The marketing is really misleading on this. It's still shit...

The marketing is really misleading on this. It's still shit, but it's not a wacky animal slapstick comedy other than a few scenes. The whole story is a melodramatic and dour allegory for the kid struggling to cope with her mother having cancer. It's all in her imagination.

Attached: wonderpark_810x342.jpg (810x342, 319K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uiN_-AEhTpk
youtu.be/7y1xJAVZxXg
youtu.be/GrwOLITIe7U
youtu.be/tr8qI2G-tb8
youtu.be/U0xZZXrReWE
imdb.com/name/nm0270763/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>that spoiler

Really? And they expect to launch a TV franchise from that??

Did I hear the C word?
OSCARS GET IN HERE WE GOT A BEST PICTURE WINNER

the movie turns into a wacky slapstick comedy towards the end after the kid cries and learns to cope, so it just becomes goofy "lets rebuild the rides!" shit like the ads show. Then the mom returns home, fully cured like nothing ever happened, and now the park can just exist as a happy place for 11-minute TV comedy adventures I guess. Still, a weird fucking way to launch a kids franchise.

What happens before that?

>weird movie made by Nickelodeon

I see nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh, now it get the shit reviews.

I’m reminded of Barnyard.
Remember the whole deal with Otis’s dad dying?
And remember the kid Otis has at the end that he names after his dead dad?
Back at the Barnyard be like “WHAT dead dad?”

i thought you were kidding until i read its wikipedia page. this is ridiculous

>director has been accused on more than one occasion of sexual misconduct
>the beaver is voiced by a vlogger/youtuber
>paramount animation has already announced that a tv series based on the film will debut in 2019 in spite of the film's shit ratings and critical response

god help us

Holy shit that sounds insulting.

Which beaver?

The worst part is, though, is that they wasted based John Oliver

Here's a recap I quickly wrote.

June, the main girl, and her Mom create this fictional theme park called Wonder Land (they never say Wonder Park in the movie), with her stuffed animals as the mascots. It's a bunch of drawings at first. Then June attempts to build the park for real and destroys a bunch of neighborhood property. This plotline is weirdly kind of forgotten, because then there's a montage of her and her mom building models of WonderLand all over the house, but towards the end of the montage her mom "falls ill" (random vomiting, being given a bad diagnosis, drawn face, going away for treatment all make it clear this is cancer, but the movie never says anything beyond "she's sick") June puts all the models away, has a meltdown where she burns her drawings, and just stops being happy. Her dad decides to send her to camp so she can be with other kids, but she sneaks away into the woods. After this longass setup that I imagine will bore kids, June "finds" WonderLand, but it's abandoned and in disrepair because of a "darkness" that is a literal dark cloud over the park. Also it's been taken over by "chimpanzombies" so they have an excuse to do chase scenes. There's a very long chase scene. Some exposition about how to fix the park. Another long chase scene, with a wildly misplaced aside in the middle where June talks about not hearing her mom's voice anymore. June realizes she "caused the darkness" and cries. Then she decides to rebuild the park. This is where the goofy animal antics in all the ads actually happen. There's a forced climax where she defeats the darkness by building a new ride. Then her mom comes back from treatment fully cured for a perfect happy ending, like nothing happened.

How long into the movie does it take for her to cry?

>it's basically I Kill Giants but incredibly shitty
Didn't expect that, honestly.

Attached: 1530764198917.jpg (184x184, 5K)

>(they never say Wonder Park in the movie)
I heard the movie was originally gonna be called Amusement Park but I guess Nick changed the name to disassociate themselves with the original director.

Attached: 1397858207280.jpg (613x533, 15K)

Attached: 1A34B0CE-68D9-4B89-921E-321D61B25D4E.png (1136x640, 1.02M)

I was gonna say there's some potential in the story somewhere but no matter what it just turns into a weaker take on I Kill Giants.

So its A Monster Calls if it was written by pussies

Name a more fitting review headline

Attached: 68B5A721-1E9F-4F57-9B9D-05C9236138FE.png (640x1136, 471K)

Jesus Christ, just reading this makes me feel more uneasy and bored than when I first watched shark boy and lava girl.

This is just a bad trip. Like fucking Rockadoodle levels of a bad trip.

Attached: 1496450414557.png (270x257, 92K)

So the chimpanzombies are suppose to be the cancer cells?

Tom Baker voices the Bear in the UK

Attached: C80204A3-3333-47D7-94BD-ED9D9C3F158A.jpg (400x293, 48K)

They exist so the marketing can pretend they’re the actual villains and not depression

That's literally the worst plot I ever heard in an animated movie.

That sounds like absolute garbage. Not that I really care, I literally just heard of this film, so I had no expectations, but really, fuck studios that advertise movies as something completely different to sell tickets. I'm still sore from Downsizing.

Attached: garfielf.png (400x400, 195K)

>I'm still sore from Downsizing.
What was with that movie?

>Wonder Whatever and Muh Asian Cripple GF Also I’m Small were both made by Paramount

Attached: 2A1CB0EC-EC87-4A7A-8D94-BB57A5B22EC9.gif (350x200, 434K)

I heard on Twitter that due to the controversy regarding the film's director, the movie simply drops the directorial credit and gives it to nobody, not even a pseudonymous character.

So I Kill Giants?

Become as Gods

Advertised as a wacky "small people in a big world" movie, in reality was split between a paper-thin amount of that, combined with a whole bunch of scattered dramatic plot elements, poorly written romance, and preachy social commentary that somehow at the same time, couldn't seem to decide what it wanted to say.
Fuck, I didn't even notice that.

Attached: 200% MAD.jpg (500x738, 39K)

That's so much worse. It sounds like a placeholder name.

Nope, never say what it is.
Basically plotitis.

Bump
Fuck this movie

>Amusement park rides magically appear in a forest
They're idiots for not calling it RollerCoaster Tycoon. Yes, I know that user's plot leak has nothing to do with a tycoon, but we've seen videogame movies stray even further from the original game's premise/plot.

Bump
Still fuck this movie

That sounds horrible.

They should have put Alan Smithee on it.

what
the
ass

I'm looking forward to the animation critics review of this.

This could actually work if they fleshed it out alot more beyond just making it a typical wacky adventure in imagination land. At least they spend a chunk of the beginning showing that the girl and her mom's relationship and showing her struggle with her mom's condition. Like I haven't watched the movie, but it sounds like an idea that COULD be good, if they gave it more thought and not let it devolve into another talking animals kids film.

Can't do that anymore, legally

Yep, Nick still hasn’t recovered after Sanjay and Craig was a thing.

This is gonna be an obscure cult classic in 10 years, mark my words.

Its almost like you could say they had no direction? Heh.

Attached: 1494730832349.gif (220x212, 2.57M)

Now see, if they pulled an Inception and left it vague if the kid's just living in her own head to avoid reality, I'd respect that premise.

God it sounds like this was being written by a guy who wanted the film to be a grounded drama with a realistic modern real life setting but when June reaches the park he gets replaced with an entirely new writer
And the new writer was told to keep the stuff that was already written the same but to make the rest of the film a marketable and generic super happy fantasy kids film

Stone cold

Nah I think they're just trying and failing to copy movies like Inside Out and My Neighbor Totoro, movies which do the whole fantasy/reality contrast well.

I’m guessing there were a lot of disappointed kids.

Attached: BF9128E6-CFB6-41E2-A363-2B5C80727A6B.png (640x1136, 155K)

Speaking of, does anyone know if the I Kill Giants movie was any good?

why even care about the writing when it looks like shit anyway

Also
>Only 49 user reviews
I went on the browser version of RT to double check.
This is gonna tank, isn't it?

Attached: screenshot-www.rottentomatoes.com-2019.03.16-09-38-02.jpg (754x333, 64K)

What the actual fuck?

Attached: 632A37B6-A798-41CF-A196-AAFEEC7E8042.jpg (1569x815, 149K)

It’s not gonna get a continuation/sequel just like Alita

Attached: 42A27329-B189-4FED-A81B-2837F9DDE660.png (676x538, 305K)

What the hell is it with having a little girl for stronger drama?

Nick is already making a TV show to air later this year.

It's just like Back at the Barnyard, starting a series out of an animated movie featuring parental issues not mentioned in the advertising.

It sounds like a tumblr girl made a movie.

good because Alita gets so fucking stupid
>hurdur KARMA KARMA KARMA BOY THIS PUDDING IS GOOD KARMA KARMA OH NO ALITA GOT TORN UP AGAIN I HOPE NOBODY IS JERKING TO THIS AAAAAAAND SHE'S DEAD FOR REAL

>based

youtu.be/uiN_-AEhTpk

I think that's more or less what happened. The original director got fired for being a sexual abuser and the suits brought the creator of Cow and Chicken in to finish the film at the last minute.

It's not a legal issue. It was the de facto name used by the Director's Guild of America because it was innocuous enough to go unnoticed by the public but visible enough that it would be known to those who knew what the name meant. "Burn Hollywood Burn" brought too much unneeded attention to the pseudonym, so the DGA simply dropped the name. It's not a legal issue.

>and it turns out her mother was never cured and she actually died and that whole thing was in her mind as well

Attached: what a tweest.jpg (300x390, 16K)

Don't you dare make fun of flan.

Attached: nova flan chef.jpg (227x222, 13K)

I want this to be right because it makes more sense, but the movie creates a very clear division that what happens in Wonder Land is her imagination and everything else is reality. The scene of the mother returning is set at home.

Retard

>the movie is the best part guys, trust holywood, not the source of those filthy dumb japs. We improved it!

Pathetic

How about this?
youtu.be/7y1xJAVZxXg
youtu.be/GrwOLITIe7U

>Burn Hollywood Burn
What did he mean by this

Are you for real? Literally the only thing that interested me about this movie was the hot mom, and you're saying she dies?

Even worse. She ends up getting cured and comes back like nothing happened.

Remember how Paramount marketed Sponge Out of Water to make it seemed like the whole movie was Spongebob’s adventure in the real world, only for it to take place in the last third of the film?

Misleading promos might just be Paramount’s main shtick.

"An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn" is a film about a director named Alan Smithee who, dissatisfied with a film he makes, seeks to have his name removed from the project. However, the name that replaces his would be his own name: Alan Smithee. Ironically, the film itself would be subjected to the "Alan Smithee" treatment, with its director successfully lobbying to have his name removed and replaced with the pseudonym.

The film was not a critical nor commercial success, but it was prominent enough to bring attention to the pseudonym to the point that it became a household name of sorts, which the DGA was trying to avoid. They dropped the name and instead began using alternative pseudonyms for every project instead.

What are the other pseudonyms they use now?

According to Wikipedia, it's been a mixture of "Alan Smithee" (likely out of tribute to the original usage) and various other pseudonyms, such as "Declan Dale" or "Thomas Lee", ever since the DGA officially dropped the pseudonym in 2000.

I personally liked it. It left out one of my favorite bits though, but overall they made the movie work well I thought

Attached: screenshot-www.boxofficemojo.com-2019.03.16-13-19-41.jpg (864x186, 38K)

no it doesn't

>little girl goes through a crisis and delves into her mind to escape
>this is blended in with happy wacky shit
its every tumblr fanfiction

I've read it you ninny.
The story turns to crap after the fight with Berserker Zapan and don't even get me started on last order, but we both know they won't get that far. That's karma for you.

I believe it's a legitimate complaint that too many reviews these days are just based around how to put down the product in the most memorably snarky way possible.

That being said, that's an excellent headline.

It's called being pretentious in a field that lacks effort and the articles are usually written by women who live to snark.

Bump

bump

It’s only being distributed in two cinemas here in Puerto Rico. The biggest movie chain apparently decided to pass on it

It seems critics are allowed to crush this one

What was it’s budget again?

100 million.

It went up a little

Attached: DF6C0BEF-531F-419B-856C-358DAE7070A5.png (640x1136, 95K)

>It's only made 5,350,000 as of now
Can this dethrone Doogal or Delgo Yea Forums?

Attached: 1552486628036.jpg (815x582, 171K)

Delgo didn't even crack 1 million.

Not even close.
But it’ll probably have a big second weekend drop off

I'm still fucking salty about that.

Bump

you god damn autist

Just want to keep the discussion about how bad this movie is going

What a valuable contribution.

If I wanted to watch an hour and a half animated movie involving an cute American girl, I’d just watch Farewell to Nostradamus.

Which I will, because I can watch it for free on YouTube.
youtu.be/tr8qI2G-tb8

45:52

isnt this that movie with the brainwashing in it that i tried to tell my mom about over thanksgiving dinner 7 years ago and i accidentally said the little girl being hypnotized was hot and we never ate at that table again because it was the 7 of hearts

So is this

Reminder that the series will be much better than the movie, like Barnyard and Jimmy Neutron before it.

Makes me wonder how their gonna advertise the Sonic movie.

Wasn't David Feiss supposed to be working on this movie?

Helps that Joe Kelly wrote the script for the movie.

The guy Sonic is with being a beta male and about to lose his wife because he works too much and isnt there for her and his daughter. Sonic runs him to her talent show at the last second as the curtains open.

That could have been a rumor that became fact.

Sounds like when a movie gets sent through so many changes because "TOO DARK FOR CHILDREN".

I'll break a NDA here. In the first version of the movie, before it was pushed back to a year after, they almost finished when the mother died. Then after poor receptions of the mother's death, they decided to change the whole ending and push the movie a year later.

So it is a lazy version of pic related?

Attached: 6448FF28-7064-46EC-AEFC-D0BD607D672C.jpg (450x450, 53K)

>Delgo
>Budget: 40 million
>Box office: $694,782(official) $915,840(speculated)

you have no idea how low it has to shoot

I'll admit I'm surprised, but not necessarily in a good way

Attached: tumblr_pdkx7gjjmT1w8mobyo8_400.gif (268x150, 1.13M)

The original ending would have been better honestly. A shame people forced it to change.

What a coincidence, I just watched this review today:
youtu.be/U0xZZXrReWE

>that time a Dr Who add called this guy “P Ness”
I miss 2016.

And Colossal was pretty much just I Kill Giants a year earlier.

desu that's what we thought too. But I guess kids didn't like that as much.

they need to expose kids to hard shit, we treat them to softly and it makes them suffer too much when they get older.

Attached: 71-YdpPCtRL.jpg (1684x2560, 231K)

>suits brought the creator of Cow and Chicken in to finish the film at the last minute.
This isn't even the first time he has done something like this, anyone remember than korean kid show?

A very lazy version yes.

I think you meant to say "for HER daughter."
You did say he was a beta male after all

>OW gross might be about $10M according to various estimates made this week

I wonder if the show is going to remember about the mom being sick, or just ignore it completely.

Remember Otis’s dead dad?

Yeah, pretty much that.

imdb.com/name/nm0270763/
I don't see Wonder Park on any of his credits.

>a sexual abuser
if all he did was flirt with women i swear to god

so you are saying that men need social justice?

>if all he did was flirt with women
who worked for him
>i swear to god

i dont know what you're trying to do im just tired of everything being exaggerated in cases where a guy flirted with a girl and it was suddenly harassment

>who worked for him
this suddenly means he's evil?

It’s like if UP ended with some magic shaman bringing Ellie back to life and they all having wacky adventures in South America.

Attached: 8EB67373-25AA-4A51-804E-4CE6430E78D3.jpg (500x331, 28K)

And apparently
> the Cow & Chicken creator finished the movie after the original director got fired

>the former Pixar animator’s behavior included touching and caressing female co-workers
What’s with Pixar people turning out to be pervs? They should rename themselves Dickxar.

>being metoo'd without proof is the same as being legally punished by the actual law because her tears tells more than any reality
yikes. Welcome to 2019. the end is near.

I can normally handle dark humor but no... just no. Sometimes things just aren't worth joking about. Please don't do this again.

All artists are pereverts. You know this.

Well, it made money, but expect it to drop quickly

Attached: C246E732-5891-444A-A415-2BF355ECD8F1.png (1136x640, 119K)

How is the dragon movie, is it just that awful chick comes between friends story?

Fucking savage

Attached: lex laugh.jpg (147x145, 13K)