Destin Daniel Cretton Marvel’s Choice To Direct ‘Shang-Chi’

> EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios is setting Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi, its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. Cretton is directing Just Mercy, a film he wrote that stars Brie Larson and Michael B. Jordan.

> This is in keeping with the studio’s goal to take Shang-Chi in a direction like Black Panther and populate it with Asian-American talent.

Attached: Capturegg.png (977x462, 384K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/209436071
slashfilm.com/black-widow-director-lucrecia-martel-marvel-action-scenes/
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/12/crazy-rich-asians-china-box-office/577282/
youtu.be/gEMEGc4uDKE
youtube.com/watch?v=8nh6aXeO_E0
youtube.com/watch?v=MJ_vWRtpLJQ
reuters.com/article/us-china-japan-specialreport/special-report-why-chinas-film-makers-love-to-hate-japan-idUSBRE94O0CJ20130525
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bold of them to move forward with this. It's going to be a bigger flop than Captain Marvel.

Who?
Seriously, I have no idea who this character is.

>hire boring indie director instead of Chinese Martial Arts filmmaker for your 70s Brucesploitation character
>but it's fine because he's Asian and buddies with Carol and Killmonger

Sounds cool, and it's nice they're bringing in lots of Asian talent

This is the chance to finally do justice to this guy. Maybe he can be Shang-Chi’s father.

Attached: DF1C39F4-6857-4C81-BB33-41F672318D3B.jpg (688x943, 124K)

Anything with the Marvel logo slapped on it will do well. It's the McDonalds of movies.

>It's going to be a bigger flop than Captain Marvel.
I know right. How will Marvel ever recover

Attached: giphy (3).gif (245x320, 1.55M)

I remember all those lost afternoons reading Shang Chi comics at my buddy's house. We'd finish the new issue and talk about how cool it would be if they made a Shang Chi movie. My inner child is trembling with excitement.

Really hope Lewis Tan gets the role.
vimeo.com/209436071

Generic Bruce Lee rip off just like Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat.

>disney money to make a wuxia kung fu flick
user, do you understand that they can hire anybody and everybody previously involved in big king fu productions? It might not end up being great, but it will probably at least be watchable, and the Chinese market will print money.

Attached: slap.jpg (1032x774, 154K)

The director never did an action movie before. The action scenes will likely be as bad as Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

they should have gotten Timo Tjahjanto

>and the Chinese market will print money.
I'm not 100% sure about that, China like Kung Fu but only when they are movies made in China and following a specific ,darker style

The most sucessful american movies are always live action movies with fresh worldbuilding like Aquaman and Ready Player one, China want new stuff.

Baiting used to mean something

I am an interpreter, and every time I saw "shang chi" I cringe because that literally doesn't make sense. I say this every time I catch shang chi thread why doesn't anybody listen? Why are they picking up this character? Why isn't anybody checking it with someone who actually speak Chinese?

What's wrong with Shang Chi?

Explain

Let it go, user.

Just let it go.

Hmm, that makes sense. They might switch to a new director and go for a darker style in future movies.

I was hoping they would make that movie eventually but who knows if it will be good now.

Really says something when Based Marvel is making fucking Shag-Chi a household name and DC can't even get people interested in Batman

Marvel has ""in-house"" action choreographers for that.
There was a situation where they approached a director for Black Widow who got turned off when they said they'd "take care" of all the action sequences.
Shang-Chi probably won't be a martial arts movie.

This is really concerning. Hopefully they hire someone else to do the fight choreography.

上氣 is not a name, is not a title, and it doesn't literally mean "rising spirit" in Chinese. It doesn't read like a name, unless you substitute some other word with the same pronunciation with something more poetic. Its sort of like if you see "top air" or "top gas" in English as a character's name. It is not how these two words are typically being use in a pair, unless you are using it like 上氣不接下氣 (inhale doesn't connect with lower exhale, meaning can't catch one's breath), but it doesn't have appropriate meaning. In general its just too plain in terms of word choices for names. shang , for example, consider using 尚, which have various meaning in this context , and can be a surname. Chi, or Qi, consider , 器, or 契, or if wanting for some intrigue, 棄, which wouldn't be proper name, but can be very wuxia.

I was going to bring that up too.

>slashfilm.com/black-widow-director-lucrecia-martel-marvel-action-scenes/

She immediately saw it as sexism, but it reads more to me as Marvel Studios doesn't want the directors getting too creative; they want everything to fit the boring House Style.

They're specifically aiming away from stereotypical 70's Kung-fu stereotypes regardless.

they really want those china bux, huh?

I am not the biggest fan of MCU or Marvel in general, but PLEASE don't fuck this up Feige

Attached: Ramsey Face.png (434x469, 329K)

Literally over 21 amazing movies and you think he's going to somehow fuck up the 25th?

First off, amazing is subjective
Secondly, it's very easy to fuck it up. Crazy Rich Asians was a fucking cringe fest to actual Asians and I don't want to see Crazy Rich Asians: MCU edition

Action scenes are very complex. Pre-planning them based on script notes before directors get brought in is an common Hollywood practice. Particularly since Kevin Feige likes hiring up-and-coming/indie directors with little action experience.

Directors are still allowed to add their touches to it. The Russos, James Gunn and Ryan Coogler all have very different action styles that shine through their scenes.

>Literally 2 ok movies and a bunch of mediocre trash
Fixed

Boo. I want Shaw brothers level of stupid bullshit.

Man Imagine if they could have gotten Shaw brothers.

Shaw Brothers haven't had a good film since 1996

>Marvel has ""in-house"" action choreographers for that.
Yes they were responsible for the cringe fight scenes in Black Panther.

And let's not forget Widow's AMAZING hair fu.

What would Shang Chi mean?

>Shang-Chi probably won't be a martial arts movie.
NO NO NO NO NO WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT THEN
NOBODY READS SHANG-CHI FOR THE SOCIAL COMMENTARY OR FOR HIS ROMANTIC LIFE

This will bomb fucking hard unless it adopts weeb/anime aesthetics or katana and samurais and ninjas and shit . Asian Americans literally have zero culture that can make them look interesting and cool.

sorry to break it to you bud, but chinese people don't just watch things because there are chinese people in it.

Yup, not like black people that will watch anything with a black person in it.

Marvel wanted Kung-Fu with David Carradine, didn't get it, ended up just creating their own hapa character

Case in point:
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/12/crazy-rich-asians-china-box-office/577282/
>Crazy Rich Asians Tanked in China—But That’s Okay
kek the state of these "journalists"

So nobody is happy

Black people aren't happy because we love that throwback shit, Chinese aren't happy because it'll star a bunch of Koreans and Japs because roundeyes in Hollywood don't know the difference and white people aren't happy because they're never happy

Honestly I think black people would rather see that kung fu shit than actual black people. I don't know why but niggas love them some wushu.

Honestly hope it goes the wuxia where humans are capable of achieving superhuman feats through the practice of martial arts. Basically something like Gosu or Peerless Dad would be great.

Can confirm

We love seeing Kung Fu, Niggas doing Kung fu, and shows that are basically stage plays in that order

I cant believe theyre making a Shang Chi film. Who the FUCK gives a shit about Shang chi?

They should probably just play it strait, since it's they're bound to anger somebody. Honestly I'm glad something experimental as this is getting mad since you can please the masses with a Kung-fu movie.

>That bit with Kareem in Game of Death

so cool.

>Black Panther
You mean billion dollar, 3 time oscar winning, cultural phenomenon Black Panther?

Why does it feel like this was the only option they had upon realizing Iron Fist was fucking wasted?

Attached: The Iron Fist.jpg (900x1366, 163K)

It's just weird because Kung Fu films were pretty popular in the west for a while too. Jackie Chan especially.

>cultural phenomenon

Yes stallion, but they want to cash hard in China, they gotta upgrade the action sequences.

It honestly didn't deserve those Oscars. Especially not over Avengers: Infinity War. Those were just petty wins that the Oscars gave to Black Panther to satisfy the black viewers after their claims of lack of black nominations.

It's simple really
>Kung Fu movies are all action, black people like action a la Blackploitation films
>Kung Fu movies often has some sort of revenge plot people can dig
>Kung Fu movies often come to the states as cheap bootlegs, so black people can afford them
>Kung Fu movies often has some themes around fighting against authority, taking on corrupt government officials and whatnots
>Kung Fu movies can have white people as villains, outright caricature whitey villains
Same reason it's appealing to Hispanic people. If you have El Rey, that channel devotes like 40% of its time airing Kung Fu movies.

Other than Jimmy Woo, there ain't really any other potential Chinese character that they can base a movie on. Can do a kung-fu movie with Shang Chi but can't with Jimmy Woo. Jimmy Woo is more of a James Bond type but Shang Chi can also do that too given his character history.

Lewis Tan is such a shit actor, get him away from this.

He just fucked up on the 21st, and somehow managed to retroactively cheapen some of the best of the previous 20.

Plus all them fly ass Chinese honies

I get it that they want to exploit the chinese market, but doesnt Marvel own a bigger or better chinese character?

>Ryan Coogler
>action styles that shine through their scenes.
Kek

> literally the only Asian Marvel protagonist is a kung-fu master
At least Black Panther had them being a hyper-advanced country, this is just taking blatant stereotypes and building a character around them.

Man of mystery right here

Attached: Ant-Man_and_the_Wasp_162.jpg (1920x802, 111K)

Amadeus Cho?

I really want cheesey kung fu action movies to come back. Just make a stupid token plot were some guy has to enter a tournament to get revenge on whomever and the rest writes itself.

Why not both?

Attached: kungfu.jpg (800x451, 55K)

There is nothing remarkable about black fantasy the movie.

Attached: dead man's grin.png (198x198, 76K)

Attached: images (15).jpg (743x413, 25K)

Sure, that too

Name any big name Chinese character for Western comic books

He's Korean

Attached: Big Show Doubting.jpg (640x640, 64K)

Well it's a movie about rich Singaporeans, not surprising that China hates it.

Shang-Chi, while D-list, isn't gated like Carol.

The general public likes Kung fu movies and as long as the action is good, the movie will do well.

You'd have to try hard to make a Bruce Lee knock-off flop.

I was trying to think on it recently and I can't really think of too many. Marvel seems to go right for Japan when it comes to Asians. DC has a bit more but even that tends to be more Asian American flavor.

Attached: 765221-765154_454687_batgirl15_super_super_super.jpg (261x497, 25K)

I mean prime shaw brothers. Crippled Avengers Shaw brothers

Most of that stuff you mention is more in Iron Fist's lane (which is why I wish he got the movie instead of the trash low budget show)

Shang-Chi is more Kung fu meets espionage

So it's a Mortal Kombat quality name. Gotcha.

The asian agent in Antman 2 was gay, give him a movie to double the diversity points.

Reminds of the "Captain Marvel is bad, but that's fine" article.

New Superman

Could be cool but I'm worried it's just gonna be filled with second generation Asian immigrant whining.

Cass is half-white. Same can be said about Rose, but she isn't really the kung-fu type like Cass is.

Attached: cass destroy barbs.jpg (1200x1817, 264K)

For a loooong time the only way to see a movie in the states that wasn't entirely cast by white actors was kung-fu films.

BP wins the awards for some technical stuff anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it, even Infinity War got nominated over BP for the vfx

Kenan is good, but Kenan ain't getting a movie unless they chopped off massive bits about his parentage

>Kenan and Kal movie never

Americans think all asians culture are the same. Look at the Avatar cartoon.

>I cant believe theyre making a Guardians of the Galaxy film. Who the FUCK gives a shit about the Guardians of the Galaxy?

>I cant believe theyre making an Ant-Man film. Who the FUCK gives a shit about Ant-Man?

>I cant believe theyre making a Doctor Strange film. Who the FUCK gives a shit about Doctor Strange?

There's also her mum.

Attached: Shiva.jpg (1271x1920, 271K)

>tfw no Kenan Kino

Because that's exactly what happened. Fiege has talked about wanting to make an Iron Fist movie for so long (2010 MTV interview where he says IF was in development as long as Dr. Strange, Ant-Man and GotG, all who got movies)

Jeph Loeb probably announced Iron Fist for Netflix, and since Marvel TV isn't in sync with Marvel Studios, it probably caught Fiege off guard and he had to use Shang-Chi instead.

Sad because Iron Fist would fit the movie format better.

For better and for worse

Attached: Kenan What Is Even Going on.png (459x593, 327K)

>The director never did an action movie before.
That's why you bring in a separate fight choreographer, you ninny.

Yes but they haven't mentioned a fight choreographer so all we have to judge right now is director. And it's the directors job to provide the context of the fights.

Damnit I want this so bad now

I didn't know the choreography was what was bad about them.

Why act like it's just black people? A white guy who would rate a Chuck Norris flick over Bruce Lee is a damn idiot.

I thought Disney was desperately trying to be diverse. The guy is Hawaiian, not Asian. How is this shit allowed? That guy doesn't understand Asian culture, why should he direct a movie with an Asian character then? Ugh, I just can't even

>Bruce Lee>Jackie Chan>Jean Claude Van Damme>Chuck Norris>Getting kicked by all the aforementioned in the nuts>twice>With a wing tip>that has a nail on it>And then they go fuck your wife>Steven Segal

Remember all the literal SJWs who got mad over Danny Rand being white in the TV series?

Don't let Steve hear you say that

Attached: Seagal A Good man.webm (1280x720, 2.78M)

Nah, fuck that. Jackie's movies are definitely above Lee's films

Attached: bruce laugh.gif (242x270, 1.38M)

Americans think all asians are all thr same.

Just walk away from him. He'll never catch up to you with all the jump cuts.

This
More entertaining
Bigger spectacles
More fun

>I can't believe a white character is white!!

Unironically that guy who played the drunken guard in season 1 would've been a better Danny Rand.

I have zero problems with a predominantly-Asian kung fu movie that happens to be part of the MCU. It's not like Asian cultures lack long-established film industries that put out cool stuff.

youtu.be/gEMEGc4uDKE
This popped into my head as I was reading this thread, and now I want Black Label Society music for all the fight scenes, and all the fight scenes to be brutal as hell. It'll never happen, but it'd definitely make the movie different.

> Sad because Iron Fist would fit the movie format better.
Feige will just reboot Iron Fist in the films and say the Tv show was non canon.

>The director never did an action movie before. The action scenes will likely be as bad as Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

Yeah, this could be a problem. I only want to see this if it's up to the standards of HK kung fu films and happens to be Marvel.

I think it's less about that and more about the whole "Great white savior" thing.

A bigger mistake for Loeb than it was a setback for Feige, I'd wager. They figured they would take all these associated streey-level heroes and make TV shows out of them, without thinking about the effects budget needed to make Iron-Fist work, and then they got so drunk on the success of Daredevil, they let that visual style inform all the rest of their Netflix shows.They painted themselves into a corner, and it was going to be a screw-up even if they hadn't cast a non-buff, doughy, curly-haired, pouty, scrunch-faced non-martial artist for the role. Feige on the other hand, has eperience turning obsure characters into million dollar properties, he'll be fine.

Shit man, I'd accept up to the standards of a RZA kung fu film

Some Hawaiian indie guy directing makes me think I'm not even going to get that

With so little information, the safe assumption is that Marvel's in-house team will be covering the martial arts sequences.

>The director never did an action movie before
So did the Russos before Winter Soldier

RZA is at the very very least a genuine fan of the genre

What Russo bro would you kiss in the forehead?

Some white saviors movies get a free pass, I wonder why

Attached: unnamed.jpg (313x470, 78K)

Well Moon Knight might still happen

Attached: Mr Knight, Moon Knight.jpg (1024x1910, 642K)

>Crippled Avengers Shaw brothers
Marvel Studios Crippled Avengers, starring War Machine, Doctor Strange, and the Hulk in a wheelchair that he moves at Mach 1 with his vast upper body strength.

And they have no concept of power balance

Shitty action scenes confirmed

Fuck, I am not surprised and don't blame Feige for avoiding any association with Loeb or Loeb's dumpster fires. I am also sure that's why he won't touch Inhumans for a long ass time.

All we can do is pray to Khonshu for that day.

Hopefully they play up the crazy aspect of Moon Knight.

Attached: 1520434122675.jpg (1988x3056, 1.6M)

The thing is though, they need to get a highly skilled actor who can switch personalities on the fly, and we're probably going to get Khonshu as an extradimensional alien who works through Marc. How does one even explain "The Blessing of Khonshu" as a power? Furthermore, don't expect Bushman, at all

Attached: Khonshu Moon Knight.jpg (960x580, 179K)

mediocre and ok are the same thing, you fucking faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=8nh6aXeO_E0

They already got someone like that on Marvel. And if that isn't an option, just get Christian Bale.

Bale will never do another comic book movie ever again.

They can't use RDJ for that, genius.

Who is this character?

I want Jeffery Combs to do his voice.

Cope harder.

>Asian-American talent.

In other words, appealing to americans who’ve never left California or NY, but consider themselves asians.

I was thinking Ian McShane
youtube.com/watch?v=MJ_vWRtpLJQ

Reminder that Moon Knight is one of the only superheroes that gets along with The Punisher.

Attached: CF84731D-23F1-4E9A-847C-19B0A07878B9.jpg (647x997, 246K)

Attached: 7102F5D4-8C22-4555-9073-BBB19DE87503.jpg (621x956, 257K)

So they've got Black Widow, Shang-Chi and The Eternals for their Phase 4 slot
What's next?

This faggot better be good at directing action.

user i can count on one hand the MCU movies worth watching even one time, let alone two.

Iron Man.

Avengers.

Winter Soldier.

Civil War.

Infinity War.

Thats it.

>Helmut Snead

That's my hope as well. I really disliked the Netflix portrayals of Danny, Luke, Misty, etc.

>whole "Great white savior" thing.

Danny literally leaves Kun Lun

If you believe the rumors, it's

>Black Widow (May 1, 2020)
>The Eternals (November 6, 2020)

>Black Panther 2 (February 12, 2021)
>Doctor Strange 2 (May 7, 2021)
>Shang-Chi (November 5, 2021)

>Captain Marvel 2 (February 18, 2022)
>Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 6, 2022)
>Untitled Project (July 29, 2022)

Subjected to change depending on when Marvel and Sony set up their third Spider-Man movie.

Attached: Phase 4.jpg (2500x1250, 98K)

I disagree, because Buck and whoever did Season 2 would've handled him horribly regardless of who they cast.

>Shang-Chi probably won't be a martial arts movie.
Then what's the fucking point

>In other words, appealing to americans who’ve never left California or NY, but consider themselves asians.

That would be the obvious failure mode, yes: only Affirmative Action Americans, no foreign talent who know how to make an awesome kung fu movie.

China would fucking freak dude

>China loves capeshit
>Chinese Superman is actually good
IT'S FINNA TIME DC

So that makes him a faggot?

It would never be allowed to play unless they heavily changed nearly everything

>created Jean Claude Van-Johnson
SOLD! TAKE MY MONEY!

>Captain Marvel
>Flop
Based and red-pilled, user

The writer, you mean
That's your prerogative but scripts are unfortunately on of the most minor parts of these movies

Good riddance, Shitterstar.

>>Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 6, 2022)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, he created and produced the show. He's been doing a lot of other scripts like Spider-Verse 2 and WW 2. But JCVJ he created and produced

The writer of this movie, you mean
Because this thread is about the director

I don't care it's going to be fucking cool

Does no one like kung fu flicks anymore? I think there's a market for it.

Godfrey Ho doing this would be fucking amazing but I doubt anyone knows how to reach him.

Attached: ninja_strike_force.jpg (480x360, 9K)

oh, sorry, I guess I missread. still hyped

Go watch "Ninja Terminator" on youtube, the full version
And come back and say that shit again.

Attached: ninja_terminator.jpg (300x449, 48K)

>上氣 is not a title
They could make 上极 a title or a discipline

Who cares why are you worried about retarded shit like skin color
clean out yo spooks

Most Singaporeans are mainland Chinese.

What would you guys think about the movie taking place mostly in South or Central America?

As an Asian who loves Colombian women I would very much welcome it

What’s DC then?
The Wendy’s?

Attached: shazam's marketing.jpg (2009x1844, 1.59M)

I like Shang-Chi so I'm cautiously optimistic
It can't let me down harder than Iron Fist did

Sure it can. They can miscast Shang-Chi like they miscast Carol Danvers. Or have the same problem Iron-Fist had with its terrible choreography.

>>I think it's less about that and more about the whole "Great white savior" thing.
I never fucking understood this. Even in the original Iron Fist comics, he doesnt stay to "save" them, he fucking ditches them and just shits around in New York. Thats not a great white savior, he didnt solve any of their problems.

I really don't understand Marvel's roadmap anymore. It's like they are choosing characters that have no relevant stories.

Can't wait until they get their first latino hero to wear a sombrero and ride around Los Angeles with his trusty chihuahua sidekick while they defeat enemies with abuela's chancla.

Disney is pretty much certain that any Marvel movie will print money I think.

Sounds like the America series

user, being relevant in comics means jack shit now, they need new characters to adapt for the old ones to phase out.

Yeah, what a terrible mis-step with Brie Larson. That movie is totally going down in flames as a disaster. I mean, LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE SCORE, amiright hahaha!

Attached: Captain Marvelous.png (1673x814, 454K)

I can’t believe they will really film D list comic characters when they still have popular acts like Hulk, Scarlett Witch, etc, popular characters from the Netflix universe and in a few months the Fantastic Four and the whole Xmen lineup

Why even bother adapting characters no one knows about? Just make shit up on the spot

Yeah, why do D list characters like GoTG, what a waste. This is literally the best thing to happen to superhero movies.

Look up all the different mandarin words that might loosely be “Shang” or “Chi” when made to be English, and basically pick your favorite. Mandarin is a very contextual and tonal language, so many words sound the same, and many of those words have multiple meanings.

Chinese nationals weren’t the target audience. The movie was made specifically to appeal to American sensibilities and obsessions with wealth, while letting Asian westerners get a chance to see people like them on screen. Again, it was never targeted towards Asian nationals, which is why it tanked in China and Singapore.

Can't do Hulk solo movies. Don't have the rights to Fantastic Four and X-men yet and will take a while to set things up once they acquire the rights.

It didn't tank in Singapore though

Has he ever directed a martial arts movie before? WHAT THE FUCK DOES HIM BEING ASIAN HAVE TO DO WITH HIS ABILITY TO MAKE A MARTIAL ARTS FLICK?!

Imagine thinking the fasted growing racial group in the country wouldn’t be a great audience to try and appeal to directly, especially considering they just single handedly bankrolled a movie with an all Asian cast that basically flopped outside America.

Sorry, you’re right it did okay. It tanked in Malaysia though.

Marvel doesn't have to make movies about their most well-known characters (although Iron Fist is of one of the less well-known of the more well-known) and within like a ten year period. They can make movies for a longer period of time than that and it's easier to do it that way.

GoTG was sold as a big part of the Thanos storyline, same with Captain Marvel. Both failed to deliver that

No idea why Antman 2 “bombed” since the hype was also based only on what it meant for the endgame storyline

Only did indie drama films. Its expect when Marvel hired a black person for Black Panther, a woman for Captain Marvel, and attempted to hire a woman for Black Widow. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to hire a crazy person for Moon Knight, a black British person for Blade and etc.

>reuters.com/article/us-china-japan-specialreport/special-report-why-chinas-film-makers-love-to-hate-japan-idUSBRE94O0CJ20130525
marvel film about Chinese Communist hero killing hundreds of Japanese soldiers in WWII when

Cause no one cares for Antman

I was hoping for Jackie Chan to direct,,,
Does this keaj more CM Punk Shang-Chi comics.

The Manda-oh it's just on the DVD

this is how we know you're a shill or a mindless fanboy.

few of the movies are "amazing". they're fine. okay. good enough. but not AMAZING

we are not niggers

Yes. You telling me that Gone With the Wind and Titanic have good fight scenes?

This. In the categories it won over Infinity War, I'm calling bullshit. Whatever it did, IW did better. It just got Oscars because it did it with relatively more niggers. See: How 12 Years a Slave won its Oscars.

RISE OF THE MANDARIN MOVIE.

RDJ cameo at the end

>Godfrey Ho doing this would be fucking amazing
They wouldn't even need to shoot anything. He can do it using an unreleased filipino war film, a Taiwanese romantic comedy and some fights from a cheap Bruce Lee knock off from Hong Kong. All the budget he needs is some money to CGI Stan Lee's face on Richard Harrison talking on the Garfield phone.

It really isn't that bad some of it is amazing. The lighting fucking sucks so it's hard to tell. Go and watch the raw stunt work pre costumes. It's insane

It might be like 80s and 90s Jackie Chan-style fight and action scenes in an 80s Dolph Lungren movie fighting some people in some jungles or something.

I could see them doing quite a bit of 70s Shaw brothers inspired movies and mini-series in the future, though. They might want to bring in more characters in a historical setting hundreds or more years ago than what they want to do with Shang Ch though and they don't want to start rolling that out yet.

The equivalent of the 'Young Gods' (using a different name of course) will very likely be set up some time after characters from the Eternals are brought in.

I just want an action movie were people get smacked around without being obscured by shaking camera work and mountains of CGI.

At least Coogler did Creed so we at least knew he could direct a fight scene

And Fruitvale Station so we knew he could direct a nigga getting shot

>In the categories it won over Infinity War
So, none? Infinity War was only nominated for best vfx, while BP only won best costumes and music score

If chi is involved, expect superhuman martial arts antics to be involved, and thus plenty of CGI effects, especially if they make the whole Multiple Man ability a natural part of his power set.

Yes. This and the Eternals are being made because Marvel TV fucked up Iron Fist and Inhumans.

Is Iron Fist wasted? Isn't K'un L'un is a hidden city?

They can just have people hanging out there for quite a while before a person with Iron Fist powers leaves there and is revealed to the MCU and joins China Force or whatever.

Arbys

>best costumes

THAT'S what they won for?

At least I can see why SS got make-up with those weird ass monsters and hobo Enchantress.

It's not like the other nominees were any better

Attached: 3rw.png (504x136, 7K)

>Iron Fist can't use Kung Fu it's a problematic
>Shang Chi can't use Kung Fu it's a racist stereotype
It's all so tiresome

he did a tracking shot in Creed for an action scene and it was great. No idea why he didn't have a great action moment in BP. the waterfall fights could have been that but nope.

they want Asian-Americans

Man, I really should have brushed up on my simplified forms. I thought it was a esoteric form of 級. But it is actually 極. ("Chi" in the tai-Chi) That's an interesting take, because there are various fictional variation of Thai- Chi in more modern wuxia that this could fit into. I think this is workable title or school of martial art, although you might need to stretch it a bit because the more prevailing rendering of that word is "Ji".

Creed's final fight got a lot of praise for it's directing but while it was genuinely impressive how it was filmed, as a fight scene it was kind of boring.

who gives a shit? It's a product of the 70s and it's fun that way

>joins China Force or whatever

cringe

only teams I want to see Iron Fist on with is Heroes for Hire, New Avengers or Immortal Weapons

Shang-Chi, despite being D-list, is Marvel's biggest, most prominent Asian solo hero

Psylocke is with the X-Men, Amadeus Cho is a supporting cast character (and Amadeus Hulk is trash), Silk will never happen, and etc.

Shang-Chi at least had a good MoKF run in the 70s with his own supporting cast and villains

>and then they got so drunk on the success of Daredevil, they let that visual style inform all the rest of their Netflix shows

couldn't have said it better. They tried to make Danny angsty and broody for no reason, and his show suffered for it.

You can't ground Iron Fist in The Dark Knight levels of grittiness/"realism" otherwise all the appeal is gone

How do they not realise they are being incredibly racist? Why assume Asian=American know how to do an asian movie? Same stupid shit with Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

The only time a race should matter is if it is part of the characters physical traits but funny enough they manage to constantly raceswap with that shit, how has anyone not called these people out?

>couldn't have said it better. They tried to make Danny angsty and broody for no reason, and his show suffered for it.
>You can't ground Iron Fist in The Dark Knight levels of grittiness/"realism" otherwise all the appeal is gone
But the opposite was the issue though? They softened Danny's character up, to such a degree that they had to fundamentally change a lot of things about who he was to make him work.

Original Iron Fist was all about the killing. He came back to do a killing.

I don't like how we lump all Asians together. Asians hate other Asians.

>Marvel doesn't have to make movies about their most well-known characters

no one's arguing that

>(although Iron Fist is of one of the less well-known of the more well-known)

Luke Cage and Iron Fist got increased prominence throughout the early to mid 2000s due to stuff like New Avengers and Immortal Iron Fist. They were getting cartoon appearances and all the rest. I'd say they got to She-Hulk levels pre-shitty Netflix show era.

>They can make movies for a longer period of time than that and it's easier to do it that way.

I know, but what I'm saying is that Iron Fist lends himself to the big screen better. Flashy powers, cool lore, ninjas, dragons, likeable personality, strong female supporting cast (Daughters of the Dragon), Kun-Lun, etc.

Shang-Chi on the other can be pulled off on a TV budget. Not saying that's preffered, but he can. The fact that we are getting the opposite is pretty strange. I mean could you imagine Thor or Black Panther with a shitty, low budget show?

fucking agreed

hire a god damn martial arts director

It'll prob be like CA: Winter Soldier

Shang-Chi as an espionage type who does cool martial arts stuff

this will flop in mainland kek

tokusatsu action is one of the solutions to all asian actors. its pretty universal, doesnt really represent any country, but hey its not even a thing in the us and arrogant american companies and those heavily western centric sjws wont take them seriously.

>Asians hate other Asians
Eh, that depends on which part of Asia. They all hate the chinks, that's for sure.

Honestly Keanu Reeves would probably be a better director choice.

theres no need for racism user.

They hate hate it because its shit tier compared to thier movies about being rich themselves. So pretty much same thing will happen Shang Chi with its sub-par kung fu compared to the superior chinese ones that come out every year in China.