Be years ago

>be years ago
>previews for Green Lantern movie are out
>people who grew up on Justice League cartoon get pissed cuz GL is the very white Ryan Reynolds
>FUCKING WHITEWASHING HOLLYWOOD
Did you meet any of these people? Black user here, so I had to explain the different GLs to some of my family.

Attached: jla651-610x457.jpg (610x457, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCFTNTDy5wE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doesn't matter, they didn't go to the movie because of it, irrespective of their viewpoints, and comic book/genre fans didn't go to the movie and the movie tank, thus tanking the nascent DCU at the knees

What did fan boys mean by this?

You have to admit, forcing Hal Jordan down everyone's throats when everyone was used to John Stewart was pretty fucking stupid.

And the movie had tons of other problems anyway.

Yeah, I still woulda preferred a movie with John Stewart.

Movie would still be a massive pile of shit, though.

Yes. My cousin's (((fiance))) made it very clear over thanksgiving that year how upset she was about black underrepresentation in media to my all white family.

Yeah. Everyone grew up with him and a lot of the other GLs don’t have much modern representation. The problem is if they chose John they’d have way too much setup and convuluted storytelling that goes way above your typical theatrical audience’s head.

it's funny because my first GL exposure was STAS, so I was hoping for kyle rayner. this cool, relatable artist guy whose power is creativity. I was disappoint by the straightlaced white airforce man AND the straightlaced black marine man

but just like captain sisko, Jon got a lot cooler when he made the trade from the fade to a beard. somehow that just made it all better.

>The problem is if they chose John they’d have way too much setup and convuluted storytelling that goes way above your typical theatrical audience’s head.
Rumor is, WB is going for John Stewart as the protagonist and giving us an older Hal for a Training Day-style approach for GLC, which could actually work really well.

Speaking of, hopes and dreams for that movie? I hope they do better with the constructs and don't make them look like 'generic Hollywood energy/magic,' like in JL.

Younger guy of age here. So 3 years back in High School I was reading Green Lantern right before Hal became Parallax. A black classmate came up to ask what I was reading.
>”Green Lantern “
>”But isn’t he black?”
>”Well Green Lantern is a space cop, anybody can be one. *Open Green Lantern:Mosaic * This is John Stewart, the one you’re talkin ‘bout
>”Ok. That’s cool”
I dunno why it’s hard to explain to people that Green Lantern is a job/Corp/service and not a singular identity

well that's kind of its own problem. There's supposed to be 2 GLs per sector and there's like five on earth alone.

the problem is people only accept what is shown to them instead of maybe digging around to learn more about it. I liked JL/U john stewart but i read comics featuring Hal, John, Guy and Kyle and while I feel that using john for "diversity" purposes wasn't the best situation, they made up for it with storytelling.

A big one i have right now is Teen Titans, the shows made it seem like the roster on the show was the original and every media after it has to make some combo of that team the standard now yet people forget by the time cyborg, beast boy, raven and starfire joined the team Dick was already Nightwing and the orignal team was some combo of Robin, Speedy, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wonder Doll, Hawk and Dove, Golden Eagle, Bumblebee and Herald

that's cause earths sector is fucked up also because of blackest night thats where the white lantern entity resided

Earth is kinda a shitty neighborhood.

>by the time cyborg, beast boy, raven and starfire joined the team Dick was already Nightwing
this is very false

When you hear the backstory of why they made Green Lantern in the first place you will see why they went for Hal instead of John. It's truly baffling how some of these people are in charge of multi billion dollar companies

i prefer john stewart. Hal's weakness isnt yellow, its that he's fucking retarded, and thats pretty bad as a character weakness

>Training Day approach
Then I'd rather the Denzel character be Sinestro.

Jon is too boring. He's just another military man like Hal with none of the extra stuff that makes Hal interesting. I rather have Guy Gardener because he makes things interesting.

>there's like five on earth alone.
I mean there are 5 humans but it isn't like all 5 are in the same area aside from special occasions

normal ass white dude here man 100% agree

every white green lantern is boring af flanders shit

meanwhile john navy seal fuck you conflicting emotions bro from justice league over here big dicking

Attached: set sail for dick.jpg (215x200, 12K)

I actually didn't realize there were multiple Green Lanterns until that movie came out. I was also surprised and kinda disappointed when I saw the trailers and wondered why Green Lantern was suddenly white.

However since then I've come to enjoy Hal as a character, so long as they aren't depicting him as a boring idiot like in the live action film or the new justice league animated movies.

Attached: john_stewart_by_jasric-d7q9mj9.jpg (900x1350, 170K)

>every white green lantern is boring af flanders shit
It's not a race thing. I'm black and Guy is far less boring than John

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCFTNTDy5wE

Also hal is fine even if he is kinda plain. they made John cool in JL and JLU. Having John's introduction be ours would be cool and hal could work as the mentor that's been off earth.

>993▶
> (You)
it's not a race thing but also when every green lantern bores the shit out of me and they all happen to be white and the one I like happens to be black maybe it's a bit a race thing?

Tell them Green Lantern is actually interesting when it's not some nigger who only makes simple bubbles around himself and fires the ring like a laser. John never bothered with constructs. So fucking boring.

>black classmate came up to ask what I was reading
"Green Lante....."
>nigger steals user's comic

>but it isn't like all 5 are in the same area
'MURRICA

FUCK YEAH

Let it go.

INDISPUTABLE GREEN LANTERN RANKING INC:

Guy Gardner
Kyle Rayner
Jessica Cruz
POWER GAP
Simon "Gun Lantern" Baz
Hal "Boxing Gloves are the Extent of my Imagination" Jordan

>Doesn't know the difference between OG Teen Titans and New Teen Titans

Fuck you, the CARTOON was forcing John Stewart down my throat when I was used to Hal Jordan

I'd rather see Denzel as Sinestro!

sir, i think that would make you racist

Not about the movie specifically, but I used to have a co-worker who asked me why they "made Green Lantern white," where myself and another co-worker explained that there are 5 or 6 different GL's from Earth. I don't know if he was satisfied with the answer or not because he immediately shifted gears and asked why there hasn't been a black Batman yet.

Why does everyone think there needs to be a "Black [Popular White Character]" instead of being fans of a character who was black from the start?

Attached: Storm_Evolution.jpg (250x188, 12K)

New Teen Titans began with Dick as Robin. He becomes Nightwing during the Judas Contract, which is obviously further down the line.

John not doing constructs in the cartoon was likely a time/effort saver. He has the most detailed constructs in the comics, on account of his engineering degree.

Green Lantern isn't a character, it is a job. John Stewart has always been black. Also, people fight about Hal vs. Kyle all the time.

I'm talking about the "why hasn't there been a black Batman" complaint

I'm confused why so many people always want Knockoff Black Version of x character instead of an original character who is black

I'd didn't know what whitewashing was at the time, but as someone who grew up on the cartoon I was very confused as to why GL wasn't black.

John isn't the best GL, but he's still a better race pick for the Justice League.

Good thing based Hollywood knows Murica is not the only market then

Normies just want to bitch and to feel like their bitching matters.

This

As an adult I know he was still the best GL because he could think of more than a boxing glove. Fuck Hal.

>I only watched the show and didn't read the comics so I don't know how fucking stupid I am.

I don't know why DC loves Hal so much
The character had a history of racism and statutory rape attached to his name. Not a very compelling character to push honestly.

Geoff Johns essentially self inserts him?

>The character had a history of racism and statutory rape attached to his name
based fuck niggers and fuck women

At the time the show started, Hal had stopped being Green Lantern seven years prior and was also dead for five years (and the Spectre for two).

Especially when black panther is basically black batman

The movie was shit anyway . It just the butthurt justice league fans that didn't see it

The real problem with these movies Is that DC refuses to advertise or anything

Based

Guy Gardner is comic relief. He doesn't work as a lead character.

>The character had a history of racism and statutory rape attached to his name. Not a very compelling character to push honestly.
That is what makes Hal such loveable character.

>the only way I can feel things is by getting mad over imaginary scenarios

Same with forcing Barry everywhere. They nerfed all of Wally's character development to revive him and give him Wally's traits.

I had a teacher in high school who told something like " my son uses to watch a cartoon with a black GL but they make him white in the movie. Kinda racist".

earth is the gotham of space

>mfw 12yo me was like that because I only knew of black Green Lantern

Oof

Didn't Hal Jordan come down with a bad case of "Kidfuckeritis" at one point?

Putting Silver-Age fanboys in charge of DC was a mistake.

What's funny is that Barry is arguably even less interesting than Hal. At least Hal has a few things going for him, like his father's death, going crazy and killing a bunch of GLs and Guardians, becoming Parallax, fucking a teen. Barry's just dull.

Fuck you fags, Hal's great. He's the "reckless hotshot" done right. Besides, the rings run on willpower, so it makes sense that an impulsive pighead would be really fucking tough.

Attached: hal-jordan-green-lantern.jpg (600x886, 135K)

>Outsider of gotham wants to nuke the city for keeping mother fuckers like Poison Ivy and Joker Alive and letting them run wild.
>Outsider of earth wants to glass earth because it does the same thing
>Increasing degrees of magnitude from solar system, galaxy and universe, dimension and multiverse.

Attached: These_comics.jpg (1920x1080, 146K)

IIRC, it was an odd situation. Basically, Arisia was something like 26-27 years old according to the Earth's revolutions of its Sun. But by her home planet's standards, she was only 13-14 years old, basically just a teenager, both physically and mentally, and Hal didn't realize that at first.

>Fuck you fags, Hal's great. He's the "reckless hotshot" done right. Besides, the rings run on willpower, so it makes sense that an impulsive pighead would be really fucking tough.
I get that more out of Guy than Hal. Hal is SUPPOSED to be something like Indiana Jones with a power ring but I honestly don't really see it. He's kinda boring, honestly. And I don't even hate him, I actually like him, I really do. But he's not really as interesting as Guy or Kyle, or even John in some cases.

>But he's not really as interesting as Guy or Kyle,
Okay, that's fair.

>or even John in some cases.
...ya lost me. When has John ever been anything other than "MUH XANSHI"?

>...ya lost me. When has John ever been anything other than "MUH XANSHI"?
That time he became a Guardian of the freakin' Universe.

Ah, so the classic "She just looks like a kid but she's actually a 400 year old loli"

Hal is the GOAT lantern.

Dumbass Hal is best Hal.

fuck off HEATfag

The fact that Hal has such a flawed background IS what makes him a compelling character.

>and Hal didn't realize that at first.
I don't buy it, their first meeting ever has him call her a kid and treating her as one. Yes, she made her body develop with the ring so that it won't be pedo, but he still had something similar to conscience, pic related.

Attached: 1508133933787.jpg (496x440, 366K)

So do Lanterns even need to pay attention to constructs once they're made? I always used to think they required constant concentration to maintain, but lately I've seen times where people will make one, then go do something else for awhile.

This. Hal is based man who thinks with his dick.