Sentry

Somebody break Sentry down for me, is he a hero pretending to be a villain, or a villain pretending to be a hero?

Attached: 4e8844d56aabf68c66a8bfd326ca5869.jpg (235x362, 36K)

He's a broken man trying to be a hero, but everytime he does try and be a hero his dickhead of an evil doppelganger comes in and ruins it for everyone.

he's basically Naruto minus the friendship and homoerotic tendencies.

Sentry was a character created by Oaul Jenkins that he shoehorned in the middle of the Marvel Universe. One day, he didn't exist. In the next, he was the best friend of the F4, the man that made Tony Stark get over his alcoholism, the hero that insoired Spider-Man, the man that Rogue loved more than Gambit, the hero that actually defeated Galactus when he tried to eat Earth, etc.

What he was depended purely on the mood of the writer. Sometimes, everyone would suck his cock like it was lolipop. Others, everyone would be afraid of him because he was mentally ill (at this point, nearly all Marvel heroes are mentally ill).

Oldet Marvel fans resented the character for not making any sense and literally stealing important moments from other characters to himself. Some newer fans liked the character because he was "Superman BUT VIOLENT THUS BETTER" and were willing to turn a blind side to his poorly written stories.

Yea Forums is a place of youngsters. Tgere are anons here that weren't even born before Sentry was created. They don't know any better, so they believe that all that inconsistency, shitty writing and edgyness makes the character a masterpiece. Don't let them fool you.

I really like the resolution of this series and where they left the character. I really hope a decent writer picks up on it.

If I could dream, I’d have him join the Guardians.

Or he becomes Stardust.

He's what happens when a reality warper develops schizophrenia and/or multiple personality disorders. The result is that nobody knows anymore because Sentry believing himself to be an hero literally retcon reality to make him the greatest hero ever while him having a bad day at work and having intrusive thoughts about murdering all of his co-workers manifest as the void who actually kill all of his co-workers. When reality change to accommodate the mind of a mentally hill man things stop making sense fast.

Silver Age Superman but Crayzahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He once doomed several universes by infecting them with a zombie plague that eventually spread and ended with almost all life in them. And in the dumbest way possible too since he willingly let the Hulk bite him. He's just an asshole who pretends he is good.

I’m a fan of the “dude woke up and found out he had reality warping powers so he retconed himself to be a super important hero who everyone loves, also making a villain so strong only he can beat it” take on the characters

Attached: realsentry.jpg (600x938, 167K)

Is this Muh Phenix or Illuminated?

So I just read every Sentry book to answer this, and now I have questions.

Does Sentry 2018 just ignore Age of the Sentry entirely? Cause in Age of the Sentry Cranio discovered he didn't even have a backstory, he wasn't a person, Sentry was some sort of reality warper and the Serum didn't literally give him powers, it just contained the power to contain Sentry's force from another universe as it came to theirs. But then Sentry 2018 ignores all this, Cranio is just some guy, the serum is literally a superpower serum, etc. Are we just to assume Age of the Sentry is full of mistakes because of Reed?

Honestly, Sentry's original Appearance and Age of the Sentry go great together, but his other appearances just boil him down to SUPERMAN BUT VIOLENT and "He was there the whole time!" like says. Even the original Sentry comic is kinda like that, but I feel like its necessary for Age of the Sentry to work properly. Otherwise they shoulda just left the character at that.

But now he's literally black and red superman but violent instead of just an interesting thought experiment. Thanks, House of Ideas.

it’s not Muh Phoenix that I know for sure so maybe Illuminated?

it's from Mightygodking.
His Civil War parody was really good

I don’t get the Superman comparison. Isn’t he just a drunken slightly overweight average dude who managed to be one of the most powerful beings in Marvel Verse? The whole point was nobody was going to suspect someone like that to be Sentry. Robert also got his powers through experiment as opposed to being an alien from another planet and having innate powers. The only thing he and Superman have in common is they both get powered by the sun.

Hyperion is way closer to being Marvel’s Superman both in origin and power set unlike Sentry who is only the latter.

Oh fuck, I don't need your civil war was funny as hell, I didn't know he did something else.

he is the worst of both

I've had the tab for this thread open for hours, but somehow missed this post.

Hyperion IS more similar to Superman, but then that's because he's supposed to be a straight-up expy of Superman, created as part of an expy Justice League, that were created because someone wanted to make a cross-over with the Avengers and the Justice League, but couldn't manage the cross-company complications, so they made a substitute to use instead.

The basic idea of the Sentry is that he's a Silver-Age-Superman-esque character that was retconned into Marvel's history, but forgotten. He has the flying brick powerset, he's got the cape, the big S and he contrasts with Marvel's regular superheroes by being way more powerful than them and more of an all-good good guy, rather than the sort of flawed, slightly neurotic sort of characters that used to define the differences between Marvel & DC.
They probably gave him the experiment origin rather than the alien one, because it's still pretty Silver-Age, without being too similar to Superman. They probably wanted him to be like Superman without being a total rip-off of him.

I've always thought Void was a really ancient symbiote for some reason. The relationship between Bob and Void kind of reminds me of Eddie and Venom a little.

The fuck he isn't.

That wasn't main continuity Sentry.

He is more like Miracleman.

Fun fact: Age of Sentry' Sentry reappeared in Ewing's Contest of Champions and he was also schizophrenic.

It's a character pretending to be Miracleman from a writer pretending to be Alan Moore.

This is good.

I'm capping this.

This is good too.

>106463196
no (you)s for you retard

samefag

samefag

No I'm the guy who wrote & but not

Attached: 1484330548343.png (666x500, 655K)

pretty on the ball

Attached: hooray.jpg (169x224, 16K)

What's the name of that pseudo Silver-Age series they made of the Sentry? I heard that was good

Age of Sentry

He’s (at his best) a schizophrenic omnipotent man who’s heroic persona is eclipsed by the satanic love craft monstrosity the Void that takes everything good he’s ever done and destroys it. He’s golden age Superman but he’s also the most horrific monster Vertigo ever cooked up. He’s usually just shit tho

Age of the Sentry, its hands down the best sentry book, I'd say the only one that matters but it is best read after the original series.

I thought AOS isn't in 616

>Otherwise they shoulda just left the character at that.
I think part of his increased presence comes from Bendis, who said he thought it was a pity that good new characters like the Hood, Echo, Sentry etc. were created then forgotten because nobody used them, so he wanted to prevent them from drifting into obscurity

It isn't.

He's a crappy character who's clever gimmick of making himself forgotten doesn't work outside of his original mini.

He's a Molecule Man cube being pretending to be a flying brick.

I never really liked Marvel's 00 era push for a superman-like flying brick to be the main in-universe character. They made Sentry, Blue Marvel, and then brought Hyperion back, gave him a 616 origin and used him a lot too.

what was with the constant making superman clones and sticking them on Avengers around 03'-08'?

There's no main universe Hyperion as far as I know.

Joe Quesada was the Editor-in-Chief of Marvel at that time. He was the one who pushed the idea that Marvel needed a Superman clone. he was also one of the planners, with Jenkins, of the of the joke / scam regarding the lost origins of Sentry.

It was still sentry outright.

retards

Not 616 Sentry still and he didn't let himself be bitten on purpose.

I liked the artstyle in his debut run.

Attached: marvel's the sentry.jpg (243x208, 8K)