Ok, I know you probably get this thread all the time...

Ok, I know you probably get this thread all the time, but what are your opinions on the Bendis run of Ultimate Spider-man?
I just read the first 120 something issues up to volume 22 and I have to say I have mixed feelings. The first 60 issues or so were absolutely great however I felt a particular decline in quality of the writing as the run went on as more and more plot conveniences came to pile up and Peter's identity stop being this fragile thing that could be revealed at any moment to basically having it being revealed or hidden based on the convenience of the plot

Attached: Ultimate_Spider-Man_(October_2000)_-1.jpg (250x375, 57K)

Ultimate Spider-man is a non-concept and you should fucking kill yourself for having mixed feelings about it.

Yeah? Okay bro.

Sort of agree? Although I still think USM at it's lowest point is still better than 90% of what normally gets released.

Bendis' USM is also still better than 90% of what Bendis comics normally gets released.

It was ok, easily better than Slott awful run on mainstream spidey.

Please leave to your own dimension.

I don't usually read comics so it's really just my outsider perspective. Yeah, I think most superhero comics are boring and contrived in concept, which is a shame and why I liked this.

th reason the ultimate universe was created was because at that time they editors at marvel thought they're books with an almost 40 year history at the time we're to dense in continuity for the average reader to want to start reading. It took the ultimate universe less than ten years to get that dense and convoluted. Ultimate spider-man was alright but it got annoying half way through when you realized it was pretty much just a greatest hits modern remix of already good story lines, in between shitty forgettable filler. Though for fun the numbering for this book is still in use today even though the all of the story itself has no connection to the books current lead

It's really weird that almost all of this comic takes place within one year

I have a bit of a bias because it was the comics that *really* got me into comics, i was into them before but at a very light level, i will say its VERY good for the first while but as the series gets on into the clone saga it has a drop in quality.

Yeah, it kind of doesn't make sense considering how much Peter's personality fucking changes in what? A couple of months? He becomes a completely different person in all respects. People can change their attitude or what they do in a short while but that much is really unconvincing.

Well, a lot of fucked up shit happened

>th reason the ultimate universe was created was because at that time they editors at marvel thought they're books with an almost 40 year history at the time we're to dense in continuity for the average reader to want to start reading. It took the ultimate universe less than ten years to get that dense and convoluted. Ultimate spider-man was alright but it got annoying half way through when you realized it was pretty much just a greatest hits modern remix of already good story lines, in between shitty forgettable filler. Though for fun the numbering for this book is still in use today even though the all of the story itself has no connection to the books current lead
the reason that happened is because Marvel haven't had a competent editorial staff since the late 80's, that's why Marvel continuity used to be so relatively tight back in the day

basically shared universes like DC or Marvel need control freaks like Starlin in charge or else they rapidly fall apart

That's a shitty excuse. It's alright that he grieved Gwen Stacy's death, even if it influenced his character, but he knew her for what? A couple months?
I am saying Peter from the beginning of the story and at the end of Bendis' run are two completely different people in just how they behave on a fundamental level.

>Starlin

whoops, got him and Jim Shooter mixed up somehow

I thought it was as close too perfect as what it intended to be could be a modern Peter Parker re-telling. It came out during the Tobey Maguire generation of Spider-man post marriage MacFarlane etc. I was only disappointed in how it couldn't get it's footing connecting up with the rest of Ultimate Marvel, except with Ultimate Sinister Six. That was cool.

I guess no concept can be played out forever, right? 120 or so is quite a run

It's charmingly dated. It's kind of funny to look back at these pages and remembering myself as a kid. Back then it felt like the ceiling of quality.

I think you are about right, I remember growing colder towards it around when Carnage thing happened, I never really got what happened because I wasn't savvy in comic history, I didn't even know Gwen is known for dying. I still kept coming back and I think last good story arc was its interpretation of Clone Saga, after that it just felt aimless. I felt like it was starting getting back on track when Bendis revealed to Jameson that Peter is Spider-man and instead of blowing all whistles Jameson promised to cover his college expenses, and then Ultimates took a notice to him and wanted to try training him as an intern to Ultimates, I really was into it and it felt like he was building up to something good in college years. Then he died and I quickly dropped Miles's book (but not entirely because it was bad, the first volume of his book was OK, but Bendis COMPLETELY lost me when he turned Miles's dad into undercover agent, the Spider-verse movie got fucking 100% of what I wanted Miles's dad to be)

The hilarious part about Ultimate Universe and the ultimate reason as to why it ultimately collapsed is that in the end it created a continuity too convoluted to follow of its own.

As soon as Bagley had left, Bendis stopped giving a fuck and the book started going downhill from there.

Once the art changed the story started dropping fast

I kinda want to agree but post-Bagley I think was where they brought in Kitty, and there were still interesting ideas in there. And even during Bagley there were a lot of iffy storyarcs and ideas during the run.

Honestly its a shitty editorial a no other successful solo, pider-man was the only one to do well as the say to day guy while the big stiff happened in the FF X-men and Ultimates so giant things would happen that would last months or years and then ultimate spider-man would just plod along only allowing a few days to pass between issues. Duck from the first to the 150th issue Pete never even graduated high school how long could he have been spider-man for in continuity?

Bendis's best run on anything, and the only Ultimate line book I really liked.

I brought the omnibus and loved it.

I liked Kitty Pride's relationship with Peter way more than with MJ

Solid until he starts bringing in the symbiotes. Then it isnt worth reading

It was very good when Bagley's shitty artwork was there. Then the art got better and the story declined.

If it had been someone else on art duties from the start, we'd be talking best Spidey run ever.

It's the series that got me into comics back then. Even though the writing and art wasn't always consistent, overall it was very good, but from some point on I started getting annoyed by the interference of other Ultimate titles in USM. I was disappointed after the first arcs Immonen got because the writing took a complete nose dive (more than ever before) and I literally couldn't recognize the series anymore because it lost a lot of its charm. I'm disappointed this cast and this Peter never got to college and all that and his death was meaningless since he came back later on.

Kitty was introduced around issue 80 or so, I think. Bagley left at 111, but they had the second annual featuring her (I think) with a different artist.

After the art changed the only arc I enjoyed was death of a goblin. It still makes me mad to think of how much Bendis phoned it in around that time.

Attached: ultimatespider-man118u89.jpg (1920x2914, 2.29M)