Comic character makes an honest mistake

>comic character makes an honest mistake
>it takes a lifespan, in universe and out, to make up for it

Attached: ROSEMARY.png (782x446, 577K)

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/user/official_zootopia_
youtube.com/watch?v=dkpgz3uQ58U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_(Interpol_song)
monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2011/11/charlie-white-understanding-joshua-2001.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ROSEMARY

HEAVEN RESTORES YOU IN LIFE

HEAVEN RESTORES YOU IN LIFE

Why can't we look the other way?

>there will never be a good Interpol album ever again

why the fuck is this song called "evil"
thats bothered me for years

Attached: 1546663450592.jpg (375x375, 39K)

What is the song even about?

>"I didn't think"
>"THAT'S RIGHT YOU DIDN'T"

Attached: 1474054621271.png (960x540, 666K)

Isn't it about the serial killer couple Fred and Rosemary West?

but then why is the video about a creepy puppet getting in a car crash?

YOU'RE COMING WITH ME

You're coming with me

Attached: 1525209164650.gif (475x331, 263K)

I'd say that the use of the car crash of a metaphor is highly plausible, and would probably make the song more credible, but I'm gonna take it at face value for my interpretation.

Firstly, I think the guy (I don't think that Paul is writing as himself - hence the use of a puppet in the vid and not a trace of the 'pol anywhere) lost his partner in a fatal car crash. I think perhaps she didn't die instantly but that she ended up in hospital and didn't make it. The song is about the guys struggle to come to terms with the loss of his partner (who I think may have been dead for some time now) in the face of feeling romantically towards somebody new - Sandy.

Right, now let's back all that up:

"Rosemary, Heaven restores you in life" - Let's everyone know she's dead right at the beginning, also shows us he believes in Heaven and believes that she may still be aware of everything that's going on. This is backed up the next few lines:

"You're coming with me, through the aging, the fear and the strife" - This line could also be a reference to the wedding vows:
"I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live." I only just thought about this one, but everything he says 'aging', 'fear', 'strife' it's all negative stuff, and in the wedding vows you promise to stick by each other even in times of trouble so maybe they were married and he's saying that even though she's no longer here, she's still going to be with him through all the things they promised when they got married.

"It's the smiling on the package, it's the faces in the sand, it's the thoughts that hold me upwards embracing me with two hands" - Again, I concur with what others have said - he feels her around him (the embrace - most common meaning is a huge between lovers e.g. a lovers' embrace) and sees her everywhere (sand, packaging).

Now for the next lyric I've found two different interpretations of the actual words he says. I thought it was "Right will take you places" but I've read elsewhere people think it's "Write, we'll take you places". It's almost impossible to decipher by listening so I'll interpret both.
"Right will take you places" - She lived a good life so she went to Heaven.
"Write, we'll take you places" - Stay in contact even though I'm falling for someone new, you won't be forgotten, you'll always be there with us too. This line goes better with the next one "Yeah, maybe to the beach"

"When your friends they do come crying" - Again, suggests that the person has died as her friends are also affected, it's not just the guy singing the song that has lost her.

"Tell them now your pleasure's set up on slow release" - she's going to be happy for a very long time, i.e. It will take a long time for her pleasure to diffuse because it's on a slow release. Also as he says "tell them" it suggests he's saying let them know you're happy it might help them come to terms with things.

Nope.
Songs about a pair of serial killers. One sec i'll get the doc.

"Hey wait, great smile, sensitive to faith not denial." - Maybe she was always a happy person, even when she was in hospital facing the likelihood she may not pull through (not denial - she wasn't in denial about how serious it was), sesitive to faith, perhaps she was believing her faith might pull her through.

"But hey, who's on trial?" - He reflects that he's just been judging her behaviour after the accident (noticing that she faced up to things and put on a brave face), but realises that it wasn't her fault, she was the innocent and she died. "But hey, who's on trial?" as in "Why am I judging your behaviour after that horrific accident, you had every right to behave however you pleased." Alternatively, after thinking about the next line, it could be that he was driving and feels responsible...

"I've spent a lifespan with no cellmate" - He's the guilty party (feels responsible) as far as he's concerned (maybe not in the eyes of the law, i.e. maybe another car hit them but he was the driver) referenced by the "cell" - prison - and he's also managed to go this far without felling anything for anyone else "mate".

"The long way back" - Could have several meanings. Perhaps that fateful night they took the long way back? Perhaps they didn't and he wishes they had? Perhaps he just means it happened a long time ago?

>the photography director and person who built the puppet is named charlie white
>look up his work
>its shit like this

Attached: serveimage.png (614x736, 849K)

Fun fact: When Zootopia came out they made Spotify playlists for the characters, like songs that they would like, and Evil by Interpol was on Nick's playlist. It's a much darker song than any of the other ones listed and it's surprising to see it associated with a Disney cartoon.

open.spotify.com/user/official_zootopia_

Attached: Zootopia-Nick-Wilde.jpg (1920x1440, 232K)

Hank Pym?

"Sandy, why can't we look the other way?" - Why am I having these feelings for you, when I still love and miss Rosemary?

"we speaks about travel
Yeah, we think about the land
We smart like all peoples
Feeling real tanned" - sounds like he's imitating ghetto speak. Angry at black people? Maybe it was a group of black people who were driving the other car?

"I could take you places -
Do you need a new man?
Wipe the pollen from the faces
Make revision to a dream while you wait in the van" - He starts thinking about Sandy again, and quick as a flash Rosemary comes back to the forefront of his mind:

"Hey wait, great smile, sensitive to faith not denial"

And then again, he wishes he didn't feel this way towards Sandy:

"It took a life spent with no cellmate
To find the long way back
Sandy, why can't we look the other way?"

What is this? I don't get it

"You're weightless, you are exotic
You need something for which to care" - This could be about Rosemary and/or Sandy. With Rosemary "You're weightless, you are exotic" - She's weightless because she's no longer a physical presence and she's exotic because she's different to everyone else. With regards tos Sandy, it could be she's extremely thin (not as goos an interpretation as with Rosemary I feel) and she's exotic - maybe she's foreign, maybe she's black and that's why he was mimicking ghetto talk earlier in the song. Maybe "you're weightless" is a reference to Rosemary and "you are exotic" is a reference to Sandy. The "you need something for which to care" could be a reference to either as well.

Then back to why is he thinking about Sandy, why can't he just forget her?:

Sandy, why can't we look the other way?"

Then he seems to start asking for to remember Rosemary and keep her with him so he doesn't feeling the wanting for Sandy:

"Leave some shards under the belly
Lay some grease inside my hand
It's a sentimental jury
And the makings of a good plan" - I think this is metaphorical, I don't think he really wants glass in his belly or grease in his hand, he just wants a permanent and prominent reminder of Rosemary so he doesn't move on.

youtube.com/watch?v=dkpgz3uQ58U

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_(Interpol_song)

Long story short, Woman marry's serial killer to escape her sexually abusive schizophrenic father. Take's her new life and power too far, inspiring the torture and murder of some 50 people with her husband. She lives now in prison, where she will hopefully stay forever.

"You've come to love me lightly" - He can feel her presence
"Yeah you've come to hold me tight" - He won't let himself move on, he allows her to hold on him still.
"Is this motion everlasting
Or do shudders pass in the night?" - Will he always feel like this, or does he just need more time to come to terms with it? Alternatively, maybe he wonders how long until he forgets about Rosemary altogether because he doesn't want to?

"Rosemary
Oh, Heaven restores you in life
I spent a lifespan with no cellmate
The long way back
Sandy, why can't we look the other way?" - I've explained this enough.

"You're weightless, semi-erotic,
You need someone to take you there
Sandy, why can't we look the other way?
Why can't we just play the other game?
Why can't we just look the other way?" - Sounds like this is all about Sandy so the other references "you're weightless, you are exotic" probably is as well. I feel here he is practically begging and pleading to forget about Sandy because he feels to consumed with guilt about what happened to Rosemary and also about letting her go.that's it's about brothers

That's really neat. A lot of these songs work, and some of them are surprising.

Hopefully she rots in hell once she dies

>There are people who unironically think a 'pure innocent' was more good than a villain who saw the error of their ways and reformed.
>More so, there are people who think the reformed villain should never be trusted, no matter when good they did.

It takes a lifespan, with no cellmate, the long way back

Holy shit I saw this once on YTMND in 2004 and haven't been able to find it since. I just had a nostalgia bomb so potent I actually felt it. I thought I imagined it and my brain was degenerate enough to dream up such images, but now I know that I wasn't crazy!

Also WHAT THE FUCK IS EVEN GOING ON IN THESE PICTURES

Attached: carlin.gif (235x180, 1.94M)

They just don't want to admit that it's fun to hate people and any excuse to do so will be infinitely more appealing than forgiveness.

that radio scene in Zootopia got a good laugh out of me

THROUGH THE AGING, THE FEARING, THE STRIFE

Never expected an Interpol thread on Yea Forums, this is awesome

Or the classic: "This guy did something problematic. That means I have full license to be an evil little shit to them."

holy fuck i haven't seen this in like a decade
i don't think i ever saw the second one

“Evil” is one of those songs that just resonated with people, same with the video. There’s just something about it that makes feel so drawn, but also makes you feel so mortal.

Oddly enough, Dragonball is great at addressing that.

>Yamaha started off as a bandit with no real scruples
>Ends up going legit, and even a baseball star

>Tien started off as a violent, cheating bully
>Not only helped Goku save the world from King Piccolo, but then became a long standing ally and friend of his, even willing to step in against Buu when no one else wanted to

>Piccolo Jr. started off wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and conquer the planet
>Was even happy that Goku died
>Training Gohan turned him around, and he became a father figure to him, as well as one of Goku’s best friend

>Vegeta starts off as, well, Vegeta
>Eventually becomes less of a Vegeta

theres a few of them it turns out

hi res ones here monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2011/11/charlie-white-understanding-joshua-2001.html

In part, that’s what makes the main villains like King Piccolo, Frieza, Buu, and Cell scarier. They’re completely unrepentant, and in a world where bad people can do good they outright refuse to.

Also One Piece and various mangos like that. Japan seems to be more accepting of the concept of forgiveness and moving on.

Maybe because that 'Ying and Yang' stuff that accepts that people are a balance of good and evil. Not that everybody must be 100% saintly or be cast out.

>yfw you are Joshua

Attached: 04D561E5-EE96-4E42-A249-7E2538C6B214.jpg (704x528, 57K)

That's a damn catchy song