readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Avengers-1963/Annual-7?id=63521
readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Avengers-1963/Issue-125?id=10732
marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_1_118
marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Iron_Man_Vol_1_55
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(comics)
cbr.com/rocket-raccoon-creator-bill-mantlo-marvel-compensation/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

...and the next page.

Attached: IH248.12.jpg (1000x1536, 308K)

What exactly are you confused about? There used to be one soul gem, Warlock's, created in Roy Thomas' Warlock. Then Starlin made a total of 6 in his Warlock, then years later after his return to Marvel he revealed them to actually be six different Infinity Gems in Thanos Quest. Standard comic reuse and retcon procedure.

Well firstly the Infinity STONEs and the Infinity GEMs in 616 are different sets of things, the Infinity Gems were the Soul Gems, or more accurately people just didn't know enough about them to realize the Soul Gems were Infinity Stones according to Thanos (Starlin) in Thanos Quest but eventually this too changed, as with everything cosmic these days, when Earth Heroes, consisting this time of the Illuminati and Captain America, tried to stall some multiversal nonsense you're better off not dwelling on with the Gems (which they just got because reasons) and the Gems broke from attempting to exert their abilities on another reality conveniently allowing them to then be substituted with the recent Infinity Stones which better resemble the colors of the MCU versions.

There's also some stuff about Malibu Comics and extra gems but don't mind that.

So, pretty much, I really should make no attempt to understand it in a rational way, but, could get some history from reading Warlock and Thanos Quest...
Any other suggested reading?

...and where could I find this story where Thanos was turned to granite, and, obviously, after which at some point, he un-turned himself from the granite...
Editors were generally good about referencing back than, but didn't in this case.

>Roy Thomas Captain Marvel (optional)
>Roy Thomas Warlock (optional)
>Starlin Captain Marvel
>Starlin Warlock
>Starlin Silver Surfer
>Thanos Quest
>Infinity Gauntlet
But yes its comics this kind of shit happens all the time, writers love to take throwaway characters and concepts and revamp them because they're free to play around with their history and characterization.

Just read Starlin's Captain Marvel, Warlock, Silver Surfer, Thanos Quest, and Infinity Gauntlet. They comprise the earliest and essential stories about Thanos. He wrote a bunch of shit after that, sequels to Infinity Gauntlet, the Infinity Watch ongoing which connects them, other miniseries and GNs that almost always have Infinity in the title. I'm a huge Starlinfag but the early stuff is the best and most notable, his Warlock being my favorite.

Appreciate it.
Thanks for taking the time.

from what collection is this from? i like how they didn't recolor the comic all shitty with modern style.

That is Incredible Hulk #248, at the beginning of Bill Mantlo's run, with Sal Buscema;
I'm not sure where the original story came from; that was part of the purpose of the thread.
I'm guessing the original is somewhere in what this user listed Still, at this point, it's hard to make any real sense of these gems...
At the end of this Hulk issue, he tosses the gem through the planet to the core and reinvigorates the planet;
So, I guess that gem is gone?

Thanos gets turned to stone at the end of Starlin's Warlock stuff, I want to say it's in Marvel Two-in-One or something. He comes back in Silver Surfer when Death juices him up on cosmic steroids and sends him out on an errand. She told him it was SUPER important, like the balance of the universe was totally at stake, but really she probably just got tired of him being so clingy.

>1967 - 1977
>TFW Adam is technically a shota

I'll keep an eye out for this bit of faggotry.

first off those panels with Warlock, Spidey and the Stranger are from Marvel Team-Up #55 also by Bill Mantlo

the Thanos part is from Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 both by Starlin

you should also read Avengers #125 it's by Steve Englehart, the only writer to work with Thanos besides Starlin in prime Thanos War era, issue 125 leads to Captain Marvel #33. the oder is a bit screwy but i love that about old comics, they made you read everything because there was a larger story going down.

At first, they were 6 gems of awesome cosmic power, named "soul gems" after Warlock's(the only one with soul-related powers).
Later, Thanos rebranded them to "Infinity Gems".
They were destroyed during the Incursions.

After the reboot of the Omniverse, 6 new "Infinity Stones" were discovered. They work differently from the Gems. It was an actual plot-point.

No worries about the order, user.
Everything checks out.
Kicking back reading through the kino right now.
Much appreciated.

Attached: AvengersAnnual7.4.jpg (1041x1600, 569K)

>soul gems
That's what initially confused me in the panels in the OP,
Later in that issue, Hulk seemingly destroys the soul gem, which I had thought was the soul STONE,
only to find out, at that time, there were a bunch of soul gems.
Anyway, sorting through it all now.
Gotta love these old crossovers.
No wonder it all got so confusing.
Still fun to read.

Attached: MarvelTwoinOneAnnual2.jpg (1054x1600, 762K)

read thanos quest. it goes into enough detail about the gems for IG to make sense

very cool i should do the same. you just reading Warlock?

On the list to do.
Right now, I'm sorting through this user's list for the back story in the Hulk issue I was reading. readcomiconline.to/Comic/Marvel-Team-Up-1972/Issue-55?id=34675#1
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Marvel-Two-In-One/Annual-2?id=64538#1
readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Avengers-1963/Annual-7?id=63521
With fair warning that sometimes that site can slow the ol' puter down a bit.

Attached: AvengersAnnual7.jpg (1041x1600, 690K)

Man, those annuals are a big gap in my memory because stores in town didn't carry them.

My small town still had a half-dozen grocery stores, convenience stores, and drug stores that carried a comics spinner rack. And I visited every one of them religiously getting my comics kick. None of them had these annuals.

I'm assuming there was some options when buying comics for a spinner where the store order-maker could choose a standard package of comics, and the more expensive comics either weren't part of that package or were easily excluded/forgot. No idea. But for years I never saw these higher-priced annuals.

And yes, I'm very old.

I grew up in the '80s, and got my regular issues sent through the mail straight from Marvel.
I would order the annuals through Mile High at that time (6 weeks for delivery).
Hell, it was impossible to keep up.
Anyway, off to college in the 90's and forgot all about comics.
Fast forward 25 yrs or so, and I find out:
I can read ANY COMIC online for free.
So here I am, picking up a childish hobby I gave up a lifetime ago.
Pretty sweet actually.

Adding this...
Buscema's were workhorses.
readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Avengers-1963/Issue-125?id=10732

Attached: Avengers125.1.jpg (800x1162, 397K)

If you really want to get an overarching story like in the MCU then also read the Avengers/Defenders War it's interesting because it shows a panel of Thanos defending Titan

Attached: A118_OtherHeroes.jpg (536x804, 184K)

This is probably my favorite era of Marvel;
It's probably just nostalgia, but, I like everything about it:
The art, the dialogue.
I dug up the reading order, to be certain:
Avengers #115
Defenders #8
Avengers #116
Defenders #9
Avengers #117
Defenders #10
Avengers #118
Defenders #11
Thanks for throwing that one out there.

Back when the Stranger and In-Betweener were considered elders. And elders were not just really old guys but a group of cosmic beings from other dimensions.

She sent him out to go kill half of the universe's population. And got really pissed at him a few times for hunting down various Elders for their gems instead of killing off planets like she told him to go do.

Does this mean Avengers #118 came out before Iron Man #55?

No.

marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_1_118

marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Iron_Man_Vol_1_55

Thanos debuted in 'Iron Man'. Interestingly several years before Eternals were a thing.

Enjoying this.
Seemed stupid at first that they would believe Loki, but,
These Defenders are a bit of a shady crew.

Attached: Avengers116.10.jpg (1064x1600, 751K)

The whole Eternals thing is crazy. I like how Jimmy Starlin connected the Titans with Kirby’s original Eternals.

>The whole Eternals thing is crazy
I just read a whole wikipedia article on these things, and,
Being a fan of marvel for more than a few decades, really don't know that much about them.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(comics)
From the article:
> Filming will begin in August 2019 in Atlanta.
It made sense, that is, the success of the Avengers with average movie-goer;
These characters were embedded in the public conscious for over fifty years.
But, I really don't see how these next phases of the MCU will go over.
These are nerd-level characters that have only appealed to the most hardcore fanbase.
Anyway, drop an Eternals reading list, for anyone who might find these characters to be worthwhile.

Makes you wonder what she sees in the guy.

I try to put a reading order for the Eternals it’s hard because the original concept by Kirby was intended to be its own thing like a stand alone thing just like the New Gods were going to be. I do know Avengers 247 and 248 were key because that’s the issues were Starfox is told the Titans were originally Eternals from Earth. Marvel Boy and Uranus are also Eternals that left Titan.

Speaking of Mantlo and the Elders of the Universe, I think it was Bill Mantlo who named the Elders in Avengers 174.

He is definitely credited with writing the story for #174.
Mantlo was a fill-in writer before taking on bigger projects;
He waffled for a bit with Incredible Hulk, but was finally given leeway to take the character from the basic "leave Hulk alone" to having Banner's intelligence;
It opened up a whole new path for the Hulk, torn between extreme intellect and the savage persona, that David later capitalized on.
His Hulk series hits a high point between 288 and 312, after which Byrne took over, fucked up, and David came in.
Mantlo passed the bar, took on pro bono cases, while still employed at Marvel, and
Was promptly run over by a car.
He lived. The rest is kind of sad.
cbr.com/rocket-raccoon-creator-bill-mantlo-marvel-compensation/

Mantlo Bump.

Byrne also fucked up Mantlo's Microverse with Fantastic Four #282.

I'll check into that.
It seems like all his projects died with the accident.
Evidently, a lot had to do with Byrne's shitty writing.
Sad story; I'm glad to see Marvel took care of their guy in the end.