(Fox studio, 1990)

(Fox studio, 1990)

Voice director: Yeah that Marge voice is a bit straining on Julie's throat but hey, she'll only have to do it for 4-5 seasons or so before the show wraps up. It's not like we ever have to worry about her doing it long enough to sustain permanent damage, right?

Attached: julie_kavner.jpg (272x616, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3A3AOC56rGc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't think it matters considering how much she's being paid

I've heard the stories but I've never been brave enough to watch recent Simpsons to find out.

Why do they keep renewing the show? Have some mercy on the poor woman.

Why did they decide on a raspy, smoking for 40+ years monster voice for Marge anyway?

She was a close friend of James L. Brooks.

She does not have a problem doing Patty & Selma, but Marge sounds utterly horrible now.

Sneed

@106430594
This meme wore out its welcome a while ago.

(Fox studio, 1999)

Ian Maxtone-Graham: Yeah this little inside joke is a bit dumb but hey, it'll only be in one episode before the show wraps up. It's not like we ever have to worry about people turning into a running gag.

It also set the weird trend for animated sitcom moms to have really bad/annoying voices.
Francine's voice is probably the least shit, which is really saying something.

PEEHTAH

She does the voice, what, 20 hours a year, if that? How is that enough to cause damage.

Never forget: There's a part in this movie where she lapses from Timon's Mother's voice to Marge Simpson's voice.

Attached: Lion-King-lion-king-3-4382312-576-336.jpg (576x336, 14K)

There is speculation that it had to do with recording the lines for the Simpsons movie when the voice director made her redo one part 30 times. I understand that there's union rules for how many times you can make a voice actor redo dialog because of the risk of causing permanent damage.

Remember that Billy West claimed John K wanted him to redo a Ren scream 130 times? Yeah.

Didn't Billy voice Ren after John K left?

Actually John did Ren's speaking parts, he just had BW do screams because he wasn't able to himself. Billy didn't participate in APC at all.

Huh, that's interesting.
In other news, John K is a psycho.

>I've heard the stories but I've never been brave enough to watch recent Simpsons to find out.

Kavner is in bad shape. Remember how Marge's mother sounded in the early seasons of the show? That's how Marge sounds now, maybe worse.

Ren's voice was also sped up on the tape and John can't naturally sound like that. They didn't use tape speeding in APC due to budget constraints which is why Ren sounds weird compared to OG series.

John K. was/is a troll, though. He likes to make his employees redo things a thousand times and then go with their first version just to fuck with them. He made one of his prop artists redraw a present from "Stimpy's Invention" over 200 times in different shapes, colors, ribbons, paper, etc. He then went with the first drawing the artist did, just to piss him off.

With voice acting, though, it can lead to actually harming the actor's throat and vocal cords. West has stories about coughing up blood after voicing Popeye. Some of those injuries can even be career ending. But hey, John K. got a good laugh, so it's all good.

How long until she's physically unable to keep doing the role?

>West has stories about coughing up blood after voicing Popeye.

Frank Welker would also spit up blood from voicing Optimus Prime.

The writers clearly realize her voice is toast because Marge only gets about 5 lines of dialog in episodes now.

>With voice acting, though, it can lead to actually harming the actor's throat and vocal cords

Thus

You mean Megatron?
Although I can't imagine Optimus being kind to Cullen's vocal chords either.

Welker's Megatron voice has gotten better as he gets older since it has a more menacing tone to it.

The last new episodes I watched were in about Season 17-18. I don't remember how she sounded in them.

youtu.be/3A3AOC56rGc
Here's an example of Julie performing Marge. Homer doesn't sound as good either

Sitcom wives throughout hustory have had grating voices, see Peg Bundy and Lucy Ricardo. Marge was just following in their footsteps

Also at some point Nancy Cartwright got so lazy that she pretty much just started using her normal speaking voice for Bart.

3 days

I think he's talking about Peter Cullen, but getting a lot of stories confused. Cullen didn't cough up blood while voicing Optimus Prime. He coughed up blood after providing roars and growls for King Kong in King Kong Lives. He hurt his throat so bad, he thought his VA career was over. When Fox cast him to provide the noises for the Predator, they wanted him to do the same growls and roars as he did in King Kong Lives. He came up with the low, quiet clicking noises because he didn't want to hurt his throat again.

Did not know that. Fuck John K.

>He came up with the low, quiet clicking noises because he didn't want to hurt his throat again.
Mad respect. That trilling uvula sound is more menacing thst any roar.

She's the only of the Simpsons cast that really wants to continue and mostly so she can keep the Scientology cash train running.

Story of how he came up with it on the spot in the studio is great, too.

They showed him the top secret photo of what the Predator's face looked like. The mandibles reminded him of a time when he was walking on the beach and he saw a dying horseshoe crab laying on its back. Its legs were up in the air, twitching back and forth, and they were making that rolling clicking sound. So he asked the directors if he could trying something different, pulled mic up close and did the clicking noise. They changed their minds on the spot and didn't want the Pred to growl or roar anymore, they liked it so much.

>John K is an asshole
Who knew?

And the man single-handedly gave the Yautja one of their most iconic sounds.
These days it would be an entry level sound mixer, in a small dark room, working off of statistics sheets of what sounds appeal to the 18-35 year old demographic.

she sounds like she's been chain smoking for 30 years lol

Anyone have that forum post of Billy West ranting about John K?

Reminds me of KISS who are finally retiring for good now because Paul Stanley's voice is all-but demolished.

Yeah she's had at least four or five contracts since then. Could have walked at any time. Everybody would have understood, they could have continued the show, wrapped it up over a whole season, anything.

It's sad that it's taking a toll but frankly that's what happens to your voice over time. It changes.

>It's sad that it's taking a toll but frankly that's what happens to your voice over time. It changes.
Dude...that's not just normal "My voice changed a little as I got older", that's actual damage caused by decades of abusing one's throat doing a harsh, unnatural voice.

It must be paying off on some level for them.

Loathe as I am to admit it, Lois' voice makes me diamonds.

Other fun story: the mandible design came from Stan Winston, who was brought on the project after the first monster costume (infamously worn by Jean Claude Van Damme) turned out to be a catastrophic failure. He was drawing up the design on a flight and James Cameron, who was on the same flight by pure coincidence, had a look at it and casually said he should add mandibles because he always wanted to see an alien movie monster with mandibles. Winston just rolled with it and the rest was history.

Do you wonder if...nah.

>only of the Simpsons cast that really wants to continue

What, the others don't like being able to eat? Ride that gravy train to the very end I say.

Harry Shearer has hated the show since 1993 yet he still loves the paychecks.

That's also harmful to the artists, as it sets them up for repetitive stress injuries.

Voice director: Yeah that Sneed voice is a bit straining on Harry's throat but hey, he'll only have to do it for 1-2 episodes or so before we drop the character. It's not like we ever have to worry about him doing it long enough to sustain permanent damage, right?

Good lord, She sounds awful.
Even Dan Castellaneta sounds like he's not as up to it anymore.
Just...
Make it stop.

Attached: sadness food.png (997x781, 488K)

Haven't watched any new simpsons in like a decade, and the only bit I chuckled at was the hummingbird in the plastic bag part

Jesus Christ, Homer sounds used up too.
There's 9 billion episodes already, it's time to get Silicon Valley on the phone and cobble together a Simpsons VA speech AI.

Attached: 515788235072.jpg (355x279, 11K)

Or go with the threat from the strike. Hire college kids

Patty and Selma are much closer to her actual speaking voice so that's not much of a surprise
She can still basically do it but she's got no power behind it anymore, or at least she isn't putting any behind it.

Filthy Frank had to stop doing the character because the voice basically destroyed his vocal cords after only 6 years, it’s a miracle Kavner can still talk at this point

Wow, John K. is a piece of shit.

>Why did they decide on a raspy, smoking for 40+ years monster voice for Marge anyway?
Because she's jewish