Are there deep postmodern animation series besides Adventure time, Steven Universe, Horse Bojack, Gravity Falls?

Are there deep postmodern animation series besides Adventure time, Steven Universe, Horse Bojack, Gravity Falls?

Attached: e59.png (1200x1200, 730K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y_b16qK6lg4
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Postmodernism
study.com/academy/lesson/postmodernism-in-literature-definition-lesson-quiz.html
pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/postm-body.html
watchcartoononline.io/ok-k-o-lets-be-heroes-commercial-season-2-episode-7-your-world-is-an-illusion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have no idea what that means, OP, but going by that list, you'd probably like Rick and Morty

Stop seeing Yea Forums-media.
Play Yea Forums-media

>thinks those shows are deep

Attached: 4B132AFB-443D-45C3-88E1-3146A2945292.jpg (1200x675, 125K)

I forgot them, who hasn't looked at them in 2019 yet?

Attached: Bojack.Horseman.S02E11.Escape.From.L.A.1080p.Web-DL.mkv_snapshot_23.58_[2017.09.24_20.42.18].jpg (1920x1080, 112K)

this, but it's less appreciated cousin gary and his demons

Attached: Gary and Mrstripes.jpg (1777x999, 82K)

None of these are postmodern.

Attached: 235.jpg (193x266, 37K)

They sure are.

How so?

The deepest cartoon was Over the Garden Wall and I don't think Steven Universe was deep

It's very cool cause there are not faggots in that show

How is SU in any way post-modern?
It does not at all question its medium but instead explores human relationships through metaphor, which is a decidedly pre-modern concept.

Adventure Time does break open a lot of cans of worms about reality and perception on occasion.
But it does not really say much in that regard. It's just being weird.
So you are right for the most part.

OK;KO is chasing down some rabbit holes that break down the reality of the show and revolve around its technical nature as an animated medium.

Deeply worked setting, characters and their emotions. Not the usual running for suckers.

Ok, and you know more wierd cartoons?

Attached: 151-1511843_lapis-lazuli-wolverine.png.jpg (840x858, 204K)

>any of the shit you listed
>deep
lmaoing@u

Attached: 1521209786504.jpg (300x400, 17K)

Over the Garden Wall deals with mortality subtly and it had 3 levels of meaning, the story told once was 3 stories. I didn't read a book used as reference to make subtle parallelisms so I couldn't catch the whole meaning until a guy had read the book recently interpreted it. The creator of the show is a madman, he put dozens of details you had to investigate and think about

Attached: haters-gonna-hate.jpg (350x350, 31K)

I thought "deep" was a strange way of expressing it, she's probably talking about non generic works

SU could have been deep but it wasn't so good and it tries to be generic often

So you don't care about what the words you are using mean.
Okay.
Not sure if any further cartoons really go very deep into the mess that is people, but aSoIaF has much of that if you connect the dots. Of which there are many. Which is why there is a setting book, histories, side stories and an art exhibition.
If you wanna, you can go full tinfoil all day between all the hinted/possible/imagined conspiracies/prophecies/decisions.

> it wasn't so good
You are crazy? This is a brilliant title. So atmospheric, so chill. At the same time there is not a clear fascinating story. Tribute to my beloved DBZ. At the emotional moments I roared. The graphics are psychedelic. At the finals on aimdb not for nothing 9.8
Fillers are annoying, but you can suffer for the sake of goodness.

Attached: 53202dec7e8dbb497502e19f_550444626bd70d0a22a525d0_rz.jpg (3221x2929, 1.48M)

Gary and His Demons is GOAT
youtu.be/y_b16qK6lg4

To really understand what the show is all about I suggest listening to the podcast. Rebecca has a lot to say about what it all means.

You say that I do not attach meaning to the words.
And then in the next paragraph you call deep fantasy with sex and blood?
This is not the depth, the usual Tarantine shock content + lord of the rings.
Titles of OP are revolutionary animation, more for adults than children.

I was brilliant for two seasons

Art is an art for everyone to see something of their own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Many say that the cartoon is SJW, the authors may be, but in the work itself I don’t see thick propaganda and reverse discrimination. Only a very beautiful story about the love of self and neighbor.

Attached: Steven-Universe-фэндомы-Pearl-(SU)-SU-Персонажи-4242868.png (1280x1044, 353K)

Just as stupid as saying that the best parts of Jojo are with hamon. The series is uniform, if not getting better.

I see some people in this thread are somewhat confused on what post-modern actually means. I think the best way to deal with this is to quote directly from Tvtopes (I understand this may divisive because some think that site is trite, but I think it's a decent source for the conventions in story-telling). The number one thing to do before discussing something, especially a thing as broad a topic as post-modernism, is to define the lines and definitions. With that said...

"Post Modernism first emerged as a philosophical movement amid the ruins and tribulations of postwar Europe and stems from a general disillusionment with thirties-era modernism brought about by World War II."

"Post-modernism in books and movies was largely a questioning on the nature of narrative and plot and characterization."

"Essentially, authors wanted readers to be more aware of how storytelling works and interact and question it so that they become active rather than passive audiences,"

"Post-modernist narratives can be generally distinguished by their dearth of characters with large-scale agency. The actors in earth-shaking events are governments, institutions, and societies, and the story deals with the ways in which the characters do or do not (fit) into that broader picture."

/1

>the series is uniform, if not getting better.

Ridiculous bullshit after season 2, cheap animation, Lauren Zuke ruining characters, 11 minutes feel like 2 since nothing is happening, bad writing

Attached: db3s.jpg (236x312, 11K)

"This led to all kinds of Take a Third Option in storytelling, efforts that echoed conventional pre-war genres but with a more contemporary, darker twist, the Happy Ending was often shown with Stylistic Suck (bad on purpose) or a parody, and while Downer Ending never went out of style, we now had the Gainax Ending (Shit gets wild) where the story goes beyond the fate of the characters and the confines of the story, sometimes directly addressing the viewer, other times leaving them with a sense of irresolution and uncertainty, sometimes yes veering to True Art Is Incomprehensible levels but with the intention that audiences should think and engage with the work, however difficult it may be, as per their own experience without the story telling them what to think and how to feel."

"Deconstruction was developed as an independent strain in this time and post-modernism generally features a strong deconstructive aspect. In general, postmodern writing involves a blurring of boundaries. An example of this is blurring the boundary between the reader or viewer and the fiction — for example, a TV show that acknowledges that it is not real"

While I did say that the most important part of starting a conversation is describe exactly what we were all talking about, this is also something to keep in mind with the concept of this, or any, philosophical or art movement:

"The contemporary definition of Post Modernism is extremely ambiguous, and some of the definitions are extremely metaphysical, so don't go out into the world thinking this article is all there is to the concept. That the very term "Post-modern" is inherently self-contradictory is freely acknowledged — indeed celebrated — within Post Modernism itself."

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Postmodernism

/2

>post-modern actually means

some kid wants to seem smart but he/she doesn't get it

Another source for info:

"Postmodern literature is a form of literature which is marked, both stylistically and ideologically, by a reliance on such literary conventions as fragmentation, paradox, unreliable narrators, often unrealistic and downright impossible plots, games, parody, paranoia, dark humor and authorial self-reference. Postmodern authors tend to reject outright meanings in their novels, stories and poems, and, instead, highlight and celebrate the possibility of multiple meanings, or a complete lack of meaning, within a single literary work.

Postmodern literature also often rejects the boundaries between 'high' and 'low' forms of art and literature, as well as the distinctions between different genres and forms of writing and storytelling. Here are some examples of stylistic techniques that are often used in postmodern literature:

Pastiche: The taking of various ideas from previous writings and literary styles and pasting them together to make new styles.
Intertextuality: The acknowledgment of previous literary works within another literary work.
Metafiction: The act of writing about writing or making readers aware of the fictional nature of the very fiction they're reading.
Temporal Distortion: The use of non-linear timelines and narrative techniques in a story.
Minimalism: The use of characters and events which are decidedly common and non-exceptional characters.
Maximalism: Disorganized, lengthy, highly detailed writing.
Magical Realism: The introduction of impossible or unrealistic events into a narrative that is otherwise realistic.
Faction: The mixing of actual historical events with fictional events without clearly defining what is factual and what is fictional.
Reader Involvement: Often through direct address to the reader and the open acknowledgment of the fictional nature of the events being described..."

/3

"Many critics and scholars find it best to define postmodern literature against the popular literary style that came before it: modernism. In many ways, postmodern literary styles and ideas serve to dispute, reverse, mock and reject the principles of modernist literature.

For example, instead of following the standard modernist literary quest for meaning in a chaotic world, postmodern literature tends to eschew, often playfully, the very possibility of meaning. The postmodern novel, story or poem is often presented as a parody of the modernist literary quest for meaning. Thomas Pynchon's postmodern novel The Crying of Lot 49 is a perfect example of this. In this novel, the protagonist's quest for knowledge and understanding results ultimately in confusion and the lack of any sort of clear understanding of the events that transpired."

study.com/academy/lesson/postmodernism-in-literature-definition-lesson-quiz.html

/4

"A general and wide-ranging term which is applied to literature, art, philosophy, architecture, fiction, and cultural and literary criticism, among others. Postmodernism is largely a reaction to the assumed certainty of scientific, or objective, efforts to explain reality. In essence, it stems from a recognition that reality is not simply mirrored in human understanding of it, but rather, is constructed as the mind tries to understand its own particular and personal reality. For this reason, postmodernism is highly skeptical of explanations which claim to be valid for all groups, cultures, traditions, or races, and instead focuses on the relative truths of each person. In the postmodern understanding, interpretation is everything; reality only comes into being through our interpretations of what the world means to us individually. Postmodernism relies on concrete experience over abstract principles, knowing always that the outcome of one's own experience will necessarily be fallible and relative, rather than certain and universal.

Postmodernism is "post" because it is denies the existence of any ultimate principles, and it lacks the optimism of there being a scientific, philosophical, or religious truth which will explain everything for everybody - a characterisitic of the so-called "modern" mind. The paradox of the postmodern position is that, in placing all principles under the scrutiny of its skepticism, it must realize that even its own principles are not beyond questioning. As the philospher Richard Tarnas states, postmodernism "cannot on its own principles ultimately justify itself any more than can the various metaphysical overviews against which the postmodern mind has defined itself."

pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/postm-body.html

Last source with another contextualization of the ideas presented within post-modernism.

So I take it you have not read the books, then.
Because those really are all about the constant motif of loss and failure as a part of life, stagnation, catastrophe and decay as part of the historical development of nations.
You really won't get a setting much deeper and richer than the world of Westeros and surroundings.

So you are just a tween sheep who refuses to ever look past the text, or at the text for that matter.
SU is a pretty dark take on growing up and familial relationships.
The pastel colors only enhance the impact of the abuse and suffering.

> Lauren Zuke ruining characters
> dont like Lapidot
You lost your mind.

Attached: 1354919141957.jpg (560x416, 36K)

that's why I didn't attempt to explain directly but rather used three sources instead. I know I'm not smart enough to teach it to someone else. It mostly seemed like a cool way to introduce a concept that some may be unfamiliar with.

>gravity falls
>deep postmodern animation
that piece of shit feels like a TGIF show

Lapidot that was created by a crazy woman was going against what the crew wanted to do (and she was fired because of that) is supposed to be good for the show in your opinion

Attached: 9633.jpg (464x463, 35K)

> SU is a pretty dark take on growing up and familial relationships.
> The pastel colors only enhance the impact of the abuse and suffering.

You are projecting your childhood on a cartoon in which there is nothing like this.

...Loading previous analyzes... Classifying Depth levels by layers...

>Adventure Time (season 1 - 6): 2 (normally 1)

>Adventure Time season (6 - 9): 2 (normally 1)

>Bojack Horseman: 1 (commonly it's completely explicit but sometimes its level increase to 2)

>Gravity Fall: 1 (there are many details but the story is explicitely explained and they aren't necessary to understand the story, they are mainly lore)

>Steven Universe: 3 (the third layer is the voice of the different writers, most part of the time they aren't harmonious)

>Over The Garden Wall: 3.5 (approximately, Divine Comedy, Common story, symbolisms which weren't explicitely commented and apparently some ideas taken from classical literature)

>Pinocchio the movie (McHale's version): apparently 6.

*Warning* the stories were classified by layers of depth not by level of quality.

Attached: Ultra analytical but objetive mode activate.gif (300x201, 834K)

What do you mean by depth here?

> (and she was fired because of that)
Yeah, after 2 years.
Her only unsuccessful ep is Rocknaldo. As a person, she can be hard, but her series are quite good. Barn mates one of the best in the tv.

Attached: 84b.jpg (1024x735, 100K)

Faggot we all know about that shit.

Attached: 1496180164662.jpg (300x300, 47K)

Shut up, fish

Attached: mKLdicr.jpg (500x421, 42K)

The levels of meaning, you can understand better the story by deciphering its different layers of meaning.

Now that I think about it OTGW probably has 4.5 instead of 3.5 if we take into count the extra content and there is a light conflict between writer and network.

Attached: 1496198344309.jpg (569x428, 25K)

>Oh no... he is talking with the picture

Attached: 1498332156801.png (1662x860, 985K)

Kudos to the only person in the entire thread to mention OK KO, whose storytelling can be very postmodern at times. Season 2's "Your World is an Illusion" is well worth watching to see a cartoon character have their foundation shook, all set to well-timed sight gags and animation humor.

watchcartoononline.io/ok-k-o-lets-be-heroes-commercial-season-2-episode-7-your-world-is-an-illusion

Attached: ok ko7.jpg (1366x768, 91K)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

>Pinocchio the movie (McHale's version): apparently 6

Attached: what.gif (320x240, 1.94M)

Beers and cigars and donkeys soo deep arrrrr

Attached: 13986824768685.gif (500x281, 596K)

>Her only unsuccessful ep is Rocknaldo

Her episodes were stupid after S2, boring idiot dialogue and she made a mess of the foreshadowing cause she wanted to push her idiot ships. Her episodes were garbage

Your opinion is garbage

Attached: SU-art-Steven-Universe-фэндомы-Lapis-Lazuli-4111568.png (811x860, 340K)

>He watched Disney's version.
>He thinks that he knows everything about Pinocchio.

Truly a kid

Attached: 1498329345396.png (1191x897, 1.54M)

Not him but this guy is bait, you are living bait user.

Attached: 1502339199785.jpg (600x600, 35K)

Oh god. That episode.

This is probably my favorite post-modern cartoon. The dynamic between donatello and cartman really go above and beyond in it's mimicking of the petty wars being fought by the rich. Meanwhile the entire arc where spongebob goes into his bubble addiction phase behind everyone's back and when homer finds out, it's heartwrenching. This show really puts a lens to society and asks WHY we actually do the things we do. I go back to homer relating spongebob's bubble addiction to his donut one and then they both sob for over an hour. It's like a lens into our society.

Attached: landscape-1470221630-cartoon-heroes.jpg (980x490, 102K)