Toxic Rick uses two microverse batteries to power his toxicity tower

>Toxic Rick uses two microverse batteries to power his toxicity tower
>they're both offhandedly shown to be dead in the post credits scene

>two entire universes just died and nobody cares
Does the casual nihilism ever just feel offputting? I don't mean in the "le high iq" meme way, I mean that all the dark cynicism just makes the show feel ugly and unappealing.

Attached: 42198b249ee1dfc74fbb2bf955575373.jpg (700x422, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_quotient
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tragedy is me cutting my finger, comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die.

Never noticed the batteries in this episode before, huh. No it doesnt ever feel offputting though.

Wow it’s almost like Toxic Rick was a cunt or something

the genuine moments of dark cynicism like that save the show from harmon-esque mediocrity

Toxic Rick is Rick, but even then what you said is an observation that doesn't really refute anything.

I think you're just a little bitch.

Why does Toxic Morty have toxic clothes but Toxic Rick doesn't?

watch the show

I never even noticed that. Cool.

You do know these are cartoon characters, right, OP? They're not real.

Why would anyone want to do that?

people who feel emotional about the "serious" episodes of R&M are on the same level as people who cried when Brain died on Family Guy. Why should I give a fuck about any of these scumbags and their shitty universe? Both series could end with everyone dying and I would be laughing my balls off.

Attached: 1515772157035.png (277x214, 25K)

All the ones who are nihilist in this show are shown to be total cunts.

I think that's the ultimate message.

Actually, I think I just placed it. What bugs me is that the writers really think the show has a heart to it and they expect us to sympathize with the characters to some extent, even if they frequently say "You're not supposed to like anyone in the show, that's the point". If this wasn't the case, then we wouldn't get so many moments of Rick being humanized, and they wouldn't even attempt Jurassic Bark sob scenes like Rick trying to kill himself, Trent Reznor's Hurt, etc.

The writers do want us to care about these assholes but not about the countless lives they ruin. It feels sort of creepy, but it also feels like they want to have their cake and eat it too.

If black comedy and edgy humor is really the peak of comedy, then they should have just had the balls to accept that this is not a show that you're meant to feel emotions from, and they should have just focused on being funny, instead. Pic related.

Pic related is every bit is dark as Rick and Morty, but it's so much more confident about it. It's meant to be funny, and it is. If only Hellbender's had the same pacing and characterization.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 97K)

Well time in a microverse moves exponentially slower than in the real world. As far as we know they experienced many many years and all died a natural death as their suns burned out and became exhausted. I mean you can't cry over every single plain of life forms being driven to extinction naturally or unnaturally. Dying is as much a part of life as living.

>Morty is better off without any of his toxicity
>put it back in him forcefully anyway because WUBALABA DUB DUB

>And yes by the way, I DO have an RIP Brian tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Actually, Family Guy and Rick and Morty are suffering from the same problems. Simultaneously taking themselves too seriously while not taking themselves seriously enough.

I guess that's why Rick and Morty gets compared to Family Guy more often than Futurama, despite having a closer setting to the latter.

My only problem is why did they have to force scenes in later seasons of morty’s dad being both “sexist and racist” to justify the show’s universe dislike of him? I feel there was better ways of handling it. Even family guy did it slightly better by not giving a sound reason for meg.

>the universe doesn't care about your life, let alone your feelings. Killing people to get what you want makes you smart
>Woah woah woah woah. Microagressions are a serious problem. Words hurt, stop triggering me

Attached: sweating-decision-meme.png (911x669, 198K)

The tattoo was real, right? I want to believe it was.

Exactly! Bender is a psychopath, but Fry isn't so it sort of works. In Family Guy, R&M, they want you to both laugh at how the characters torture other people, and then cry at their hardships. Compare Bojack or Moral Oral etc that embrace how fucked up everything is and leave your sympathies ambiguous.

Man, Family Guy's moral episodes fall so fucking flat. Especially when it's a "we care about you, Meg" moral. Like I have absolutely no faith that Peter cares if she lives or dies. Or that Peter is even a person who cares about anyone in his family or values any of their lives based on how we see him act.

You pity a lot of the Moral Oral cast because for the most part you can tell that they're shitty people, but also under immensely shitty circumstances. As much as they try to use "multiverse theory nothing matters lol" to try to excuse it away the show never ever really successfully humanizes Rick the same way. He comes off as a dick who uses whatever philosophy he can find to justify being a cosmic dick, so why do we care about their emotional hardships?

Honestly, I care more about Morty's feelings than Rick's. But for whatever reason they try to make Rick some sort of Moral center. They try to make Beth as cold and nihilistic as Rick and it just made her unlikable. They tried making Jerry even more of a beta and it just makes his episodes painful.
Honestly I think the best episode was the one where Jerry hired a Cold Stone guy to let Beth help a deer. She had to make a sacrifice of humility to save its life, and Jerry went through great lengths to help her fix the deer because he knew how much it meant to her. I want more shit like that.

Futurama is a rare middle ground between storydriven and humor driven. Conversely, Moral Orel is almost completely storydriven with less focus on humor, and it absolutely works for it. And yeah, seasons 1 and most of 2 were purely humor based, but they were supposed to serve as a the setup to later seasons we never got, ones with the same time as 3. God season 3 was a masterpiece.
The lack of continuity doesn't help, either. Why should we believe anyone is dead when they already died in a gag two scenes ago? I think what's most insulting is the fact that FG sincerely thinks it can possibly make a moral or intellectual statement.

Futurama did show the universe being destroyed like 3 times in one single episode.

>haha a little kid just shot his sister through the head and accidentally killed her
>Beth and Jerry are getting a divorce. Try not to cry too hard, but it's some serious stuff

>Beth and Jerry are getting a divorce. Try not to cry too hard, but it's some serious stuff
The show didn't took it seriously after all.

Are you talking about the forwards time machine? That traveled far into the future, after the universe collapsed on its own. It would be a lot different if the professor destroyed 3 universes, killed some kids and then an alien tries to graphically rape Fry in the bathroom

My problem is, why not just make R&M a madcap comedy? It's very funny when it tries to be, what's this obsession with adult cartoons trying to introduce "heart" into their story lines? Bushworld Adventures is the best "episode" because it clearly doesn't give a fuck.

Attached: RM.png (1279x713, 731K)

Fry got literally raped by amazons tho

That Toxic Rick is a clone of the original that died while fighting our Rick.

The Mad Max parody episode was all about how the divorce was affecting Summer and Morty, plus the end scene of Pickle Rick was supposed to have an ending that makes you pity them. But more importantly, just look at what the show prioritizes: Earth is taken over by the Galactic Federation, who have been alluded to as early as the pilot: resolved in one episode. Parents get divorce: central theme of the entire season.

Cured Morty ended up being a sociopath though.

Bush world is unironically a great episode, Rick being a completely senile old man acting childish all the time was pretty neat.

There's nothing wrong with dark cynicism.

When the show tries to be serious/dramatic in a really forced way is when I have a problem.

Good example of seriousness:
>S2E2 where Rick sacrifices himself to save Morty (it doesn't last but it's a nice moment)

Bad example of seriousness:
>those psychologist scenes in the Pickle Rick episode

How so? He clearly cared for that new red head and the people he was working with. Being a bland so likeable you're actually a douche dickhead isn't a sociopath.

He seemed alright to me
I agree, although the show did have a heart to it in season 1 that warranted taking itself seriously. That line in the last scene of the season 3 finale gives me a little hope but, honestly, the show just sort of wore out its welcome for me. "Big whoop", I know, but I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way.

Attached: giphy.gif (480x360, 341K)

>You pity a lot of the Moral Oral cast because for the most part you can tell that they're shitty people, but also under immensely shitty circumstances.
I guess that's why I still kind of feel for Jerry out of anyone on the show. He's a bad dad but also get screwed over for no apparent reason and really does try to make the best out of things without being blase about killing people.

There was only one scene in R&M that I found offputting and sad. It's the one where those two MKultra'd kids are shot to death. It's not the children dying part or the edginess that got me, but the morbid realization that in the light of everything we know about the ruling structures things like that are very likely to be actual reality.

As a whole R&M is just an okay show in my eyes, nothing special at all. But its humor and nihilism has turned sour incredibly fast, because we are at a point where we recognize these things as being pure poison for our culture and civilization, and we're trying to pull back.

I agree, R&M could still come back, esp with the multiverse premise. It's like they can hit a huge reset button any time they want. But I guess we'll see if that's what they actually do.

Honestly it really just made me miss newgrounds =(

Attached: EverythingbyEveryone.jpg (217x232, 13K)

Yes. It's why I never got into Rick and Morty, it just feels edgy for the sake of being edgy. You can't make a show where every character is either stupid, an asshole or a stupid asshole and expect me to be invested.

>My problem is, why not just make R&M a madcap comedy? It's very funny when it tries to be, what's this obsession with adult cartoons trying to introduce "heart" into their story lines?
I always felt that the first inter-dimensional cable episode specifically made fun of the heart-aspect

>Infinite time lines, infinite possibilities. Including a time line where Jerry's a movie star. Look, you guys are getting excited about the wrong aspect of this device. Look at this.
>Now who wants to watch random, crazy TV shows from different dimensions and then who wants to narcissistically obsess about their alternate self?
>Narcissism. The narcisstic stuff. I want to obsess about myself.

Rick and morty made the same mistake as south park by becoming story driven and each episode having to be connected to previous/next. It worked much better when it was self containted adventures with loose callbacks like in s1/s2.

Funny thing, in house of cosbys (where the whole clip show interdimensional cable thing came from), at the end of it they go "that sucked, lets never do that again".

The show sucks, just accept it and move on like I did.

I was sad when Dinobot died in Beast Wars.

Summer straight up cheated on her boyfriend and was absent from her dimension for several weeks, and next episode she is throwing a tantrum cause he broke up with her.
And fucking Morty blaming the guy for "breaking his sister's heart" despite being fully aware of it and turns him into a freak in post credit scene.
The whole cast can die a painful death and wouldn't feel bad for any of them. Plus minus Jerry.

They need to down down the gore budget

>s1/2
>more focus on jokes, many episodes with 0 deaths
>s3
>every single episode has a huge bloody fight sequence with a huge bodycount, no exceptions. Last episode of season is an even bigger fight sequence with no jokes.

to find out the answers to questions they have about the show.

What would you do if you found out that inside every cell of every living organism was an entire universe, and even the act of accidentally swallowing a fly resulted in the deaths of squillions of sentient sapient beings?

You swatting a fly would not affect the universe/s in said fly if it was truely the size of a cell.

since when was Jerry racist or sexist?

Low iq show

>post credits scene
what
WHAT
there were post credits scenes in the show???

Attached: 1510686240252.jpg (509x625, 31K)

He wasn't, they just shoveled it into season 3 because they got 3 feminist writers onboard and they were allowed to lead write episodes for some reason.

>for some reason.
Dan Harmon's creepiness
They only hired them so Dan could meet new women

The problem is that it clearly changed the whole writing process and what's okay/not okay to say. Like JR making fun of retards and then harmon shits out that his sister is a potato.

That shit does not fly with women (especially the feminist kind).

The whole asian doctor was a self insert talking down the smartest man in the show.

if you can't figure out how to achieve happiness you;re not actually smart
Rick is a low EQ retard incapable of fulfilling his own needs as a human that has built is whole worldview around justifying that fact by insisting its both impossible and pointless, when that is objectively not the case

Not sure why you're replying to me but either way I disagree.

Ricks whole thing is that the only time hes happy is hanging out with his family/morty because hes literally such a scifi god that he knows for a fact that by destroying planets/universes there is no cosmic karma/consequences. Thus he struggles with that fact and trying to find joy while at the same time being moments away from just nuking everything.

I don't know I mean it isn't real and the people writing it are doing coke and retarded faggots so who cares LOL

>if you can't figure out how to achieve happiness you;re not actually smart
Retard detected
>EQ
Excuse me, GIANT retard detected

We've known from S1 that Rick is a piece of shit who hates himself. The therapist didn't say anything we didn't already know, or even anything Rick didn't already know. It was a part written for Susan Sarandon because they like her and that's pretty justified because she's great. Also, it was the Pickle Rick episode, which was a purposefully hyper self-aware episode. The goal of the season was to be self-aware and focus inward instead of be le wacky space&time adventures.

Oh okay, they did that and it was total dogshit. We don't want that kind of thing spelled out for us, it being in the background and something you pick up on your own is how it should be.

At least you're paying attention.

pussy

Yeah pretty much every episode has one

Bushworld adventures was really funny but it wouldnt be funny at all if they pulled it twice

It's like Catdog in that it has nothing but unlikeable characters

he clearly didn't

Eh, I felt sorry for Morty most of the time and I often feel sympathetic for Jerry. Watching a 14 year old kid get mentally broken by the atrocities Rick surrounds him with every episode is sympathetic to me. Feeling sorry for Rick is fucking retarded though.

>what's this obsession with adult cartoons trying to introduce "heart" into their story lines?
It's dan harmons fault. Justin should kill him.

>people who feel emotional about the "serious" episodes of R&M
>Both series could end with everyone dying and I would be laughing my balls off
So basically feeling emotions about fiction is only ok when you do it.

>Does the casual nihilism ever just feel offputting?
>dark cynicism just makes the show feel ugly and unappealing.

That's the point, I think. They show a Universe full of amazing things to explore, but in the end everything's the same; every relevant character is driven by egoism and greed, personal power comes before anything else (thus the two universes consumed by Toxic Rick to power the machine) and nobody really cares because, in the end, everything's is way bigger than our individual perception and morals are irrelevant in an uncaring universe.

This is not what I personally believe, in case someone comes up with "wow edgy" or "tipfedora.jpg" shit; it's just what I understand the show is about.

thanks for the retcon

Imagine two toxic universe full with pain and insecurity, every sentient being hurting and abusing each other for feeding the fear and pain to the toxic generator given by toxic deceiving alien Rick, soley exists for generating more toxic energy. For toxic plan. By toxic god. T-that would be toxic

>EQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_quotient

spark-less cunt

/thread.
Morty, Summer and Jerry are fine but the show paints Rick way too sympathetic despite being essentially a sociopath and Beth is wasted potential that they shrugged of as "She's also a sociopath lol".

in the earlier episodes it worked since most of the cast were normal or at least the family treated eachother like actual family (aside from stewie having a beef with lois).

In the later seasons it just comes off as hypocrisy. Nothing managed to top quagmire's rant about brian in that therm though.
>i hate you brian, ur a shitty pretentions ass who creeps on lois
>but my multiple accounts of rape, spreading of STDs, trying to bang lois and the shitton of bastard children i made are ok cuz i'm honest about it

>beth trapped some random kid in a magical land and then murdered him
>this is played as a "good" thing and that shes off the hook
>literally killed an innocent man, felt nothing.

I think R&M was originally supposed to be a madcap comedy, but one of the producers felt Morty should be less of a whiny pushover. This led to the show becoming more serious, and the writer's ambitions to push boundaries eventually wound up writing the show into a corner

>Actually, Family Guy and Rick and Morty are suffering from the same problems. Simultaneously taking themselves too seriously while not taking themselves seriously enough.
That describes well why I don't really care for r&m