Whats the Yea Forumsnsensus on Transformers: The Movie?

Whats the Yea Forumsnsensus on Transformers: The Movie?

>Death of Optimus Prime
>Orson Welles as Unicron
>Hair metal soundtrack
>Swearing in a kids movie

Attached: 81AclELdXxL._SX522_.jpg (522x522, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AGrKfQ9Ss7w
youtube.com/watch?v=wTup5mT4O-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's great. I have a copy signed by Stan Bush.

Easily the best piece of Transformers media.

Attached: unicron flyby.webm (1290x720, 2.98M)

While entertaining it was merely just a cheaper way of pushing a new line of toys, more so than the actual show

I fucking loved it as a kid. My nostalgia for it may be greater than nearly any other cartoon. I watched quite a bit of G1 on rented VHS tapes before seeing it. My favorites were always Starscream and Optimus Prime. After watching G1 for so long it blew my mind that characters could actually get killed. For the first time there were stakes. My favorite characters both died and those were the most hype moments of all, because it was PERFECT.

I swear my jaw must have hit the floor when Starscream crumbled to ash. Hoooly shit. I love this damn movie.

>Swearing in a kids movie
>Home Alone
>Small Soldiers
>Garfield Gets Real

>>Death of Optimus Prime
The most important thing in all of Transformers fiction. It's heartbreaking, but the impression it left will forever keep this franchise afloat, regardless of the dormant states it may have to face.
>>Orson Welles as Unicron
A shame that he didn't really appreciate the roll, but he still a top tier VA.
>>Hair metal soundtrack
I like it in a sort of ironic way. Would probably not care for it so much if it was for anything else, but hearing Instruments of Destruction while watching the Autobots get gunned down is something else.
>>Swearing in a kids movie
Found it to be no big deal, but it does help emphasize characters.

The animation is so fucking good, but then you go back to season 3 and the animation is abysmal

Don't forget Leonard Nimoy as Galvatron.

We still have no idea what the budget for that movie was, Hasbro has never released it since the movie bombed so fucking badly, but every second of it looks so goddamn expensive. I saw it in theaters last fall when they did that special showing, and man, despite seeing it maybe a hundred times on video I felt like I didn't truly appreciate it until seeing it the way it was meant to be shown, on the big screen, where all the insane attention to detail and sheer scope of the imagery can actually be appreciated.

I didn't get that showing here but I did watch it on the new Blu-Ray and it looked incredible.

>Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy.

It's my second favorite movie of all time, and an underrated masterpiece of Cinema.

Total Kino

youtube.com/watch?v=AGrKfQ9Ss7w

It got good around Call of the Primitives

>tfw they will never release the uncut extra-violent version

The soundtrack is so 80s it hurts.

In a good way.

Everything about this movie is great. Even the bad parts you can laugh at.

And the animation still holds up today.

Best song coming through.
youtube.com/watch?v=wTup5mT4O-Q

Attached: ca55bf5d7f8dce111842397050e7dd45.jpg (800x691, 73K)

My favourite movie of all time.

Scarier than any version of Galactus.

Shame they cheapened G1 Optimus dying by having every other alternate version of Optimus die at some point in later continuities. It's actually a miracle when an Optimus Prime doesn't croak before a continuity finishes.

Also almost every iteration of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime gets shit on in every continuity too. It's been over 30 years, people need to give the hate boner a rest.

This movie still has one of my top ten villain intros of all time with Unicron. It immediately set the stakes of the movie as not just a typical Transformers battle.

The last time I saw Hot Rod in comics he was the most insufferable piece of shit ever, even running out on the autobots. It was the only version that truly deserved that hateboner.

>Shame they cheapened G1 Optimus dying by having him come back to life in season 3

ftfy

Twice even. Think he died and came back another few times in later JP G1 fiction too.

As a standalone film, I would agree with you.

I think there are select episodes of every series (well, except Energon maybe) that are outstanding.

This 2:47 of animation probably cost half the budget of season 3.

>Watch Combiner Wars
Energon is a masterpiece.

Season 3 episodes not animated by AKOM actually have decent animation.

Regeneration One treated Hot Rod rather decently, iirc. It's just a shame the Regeneration One kind of sucked.

G1 Optimus isn't even the first to die. I'm pretty sure Marvel Optimus beat him to it.

Marvel Optimus sucks, though.