Is The New 52 worth going through? What are the best and worst series?

Is The New 52 worth going through? What are the best and worst series?

From what I understand most people hate it because of SJW reasons and because it reset continuity. What about the actual quality of the writing and art?

Attached: IAH_ep8.0.jpg (1400x1400, 266K)

Raw quality is EXTREMELY uneven. Some series are genuinely pretty great, others are bizarre fuckjobs. Nothing is consistent, you can see that they had not plannet this in advance and it was forced upon them on a very short notice by someone above Didio.

Which ones should I avoid?

No people hated New 52 because of a lot of stupid creative decisions, like trying to cram all DC history into 5 years with various alterations here and there. SJW boogeymen had little to nothing to do with it. Most dumb creative decisions can be traced back to Didio. For the most part it's a huge mixed bag but I'd personally recommend
>Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder
>Aquaman by Geoff Johns
>Animal Man by Lemire
>Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello
>Curse of Shazam
>Dial H
And maybe Court of Owls Batman if you really must. It's not a great introduction into DC

Attached: BIZARRO THINK GOOD.jpg (581x620, 90K)

What would be a better introduction to the larger DC universe then?

Not really. The SJW stuff came later, around the DCYOU stuff.

There's some Nu52 stuff worth checking, mostly the Animal Man/Swamp Thing side of things. Add maybe Dial H, Frankenstein and Demon Knights to that.
Green Lantern and some of the Batman books went mostly unaffected, continuing the storylines that were going on before the reset.

I remember finding it interesting how they were incorporating the Wildstorm stuff, but it was badly executed and ended pretty much in nothing.

I recall people liking Flash, but I'm not sure. Everything else fell pretty much flat for me.

user I'm going to tell you what I tell everybody; just jump in, read all what you can, absorb various titles, and then worry about canon later. One should look for solid story arcs, not blind faith in titles/characters. You'll figure out what you like, and then begin to understand how it all intertwines (or doesn't) as you go. Big crossover events, to me, are usually shit. But they do provide a nice variety of characters to get familiar with. If you have a few characters in mind that interest you, I'm sure I or other anons could recommend some reading material for them.

Frankly? Your best bet is finding specific well-regarded runs of whatever character interests you, disregarding whether it's from current or previous continuities, then working from there.

Like, Giffen DeMatteis JLI, or Morrison JLA (later continued by Joe Kelly and others) are a better read and introduction than any of the Justice League books that came after.

52 is great for learning about C-listers

>finding specific well-regarded runs of whatever character interests you
That's the thing. I don't really know most of the supporting characters apart from those that have appeared in the live action movies.
I'm especially interested in the wider Gotham roster and I guess a portion of Justice League. I'm usually not huge on outer space or all-powerful heroes like Superman, in general I prefer human vigilantes over actual superpowers.
What should I check?

Most people seem to hate the new 52 for continuity or status quo reasons . Basically, >not muh.

Pound for pound it offered better quality books than rebirth as well as a much greater diversity of genres

Earth 2 was pretty good

Batgirl: Silent Knight
Batwoman by Greg Rucka
Robin by Chuck Dixon
Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Gotham Central

>and I guess a portion of Justice League

If you want the 'classic' Justice League roster then Justice League of America by Grant Morrison is your best bet.

52 is really great. It shows you every corner of the DC universe at the time, and I think they actually went out of their way to feature every character that existed then?

It needs a bit of context from the events that led to it, but it gives the necessary info to carry on.

I mentioned JLI, it's an old and old-fashioned but very down to earth version of the League, with a lot of heart. JLA is all about the high concept adventures, so although it's excellent, it may not be what you're looking for.

For Batman and the Gotham side of things, I think a good place to go is the Scott Snyder run of Detective Comics, that started before Flashpoint and continued after the Nu52 reset. It got kinda crap the longer it went, but it was solid for a good while.

I'd recommend setting your sights beyond Gotham. Suppose you could give Green Arrow a try.

As for not liking "All Powerful Heroes", I think you fell for memes and Superman misconceptions. But feel free to still avoid that kind of stuff if it's your preference. Just have an open mind

This

It had some great books that were easily better anything from Marvel at the time

Thanks! I will check those.

>As for not liking "All Powerful Heroes", I think you fell for memes and Superman misconceptions.
Which series do you think could change my mind on this? Series where those characters feel more vulnerable?

Action Comics By Grant Morrison is what if the 1930s comic Superman was in a post 9/11 world. It’s a story about a jerkass Clark humbling himself overtime

> From what I understand most people hate it because of SJW reasons
What do you mean?
Sjws hated it early on because Catwoman & Starfire were sexualized.

But no one hated it because the books themselves were Sjw-ish.

The Muslim Lantern & Black Power Girl were minor annoyances and weren't pushed in our faced like Marvel's diversity characters were.

All the New52 Aquaman series is worth reading. Even Bunn's run.
John's opening run is supurb.

I meant SJWs hated it because of the lack of diversity in the characters and writers (only one female writer). People were apparently upset that Barbara no longer represented people with disabilities too.

>muh SJW boogeyman
Holy shit, things can suck without being political

See

God don't remind me how Babs regressed