We talk shit on the politics and writing of zombie Simpsons...

We talk shit on the politics and writing of zombie Simpsons, but what really activates my autism in particular is the character design of zombie Simpsons.

Attached: nusimpsons SJW girls.png (3840x2160, 2.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

deviantart.com/morpheus306/journal/Simpsons-now-in-HD-update-233741679
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Point one, they simply don't look like characters from The Simpsons.
Juxtaposed next to the simplicity and funk of a Homer, Nelson, or Moe they look like god damned martians.
All the OG designs were built to be easily animated and easily recognized. Most dresses are a single color, boys in tshirts and shorts, but it fucking works.
And they're funny looking, they're these really dopey looking kids that kind of inspire humor from their pug noses or beady eyes. I think designers really started losing their way in the oughties when they started tailoring designs to look nice for celebrity guests- you can chart as time slides on how cameos look less like simpsons and more like flattering caricatures. Monorail- Leonard Nemoy has a huge honking beak of a nose, squinted eyes but not creepy semi-real egg eyes. We start seeing things creep away from the style as early as When You Dish Upon A Star(98), and by New Kids on the Blech (01) we were into the era of unsettling attempts to realistically portray the celebrity guests. The wheel of time turns and we reach a point where Simpsons will willfully omit features that exist in the real-life celebrities if they aren't "nice", we get a thin Ricky Gervais with hair, and Lady Gaga with a button nose, Anthony Bordain not looking like a crumpled brown paper bag. And then this cutesy new style is applied to all random new characters- Comic Book Guy's wife, rando background characters, etc. It just looks wrong, it's not funny or charming, it smacks of soulessness.

Attached: lisas_substitute_24.jpg (512x384, 150K)

Point two, they don't even look like the things they're supposed to portray. I don't know how old these character designers are, I don't know if they actually go outside. They're putting out "cool feminist girls" whose designs have all the subtly and respect of a stonetoss comic. They still put fucking trilbies and suspenders on pop culture geeks. It's like they refuse to do a bit of research and pull designs from the collective baby boomer consciousness's ass. If you want to design teenage activists, try to pull from reality's modern teenage activists- Newspapers all publish huge crowd shots of protests, scan through that for inspiration. You might see shaved heads, like on Emma Gonzales, you might see a kid's who surprisingly old-fashioned in her grooming and clothes, like Greta Thunberg, You'll see porky bespectacled kids, and you'll see some dyed or streaked hair. I promise you you won't find a black girl with totally straight liberty spikes that have a brown/traffic cone orange gradient, because that's a bad hairstyle that's thankfully impossible. You don't need to stack up every single signifier of "x" subculture on a character to designate them as that thing, you can just throw in one or two little pieces- a haircut, a pair of glasses, a shirt, a piercing. Keep it simple stupid.

Attached: Climate rally.jpg (1190x750, 285K)

Which brings me to point three- they're fucking over designed! Switching to flash catered to Matt's terrible animation preferences and probably seemed like a boon to designers. Now, they could elaborate, make detailed designs, fill episodes with variant costumes, etc etc, but look at this shit. Look at all the random shit tossed in in random colors that tells you fucking nothing. Random visual static tossed on. It's a mess.

Attached: Bart_vs._Itchy_&_Scratchy_promo_3.png (3840x2160, 2.24M)

This has happened to South Park too. New characters are way more detailed than old ones and it sticks out.

Attached: south-park-s12e14c05-douchey-little-vampire-kids-16x9.jpg (960x540, 86K)

They don't use Flash, the stuff is still drawn by hand.

It does stick out.
At least they're still the right "shape" for SP characters, if Trey and Matt started giving them necks I'd lose my shit.

not a good example
goths are supposed to have an obnoxious amount of shit on them at all times

What bothers me about SP is that almost any animal drawn in the show now is completely realistic, while crude and simple animals like the cows or Mr. Kitty still exist.

>goths
>saying that picture is of goths
You take that back

You almost had a point until here when you failed to consider that this art style might be a deliberate one and it's conceivable that "cool feminist girls" in the Simpsons universe could look like that. I mean, cartoons are supposed to exaggerate reality a little bit and it could hardly be weirder that characters with eyes like ping pong balls and huge columns of blue hair that defy gravity.

I do agree the characters are over-designed and look out of place next to Bart or whatever.

>Switching to flash catered to Matt's terrible animation preferences and probably seemed like a boon to designers
From what I understand, Groening really had nothing to do with that and it was mandated by Fox to save on money.

It's too clean, too sanitized.

Alright, how about another example? Compare PC Principal's head and facial features to Randy's.

Attached: PC principal.jpg (480x360, 29K)

Marge's hair is a stylization of the bouffant- a real hairstyle. Using it signified her personality as being vaguely anachronistic, she was a fussy and "uncool" mother figure.
Liberty spikes were a punk symbol of the eighties and nineties, a girl wearing her hair like that in 2019 would probably mean she was a weirdo nostalgia girl with an admiration for the older punk scene- her politics and personality would probably follow that route and she'd be an edgelord and pretty socially retarded.
The features you give a character should mean something, the features you give a character should have research and thought put into them.

Attached: tall bouffant.jpg (517x800, 43K)

They’re going to molest him, aren’t they?

A-asking for a friend

I don't like PC Principal's design, way too much detail.

>there's no planet B
they really believe 1C per century will make the planet explode or something?

When a series runs for so long, it may lose the most defining artists and animators that worked on it during the "golden" years. What you say is a bit overtextualized but it's true, modern new characters Simpsons designs don't really follow the same art direction early seasons Simpsons did. But I wouldn't say it's the most negative aspect of it, considering that many characters they made during the golden era have the same thing. Someone like Principal Skinner has much more "detail" compared to your Homar or Bort.

It's also because of guests being so common, they had to go for a more "detailed" style that still somehow fit within the series but also makes said guests recognizable. But I'd argue that the moment The Simpsons started licking these guests' butts it started getting worse.

PC Principal is good character tho.

I think they argue that the planet will become unlivabley shitty.

I agree I'm just talking about his design which is out of place.

Character is one thing, character design is another.

Here's probably the best example of what OP is arguing that I can think of:
>the episode with Matt Damon

Attached: Mattdamonarthur.jpg (720x480, 72K)

For comparison:
>the episode with Mister Rogers

Attached: Fred_Rogers.png (625x475, 467K)

That's horrifying

Alternatively:
>the episode with Yo-Yo Ma and Joshua Redman

Attached: My_Music_Rules.png (1038x768, 311K)

Attached: the_good_the_sad_and_the_drugly_48.jpg (640x360, 195K)

>guest star is named Matt
>make him an aardvark instead of a cat
reeee

I don't see many people take notice of this, but I agree. The level of detail for backgrounds also changed. While I'm used to current South Park, I miss how simple it looked from the older seasons.

I liked some of the newer Simpsons women. Jenny is one of them. Shauna and Nikki are more examples.

Attached: Widey Heidi Deux!.gif (420x420, 1.84M)

Simplify the accessories and it's okay for nu-simpsons

Attached: F3AD0B74-1B6F-4F44-BDA3-AA5783EF4515.jpg (259x195, 9K)

SOUL

Meant to post this with the picture. These aren’t that different from season 3 designs from decades ago. If I have any complaint it’s that I miss how ugly the characters used to be.

Never understood that Nikki

this isn't so bad compared to other stuff. still looks sort of sterile though

>outfit color scheme of three colors
>look like teens from the era
Yes, that's a good example of how it could have been done competently.

god, bart looks so fucking out of place next to new age simpsons characters

new characters have clothes and colors and shit. bart is still wearing the same fucking shit from 30 years ago and even THEN it was boring.

not even a 90s design or 80s. just lazy.

Anyone else notice that all of these new Simpsons designs have big heads? Like, disproportionately big?

that's true

PC Principal is suppose to be over detailed, he’s meant to represent a massive douchebag who also has a good side. I can see your point if all background characters looked like him.

Attached: 1552250739923.gif (250x309, 480K)

staging
no staging

South Park backgrounds look great though

Attached: 32432.png (1280x481, 485K)

Hahahahahahaha

NO!

Attached: 1551421664969.jpg (236x214, 7K)

As a CO fag I appreciate them, it's neat to see our state's representative show display how fucking pretty we are.
I do think the super gorgeous bgs should be used sparingly though.

Sorry but to me this sounds as weird as Yea Forums's "forced animation" meme. A 20-year-old show naturally gets better visuals at some point. The backgrounds now represent the characters more and they still fit in with the rest of the visuals.

Attached: 1549826723091.png (800x1348, 1.02M)

I mostly was talking about the outside bgs, like you can see how a lot of action in front of could be distracting or visually confusing.
I really fucking like how M&T design interiors with such care and love, their characters really come through in the living spaces they design.

Attached: southpark exterior.jpg (852x480, 59K)

South Park background designers are CalArts students so Yea Forums should be against them by default.

>not being reasonable and recognizing a school as just a school
I mean, it's a bit overpriced, but that comes with the territory of being a private arts university.
And in my experience, people who go into designing for less flashy shit are more tolerable, so background artists are probably just better and more likeable than students of writing and character design.

It's a lot easier to just say the creators are too out of touch

The 2D puppets are drawn by hand, then animated with a puppet rig.

What about Otto being an 80s metal fan, Skinner being a POW in Vietnam, or Disco Stu around in 2019?

And I think the exact same of South Park as I do Simpsons, it needs to fucking end before there is a decade of shit that is just awful.

You've got me there.
I wonder if it would be better or worse if these archetypes moved forward in time.
Ska Stu? Iraqi vet Skinner? Brvtal Otto?

>Pink haired girl
>Only one side of her head is shaven off

Attached: 1530016598555.png (1334x750, 933K)

CURSED IMAGE

And I agree with that. It's amazing how far the show has come, but I did like the older style, too.

Attached: giphy.gif (480x270, 476K)

>Otto is now a 00s era New Metal fan with Linkin Park shirts and sings Korn and Papa Roach lrics
>Skinner is an Afghan War vet
>Rudeboy Stu is super into classic punk and hates Avril Lavigne

>Rudeboy Stu
OY OY OY OY

>Jenny is one of them
Zzzzz...

What a nice group of boys.

so you're saying the original designs are in the wrong?

Counterpoint

Attached: psh.jpg (500x330, 32K)

The one in the purple dress in OP could be a good Simpsons design if they took away everything but the dress and sneakers.

This is Yea Forums. Admit you also would prefer to get rid of the dress.

This looks like some Deviantart shit

When Stephen Jay Gould was in the Simpsons, he had blue hair from what I recall. Not because he dyed it like in the OP pic but because that was a natural hair color for some Simpsons characters like Bart and Lisa having skin colored hair.

That's par for the course for 'totes badass!!! xD' female designs. Both sides shaven is on male characters.

in fairness i think he was meant to seem out of place

Kind of a grey-blue, but pretty simpson-ish overall.

Attached: Stephen Jay Gould.jpg (512x384, 42K)

Shitty episode anyway.

One of those
>let's turn Marge into a religious fundie"
episodes

This is just grey for me

remember the episode where homer didnt want to go to church and everyone was outraged? we've come so far
>lisa cant convince marge to stop blindly following her faith
>marge's position was sensible at the time
sometimes i forget that everyone used to be unironically religious and stuff like pokemon would be banned at home or schools for religious reasons

>tfw now only old people and retards are religious but feminists and the alt left have taken the mantle of censorship and ban the same shit but for different reasons

Attached: the true meaning of jihad.jpg (1125x597, 68K)

It's not just the designs, the way of how they're colored now it's just weird

This is a lot easier to the eye
I can't point out why but the yellow skin in nusimpsons disgust me.

Remember when getting R rated movies was the closest to see a real boob?

Is the pink haired girl supposed to be Asian? Also another weird thing with the newer designs is that now everyone's eyes are more oval or almond shaped instead of the classic perfectly round eyeballs

no, projections state that by 2016 New York and the coastlines will be underwater

She's the modern version of Milhouse's girlfriend... in fact the plots are similar.

It's all animated in Korea so it's not that surprising.

I hate the new simpsons cheekbones.

It's ToonBoom, not Flash, user. Similar principles, but Flash is more limiting.

See though, South Park still uses simplified designs most of the time (example- despite the detailed bulbous brain, Jeff Bezos still has an overly simplified face and clothing like the others). And it can go both ways- many of the many cast, even Randy, can get as overly detailed as the style can allow. PC is the outlier, and it's obvious that was intentional.

The Simpsons just disregard it. And honestly, has been since they started having guest star characters look like their actors- even Nimoy and Hoffman still look a little out of place compared to Homer or Moe.

Sneed

bless this post.

white apu spotted

>Also another weird thing with the newer designs is that now everyone's eyes are more oval or almond shaped
What? They've always done that. It's a stock animation design everyone learns in school.

could've made him less detailed.

>tfw they explain that Apu was so offensive because of an Armin Tanzarian mix up after Snake’s white business partner shot Apu accidentally and out of shame took his place

Attached: Love_Is_a_Many-Splintered_Thing_1.jpg (653x367, 209K)

Remove the unnecessary complications from the dress and she almost looks like a good old fashioned simpsons character

I hated this character, I really did.

Or more correctly, it was just because Groening's mother had a haircut like that.

But this looks like its from an older episode than the Matt Damon one.
Here's this gem from one of the more recent seasons.

Attached: yikes.png (994x488, 811K)

Another screenshot

Attached: gets worse.png (900x506, 472K)

Attached: stealing_first_base_49.jpg (618x350, 53K)

I like her design, I don't like or

Finally someone with more autism than I do explained this in a perfectly understandable way.

They hire such talented artists to work on the show yet they churn out such ugly work it's baffling. Somehow, one of the guys who works on the show manages to make the artstyle in HD look so much better with minor adjustments (see pic).

Attached: dcyqrqf-4727d4b6-eedf-4f97-b659-b1bb0c6076d8.jpg (1000x952, 1.27M)

I suspect it's network mandates. There was one Simpsons animator who said for a while Fox very sternly forbade them to go more than a fraction of a centimeter off model.

I think it was the same guy although Matt also has that autistic obsession with keeping everything look 100% on-model at all times.

But I dunno, even pushing that aside the art is just so fucking boring. The staging and blocking are so bland and they barely even attempt to portray characters from anything from 3/4th, which I would at least kind of understand considering how weird the Simpsons designs work in 3D if it wasn't for the original 8 seasons having the characters be portrayed from other angles all the time, even if they looked weird at times.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

This was I understand done to save money because the show honestly is not making the kind of cash it once did.

Offmodel animation doesn't necessarily cost more, hell good animation doesn't even have to necessarily cost more. They already have a lot of talented people working on The Simpsons, I know because I've looked around a lot, they're just not allowed to actually animate the characters. But Fox probably wouldn't know that I suppose.

Are you talking about this link, or has it been discussed elsewhere too?
deviantart.com/morpheus306/journal/Simpsons-now-in-HD-update-233741679

That's probably a given when the voice actors' salaries eat 60% of the budget.

Well that on top of ad revenues and merch sales being nowhere near what they were in the past. They also cut the run time of episodes to 20 minutes to reduce expenses.

user everyone is still unironically religious.

...Its just not Christianity anymore its Muslims and Jews who get the spotlight now. Notice how the left will shit on Christianity all day but won't lay a finger on Islam?

Attached: Pay_Pal_139.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

>a girl wearing her hair like that in 2019 would probably mean she was a weirdo nostalgia girl with an admiration for the older punk scene- her politics and personality would probably follow that route and she'd be an edgelord and pretty socially retarded.
giving way too much credit for a baby boomer drawing what they think of a SJW feminist

>giving way too much credit for a baby boomer drawing what
This boomer energy drink man meme garbage is getting old.

a lot of this detail shit is probably happening due to the shift to 4k

for example 4k ducktales has that false comic look and it looks great in 4k since you can see the paper texture

south park could probably go to a quasi faked construction paper look with it

they're not goths

why would you do it in a kids show when kids aren't going to care or remember a face?

simpsons should just do that think where every season its loosely a different style on purpose

That would require effort.

I mean actual baby boomers not your dumbass calling millenials baby boomers

your parents (actually you're probably gen z so your grandparens ((cringe)) )

^This.