Multiverses/"ages"

>multiverses/"ages"
>dozens and dozens of relevant characters that all crossover and effect one another
>multiple comics running concurrently starring the same character/s
>reboots
>retcons
>sliding continuity

What the actual fuck? How am I supposed to read these things? I just wanted to read Batman in release order but it seems that list simply doesn't exist...

Attached: IMG_1056.jpg (351x500, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/chronology.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_of_the_Superheroes
zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff-act4-FF219.html
comicbookreadingorders.com/
comics.org/
comicvine.gamespot.com/batman/4005-1699/issues-cover/
comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=24328
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>that list simply doesn't exist...
You'll be able to read 1400 issues if Tec and Batman combined before that matters. Fuck off.

>things that always happened in comics are making me upset!

I'm willing to read a lot.
It should be obvious that i'm new to comics if i'm making these complaints.
The only thing i've found so far is the golden age omnibuses, but after that I don't know WHAT the fuck to read and in what order

Enjoy each run as it's own separate story

Otherwise you will be invested on shit like the plot of Magneto with his kids by decades just to Marvel to retcon it overnight making everything pointless.

Every single person says this, but I just want to read shit as it came out, i'd like to see the twists and turns in real time. I know early stuff can be stupid and goofy but I want that, I want to see how everything evolved.

It's bizzare to me that this list isn't a thing...

This is nature's way of telling you to read creator-owned comics instead of reading corporate-owned clusterfucks. You get a beginning, a middle and an end to the story, and you know that there's a straight line leading from issue #1 to #2 and then to #3, all the way down to #300 and so on.

And I do this, i've read a lot of manga but i've also read stuff like Sandman and Scott Pilgrim. I'm just interested in Batman. I really like the animated series and the 60's show.

Detective comics issue 27-1000 with the new 52 not numbered properly that's it. It isn't difficult.

Batman 1-800 or whatever he's on now. It's not difficult.

"The twists and turns shit" doesn't start until the 60s and was one of the selling points of Marvel and spider-man.

>likes Adam west
Love it.
This is actually useful. If you ever delve into the frank miller stories make sure you keep in mind that he's writing that batman as old and crotchety in everything but Year One.

Batman and Detective Comics ran concurrently though.

Thanks for the tip.

Sandman isn't creator-owned. DC uses him rarely as a courtesy, but after Gaiman dies Sandman will become a superhero and be the center of a line-wide mega-crossover event.

Fuck off, creator owned capeshit is all full of über faggotry and doesn't have a single iconic design across hundreds of titles.

>doesn't have a single iconic design
I've never read it, but Spawn.

>ran concurrently
They still do casual, don't try correcting someone when you're literally asking how to read a numbered series. None of what war mentioned in OP changes the fact that you read issue one and then issue two.

If this was a long game shitpost thread to get the the point that I tell you there is no real continuity for the first 20 years I've already done so above.

Read in order. It is NOT difficult.

You really shouldn't be looking at physical media if you're wanting to read everything. It's easy to pirate and I guarantee you're going to burn out before you hit 1955. If you wanna read Batman comics just google "best batman comics" or something and there'll be thousands of lists of graphic novels for you to check out.

Hellboy tho.

Barely capeshit but i do think I agree the design is maybe the one example that proves me wrong.

Like spawn it's barely capeshit. To say it's comparable to batman is flawed.

It's not comparable to Batman because it's better than Batman.

You sound really full of yourself. Calm down, you're not reinventing the wheel here.

Not trying to correct you, just stating the fact that in real life time, they ran at the same time. I'm not asking this because I want to understand some overarching continuity (in the beginning) but because I want to see how the writers and artists evolved batman month to month and year to year. If I just read detective comics then go back to batman then to world's finest it'll be jumping around between different styles.

I understand the idea but honestly i'm willing to take it slow if I begin to burn out. I have so many videogames/anime/movies/cartoons/whatever to consume that taking a break to refresh is just fine by me.

Not trying to, it's very simple. I want to read batman in release order. There is not really any resource I can find to help me with that, aside from the omnibus stuff. Even DC wiki doesn't really help me out here.

It always happened so, it's actually good!

>what do i do?
>so this
>but I don’t want to do that!!
Dude no offense, but fuck off.
It’s great that you want to get into comics. It’s great that you’re asking for advice. But stop ignoring the advice you’re getting.

The reason there’s not many lists about what order every Batman comic was published is because no one gives a shit about reading them like that.

Look at a comic. Look at the second page. It will have a publication date in it.

Boom, your problem is solved.

I should be more specific then, does anybody have a resource for Batman release order?

Sorry if you're frustrated, it's just that this is how pretty much ANYTHING ELSE works, you start at game 1, you start at movie 1, you start at book 1, you start at episode 1/show 1. It's how i'd like to approach this, maybe I'm the autist here, idk.

I found this. I think it should be good enough even though it's a little awkward.
mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/chronology.php

I suppose i'll have to do it manually like this. Thanks anyway guys.

Thanks, i'll look into that, looks pretty extensive. I did find a guy who did a comprehensive in universe chronology, but that wasn't quite what I was looking for. This might be.

You start at Detective comics 27. It really is that simple.

When you get to April 1940, go to Batman 1. Then check the publication date before reading the next issue of either.

SUPERHERO COMICS DO NOT TELL A SINGLE CONTINUOUS STORY.

THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO BE READ FROM THE BEGINNING.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU FUCKING MANGA FAGGOTS TO UNDERSTAND?

Threads like this are an unfortunate reminder that no matter how many search engines, websites and wikis exist, people who haven't already used them to get into capeshit are too stupid to use the resources at their disposal

Why are you so against taking suggestions?

Reading Batman like this is fucking pointless. Or, at the very least, it’s a stupid way to start a hobby. It’s a scholarly approach to something you’re reading for enjoyment. You can get the feel for “how Batman evolved” just by reading random collections from each decade. And you won’t have to slog through nearly as much shit.

>it'll be jumping around between different styles
Stop tryin to tell me things I know you insufferable faggot.

What you're doing is passive aggressively ignoring anyone telling you to start at issue one of whatever series. There is no list because for the first few hundred issues you just go issue to issue.

The fact that you've again mentioned a non-bat book I worlds finest shows you're trying more to comment on the mish mash nature of decades old comics rather that actually lookin for a reading order.

>Sorry if you're frustrated, it's just that this is how pretty much ANYTHING ELSE works,
This is when the pretense was fully dropped and you embraced your shot posting ways.

My route, and this is one character
>saw Daredevil in 90s cartoon
>Got Definitive DD years ago
>Got Miller DD years later after getting runs of other characters
>Got Nocenti DD
>Got Bendis DD
>Got Silver Age DD up to #41
>Got Waid DD from decades later
You don't need to have everything or even buy in sequence

I understand what i'm doing is a bit strange. It's just the way that makes the most sense to me, rather than skipping around.

Care to explain? The only resource I can find is publication date if I click each comic individually and compare it manual, no actual list.

Because i've done a lot of research into this question and everyone says the same thing, start at year one, start at new 52, read the big stories and ignore the rest. I just don't want to do that, I want to understand the context of this series and how it changed in real time, how people would have experienced them.

You do raise up a good point about oicking and choosing bits and pieces from each to get a taste, and I may find myself doing that if the silver age gets unbearable, but I think I can enjoy it all the way through just fine.

I'm not whatever boogieman you think I am. I gave a clickbait OP to actually get responses but i've been nothing but nice ITT. Sorry for my ignorance.

It's the only one I've been able to find that goes publication rather than chronology. The only issue I'm seeing is that it's muddy sorting between Earth-1 and Earth-2 but as you're reading it won't be too hard to reference between the two. You're also out of luck when you hit the year 2000 but that's won't be a problem for several years.

Thank you very much!

>tfw all of this could have been avoided if alan moore got to publish his comic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_of_the_Superheroes

Fuck Moore. Use wiki

>I just wanted to read Batman in release order but it seems that list simply doesn't exist...
Batman wasn't retconned until 2011. It's literallt the easiest character to read until new52

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:aad011721a304226b6b58caae458e512e4edf42f&dn=The+Definitive+Batman+Comics+Collection+%28.cbz%2C+.cbr+files%29&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Stop being retarded, batman is the easiest character to read

>What is the 80's
>What is Zero Hour
Jesus Christ.

Ignore the triggered, braindead people, OP. You're doing God's work, but it's such a great effort people's tiny brains get angry at the proposal of it. Yes, you should definitely read Batman chronologically. I wish you good luck. I also hope you'll write your impressions in some sort of followable blog or essay.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE who argues continuity doesn't matter says so because they don't read old comics so they want continuity not to matter. They don't realize everything was built upon continuity, and that's what makes anything stick in your oh so precious out of continuity stories. Character development and evolution are vital in a story, and the trick and magic of superhero corporate comics is figuring out a way of working your way around the status quo, not accepting it.

user with Silver Age Thor, FF, Spiderman and Shield here. Continuity can create great stories, and inspire/lead to creative teams doing cool things. But
>Continuity doesn't matter
Doesn't mean never read old stuff. It means don't feel the need to read in order or everything. I read Waid FF before getting the Kirby ECs and I can appreciate how they interconnect just fine. If I get something inbetween, it's the same deal.

But why does the suggestion of doing it make people so irrationally angry? Just read the thread. People react as if personally insulted. It's undeniable that reading in order presents several perks, such as watching things evolve and grow organically. Going off your FF example, I'd say it's even more vital there since they never rebooted, they ACTUALLY aged in real time until Franklin was born and stopped time. The FF are, in fact, one giant novel.
zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff-act4-FF219.html

Because batman has only had 2 numbers ones in it's entire story, is the EASIEST character to read in order.

Thanks for the kind words, but i'm really not doing it to be superior or anything, it's just what works best for me.

I intend to make a publication order Pastebin so if anyone like me comes around in the future they'll have that resource. If I have something to say while i'm reading I may catalog my thoughts. The pastebin will end up on Yea Forums.

He's had 3, but yeah. So it really is just people getting angry at the thought that they couldn't do that much effort.

You’re going to have to read them
Separately. There’s little overlap plotwise.

>Barely capeshit
>spawn
Wut.

>I am incapable of understanding that other people have different tastes than me
Peak Yea Forums

May I suggest this?

comicbookreadingorders.com/

It's by no means complete, but maybe it will help.

>I’ve done a lot of research
>everyone says the same thing
So why don’t you listen?

>The entire DC universe in order

That might be where I draw the line, but thanks.

Attached: IMG_1057.jpg (325x464, 53K)

Because I disagree with their reasoning. I have the time and the interest to explore beyond the same selected works.

So why ask for advice if you didn’t intend to take it?

Check the smaller categories, there are character reading orders as well.

I clarify what I want later on in the thread, it was my mistake for not being specific earlier.

Oh cool, that'll be helpful too.

Sure, you'll get a big chunk of the Batman comics that way. But there's a lot of Batman content that was printed outside those two publications (crossover appearances, limited series, graphic novels). And OP wanted to read all of the character's adventures from the beginning.

I agree with most anons in that I don't think Batman should be read chronologically. But I still agree with OP too; it would be useful to have a site that lets you search comics according to the parameters you choose and organize the results according to their publishing date. This site's search feature is supposed to be able to do it, but I'm having trouble making it work right:
comics.org/

I've used Wikipedia and Comicvine in situations where I want to look up appearances of a specific character, but it doesn't help a lot when we're talking about someone like Batman. He's been around for too many decades and had too many appearances in too many magazines.
comicvine.gamespot.com/batman/4005-1699/issues-cover/
This page lists 122 pages of Batman appearances. Some of them are duplicates of non-English translations, but a lot of them are not.

This site also does the trick. comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=24328