What's your opinion on quipping, not just in the mcu, in media in general

What's your opinion on quipping, not just in the mcu, in media in general

Attached: 1.jpg (600x338, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q3P9w28pM1M?t=8
io9.gizmodo.com/into-the-spider-verse-cut-a-popular-spider-ham-joke-for-1832015240
youtube.com/watch?v=E6SVzff6umQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In a non-serious fight it's fine, but not after something heavy. Since you used Cap we'll use him as an example. Just beat Batroc The Leaper? Quip away, you and Bucky beat down Tony and leave him lying there, no quips.

quippy characters should quip and quips have been a huge part of cape comics since the golden age.
Moviefaggots should be gassed.

Scarlett should have been naked since Iron Man 2

I'd rather take than then the awful "Improv to stumble into a funny line" so many other films do.

Fine in moderation.

I hate it for the most part. You can have funny moments but dont turn large portions of the movie into a stand up routine.

Quipping can be good when it's written well like pic related, but man when it's bad it's really fucking bad

Attached: 1552425735374.png (324x331, 180K)

not funny at all. superheroes arent comedians and shouldnt be funny

no fun allowed goddammit

Should be done moderately, if every fight had quips, they wouldn’t feel special

I hate how prevalent it's become. I blame the MCU for popularizing it. Now it seems like every major movie is full of quips. Even in scenes that should be serious, somber, or sad, characters quip and it just completely takes me out of it.

Speaking from an unfortunate amount of experience, trying to piss someone off as much as possible in a fight is effective at getting them to do stupid shit.

Quipping is both realistic and practical...as long as the person being quipped at is such a massive threat that any technique to get the slightest advantage would come into play or they haven't done anything too heinous where the hero should just be trying to pull their spine out through their navel instead of chatting them up.

Nerd

The fact that a nudist plays Black Widow is hillarious

Her body isn't that great anymore.

Quips are just one-liners for heroes who aren't trying to be edgy.

>Quipping is both realistic and practical
Hey faggot, nice sh-
Gets punched in the face

Not every one in the universe should quip. Those that do quip should have a reason for doing it. In Ben 10 and Generator Rex those 2 quip because they are scared deep down and joke around to keep the situation light. I liked that and would like to see more of it.

When everybody’s trying to be Spider-Man, then nobody is.

This. Quibing is fine just so long as it doesn't undercut the mood the scene or a character's competency.

To contrast this, Poe quibing to Kylo on top of the mountain of villages corpses the First Order just slaughtered in TFA is how you don't do quibbing.

Speak for yourself

>dont turn large portions of the movie into a stand up routine.
Why?

The thing I remember not liking about the MCU quips is that they were too same-y, and instead of the characters making jokes it felt like the writer making jokes — if you can make sense of what I mean there.

Attached: eyelids.gif (414x442, 2.32M)

This. Quipping has only be really been bad under whedon's watch and Dr. Strange

The kind of people who get mad at quips come off as really autistic. It's jokes. If you're getting pissy at jokes in a silly superhero movie, maybe you have a brain problem.

There are times when there should be no quipping.

That being said, when two people in multicolored outfits fight a villain that dresses up in an animal costume, you can't go through that scene straight and have it be authentic. A normal person would not be able to contain their comments fighting The Kangarou.

BvS had Superman in his blue pajamas facing off with Batman with this iddy biddy bat ears on his head. And no one said a goddamn thing.

unironically what made the movies successful.

you have to relieve the tension of a scene with a quick joke because being miserable and dark will exhaust the audience.

Attached: 1525785758569.png (480x360, 243K)

Nice chicken

Attached: 1552455943115.gif (309x374, 1.11M)

It can work when written and executed properly.

The MCU is fucking awful at it.

there are good quips
("LANGUAGE!")
and there are bad quips
("The damage is not too bad. As long as the foundations are still strong, we can rebuild this place. [Asgard explodes] Now those foundations are gone. Sorry.")

I feel it was at it's worst in GOTG2

But language was a shit quip. Cap's a world war 2 soldier not your grandma

These are both shit quips.

As everyone is saying, quips are great in moderation and pretty awful any way else. As for the MCU, thess movies are not nearly as quippy as a lot of people try to say they are. The Avengers and the entirety of Phase 2 was pretty quippy, but that was the aftermath of Joss Whedon setting the MCU’s whole tone after 2012.

Cap’s trilogy is decidedly unquippy (which makes the Language! quip so fucking jarring). Thor’s first two movies are light on quips. Black Panther had a lot of meta humor but wasn’t very quippy. Infinity War wasn’t quippy.

It seems like the only heroes that really quip as much a Yea Forums seems to think are Spider-Man, Stark, and the Guardians. Even Strange’s quips come off as less humorous and more, well, strange.

>Infinity War wasn't quippy.
there was 20 quips every minute for most of the film

Attached: HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.gif (540x220, 2.37M)

>nudist
Wait, what?

Quipping is infinitely inferior to dry/dark humor that relies on physical action.

Watching an old Jackie Chan fight actually makes the fight scenes a spectacle rather than the chore of having to watch the collection of contact moments in a capeshit fight scene.

A little sugar makes the medicine go down.

Most of the MCU employs humor to endear the characters or make the audience buy ridiculous premises. It's only when it's employed in dire moments that it becomes a problem.

That last Thor movie kinda flipflopped hard between comedy and tragedy. But then again, that's kinda Taika Waititi's thing. It kinda works when you consider it one of Thor's coping mechanisms. But that'd never work in something more grounded like a Cap movie.

Quipping is fine so long as it's measured and tone appropriate. I did appreciate that Killmonger wasn't a quipper.

I do agree that some people get excessively into their complaints about 'quipping' in the MCU, especially when they start to use it as cudgel over any effort to insert humor in, for example, the DC films, or elsewhere.

The Poe example here is a good one, but humor in films, whether we're talking superhero or not, isn't an MCU thing and there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't need to be done to excess either - the problem with RDJ (and partially due to modern culture) is that snark has replaced actual humor or wit (just use a cutesy nickname like capsicle and that will do for actual humor).

If the humor is good and makes sense and is appropriate to where it falls on the story, then there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with it, but that's not the case a great chunk of the time, but you can apply that to any number of films, no where near all of them by Disney or Warners.

Is Winter Soldier the Marvel movie with less quips?

>It kinda works when you consider it one of Thor's coping mechanisms
>this user recognizes that the comedic tone of Ragnorak is a parallel to Thor's greatest character flaw

Attached: 1529539880844.jpg (366x287, 9K)

Thor 2 could've used some quips

As long as it's not excessive Joss Whedon talk or Gilmore Girls tier and here's an example of what I mean.
>youtu.be/Q3P9w28pM1M?t=8
I am OK with it.

Characters who are excessively witty or quippy or being too self aware comes off as tryhard sometimes and it's annoying. Worst is when people IRL try to talk like they are in a Joss Whedon show.

a nudist plays Black Widow

It was terrible in his MCU movies and slightly less terrible in Buffy (since at least sarcastic teenagers are already like that). Don't know who the fuck told Joss Whedon he's funny.

I miss when it was a rarity during action sequences because back then it was moderately funny, especially when it was super serious characters doing it, but now it's become the norm to be quippy instead of serious during fights and I hate it. The MCU uses quippery so poorly because there's a huge lack of straight men.

and heres the problem, jokes make the movie come off as 'just a silly superhero movie'

marvel is fine but any gravitas they could have is pissed away by poorly written pop culture jokes

Nah the worst is Thor3.
GOTG2 kept making jokes but it never stopped a moment just to have a joke. Meanwhile what felt like half of Thor3's humor was "we interrupt this moment to have a pratfall of a mistake by one of our heroes. Let us stop what we're doing to look at that character and have an awkward pause for laughs."

Valkerie's introduction where she drunkenly falls off her ship, Thor tied up in chains and slowly constantly spinning, Thor tossing a rock against glass after a big speech and the rock bouncing back into his face, Bruce jumping down to transform into Hulk for battle and landing on the ground passed out, etc.

It's fine, just needs the right execution as said

>Valkerie's introduction where she drunkenly falls off her ship,
But that part is amazing

I only really found it bad in GOTG2 and Doctor Strange. The former lingered too long on it and the latter didn't feel like it needed it and used it as a crutch.

The others were worse, but it didn't help when it came to adding to the number of times they did it.
I mean you got a movie titled Ragnarok, dealing with the Goddess of Death and a Thor all defeated after losing his father and his hammer, and they kill every tense moment with a joke.

They had a big action packed space fantasy ready but instead wanted to make it GOTG but with a terrible style of comedic timing.

I don't hate fun

/thread

Quipping pretty much ruined Spider-Man. Reals fans know what I'm talking about.

I like it when it doesn't interrupt things that should be serious or cool on their own. Thats why my least favorite bit in Infinity War is when Banner interrupts Thor's appearance with a jeer.

>Gets punched in the face
>dodge
>cross counter
Exactly. Angry people tend to through incredibly telegraphed haymakers at the face. Makes fighting easy as shit as long as you keep your guard up.

You want your opponent to have tunnel vision.

What’s worse is that they released concept art and scenes that made Ragnarok feel...well like Ragnarok.

That was until they got a comedy director who is basically “what’s happening fellow children?”

You can't deny it worked compared to how they were handling Thor before.

Went from "that hammer guy" to "Strongest Avenger everybody loves"

Bump

Hollywood films used to be all quips and banter all the time.

I have no problem with the modern version.

Attached: download (2).jpg (474x355, 25K)

It's a sign the writer is a hack and that the intended audience is braindead children

Philadelphia Story was a comedy.

fine if it's actually funny
the only times that happened in the mcu was in the ant-man films though

It's the reverse for me. I hated the "Language" joke, but the second one actually seems funny, depending on the delivery.

Quipping is fine when done right. Joss Wheadon's quipping is just him showing off, which is why every character he writes has the same voice.

In Captain Marvel, I thought a lot of the earlier gags were too silly (such as Carl fighting a grandma on a train), but the best comedic moments were the quiet scenes between her and Fury. Additionally, THAT scene with Goose in Act 3 got the biggest laugh at my theater, because of the brilliant buildup.

You need humor to lighten the mood every once in a while. Even The Dark Knight trilogy had (intentional) jokes, which is something the Zack Snyder DCEU movies forgot. But you can't have comedy overpower drama.

io9.gizmodo.com/into-the-spider-verse-cut-a-popular-spider-ham-joke-for-1832015240

Undercutting all remotely serious scenes with it annoys me.

This.
Even Moon Knight used to fire off quips at least once a page back in the old days.

>Infinity War wasn't quippy
>"duuude, you're embarrassing me in front of the wizard!"
>"you ever hear of that old movie Alien?"
>Drax's entire existence

It's stupid

It's fine so long as the jokes are funny and/or appropriate. Humor is a really effective way to characterize our protagonists and endear them to the viewer.
>on your left
>kick names, take ass
>oh, we're using our made up names
Are all effective.

>language!
>I have famously huge turds
>people make... smaller people? Children!
Are not.

The word "quipping" is thrown at so many different things I'm honestly not even sure what the word means anymore.
Not even kidding.

Its one of my biggest problems with the MCU. It's fine in moderation and if its confined to one or two fitting characters but when every character needs to quip it ruins the tension and atmosphere. It often feels like the writers under-estimate the viewers capacity be engaged in a dramatic moment.
I'm a combat veteran medic and I've been in my fair share of fire fights. A few times, in the middle of the shit, a joke or quip has been made and they were fucking hilarious but it was a once in a blue moon thing.

But the quipping is never about strategic value.

Pure cancer , leave it to Spiderman since Peter is supposed to be an obnoxious faggot to distract his villains.

Quipping on the whole works best for characters that are either naturally cocky (Thor, Iron Man) or do so strategically (Spiderman, Wally West flash). So, it's in character for them to quip all the time as it is either part of their identity or part of their fighting style. What I'd like to see more of is a normally very quippy character be the one to pick up on the gravitas of the situation. It raises dramatic tension.

Pic related is a really good example of how quipping as a signature feature of a character can be integrated into the plot. Octavius Superior Spider Man doesn't quip. Peter Parker Spider Man does. Seeing Osborn's hatred at the fact that Peter is back makes the Superior Spiderman arc worth the run through.

Attached: KDQjuOBLLPpICyjGqvm6u1-9fce415zUTKq1Aduhcpk.jpg (720x1280, 244K)

Just to clarify, strategic quipping means using it as a psychological weapon. Joking and poking fun at your enemy can be a powerful tool to offset them. Get them mad and they get sloppy.

A good example of this is the fight between Terry Mcginnis's Batman and Tim Drake's Joker. Normally Joker loves toying with Bruce Wayne and has on numerous occasions gone out of his way to try to get Bruce to laugh with him despite Bruce always stonewalling him. Terry, on the other hand, realizes he can't beat Joker like Bruce so he plays to his own strength. He begins picking apart the Joker's identity and relationship to the old Batman. This get Joker angry and ultimately leads to his defeat.

youtube.com/watch?v=E6SVzff6umQ

>Nah the worst is Thor3.
Thor 3 is a comedy. Maybe you didn't like the humor, but you can't credibly complain that there were too many funny scenes in a comedy.

Was just about bearable in Avengers 1, with some notable clunkers like "I do not see how that is a party". Absolutely insufferable in AoU, ruined the film.

God Slotts run was garbage but Ill be damned if he didnt pull of Superior well. For one year, one nice little year, he wrote Spiderman well.

Fucking THIS

Considering it's a thing that people actually do, it's fine so long as it still feels like something spoken and not something written.

There's a very distinct difference there and it's pretty easy for someone to sniff out as an individual if they're trying to be critical about it. The problem is that it's very hard for big productions to actually tell because they're very good at convincing themselves that everything that does well in focus studies is golden.

Gets pretty tiresome when it's written by someone not very clever or when it's lacks impact so as not to really offend anyone.

The first two movies were not comedies though. Switching genres might actually have disappointed some people.

I'm sick of it. No one talks like that even after years of having actors do it. It's ruined marvel by being their go-to method of breaking tension whenever they have a serious moment or "unrealistic" element adapted from the comics. Fuck that shit and fuck the faggots who demand it. I don't blame Whedom tho.

A lot of the first Thor was a fish out of water comedy, and a bit of a rom-com.