Is Superhero genre inherentry violent power fantasy?

Is Superhero genre inherentry violent power fantasy?
This has been criticized by many people.
What do you think about this topic?

Attached: downloadfile-6.jpg (865x452, 98K)

Yes

Now what ?

Is it everything about Superhero genre?

Off course, i don't deny the fact that Superhero genre is powerfantasy.
But, I want to see inspirational things within Superhero genre.
What do you see within Superhero genre?
Please tell me about that.

Is it bad if I think the Jesus in OP's pic looks kinda hot?

Myopic viewpoint that is held by people who don't actually read Superhero comics. Most capes are about self-empowerment in moving through trauma, rather than some basic power fantasy. The genre has been deftly used to discuss not only nature of power in many different forms but to explore metafiction and often to existentially explore the ethical consequences of scifi/fantasy concepts like cloning, time travel or resurrection. They also often discuss the nature of creation, in the contexts I previously described. They also have done great takes on television, from Miller's iconic talking heads, to X-Statix mitant reality show

Attached: CKiJQNMUEAI9-If.jpg (600x300, 46K)

Eye on the TV
'Cause tragedy thrills me.
Whatever flavour
It happens to be like:
"Killed by the husband",
"Drowned by the ocean",
"Shot by his own son",
"She used a poison in his tea",
"And kissed him goodbye".
That's my kind of story.
It's no fun 'til someone dies.

Don't look at me like
I am a monster.
Frown out your one face
But with the other.
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV.
Stare like a zombie
While the mother
Holds her child,
Watches him die
Hands to the sky,
Crying, "Why, oh, why?"

'Cause I need to watch things die from a distance.
Vicariously I live while the whole world dies.

You all need it too.
Don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?
Why can't we just admit it?

We won't give pause until the blood is flowing.
Neither the brave nor bold
Will write us the story, so,
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing.

I need to watch things die from a good safe distance.

You all feel the same.
So, why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain come down.
Drum on grave and ground.

Part vampire, part warrior.
Carnivore and voyeur.
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie. [4x]

Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.
Pull your head on out your hippie haze and give a listen.
Shouldn't have to say it all again.

The universe is hostile, so impersonal.
Devour to survive.
So it is. So it's always been.

We all feed on tragedy.
It's like blood to a vampire.

Much better you than I.

Good analysis.

So,do you think violence is not about Superhero genre but about every literature?

How is it not a inherently violent power fantasy genre?

How is a character like Booster Gold or Buddy Baker a power fantasy?

>Booster
>Be a total loser janitor
>Decide to rob stuff
>Use a time machine to go to the past
>Now make money and become famous using stolen property
>No real comeuppance, at worst certain heroes think you're an obnoxious loser

>Animal Man
>Be a two-bit stunt man
>Get powers
>Become famous, become important on a global scale and have crazy adventures
>Actually gain a big media focus and platform that allows you to advocate personal causes like animal rights, etc.

How are these not power fantasies? Normal dudes become powerful and influential individuals who matter and in some cases whose aid people actively seek out.

Yes I do. I think that song is incredibly accurate about that. We just want to pretend like we don't have chimpanzee desire for violence. But we do. We didn't come from bonobos, we aren't peaceful. We've combative assholes and have been since before we were humans.

Not always, there are some good stories out there where a punch is never thrown.

Attached: 472238.jpg (318x434, 36K)

Buddy has his whole family killed and gets told that he isn't real

Booster is not considered an incompetent loser he's reviled by anyone that wasn't a core part of the JLI and even still some of those, his only credibility was his best friend who he failed to save.

Also for buddy, being a Superhero is a job. He has the added pressure of having to not only save the day but do it in a way that doesn't make him unlikable to the masses. it also changes the alter ego element of the typical superhero fantasy, him putting on the costume is like a broker putting on a tie.

And this is why you don't post high, because you miss that this applies even moreso to Booster and that he's actively bad it. Booster's identity is largely erased beyond his name and face. Michael Jon Carter doesn't have a job or a social life, really any kind of existence beyond just being "Booster out of costume".
The difference between Booster or Buddy putting on the costume vs like Spider-Man or Batman, in the context of a "power fantasy" is so wide.

Just because bad things happen doesn't make it not be a power fantasy. That happens for the sake of drama. Superman had his entire planet and culture wiped out, Batman had his own parents murdered in front of him, yet they're still very clearly power fantasies.

>So,do you think violence is not about Superhero genre but about every literature?

Yes, because violence is a force of nature that every form of life experiences. Existence cannot exist without conflict and violence. Stars explode, volcanoes erupt, animals hunt, and people kill. To not explore these themes and to not entrench people in the understanding of violence and its duality is to be an ignorant child, naive of the reality in which we live.

>Is Superhero genre inherentry violent power fantasy?
Yes.

>What do you think about this topic?
What I think about this topic is that just saying "violent power fantasy" barely scratches the surface. I think it's a very specific kind of violent power fantasy: a justice fantasy. The word "revenge fantasy" is used in a lot of films, like Tarantino's films, Count of Monte Cristo, etc. But Superhero fiction scratches a similar but slightly different itch. People desire the power to effect real change in their world. People see things going to shit, and superheroes feed into the thought of "If only I, an individual, were more powerful, I could get rid of the injustices I see. By punching them." In Action Comics #1, Superman faces off against a wife beater, a corrupt senator, gangsters, etc. His first villains are the abusers and oppressors of the author's era. the DNA of that still threads through all superhero stories since. The idea that the world is unjust, there are villains about, and good, powerful people need to stand up to them, usually by punching them.

So,do you think Superhero genre is amoral?

Only since Stan Lee(who was a thief as well as a hack). Before that, we had stories about Superman solving problems without punching anyone. It is what Morrison tried to do in ASS.

Good point.
I think the idea about altruism and optimism is the core of superman genre,not violence.

On Yea Forums, yeah....

Honestly, that's a more difficult question, that gets into the topic of whether showing people these sort of simple morality plays negatively impacts the way they view real issues.

There is some research that acting like Superman make person more altruistic.
Isn't it positive impact on real people,isn't it?

Yea Forums is hell((( ;゚Д゚)))

Probably not amoral, but it certainly has some very troubling aspects to it like the whole vigilante justice, violation of privacy and other laws, no accountability, heroes doing bad things always get a fucking pass or at worst, a slap on the wrist, etc. And then there's stuff like the classic superhero trope of gaining intel by simply beating the shit out of people in bars etc. until someone spills the beans, i.e. glorified form of torture. And even that doesn't always work, sometimes nobody knows anything so you just beat the shit out of people for nothing, but hey, it's okay because they're all obviously bad guys.

Thank you
Good analysis.
I will not apply the logic of Superhero genre into real world, off course.
But, I think the core of idea of Superheroes is not bound by violence.
As Grant Morrison expressed in All Star Superman, Superhero can be great without much violence.

Pretty much. If you take the violence out, what's the point of the super powers?

Fixing problems.
I mean, that's how violence is used in capeshit anyway, isn't it? "Punch something until it stops being a problem"?

Helping people is one of them ,isn't it?

Are Superheroes inherentry amoral people?

Well said.

Attached: 1121743__safe_rarity_spike_official_facebook_secret+of+my+excess_my+little+dragon.jpg (800x450, 31K)

Batman as a character is completely rooted in trauma and traumatic motivation, it only becomes a power fantasy for brainlets who ignore this element of his character. If you asked people "would you like to have a series of traumatic events happen to you as a child that dominate your life for the rest of your life, that you never truly move past, if you get to look cool while obsessing over your traumas?" They would say no. That is Batman.

"-but you become the richest guy in the world and have the power of infinite intelligent contingency plans while masquerading as a playboy but secretly hanging out with super heroes and saving the world"

no, quite the opposite. Most tend to create their moral codes, and people claiming them to be amoral don't understand what the word actually means and confuse it with impartial.

"But you hate yourself and wish you were dead through all of that and are incapable of enjoying it and develop serious paranoia that drives you to plot ways to torture all of your so called friends"