Alright, I'm desperate for new MCU info and it turns out this character I've never heard of is getting a movie...

Alright, I'm desperate for new MCU info and it turns out this character I've never heard of is getting a movie, so I want to learn more. Redpill me on Shang-Chi. Is he like Iron Fist but good?

Attached: 729705a619a0542aba89513a5af89545.jpg (864x1318, 228K)

He hung out with ROM one time, that's all you really need to know. Now go read ROM Spaceknight.

Though at the time, he was a lot more popular than Iron Fist, and I guess now he will be again. Especially since Perlmutter made then go cheap as shit on the Netflix show, and Danny was the most annoying shit imaginable.

Attached: ROM and Shang-chi.jpg (550x800, 441K)

He's cool

Attached: gene_day_master_of_kung_fu_111a.jpg (1280x918, 518K)

>ROM Spaceknight.
This sounds fucking awesome, why isn't this the one getting a movie?

He's the master of kung fu who fights against his evil father who wants world domination. His dad was originally Fu Manchu because Marvel had the license to adapt the Sax Rohmer novels but they don't anymore so now they have to skirt around that fact and say his dad "has had many names" and other shit like that. Also the Sax Rohmer novels were pretty racist so they probably want to forget about it entirely anyway and I look forward to seeing how they ignore it in the movie if it happens. Also whoever was doing colours for the old stuff always made Shang-Chi's skin yellow so there's that.
He doesn't show up that much nowadays from what I've seen. Shows up in the Avengers from time to time. When Spider-Man lost his spider-sense a few years back Shang taught him kung fu to make up for the loss of that edge in a fight, the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu mini that was part of Spider-Island was a decent read.

Donnie Yen is the world's biggest Bruce Lee mark and should probably play Shang-Chi even if he is getting older.

Cause that's owned by Hasbro, but the problem is Marvel made much of the backstory that can't be used by Hasbro.

Yeah, ROM's best shot at a movie is if Hasbro's shared universe takes off. But that will require a few of the other movies to actually be good in a row, and who knows if that'll happen.

Wait, Hasbro is doing a cinematic universe? Do they really have enough properties for this?

He had a really long-running series in the 70's and 80's. Although the character was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin, most of Shang-Chi's run was generally written by Doug Moench (who co-created Moon Knight and wrote a lot of Batman stuff) and part of the run was drawn by Paul Gulacy (who was heavily inspired by Steranko's work, and went on to do some Batman stuff, Star Wars Crimson Empire, Sabre, and other stuff I can't remember right now). I'd say the Moench-written stuff is worth a read, even though it would look dated to modern audiences. Post-Moench stuff usually feels off to me for some reason so I'm not the best person to recommend them, but the Secret Wars Master of Kung-Fu mini and the Spider-Island Deadly Hands of Kung Fu mini were kinda entertaining.

Attached: Paul Gulacy Master of Kung-Fu.jpg (1280x919, 400K)

In theory they have:
Transformers
GI Joe
ROM
M.A.S.K.
Micronauts
Visionaries

Really hurts that they got Gulacy back for the MAX series but the inking/colouring was nowhere near this good.

Who should the actor to play him be? I'm thinking Daniel Wu.

Wu Jing, if he's not too busy frolicking naked in his mountains of Wolf Warrior money.

All you need to know is that he’s only getting a movie because they realized Iron Fist was pissed away on a shit Netflix series

Well, if you want to get technical Shang-Chi was 100 times more popular than Iron Fist back in the 70's and 80's.

Why did they even choose to adapt Iron Fist in the first place? Because he's white?

Iron Fist had a stronger push more recently.

Iron Fist became better known after Immortal Iron Fist since the Kung-Fu craze died out decades ago and therefore a martial artist superhero was more attractive to the Big Two crowd than just a martial artist hero.

Because of his connection to Luke Cage. You cant make a series about one of those guys and not the other

You really don’t want to pull the privilege card with Danny since he was a minority in Kun Lung and told he could never become Iron Fist

I am unironically looking forward to seeing how people react to Shang-Chi given that he's the world's most transparent Bruce Lee clone and exists because of some hella racist books

Well, adapting him into a movie is a perfect excuse to fix him, so to speak.

Yeah no one cared about Carol being a murderous drunk either

>Is he like Iron Fist but good?
He is like Iron Fist but bad.

Isn't that just Liu Kang?

Is she one in the movie?

lol

>nuCarol
>flaws
LOL

>Is she one in the movie?
She didn't flinch about killing. I mean the MCU Avengers never had a no kill policy, but Carol in the film was trained as a killer and she is still a killer at the end. If killing her enemy would solve her problems, she would do it. That's close enough to what I wanted that I am happy with it.

Yes lad, the tv series sucks but Iron Fist and Heroes for Hire are better comics.

Sure

Do you have a counterargument?

Phillip Ng has already played Bruce Lee, so he's got experience.

>Ng
Is this a real last name?

Yes.

Bullshit. Pronounce it.

Depends on where they're from etc. but the most common in English are "ing" or "wu" I believe.