ITT: Forgotten Simpsons characters

How come Wendell, Lewis, and Richard never do anything? They used to be in Bart's circle of friends but now he only ever hangs out with Milhouse and sometimes Nelson.

Attached: Simpsons background fodder.png (503x383, 245K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5M_2ZXWs55g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The show dropped a lot of early season characters.

In the case of Dr. Monroe, they outright killed him off-screen, but then later retconned him into being alive.

Attached: latest[1].png (221x668, 53K)

The Simpsons forgot how to tell a good story and how to write round characters over 10 seasons ago. So of course they dropped minor characters completely as well.

Who's the most RECENT Simpsons character?

Gil?

they never bothered to give them personalities.

Julio, the flamboyant gay guy

Being gay isn’t a personality trait.

All this talk about the problem with Apu, and nobody remembers Manjula.

Attached: Manjula_Nahasapeemapetilon.jpg (300x450, 21K)

the introduction of Gil and making him the de facto replacement for Lionel Hutz is the true jump the shark moment for the simpsons

Attached: tumblr_o2x5krP0tF1qh59n0o1_540.png (540x405, 221K)

Which one is Richard?

Hartman was killed, dude. But I do agree, the first appearance of Gil is just right when the rot started.

Who are those two guys that hang out at Moe's that aren't Lenny and Carl?

Shauna but I just looked up she first appeared on 2009 so I maybe wrong

Attached: tumblr_m2lrdjz9BT1qh59n0o1_250.gif (250x141, 129K)

I think they got used more in the comics, for what it's worth.

Jesus, what made them think Gil was funny enough to use more than once?

Barney and Homer

I think he means the guy with the long face and stringy hair, and the guy with the glasses that always wears a trucker hat.

Eh, I never minded him in brief moments, but that Christmas episode that revolved around him was awful.

I wish these farmers showed up more.

Attached: 640160.jpg (640x480, 49K)

With the way Simpsons loves scavenging for plots by devoting entire episodes to the lives and backstories of bit characters, I'm honestly surprised that the barflies at Moe's haven't had episodes centered on them

Probably my biggest pet peeve of nu Simpsons is when they write Bart like he's 15/16 because they ran out of plots for a 10 year old. It just comes off creepy

The computer they use to animate the Simpsons these days probably doesn't have their character models on file.

Apu himself hasnt had a speaking line in a simpsons episode for like 6+ years.

Attached: APU.png (500x500, 51K)

What about those random guys they used to show in Moe's?

I had a Simpsons guidebook as a kid, they're called Larry and barfly.

If it's a character played by Hank Azaria, what they are is their personality trait.

Sometimes they downright write him as a 30-something hipster.

They still show up in the background every time an episode shows Bart's class, because the class always has the same 20 students unless its a plot point. Most of them don't have names.

what I always find interesting is that in the early seasons Lenny and Carl were not regulars at Moe's at all. Homer always had his bar friends with Barney and Moe and he had his work friends in Lenny and Carl but no overlap between them. Lenny and Carl didn't become regulars at Moe's until season 5 or even 6 I want to say

Kumiko or the mall cop voiced by Keith David

The Sunday School teacher

They like Death of a Salseman.

I thought it was supposed to be Glengarry Glen Ross.

When's the last time Sideshow Bob actually showed up? Dude wasn't ieven in the simpsons movie way back which was suppose to be the ending.

Two years ago in a Gone Girl parody. I think the time before that was The Man Who Grew Too Much, where he genetically modified himself with a bunch of animal skills, like gills and the jumping power of a grasshopper.

This shows you how awful the Sneed meme is. It's from zombie Simpsons.

Why tho?

Apparently, because the VA's throat hurt every time he did Monroe, so he didn't want to do him anymore.

>barfly
that's not even a name

and sometimes he is just as a downright evil asshole

Actually it's Sam and Larry. Shamewwe see them so rarely in nu-simpsobs. I also miss the red scarf woman. They really made Moe's look more than just a background for Homer.

Attached: tumblr_m3nxc3TOUW1rv2j8no1_500.jpg (500x376, 52K)

They had Lewis in Tapped Out but not Richard.

Richard has the better design in my opinion.

Attached: Lewis_Clark_Unlock_Screen.png (1126x612, 293K)

The writers had no clue what they were doing early on (this is common in new shows). Once they figured out all the characters they cut the surplus ones.

Attached: eZSuBFZ_d.jpg (640x720, 39K)

Completely untrue, he was in the last Treehouse of Horror movie, the one with the meat zombies

Remember that episode in which Carlos was from Iceland?

Carl* fucking cellphone

I always wished they actually gave Lisa a school friend with some characterization.
If they'd done that early enough, maybe it would've helped to ground her as more of a kid instead of just having the writers talk through her.

I remember "Lemon of Troy" showed Lisa playing with Allison from "Lisa's Rival," and it would've been nice if they had more moments like that. Just acknowledge that Lisa has a bit of normal life in the background at least.

Simpsons comics tends to use characters like this a lot more

Most modern Simpsons aren't or doesn't feel like characters at all. Just look at Bart and Lisa, they are like parodies of their previous versions. Bart is a downright shit for the sake of it and Lisa is sad and too smart for her age.

At worst Bart sounds like a manchild and Lisa like a hipster.

It is in cartoons like simpsons and family guy

Sadly this

Why are you taking things I was thinking yesterday and making them into posts?

>Charlie is known to have bad luck and show lousy judgment at times. He is arrested for threatening to beat up local officials over the slow progression of HDTVs.[1] He was briefly disabled as stated by Lenny after Homer notices he is not at the plant.[2] This disability was clearly temporary as he is later seen back to work and in good health. As a member of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant softball team, Charlie uses his sister's wooden leg as a baseball bat.[3]

>Although Charlie has made mistakes, some of his bad luck is through no fault of his own. He was replaced by Mindy Simmons after he, Homer, Lenny, and Carl play a prank on a worker and cause a radioactive gas leak and Charlie complains to Mr. Burns that the plant requires a real emergency exit rather than one which is painted on. Burns lowers a giant tube which suck Charlie up, sending him to an Asian country where he is forced to dance on a table.[4] Another example of Charlie's misfortune beyond his power was where he, along with other employees, were harmed due to Homer's negligence. As Charlie and the other men screamed that they were on fire, Homer was daydreaming and imagining them as a clown show.[5]

I could swore I also saw him during the Guantanamo episode somewhere, but I couldn't find him on the episode recap in frinkiac. I think he is also the guy who charges after the donut seller on the episode where Marge works in the Nuclear Plant but I could be wrong again.

Attached: 536585.jpg (640x480, 39K)

>I also miss the red scarf woman.

Ruth Powers?

He's Stewie now. His age doesn't mean anything.

Exactly, they're not characters.

Are you talking about modern Simpsons, because they aren't.

Too bad they got axed

They stopped using him for years before they "killed him off". Season 3 had his last speaking roles as a recurring character, and by season 5, he didn't even appear in the background anymore.

Same. I mean, even Meg's friends in family guy have more character than any of the girls Lisa has interacted with.

I wish that girl who was popular and acted like a grown up stayed as one of Lisa's friends. She was a good contrast to her.

Homers best friends farmers 1 and 2 were never sneed again

Hell, I hace Kumiko. Also, who the fuck is the mall cop?

I honestly can't tell if you're just making shit up.

He's not.

>the one with the meat zombies
That was 10 years ago.

Did the 'Smug One' have a name? She always stands out when you see her in the background.

Attached: The_Bart_Book_(LoW)_excerpt.jpg (788x618, 193K)

>20 years from now they'll still be a source of irritation

Attached: 1453512572200.jpg (640x640, 46K)

I think the other one is named Sam.

IIRC the writers intentionally took away Lisa's friends to emphasize the fact that she was an outcast.

I was just about to write about Charlie. His greatest accomplishment was dropping that pencil down Homer’s buttcrack.

Ancillary characters are often tossed under the bus

There's Akira too, who became dated even faster than A POO because of weebs, javs and asian overrepresentation in mainstream media. Last time I saw him was in The Simpsons Game, fuck you it had good writing…mostlish.

Attached: 449997.jpg (640x480, 25K)

But even outcasts have at least one friend. Lisa having no friends at all just felt artificial.

Agree completely. I don't dislike Gil, but there were plenty of characters that could have played half of his roles better than him.

they lasted longer than you would have thought

>Probably my biggest pet peeve of nu Simpsons is when they write Bart like he's 15/16 because they ran out of plots for a 10 year old. It just comes off creepy
to be fair they had him be interested in naked girls as far back as the Tracey Ullman shorts, so it isn't exactly new

>But even outcasts have at least one friend. Lisa having no friends at all just felt artificial.
considering how Lisa acts in almost every episode focusing on her since around Season 8 or so, it's not surprising she has no real friends at all honestly

He was fine in season 9. It was after Hartman died that they started overusing him.

But that's what I mean. The way she acts around others feels artificial.

At this point, why even have her in the show if she's only going to serve as the mouthpiece for the writers and their braindead and poorly thought out opinions and not inflict any negative karma on her.

This week's episode only had her take over because the writers were either forced to or thought "This episode doesn't have enough Lisa, let's have her take over the plot and ruin everything!"

>Smug One
>20 years from now they'll still be a source of irritation
The Simpsons really can predict the future

It's kind of sad that if you think about it, Milhouse and Ralph are the closest things she has to a friend now.

Nelsons bully lackeys.

Feels like that overall that most early simpson episodes were a lot focused on the kids and their shenanigans.

Yeah, presumably because the network wanted to appeal more to kids. Once they realized that adults really liked the show too and that Homer was the real main character, things shifted.

Man,most of these kids don't even have names

Oh god, someone finally said it. The one kernel of truth in that whole Problem with Apu shitshow is that Hank Azaria just does lazy old-school radio show stereotype voices, and he lucked into making millions of dollars a year from that.

Well back in the old days they thought carefully about how Homer's social life was depicted. Moe's was a working-class dive bar run by a surly, antisocial gremlin, no-one would want to spend a lot of time there, but Homer was a regular there because Barney spent all his time there, and Barney was Homer's best friend since high school. Lenny and Carl; being Homer's work friends, had no reason to go to Moe's so they never went there. But since zombie simpsons set in they've collapsed Homer's circle of friends into the same four people who have known each other since they were little kids apparently (as in that Stand By Me parody episode).

>The Malcontent
>Sits in my preferred spot throughout grade school
>Is this you?
I feel attacked

Meanwhile, poor Marge doesn't seem to really have much of a circle of friends.

They took a gag about Carl's name (the fact that Carl Carlson fits the Icelandic naming convention) that would have been a throwaway joke in a classic Simpson's episode and stretched it out into a whole episode just so they could do another rehashed "The Simpsons go to X" plot and squeeze in a Sigur Ros cameo.

Yeah, but she was just a Lisa Kudrow guest spot, so she was out of there.

I hate zombie Simpsons.

Is that country singer who had a crush on Homer going to be alright?

It's already been said itt but they really should bring back Ruth Powers more often.

Attached: Los-vecinos-que-han-tenido-los-Simpsons-4.jpg (650x480, 80K)

Richard = white
Lewis = black

It's fucking baffling how he acts like he has no interest un girls, older girls when he had a crush con Ruth Powers' daughter. Do the people who works on the show have not watched the first seasons?

I'm guessing Castanella just really likes doing that vocie

Do Patty and Selma and Marge's mother ever show up any more?

They retconned her to be Charmers daughter to

Patty and selma had speaking roles in last nights new episode.

Whatever happened to Marge's father anyway?

Who knows, Shear is insane

Did Lewis have a surame before? I find it so weird they gave Chamers a first name in like season 26

What ever happened to Wendal?

Died sometime before the kids were born I think, we only ever saw him in flash backs

That names reporter that's not Kent Brockman

You mean the one guy with glasses and a green cap but there was another background character in the bar?

that's because Racism>Feminism, so when you care, you about the man first

Arnie Pie in the Sky?

I talking about that generic blue suit reporter but ya, Arnie Pie is a relic character to

Scott Christian, guy with the round haircut, serious voice.

Yes, didn't know he even had a name

The overbearing dance instructor
He's an okay character. Kind of has comic book guys snark
Not sure if I care for him being recurrinh

Weird how some one time characters (usually celebrity cameos) get entire episodes dedicated to them but the likes of Janey, Sherri and Terri haven't had much focus. Then there are characters like Eddie, Lou, Sea Captain, Lunchlady Doris, Hoover, Largo, Luigi and etc. that get plenty of "prominent" cameos but still no big plots.

>tfw will never be kept in Patty and Selma's sex dungeon

Attached: Patty and Selma.png (512x384, 578K)

Wasn't he a flight steward? Marge developed a phobia of flight after finding out as a young girl.

Most of those characters don't really have personalities outside of Hoover and Largo

>I can't see through METAL kent!

That is correct. Harry didn't like doing the voice and Matt Groening also admitted that the character wasn't particularly funny or likable.

Underrated post

It's so weird, it's almost as if Hutz was setting/pitching Gil as his replacement. Hartman's death was an accident, wasn't it?

Attached: 1038453.jpg (640x480, 39K)

They phased out Marge's mother early on because she was a boring character and Julie Kavner didn't like doing the voice.

He was murdered by his heroine addict wife and her dealer Andy Dick

She was meant to die in 'Round Springfield

It's frankly sort of impressive how, despite the show having over 600 episodes, they pretty much never have episodes focused on any (non-Simpson) student who isn't Milhouse or Nelson. They had a few Ralph ones ages ago, but that's about it and he's since been reduced to the level of Martin where he's acknowledged, but rarely does anything worthwhile. Any time they need Bart or Lisa to interact with a classmate, they typically create a new student (voiced by a fotm celebrity) who is never seen again.

Sherri and Terri will never get their due.

They use them more in the comic books.

The Happy Little Elves.

Zombie Simpsons episodes are just vehicles for celebrity guest spots.

>Sherri and Terri will never get their due.
Speaking of forgotten characters, didn't it turn out that Sherri and Terri are actually part of a set of triplets and have another sister?

same

Honestly Lisa was victim of her own success. Moaning Lisa and Lisa's Substitute are two earliest epizodes and most celebreted one. I have feeling they tried to outdone them since them and never catch the magic again. At the end she suffered from not having Bart circle of reappearing characters (Milhous, Nelson. Skinner, Edna, Comicbook guy, Krusty etc)

Sherri and Terri were supposed to be Bart's recurring bullies but Nelson quickly assumed that role. They usually get 1-2 speaking lines a season to justify Russi Taylor's paycheck.

>They usually get 1-2 speaking lines a season to justify Russi Taylor's paycheck.
worth it

Attached: do the bartman.gif (250x188, 435K)

Bart's class was always much more developed than Lisa's which has no important characters other than Ralph.

They didn't know what to do with them. They are sometimes antagonistic to Lisa, sometimes her friend, sometimes in her class

Why don't Liz play the Sax no mo' tho?

Attached: 758840.jpg (640x480, 17K)

The Homer's Odyssey DVD commentary pretty much explained what the deal with S&T was.

Was Ralph always in Lisa's class? I feel like only remember him being in it from the I Choo-choo choose you episode

Being "the smart one" is a time bomb of characterization. Any character like this given enough time will turn into smarmy mouthpiece.

>Was Ralph always in Lisa's class?
Yes.

>Ruth Powers more often.

Her daughter was never mentioned again

Died a long time ago apparently.

Sneed and feed?

Lenny and Carl have been regulars in the bar since at least S4. That’s when they retconned Moe into a incel loser instead of a sleazy bartender

>Sherri and Terri will never get their due.

The twins were used a lot in the first 2-3 seasons. S4 onwards they started to push them into the background

>Who's the most RECENT Simpsons character?

I stopped watching around the time Yes Guy was introduced and started appearing a lot.

Attached: Yes Guy.png (1280x720, 926K)

The Simpsons should do a 4 parter episode called "crisis on infinite Springfields" where some shit happens and now all the charcaters are the age they should be in real time.

Her dad was in the military, Ruth left him because she felt underappreciated. Allison?'s choice of clothes through the ordeal was a military jacket, enough said.
Plus guest star and all that. Other than mj's impersonator no guest star has made a return appearance -well, Kelsey Grammer but he might as well be part of the main ensemble like Hartman was. David Pierce, I guess but he comes with Sideshow Bob-

Milhouse’s girlfriend who got sent into boarding school has been forgotten as well

>Ruth left him because she felt underappreciated.

I remember this from “Marge on the Lam” (s5) which was a Thelma & Louise parody. Laura Powers hasn’t had a role since her debut in S4

The whole show is missed opportunity after season ten. The characters should have aged. Bart should be dad by know. Lisa should be a lesbian women's studies professor. Homer and Marge should be retired. There should be grandkids

Simpspin has done a great Simpsons spinoff series set in the future. You ought to check it out.

>Best Seat in the House
>not second from the back by the window
Shit chart.

according to western media it is

Attached: Simpsons_24_14_P2_640x360_279852099731.jpg (640x360, 200K)

S-word?

Attached: it alright.jpg (231x244, 18K)

He's not even an original character. He's an homage to Frank Nelson from the Jack Benny show.
youtube.com/watch?v=5M_2ZXWs55g

Snood

Attached: DA3EE491-32CC-4C10-AA66-E781EC4849BF.png (1075x808, 931K)

Chief Wiggum's not an original character, either. There was a whole episode about this!

Fuck this character.

yeah, fuck her good

>Plus guest star and all that. Other than mj's impersonator no guest star has made a return appearance -well, Kelsey Grammer but he might as well be part of the main ensemble like Hartman was. David Pierce, I guess but he comes with Sideshow Bob-
>Grammer, Mantegna, Maurice LaMarche and Frank Welker have appeared twenty times or more; Jon Lovitz has appeared over ten times, while Albert Brooks, Glenn Close, Michael Dees, Dana Gould, Terry W. Greene, Valerie Harper, Jan Hooks, Jane Kaczmarek, Stacy Keach, Kipp Lennon, Jackie Mason, Sally Stevens, George Takei and Michael York have made over five appearances.

Yeah, I wouldn't call being murdered in your sleep by your drug addicted wife as an accident. It's a shame there will never be that live action Troy McClure move.

Now he doesn't even appear.

Yes, but I think he was in Bart clase in some episode.

And fuck Zooey lylsoquirky Deschanel.

He's about as original as like half of the Simpsons cast

This shit is hilarious

She cameo'd in the episode where Marge got /fit/.

Attached: swole marge.png (487x365, 181K)

I think they're called Sam and Larry.

The best part is that they're not even supposed to be the Sneed or Chuck in question, 'Chuck Sneed' is supposed to be the name of the old man inside the store. The script only calls them Farmer #1 and #2.

Sneedposters can't even get their own meme right.

Attached: ChuckSneed.png (512x384, 281K)

Underrated