Who's the greatest "fictional" detective?

who's the greatest "fictional" detective?
based on canon feats and from their own series

Attached: who.jpg (611x808, 553K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ&t=2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

also, I want a full live action movie about batman and detective chimp
The comics where they are together are delightful

Attached: BM_SF_01_1_TT_5bd3d0996c9240.85279285-600x923.jpg (600x923, 150K)

>current Batman
>detective
Pick one and only one

>L the supergenius can't figure out that if you can control someone to write a letter before they die you could control them to walk into traffic

Attached: lunge.jpg (640x480, 101K)

Detective Chimp, obviously.

>Detective Chimp, despite his great skills, can have his spirit broken and isn't as compulsively driven as the others
>L died
>Holmes is batwank siphoned from Batman straight into his veins
The obvious choice is Batman. He's a detective and a dozen other things and has made a mockery of gods and saved Earth, the universe, and the multiverse on several occasions.

Attached: metronchair2.jpg (967x1079, 388K)

At least use a better version of Sherlock Holmes.

Not that holmes
this user gets it

>come to Yea Forums
>thread about the greatest detective
>the options are nothing but rookies, jimbombos and wannabes
I really feel bad for you guys

Attached: 324.jpg (677x404, 63K)

I remember that guy. Didn't he type with his hands so he could write shit on his brain or something?

At least Tomasi seems to be fixing this in his current run in Detective Comics.

Batman isn't a detective

He just steals evidence from crime scenes to put into his computer so it can tell him who to punch

t. riddler

Yes, he mimed typing as a memory aid.

>2 detectives, the Batman and a bullshit artist whose only difference from Dr. Strange is that one has a beard and a cape

Use a better version of Holmes

Zenigata

Hercule Poirot

Attached: Ducktective.webm (1280x720, 1012K)

Why is chimp on this list ?

Is Clouseau Yea Forums?

Attached: notdead.gif (413x174, 1.84M)

the problem with writing smart characters is that the people writing them arent

-some guy that one time

Not even best Holmes.
youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ&t=2s

Attached: sherlock holmes in the 22nd century.jpg (315x445, 48K)

L is a fucking retard.

Detective Chimp is the best ever, not only because deductive reasoning, but also because he can talk to all animals and hence can have the most outrageous witnesses.

I love that watson is a cyborg for no goddam reason other than it's the future

Superior Holmes coming through.

Attached: b936f923ed747ad527858b42886a1955.jpg (539x411, 30K)

>L
>Not Near

Attached: smug.jpg (667x495, 63K)

>welcome to the future sherlock, you've been frozen for hundreds of years
>watson's been dead for that long as well
>so we just uploaded his personality into this robot
And now you know.

Well if we're throwing L's hat in the ring I think it's only fair that we put in this kid.
tfw no Batman/Detective Conan crossover where they team up to solve a crime and Batman promises to help Jimmy/Shinichi get his original body back.

Attached: 1550973136542.png (261x273, 137K)

I never really thought of Near OR Mellow as really as smart as L. Maybe it's just because I started paying less attention after L's death but I feel like Near benefited a LOT from Light getting a lot less cautious. He enlisted the help of people who he couldn't fully control and he put himself in situations where he was increasingly open to suspicion.

I thought this was gonna be a joke but you are objectively correct

I've always hated that people consider Light smarter than L. Light had a Death Note, which is the perfect weapon. It can kill someone anywhere anytime without leaving any trace. He had such a huge fucking advantage.

Anyone in fiction with time travel powers could be the greatest detective if they wanted to.
They just have to travel back to roughly when the crime was committed and take a picture, firsthand evidence on demand.

But they don't.

Attached: How Droll.jpg (320x320, 20K)

Light only killed L because of nepotism. L was on to him from the start.

That too. Light has a huge advantage. The Death Note, his dad, Misa. Its stupid to think he's smarter than the detective that was on to him.

A big part of Light taking out L was also just in his luck of having Misa on his side, who he could manipulate 100% and later manipulate her shinigami

This. Classic Holmes and Brett Holmes are best.

>Has enough knowledge of cultures and art to determine the smallest of things out of place
>Actually uses disguises, generally with a simple plan in place in order to find even more information
>Considers the concept of superstition stupid, because anything can be possible under the proper lense
>Is so indifferent and unbiased to people that the only woman he ever admired was because of how she outsmarted him

Accept no substitutes.

He's smart, but isnt most of the evidence he finds is circumstantial? He's lucky all the suspects admitted to their crimes.

his autistic

Attached: backseat.jpg (550x469, 75K)

Actually the robot in the pilot was originally just a generic monotone robot with a robot face.

Then as kind of a fucked up joke, Detective Lestrade reprogrammed him to start talking, acting, and thinking of himself as Watson.

The following episode was even about how Holmes abhorred the mockery it made of his partner before, generically, coming to accept it.

Thinking about it, it actually did it pretty well for the show it was.

Lunge true bro detective

Pretty good point. I think he benefits from doing it under the guise of a well established detective with a good track record already. Otherwise most people would probably just opt to go to court.

Wait, when did Dum Dum Dugan become Watson?

There are better detectives in-universe than Shinichi you idiot

>Detective Chimp is the best ever

And you are basing this claim on what exactly ?

A new challenger steps up to battle

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 7K)

together they couldn't catch Lupin

wrong image, meant poirot

Attached: download (1).jpg (301x167, 10K)

>t. has never read real batman comics
>the absolute state of Yea Forums

Modern batman comics are just terrible fan fictions with flanderized characters and oc selfinserts

Attached: IMG_1228.jpg (900x1415, 177K)

>couldn't avoid compromising his moral code in the worst way
Went out like a bitch.

Why do people pretend like this series was good ?

Attached: GREATEST DETECTIVE.jpg (654x295, 57K)

>solves cases better than real detectives

Attached: IMG_1229.jpg (1200x800, 148K)

about when is the cut off point of when Batman stops being crime mystery and detective stories and becomes more about just punching guys in macguffins and gadgets of the day?

I really would love to see the greatest detective act like it.

Attached: 1460338166558.jpg (796x1004, 127K)

Columbo

Just read 70s-90s comics + the DCAU batman comic tie-ins like Batman Adventures and Gotham Adventures

They are really kino

Conan's the only one with enough cases to even approach Batman's, and even with like 800 episodes he doesn't touch 75+ years of constant publication.

There is no level of pure bullshit that Batman hasn't managed at some point.

Attached: Detective-Conan-detective-conan-6244230-1024-768.jpg (1024x768, 204K)

>kino
Speak human, not Yea Forumstard.

Gosho is freakin dying, he's been taking several months of break every 4 chapters for a couple of years now

I appropriated the term kino and made it universal

Which one would be able to catch Light before Light could figure out their name? Sherlock Holmes obviously is disqualified by default

Attached: I'LL TAKE A POTATO CHIP.png (853x480, 309K)

You're an AIDS-spreader.

Batman. Anyone saying otherwise is just a batman hater, batman is canon the world greatest detective, so sadly no amount of butthurt can change that

None of them.
>Holmes doesn't use an alias
>Detective Chimp is a known member of Mensa and his name is easily available
>Batman's disguise only works because the thick smog that leaves Gotham dark 18 hours of the day is filled with lead and causes brain damage

L worked because L was a complete unknown down to his appearance. No one whose name is known or easily found out can deal with a Deathnote in the hands of someone with a 3 digit IQ

>t. Heiji

He's German

Assuming Light isn't effected by the Batman curse that makes him mentally retarded, it would be pretty easy to figure out hes Bruce Wayne.

A big part of why Light had to change his plans was because Misa was captured

Never watched Death Note so I don't know how it works. Does it need to be the person's real, true name or can it just be the name that they're most known by? Because coherently writing Bobo's real name would probably take some doing

>Not posting the truly superior holmes

Attached: sherlock-holmes-in-the-22nd-century-ss1.jpg?itok=R4hcUxwl.jpg (320x180, 10K)

I personally think the disconnect between a rich celebrity and someone like batman would be a bigger barrier to overcome than people expect.

Real name and you need to know how the persons face looks like.

Real name and their face

Their OG name (first and last names, middle names don't seem to matter)
Monkeys don't have names in the wild, so his OG name would be "Bobo Chimpanzee"
Batman would be Bruce Wayne, despite the whole "Batman is his real identity" thing.
Legal name changes and aliases are worthless.

The best people for dealing with a DN are people who've had an identity change without a paper work trail. The only way they can be caught is if a DN holder cuts their lifespan in half to see people's names

You're slow

but that one was already posted. even linked in the post you quoted.

Eyes and fucking brains, man.

Also, fuck this thread, I looked up that damn series again. It really did have some decent potential but really lost on a few points.

thanks.

Does that mean Joker is immune?

The original Sherlock from the books was even more of a wizard than cucumberbach.

No one is immune, but it would be extremely difficult to get him with a DN. You'd have to figure out which of his gazillion backstories is real and find out who he was before he was the Joker. He had a name at some point.

So yeah, someone like the Joker is prime anti-Death Note material

I have never claimed to be a smart or perceptive man

Joker is honestly better suited to go against Light than Batman since he doesn't have a civilian life to maintain too. People figure out who Batman is in his own universe all the time

another option would be cut half of your lifespan and gain shinigami eyes.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier, but Light was vehemently against it and the guy who started this conversation asked specifically about Light so I've tried to tailor my answers around that.
Honestly someone who ISN'T Light would be a more terrifying opponent. Light only got noticed because he wanted to be. Imagine if you were just mass slaughtering people and making it look like accidents or natural causes instead

He also benefited hugely from L's previous work. He went in knowing about Death Notes and Gods of Death. L went in not believing in anything supernatural and denied it until it was right in front of him.

>batman works primarily in gotham
>is a healthy tall buff white man
>has to have access to huge funds to have his own jetfighter and tanks
>dedicated his life to beating up criminals for some reason
narrows it down to literally just bruce wayne

Does Near have ANY fans at all? He's literally a poor man's L.

Also a perfect cover-up would be to just kill some president, making them bomb some of their own cities before that. After shit like this, nobody would even think about Kira.

Death notes don't do collateral killings

There's no reason to assume the man wearing the mask can't be funded by someone else

He's more fleshed out in the manga. Not a lot more, but enough to make him kind of interesting compared to the blank slate in the anime.

Where's Patrick Jane?

Then why did he catch light when L couldn't?

Cause Light had already blown his Shinigami trump card. It literally took a Shinigami committing suicide to get L

Mon negre

Lupin's a master disguise, A fantastic painter and counterfeiter, smarter than he looks, a good shot, quick on his feet and has a skilled team of helpers that are all amazing at what they do.

I'd say sherlock holmes. The robert downey jr. one, of course.

Attached: robert downey jr sherlock holmes.jpg (1280x705, 110K)

Pretty much. Even with all these factors, Near had to basically call in all the chips he had in order to trap Light where they needed. Even sacrificing Mellow along the way. He's smart, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's currently on L's level.

>Batman's disguise only works because the thick smog that leaves Gotham dark 18 hours of the day is filled with lead and causes brain damage

Attached: 1547839108282.gif (500x281, 1.4M)

That actually brings up an interesting question. Like say you write cause of death as "caught in a large explosion" Would the person you wrote down simply be the only person who died despite the explosion radius because he was the only one written about. Because Light usually just goes for the default "heart attack" we never get to see how much influence on the outside world the death note has. It's like the ONLY thing the shitty netflix movie explored that was interestng

>Holmes is batwank siphoned from Batman straight into his veins

???

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8xNzYvNTI1L29yaWdpbmFsL2FsZnJlZF8xc3QuanBn.jpg (788x1080, 335K)

there's not much of a point in comparing their "greatness." all these detectives have different skills and knowledge which would make them better prepared/suitable for different situations.

except that chimp can do everything batman can but without all his technological batshit.

OP forgets the world's greatest detective.

Attached: Columbo.png (610x457, 396K)

No he doesn't. He did a fucking dream arc. God I hate fanboys.

>Stop liking what I don't like!!!

Oddly enough, yes, there are “The Inspector” cartoons that are pretty much Clouseau in everything but name.

That’s not Jeremy Brett.

A legal-age shota who can solve crime. I think Batman just found a new Robin.

Poirot is only a valid option if everyone else in the universe is as compulsive obsessive about checking the time as he is.

A well-written Light vs. Batman story could actually be really fucking awesome, but it's hard to imagine Light wouldn't figure out he's Bruce Wayne eventually.

I was about to say "Friend, let me tell you about a little thing called Netflix" before I read your spoiler text lol

For the Batwank win:
>Light spends all his time trying to find out Batman's identity
>Batman is spending his time trying to find out who's killing, how, where they are, etc.
>Batman tracks down Light via high tech shit and Batwank
>As Batman is infiltrating Light's house to catch him, Light finds out Batman's identity.
>Light writes "Bruce Wayne" in the Death Note as basic barricades slow batman down for 40 seconds.
>Light counts down 3...2...1 as Batman bursts through the door
>Batman doesnt die, Light is confused and starts freaking out as he is one to do
>Batman beats him up
>Light asks how, he was certain that Batman was Bruce Wayne
>Batman's inner monologue: "Bruce Wayne died with his parents. Bruce doesn't disguise himself as Batman. Batman disguises himself as Bruce"

Hell, he already uses gadgets to solve crimes. I wonder what those super shoes would do if he actually kicked someone with it. Then again, Concn's not exactly the "boy wonder" type. He's about as strong as a small child who kinda plays soccer would be.

Is there any good detective characters at Marvel?

Nah, Batman would do something like stop his heart on purpose right before the Death Note takes effect, then have someone revive him.

Here's a question. Would Light have to figure out Conan is actually Jimmy/Shinichi? Because if he does then Conan stands a pretty good cance to find him. The issue being that it's very rare that Conan solves the crime himself. Light could easily kill Moore so Conan would have to pursue Light on his own and that might actually be difficult. So it's mostly down to Conan finding out how the killing is done, singling Light out and somehow managing to capture Light in his youthful body without endangering his friends. Outside of his own body, he's not very used to anything unrealistic so I'm not even sure he'd be open to the idea of a Death Note so Conan might not be able to catch him.

Attached: 1550975395815.png (700x700, 785K)

This is the holmiest Holmes i've ever seen. And i saw a lot of them. Also, the remarkable calm raspy voice of a true British gentleman. And it's not even English.

Keying memories to other stimuli is a useful memory aid

Batman 66.

or that he isn't a government agent

Attached: Picture_2_400x400.png (400x400, 313K)

nah, we would find out that bruce is not his real name due some shit, setting the plot for the next chapters, except that they will forgot about it

Not even death could stop this crazy motherfucker.

Attached: lj.png (1231x512, 840K)

There are a lot of people shitting on L here, but let's not forget that his opponent had every advantage. His opponent literally had the rule book. And then new rules would be introduced just to keep him ahead. Global murders were happening on an unprecedented scale, and L was like "That Japan district."

Magic wasn't known in his world, and he still fucking kicked its ass.