop hanging out in the student lounge

The joke is that she's in love with a DOG!

>implying I hang out in any place full of normalfags

Which is why get rid of your jewish "friends".

I'd like to think that sadboi shit like this would actually be more accepted that before.
Source: My own depression

Attached: 1496862507785.jpg (491x719, 62K)

The joke is that Linus being a turbochad for once diverted Patty away from a self-loathing-fueled "experimental phase" in her young adult years.

This was one of the last strips he ever wrote, too.

Attached: 20000102.jpg (900x606, 293K)

epic fanfic bro

I was going to respond by asking who else to hang out with at first, but you really hit the nail on the head with that one. I'm in grad school right now and everyone's like this.
I really wouldn't call them my friends, they're just the people I interact with daily. Everything is 10,000% cynical with them and it's incredibly tiring

Attached: EEnE Eddy tired.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Aw man I actually remember that strip really clearly, it really was one of the last ones that came out before he died.

I remember the last time I saw this in a thread. user mentioned how the lines were so shit and that's why Schulz had to make everything under rain...
Shit man why do I feel like this about fucking saturday morning squiggles.

Attached: nigga what.png (540x405, 144K)

I'm with Watterson when it comes to peanuts. Great, but only funny in the occasional sad depressing sort of way.

More Shaggy x Patty when

Attached: DzYi9SKXQAU7n8a.jpg (3036x4096, 1.72M)

Just because it's Peanuts, doesn't automatically make it good. Schulz had his off days.

Attached: 574.jpg (1888x390, 431K)

>implying comics should only focus on comedy
Man, the best comics strips have something like 90% comedy before hitting you with 10% feels.
>Calvin and Hobbes Raccoon, and general thoughtfulness
Anyway, post more Patty, the best girl in all of Peanuts

Attached: 1542941094186.jpg (1100x1280, 267K)

>not posting the best Charlie Brown comic

Attached: good grief.gif (612x3629, 341K)

>You will never find your Peppermint Patty.

>like,you need to tell him the truth,man.

Going by the character, you don't find your Peppermint Patty, she find you, and you just ignore her.

Honestly, some of the best Peanuts comics didn't have jokes. The strip was at its best when it had strong character moments, like in the OP.

This is Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal right?

It's funny because she's a fucking loser just like Charlie Brown. Really think about it, half of all the jokes in Peanuts is from CB's failure and by recasting it in a different light from PP's perspective gives us a different view on the whole comic

Attached: 2b2eccb1af74d6530b7e521f6c660c16.jpg (600x405, 42K)

This is literally the conflict that sets of The Picture of Dorian Gray and it's pretty much equally as funny in the novel as it is in this comic, even without the Peanuts tie-in.

I kind of want to read Peanuts, but reading it from its very beginning doesn’t seem like the correct way to go about this. Is there like an annotated or compilation that is only the good or important stuff?

Didnt he work for MAD?

>but reading it from its very beginning doesn’t seem like the correct way to go about this
This is always the correct way to go about it and no your time is not so valuable that you need a curated collection so you can feel like you fit in here. I don't mean to get up your ass about this but it's genuinely true.

Based tones

Alright. I guess I’ll start ordering volumes. I just figured it wasn’t all good.

THE JOKE IS ON ME FOR LIKING HER!!!!!

Attached: 52786732_2258027277581642_8252472560512401408_n.jpg (400x265, 27K)

I didn't know. If I had only realized it then.

no

You can't do this to me!

Really? I've read all of the strips and don't remember any that don't have jokes besides OP.

Can't go even sadder , that's perfect saddness right ther. , they do feed onto my before sleep likes. NOw she is approved.

Don't say that .!!!

This makes me want to
>Disfigure
the little red-haired girl so hard.

Good lord, something tells me you're in the hyper-serious I'm-an-adult phase of your early 20s. I don't envy you one bit. As you get older people take themselves less seriously and learn to appreciate sappiness and melodrama again, so don't worry

Attached: schulz_peanuts_10-16-1964.jpg (1600x568, 351K)

peppermint patty is pathetic, I love seeing her get bullied

Which patty is best patty?

Attached: Patti_2.jpg (800x600, 84K)

When I was much younger I never realized Rex Morgan was a serial and kept wondering what the joke was.

There's nothing wrong with this strip though? In context it was a response to a parody of Peanuts in Mad

All of the strips are available online for free and legally.

Ironically not really, although I get how you'd think that from my post. I love absolutely goofy over the top stuff just fine, I'm just surrounded by people IRL that would shit all over this strip and I'm really becoming jaded because of it. There's nothing wrong with stuff being fun, but there's nothing wrong with stuff taking a decent look at thing either, and I know far too many people that would immediately call this "cringe, yikes, etc" were the peanuts brand not attached to it.

I wanna wrestle that. Wrestle that til our clothes are gone.

The difference when comparing this to how modern joke-a-day comics do drama is that there's actual foundation and lead-up to these kinds of 'serious' strips. This strip was the climax of something like two weeks of steady buildup, and built naturally on Patti's established crush on Chuck and her image and self-esteem issues.

The very last Sunday strip, in fact.

I can't imagine any form of fiction that runs for 50 years could possibly remain good for the entire length of time, but for at least 20 it was the best thing in the funny papers.

Yes

As the comic went on, Schulz became increasingly upset that his characters hadn't really moved that much. He apparently broke down in an interview when he realized that Charlie Brown never got to kick that football for example. I feel like you can feel a bit of that frustration in this comic, adds an extra level of melancholy to it.

Pic unrelated, right?

That was in December '99, only a few months before his death.
>All of a sudden I thought, "You know, that poor, poor kid, he never even got to kick the football. What a dirty trick—he never had a chance to kick the football."

fuck

Attached: IMG_1452.jpg (561x516, 39K)

Oh wow.

IIRC he actually broke down into tears as he said that

>In November 1999, Schulz suffered several small strokes and a blocked aorta, and he was later found to have colon cancer that had metastasized. Because of the chemotherapy and the fact that he could not see clearly, he announced his retirement on December 14, 1999. This was difficult for Schulz, who told Al Roker on The Today Show, "I never dreamed that this was what would happen to me. I always had the feeling that I would probably stay with the strip until I was in my early eighties. But all of a sudden it's gone. It's been taken away from me. I did not take this away from me."

Attached: wisk.png (182x174, 50K)

Attached: depressed.png (280x414, 240K)

Peppermint. By miles, it's not even a competition.

schroeder is such a bro
a take no bullshit, what the fuck do you expect me to do about it asshole type of bro, but a bro none the less

No, because if it came out today, it would still have thousands of strips preceding it giving it context and impact.

Loss isn't a forever-joke just because it tries to be 'serious'. It's because it tries to be 'serious' when its context is being in a uninspired, derivative, one-dimensional gag comic about gamers.

You're too young to be posting at Yea Forums, Lucy

Cringe has lost all meaning at this point and is tossed out as a substitute for actual effort in expressing oneself.

youtu.be/xEvJmI7uJ-g
Put on loop for 4 hours, that's what this thread is making me feel right now

Attached: 1544730015790.jpg (580x548, 21K)

Why are you like this?

He's just a man hurt by the world