Why are displays of strong independent women always so controversial?

Why are displays of strong independent women always so controversial?

Attached: E115FA5C-A24C-41D0-B450-4D30A022CC45.jpg (750x1000, 113K)

Social media has given incels a voice and encouraged slacktivism(like downvoting Rotten Tomatoes because an actress said something you didn’t like band misinterpreted on purpose). Incels who believe these movies are anything more than flavor of the month capeshit.

We didn’t have this problem in the 80s with Ripley and Sara Connor

They aren't, Wonder Woman was not controversial, it also didn't market itself by attacking males.

Ghostbusters reboot and Captain Marvel on the other hand, did.

Black Widow never was. Wonder Woman was pretty well recieved and wasn't nearly as controversial.

The problem with her is that, unlike the majority of the MCU hero roster, she has no real failures under her belt to drive her character in any direction. If you think about it, half of what makes superhero movies work is watching the heroes respond to and bounce back from failure, and seeing how it informs their actions and character from there on out. She's basically being built up to be the MCU's superman when the best part of the Avengers is that they and the MCU around them never really had a superman. What's worse, her debut was decades ago by the time of Endgame, so they conveniently get to skip the years development that the other MCU heroes went through to become the veteran powerhouses that they are, making her the most experienced warrior on the team short of Thor, but is still more powerful than him regardless of that. She has no shortcomings to speak of, no hubris that hinders her, and no weakness to speak of. She has no real defining characteristics beyond being fierce, confident, and more suited to a given superhero task than everyone else in the MCU. They spent so much time and effort making her awesome that they forgot to make her interesting, but trying to point that out is just met with a cavalcade of idiots claiming you hate women, which just further fuels the distaste for her.

Basically, people don't give a shit that she's a girl; they're upset that she's the equivalent of a bad fanfiction OC thrust into a lore that was better off without the retroactive context that comes with her, only she's canon and you misogynerds better like her, or else! She might have been more palatable if her debut had waited until after Endgame, but now she's apparently an integral part of the conclusion to a story that isn't really hers.

tl;dr: the controversy is just a way to deflect the criticism of some questionable creative decisions about her.

Attached: 1436160585502.jpg (599x421, 21K)

>no hubris that hinders her
Nigger did we watch the same movie

Her hubris is arguably the thing that kick started the events in the first place

I’d argue they didn’t spend enough time making her look awesome. Most of the time she’s confused and trying to learn or learning something new, only towards the end she actually goes all out

You talk like reddit. Faggot.
Also the actresses who played ripley and sara connor are actually good at acting unlike that captain marvel bitch.

Attached: 1552532763518.png (640x378, 230K)

>Attacking males

They’re just words, nigga. Get over it. Find something else besides your most basic human traits(sex, race, eye color) to find pride in.

Attached: F27F4666-B78B-483A-9C95-BC584EFFBBB4.jpg (693x413, 68K)

Not really. In fact, she felt relatively passive the entire film

Thats not a woman, thats a white woman!
As soon as you give into these displays of power, they want something else or move the goalposts

>”We don’t hate this thing because bigoted reasons, we hate it because muh merit or whatever subjective reasons I can pull out of my ass.”

Can we dead this stupid ass way of arguing already?

Shove something down my throat enough times and I will hate it without ever seeing it. Push the feminist angle and I will hate it without ever seeing it.

Make a believable female lead and it will be accepted. Having Scarjo take down guys twice her size is a joke. Bucky destroying her is probably the best thing the Russo's did in that movie. My hate for Ms. Marvel is that you established characters for 10+ years just for her to come in and play a pivotal role in the final movie.

Once you provide a counterpoint, sure.

Because strong independent women aren't real. Women are weak, they cry, they bitch and moan. Even the successful ones got their positions through whoring or affirmative action.

Hmmmmm

Attached: 1520442195547.png (589x346, 13K)

So I can get sucked into an autistic argument? I know you can go all day but I got stuff to do. You people don’t argue, you just wear out your opponents stalmina and patience. No thanks.

>Shove something down my throat
That's your own perspective and indicative of your views on the subject matter, not of the media YOU CHOOSE to consume.

Because a handful of pathetic losers can't stop fucking crying over everything that doesn't star a white, straight, blond haired blue eyed cis man

Because claiming your movie is controversial because of bigotry is much easier than admitting that it just isn't very good.

Brie Larson is a racist, bigot, and a fascist. The movie would have been more successful if it had a different lead, even if they didn't change anything else.

This. We're one movie into her mythos and she already feels like she could use a Ragnarok or something to shake her status quo. Who knows? Maybe she'll be better in Endgame, but based on the promo material, I'm not getting my hopes up.

You kind of demonstrating his point

Attached: 1552326847897.png (1960x1194, 283K)

Your bait-fu is weak, grasshopper. No (you) today.

>WAAAAH SHE SAY WHITE MIDDLE AGED MEN SHOULDN'T DO ANYTHING
Also how the fuck could it be MORE successful it's literally one of the biggest movies of the year

Attached: 1552640016204.jpg (617x535, 91K)

Attached: 1546038190110.jpg (1408x5896, 1.32M)

At the start, her hubris resulted in her capture by the kree

They create false expectation in young girls.

Now not only do they chase extreme beauty standards, but they also chase extreme competency standards they can't meet. After which they proceed to enter fantasy land to blame it on the patriarchy.

All the while abandoning the best time in their life to have children and setting themselves up for a lifetime of regrets.

>kree
Skrulls. Although you can also argue that her choosing to pilot the plane is also a result of her hubris

They aren't. The problem is the right wing has funded tons of shitposters who gin up controversy over this nonsense in a pathetic attempt to be relevant.

Well, I'm sure you can read, cause you typed out such an articulate post. I assure you, if you read my post again, you will find the answer you seek. Fucking brainlet.

Yea Forums post 2016

none one cared about women leading movies before,now being a incel and keeping the circlejerk alive is the way to go

I'm in the sneed discord, and it's filled with virgin losers who post about hating their life everyday.

You're close, but that's just the surface narrative.

They're not and never were. Female ghostbusters were not controversial. Captain Marvel is not controversial.

Companies have figured out that people don't pay a ton of attention to advertising anymore and it's harder and harder to get people to watch uncurated or un-adblocked programming, so in order to "make buzz" you have to find a way to get people talking about you on social media. You have to be the "topic of the day"

One incredibly easy way to do this is by purposefully creating a false controversy and put a bullhorn in front of the most extreme possible opinions from both sides. 99.9% of people aren't on either of those sides, but through the magic of social media management (read: paying china and india to make something trend), it becomes the conversation on everyone's mind!

tl;dr everyone is sheep

Controversy is attention, attention is profit.
Parading your movie with a strong independent woman lead like it's a miracle and it's never been done before A) makes people think that the movie is special for some reason and therefore should be above criticism, and B) makes oblivious people get angry at feminists/feminism, which in turn gives the feminists ammo to talk about shit being "toxic", which in turn gives news outlets reasons to talk about the movie.

Also she's just kind of a boring character. That doesn't have anything to do with her gender, but when you plant a giant flag saying "THIS CHARACTER IS A FEMINIST ICON" and she's just a generic superhero with absolutely nothing notable about her it makes those flaws a lot more obvious.

I'd hate my life too if I constantly shoved a fuckton of hormones down my throat & could only find any possible future happiness in the thought of surgically mutilating my own dick.

They aren't. It was manufactured outrage.

Why is this board always flooded with shitty Yea Forums bait threads?

>threads like this keep getting pruned.

They're very sore losers

>incels
Reddit term.

this
logic and reason is so toxic and masculine and white ugh

Amd yet people keep telling me South Park is out of touch, yet all this is just that PC Principal episode all over again.

>strong independent
>get power handed to her with no struggle
>whole movie is her being a pissmop that is easily manipulated and incoherent until literally 5 seconds of "revelation" montage then she win because she's superwoman.
>this is a good character in 2019 somehow

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Shame Disney can't delete the negative reviews fast enough.

Attached: CM.jpg (765x324, 45K)

Welcome to capeshit, enjoy your slop. Now get invested in this """character""" because we're going to feature them prominently in every movie we make until the end of time.

Often disingenuous to the point of satire and then women wonder why it isn’t taken seriously

It's not. It's just a small percentage of weirdos who say dumb things (that they would never say in front of real people) in an echo chamber.

The vast majority of the audience has no real idea this is even a situation, but because we're further inside the fandom we get exposed to it.

In the end, it's a non-issue.

Why would they delete negative reviews if they're just buying their own tickets anyway? And why would they care if people don't have any other choice about what to watch in the theater since Disney is forcing every theater in the world to only play Captain Marvel?

They aren't. Brie Larson is just a condescending asshole who's trying to fuel the e-culture war for clout and couldn't take the fact that gay men and shitposters online were memeing about her having no ass compared to Tom Holland.

>reddit
incel term

Yeah, you're right.

Because they are all written as boring mary sues with 0 flaws, but because they are women are supposed to praise this shit show no matter how bad it is. There are actual good female characters but there are far in between as hollywood is allergic to writing females with flaws for PC reasons.

I don't give a single shit about Captain Marvel, but hating something for subjective reasons is fine. How do you know someone pulled it out of their ass?
This level of assuming is exactly why people hated the 2016 Ghostbusters more than they already did
>"They just hate it because they're women and not for any other reason!!"

>Muh logic and reasons
>Facts over feelings
>Statistics

Did I nail all the things you value, incel?

>Wonder Woman
>Alita
Strong, independent woman protagonists without any controversy. Also cute.

>Captain Marvel
>Ghosterbusters 2016
Cunty, boring, Mary Sue protagonists whose actresses say dumb politically charged shit outside of the movie. Controversy.

No one cares if your movie has a woman protagonist. People just don't like boring Mary Sues with an agenda.

Always remember who makes these threads

Attached: 1550002138312.jpg (1280x1067, 266K)

Action heroes in general aren't very interesting, it's just that guys like Stallone and Van Damme look good during the fight scenes.

Casting ScarJo or Daisy Ridley as action heroes results in a character that's both uninteresting and doesn't look remotely credible kicking anybody's ass.

"Why do you beat your wife so hard, Yea Forums?"

Jesus is this like practice or something,

I can't wait for this forced Alita shit to die already.

Seething Disney shill.

It was unironically better than Captain Marvel. Stay mad.

Because someone thought it was okay to give incels access to the internet when they should be beaten to death, or at least bullied until they commit suicide.

And helmed by a hispanic director no less,

>bullied until they commit suicide
Or shoot up 50 people at a mosque. Yeah, keep bullying us ;)

>anyone who disagrees with me is le shill
Both are absolute garbage. Fuck off back to Yea Forums.

Sounds like a great way to flirt with deadly infection.

SEETHING

Oh, it did happen with Ripley and Sara, but the incels had no way to voice their shitty opinion because you needed to have basic social skills to discuss anything back then.

Now, though? They have the internet, and they can be toxic behind an anonymous identity or an anime girl LARPing account.

So, it's spics who defend this trash. Should've known. Can't wait until your subhuman scum race is eradicated.
>more shitty Yea Forums memes
Figures.

>taking pride in the actions of other incels
Beating you to death does seem like the only logical option.

Attached: 3D9853EC-14DD-45E5-A78D-EEAD716C3E73.jpg (818x503, 163K)

Always remember

Attached: 1549986649207.jpg (2400x7000, 2.04M)

This is what happens when you get obsessed with anime.

And placing my boot on your head then blowing your brains out is even more logical.

>filename

>implying insecure incels like you have ANY strength and aren’t total whimpering pussies irl
>implying you won’t piss your pants and run once I show I also have and know how to use a gun
Forcibly dunking your head into toilet bowls and beating you in the gym clearly wasn’t enough.

I have a gun inches away from me. If I ever met you IRL, I'd blow your brains out without a second thought.

I'm not afraid to own guns and use it on subhumans like you.

CUNT PUNT

Attached: theres-only-one-captain.webm (1280x536, 1.42M)

>the mentally-ill socially-inept failure
>calling anyone else a subhuman
I could pry it from your bony twitchy hands and beat your skull into a pulp with it, insecure dork.
I knew I was too soft just taking lunch money with my gang from your kind. We were supposed to be doing the schools a favor by hanging you lot from lightposts, not just beating you up under the bleachers.

^Check it out guys, he resorted to arguing with himself, playing the parts of his own stawman and his own Chad-seld

Holy fucking shit discord is disgusting

All of your threats are useless. You are powerless compared to by Colt 45. If you were ever within 20 feet of me, you would be dead.

You're threatening someone who can and wants to blow your brains out. The only reason you're alive right now is because this conversation is taking place on the internet.

>I SAID INCEL I CAN'T LOSE I SAID INCEL INCEL INCELLLLLLLLLL INCEL
seething.

You wouldn’t be making any threats at all if all bullies unanimously agreed to kill failures before they finish high school and evolve into incels, but oh well.

Now, unlike you, I have a life that needs my attention. Go back to flirting with other boys in /r9k/, you spineless freak.

What's your address, pussy?

>Brie Larson is a racist, bigot, and a fascist

I mean.... so is Carol? So I dont see how this is a bad casting.

Attached: wes.gif (300x384, 1.17M)

Hollywood has comparatively little practice with them and so often overcompensates. So you usually end up with either a hostile jackass or a charisma-challenged Terminator.

Boys are too emotional to keep a cool head.

It’s not that she’s a woman and it’s not that the movie didn’t give her flaws. It’s that Carol is just dull as dishwater. She’s an easily deceived jock who always gets back up. She’s basically a shonen MC and stands out as lame among the rest of the MCU cast.

Captain Marvel was unironically better than the weebshit that was Alita. Fight me.

I think both shits are basic for an audience that doesn't think beyond their ass.

Carol’s film at least had a popcorn level plot and a character that didn’t look like a hideous cgi abomination.

Captain Marvel was about Thor 1 level, but that’s still wayyyy above Alita.

have sex.

Both films are shonenshit. One is just normie core while the other is weeb core. It’s like DB super vs Black Clover.

This. I don't get why mods don't ban such threads. I guess Yea Forums is truly cuckchan now.

Because it triggers insecure men.

There is only one controversy - escape criticism by using gender as scapegoat. It is three years old. If you think about it, it is more insulting for women than for men.

Because she's not strong and she's not independent. Her entire character arc was about how weak she is, and how she lacks any character whatsoever.

People are mad because when you point this out, the response is 'Incel' or 'Have Sex'. You can't have a discussion about Captain Marvel because there's really nothing to discuss about her besides the fact that there's really nothing to the character.

rave rex

Carol is a killer!

>Wonder Woman
>Strong, independent woman protagonists without any controversy. Also cute.
I should have capped the threads after WW came out.

And how does that impact her as a person?
It's end result is a positive, making her very powerful and gives her the ability to help people, so how will it stick with her?
It's basically making her flaw 'she's TOO good for her own good'

For most women leads, I would agree.
Not with Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel is just Stardust. She has exactly the power she needs to complete the problem and faces no real problems directly related to anything she's done on her own.
A character like that would be fun if it had some creativity, but it doesn't It's one of the most bland retellings of a golden age storyline ever.

user we have months dedicated to sex and race. We have entire movements dedicated to sex and race. People now market sex and race. And yet if dare to tell the people that participate in this horseshit that their sex and race aren't what define them you're labeled an intolerant monster.

Year's still early. Just wait till Godzilla comes out and styles all over it.

how can Carol's character be fixed in the comics/mcu?

It won't not with Aladdin so close to its release

Not him, but all along I thought they were going to introduce her after Endgame and have her origin story pick up at finding pieces of what will be left of Thanos' plans.
If it were after Endgame, the reveal would be a lot more acceptable. If she were just a generic fighter pilot on the leadup to Endgame, who then turned into someone in the right place at the right time, that would have been a much more smooth introduction.

My problem with CM is that it feels like it's two movies mashed into one. If one was about her discovering her powers and another about her getting revenge on the people who betrayed her, it would all make sense. However, I think the CM movie was really born from the need to make her ready for Endgame. When it really shouldn't have tried.

You Yea Forums fucks are pushing storytimes off the catalog

Considering how underwhelming the fan reaction was to the trailer and Disney's new practice of just rehashing old movies with live action I'd say Big G's odds are favorable.

Say that to some that get triggered by El Hairdoderidoo Trumpy.
Its less what dumb things he did but dumb things that are not related to politics.

It's because the movie is all about her being a strong independent woman like it's a new thing, and it's a mediocre movie. MCU has had women superheroes since Black Widow. Black Panther had great female characters. Also, Wonder Woman already happened, but Captain Marvel is like HEY BOYS, LOOK OUT, HERE'S THE FIRST GIRL EVER IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE AND SHE'S BETTER THAN ALL THE BOYS AT EVERYTHING, FUCK YOU YOU PROBLEMATIC BASTARDS. Captain Marvel is nothing new, it's preachy, it's bland, and it's self-important.

This. Live action capeshit should be banished from Yea Forums

I distinctly remember threads on here and Yea Forums that advocated boycotting the movie for promoting feminist agenda.

She’s not a strong character. She was completely boring.

Lazy trolling is still trolling.

Good goy. Eat everything that Hollywood gives you with a smile.