JSA Storytime: Grendel

Good evening owls,

some more shorts

Attached: GOv1-046.jpg (1280x1920, 428K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mercurialblonde/status/727232376057679872
youtube.com/watch?v=phWcmwlpjQo
womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/05/60805/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

time to get drunk because my nerves are shot because SOMEONE had to go to the emergency vet for having eaten a cake. didn't know she'd jump up there. lesson learned.

Attached: GOv1-071.jpg (1280x1920, 744K)

Hello, Storyteller.

A dog's digestive system is only slightly less delicate than an MRA's self-esteem.

She's my little shithead but goddamn, DOG

(it got caught fairly quickly and she seems fine)

Attached: GOv1-072.jpg (1280x1920, 815K)

That's awesome to hear OP

Pets are a trip. I love my cat, but he is a right pain in the ass.

my neeeeerves

Attached: GOv1-073.jpg (1280x1920, 603K)

Attached: GOv1-074.jpg (1280x1920, 672K)

so it's tequila time

Attached: GOv1-075.jpg (1280x1920, 690K)

Attached: GOv1-076.jpg (1280x1920, 807K)

So he's drawn older here than in the fencing short but isn't Hunter still high school-aged?

Going through some older issues.
Who was this? Was it supposed to be Death for her ""dcu debut"" (since didio declared vertigo never canon)

Attached: RCO025_1462165178.jpg (1018x1600, 398K)

yeah, it's a flexible time thing, I suspect

Attached: GOv1-077.jpg (1280x1920, 546K)

You ever think creators must get unreasonably happy when they realize they can get away with drawing female nipples?

yes

and you can tell when the gay artists enjoy pushing it just as close as they can to cock

Attached: GOv1-078.jpg (1280x1920, 304K)

Attached: GOv1-079.jpg (1280x1920, 876K)

Attached: GOv1-080.jpg (1280x1920, 868K)

hey, an ass man!

Attached: GOv1-081.jpg (1280x1920, 926K)

Are creative types just inherently pervy? It's like no matter what gender or orientation, just about every notable creator of media has this intense lust they have a very difficult time keeping in their pants. Even relatively tame ones will inevitably have a moment where they somehow out themselves as having a weird kink. The hell.

Attached: GOv1-082.jpg (1280x1920, 802K)

Attached: GOv1-083.jpg (1280x1920, 843K)

Thorne jerks off in approval

Attached: GOv1-084.jpg (1280x1920, 807K)

Attached: GOv1-085.jpg (1280x1920, 901K)

Attached: GOv1-086.jpg (1280x1920, 850K)

Attached: GOv1-087.jpg (1280x1920, 770K)

check out the background lewd!

Attached: GOv1-088.jpg (1280x1920, 685K)

Attached: GOv1-089.jpg (1280x1920, 883K)

I like the change in the text boxes here.

cool to fight critics-yes or no?

good catch

Attached: GOv1-090.jpg (1280x1920, 788K)

Hi thread

You're just American, sexuality is a very natural thing and there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

In this case, the critic in question is a professional troll who's never happier than when being a smugger-than-thou puritanical fucking killjoy, BUT you can't do it and not look like a total asshole, even if you're right, so don't do it.

Attached: GOv1-091.jpg (1280x1920, 891K)

Attached: GOv1-092.jpg (1280x1920, 773K)

Attached: GOv1-093.jpg (1280x1920, 871K)

everyone who writes for WWAC unironically sucks

Attached: GOv1-094-095.jpg (2560x1920, 1.91M)

Context?

Yes, but I'm talking about the specific phenomenon of media creators having a tendency to inject their fetishes into their work. Views and opinions I get, but why the stuff one beats off to? Like, why do so many feel comfortable about broadcasting their freaky turn ons?

Dan Panosian got into it with one of the WWAC people, and then Tieri got into it, and later apologized

Attached: GOv1-096.jpg (1280x1920, 686K)

Ohhh that's why people kept mentioning Tieri!

Was there multiple critic fuck ups this week? Not remembering her name isn’t helping my case that she’s alright tho but I thought she was

some lady pointed out the Female Furies cover featured the crotch prominently or something and instead of being like "yeah because thematically that fits the context of the book ya know" the artist was like "nuh uhhh and stfu fellow maker of art" and the girl was like "but I'm a critic mainly" and then dude's buddy is like "ay my bro is in the right here, lady dum dum" and then some German dude is like "this is American comic industry" and then original art dude's homie is like "I'll fuck your shit up by a dumpster" or something and everything got out of hand after that

Attached: GOv1-097.jpg (1280x1920, 954K)

Attached: GOv1-098.jpg (1280x1920, 775K)

Reminds me of the story Shorty tells about watching Scream in Scary Movie

Attached: GOv1-099.jpg (1280x1920, 929K)

thank god the tequila's finally kicking in

Attached: GOv1-100.jpg (1280x1920, 897K)

Big Two artists are basically a big oversensitive clique, if you want to make your superdupers fanfiction a thing you need to bite your lip a lot, and it shouldn't be that way. No wonder so many still think comics are just for kids, even the creators act like children.

Frank Tieri does suck, i know people here have affinity for that space punisher thing he did.

Rich Johnson is still bad but knowing he got punched and is still at it kinda makes me like him? also i think the reason he hired jude terror was to look better in comparison

TeamComics is awful

yeah, on the other hand, though--I've seen an interesting case where a writer (not comics) did butt in because someone had clearly misread something and was spreading "X IS A VILE SEXIST" due to it, but he still got lambasted

Attached: GOv1-101.jpg (1280x1920, 811K)

there is asymmetry to consider, but it's not as unbalanced as you might think in some cases

Attached: GOv1-102.jpg (1280x1920, 965K)

Attached: GOv1-103.jpg (1280x1920, 937K)

Attached: GOv1-104.jpg (1280x1920, 892K)

remember when scansdaily got mad at gail simone for a cliffhanger

That was so extravagantly stupid I still remember it in great detail

Attached: GOv1-105.jpg (1280x1920, 899K)

... So, the critic was actually okay with the crotch close up, and it was the writer who pitched a fit? Okay.

To be "fair", that's basically every industry. The slightest amount of even perceived power in any context turns the human mind into a fragile, oversensitive, wrathful baby.

Attached: GOv1-106.jpg (1280x1920, 912K)

It wasn't even really a fit. they made some comments and the artist was like "you're wrong" and it turned into a dumb slapfight

Attached: GOv1-107.jpg (1280x1920, 651K)

Attached: GOv1-108.jpg (1280x1920, 621K)

>Smallville's John Glover Reveals His Secret #Shazam Role #ShazamMovie

mfw Shazam is in the Smallvilleverse

Attached: GOv1-109.jpg (1280x1920, 635K)

Ten bucks he voices Mister Mind

so this is what I'm curious about: that Carol retcon origin in the mini, the one that sucked--since it's definitely NOT in the movie, are they gonna let it stand?

Attached: GOv1-110.jpg (1280x1920, 598K)

I wonder why they even did it.
It reminds me of when Bendis killed Rhodey.

Have they brought back War Machine yet?

Yeah exactly

Yeah he's in Iron Man with a like tank suit thing.

Attached: GOv1-111.jpg (1280x1920, 772K)

Attached: GOv1-112.jpg (1280x1920, 839K)

is female furies still cackhanded?

Attached: GOv1-113.jpg (1280x1920, 427K)

Look, I'm very much against the idea of death of the author, but there's a difference between someone interpreting a work a certain way, and outright dismissing authorial intent. It sounds the artist was just being a bit oversensitive.

Is the Female Furies book any good, by the way? I've not heard great things about it, but I assume that's just Yea Forums being afraid of cooties again.

IME, the artist was oversensitive, but the critic just lives to score points off "female sexualization is ~violence~"

Attached: GOv1-114.jpg (1280x1920, 713K)

Yes.
Yes it is.

Hell, Scott Free is part of a group of bar punks because the Soldier boys just have it sooo much better

i still haven't read it because i'm annoyed with all the discourse from issue 1 desu.

yeah the big controversy imo was more that the artist wasn't tagged in the critique so they had to go searching for it than the art being horrible.

>Is the Female Furies book any good, by the way? I've not heard great things about it, but I assume that's just Yea Forums being afraid of cooties again.

It's....pretty fucking bad.
Like, maybe it would be better if it knew what tone it wanted to have.

It tries to be a cartoonish satire, but also play things incredibly dramatically, but that clashes like all hell and neither is done any good anyway.

It's a horrendous jumble and mess.

yeah, in general: don't termsearch, but feel free to roast critique you think is shit on your own timeline

Attached: GOv1-115.jpg (1280x1920, 428K)

>getting up in the middle of a movement

DIE

Attached: GOv1-116.jpg (1280x1920, 604K)

Attached: GOv1-117.jpg (1280x1920, 496K)

I'm not fond of the Trump references, they're very jarring and take you out of the story, and that shouldn't be a thing in a sci-fi superhero book. There are ways of approaching the same subject in more tactful ways without betraying or abandoning the message.

It's genuinely horrible.

>"female sexualization is violence"
... I mean, is that entirely incorrect? Let's be real here, comics have had a hideous track record of objectification. This critic may exaggerate, but she ain't wrong.

That's a shame. It was high time Barda got her own book, but we can't have nice things.

She got into it with Horrocks over the Cho WW covers. And sexy poses are not, in and of themselves, violence, and it diminishes violence to equate them.

Attached: GOv1-118.jpg (1280x1920, 448K)

Yeah, and I also lost it at that scene where all of the Furies, including Barda, start ranting out incredibly standard and common women insults all at once toward another Fury.

It's....wow.

>That's a shame. It was high time Barda got her own book, but we can't have nice things.

It's not really Barda's book either.
The central character is a side character who only appeared for like 6 panels in Mister Miracle #9 or so.
And the character arc they're giving Barda sorta ruins her character....a lot.

You can't demand female representation in action media and then get butt blasted when the work depicts violence against women.

Attached: GOv1-119.jpg (1280x1920, 473K)

Attached: GOv1-120.jpg (1280x1920, 347K)

As an aside we should read Rulk, both the excellent Jeff Parker stuff and the Loeb stupidity

Gotta love how when Loeb was on the Heroes writing staff there was a bit where a character raved about RULK

shit, we should, if you upload it

Attached: GOv1-121.jpg (1280x1920, 475K)

JFC MATT WAGNER

I like both

You gotta be shitting me

I liked his Red She-Hulk more, Betty is just an inherently more likeable character than her jackass dad who somehow became 13 years old when he got powers.

Now, the JFC MATT WAGNER page

Attached: GOv1-122.jpg (1280x1920, 523K)

NOW: Dean Motter, aka Mr. X

Attached: GOv1-123.jpg (1280x1920, 422K)

Yeah, there was a bit in a comic shop and the retailer was like "I KNOW you want Red Hulk"

Objectification isn't violence, they're two completely different subject matters and dummies shouldn't try to blur the two together.

That's not what the critic was complaining about.

Was it the Japanese guy? I think he's was the only token nerdy character in the series.

Attached: GOv1-124.jpg (1280x1920, 558K)

Huh. Look, I'm all for talking shit about President Wall-Mart, but not in a New Gods book. They're aliens, why do they give a shit about Earth politics?

No, and I hate to kinda be that guy right now, but sexy poses do to a degree encourage violence. Entirely too many people are incapable of engaging with sexually stimulating content without their feelings festering and manifesting as toxic behavior. Not saying we should sanitize media because of the shitters that ruin it for the rest of us, just pointing out that this does happen. A lot.

>Barda
>not the protagonist
Then what, pray tell, is the point?

Attached: GOv1-125.jpg (1280x1920, 418K)

Yeah just searched it up, he and Ando are in America and the retailer goes on about how "there's enough Red Hulks for everybody!"

>Then what, pray tell, is the point?

To tell a hardhitting story about how Apokolips is entirely about being misogynistic and nothing else.

> "there's enough Red Hulks for everybody!"

there were a lot of Hulks running around by the end of that.

i think it's a standard, new character comes in and we see the world through their eyes thing

They're not aliens, they're gods.

always side with Horrocks, Dylan or Sarah

They don't talk about Trump, they use terminology associated with him, it's really weird and off. I can't wait for Darkseid to make the OK hand sign.

It's also lazy when you consider that it's a very, very, tangential character that you can use to make some flimsy claim to the original series...but not a character that ever appears again so you can kill them off for DRAMA in the final issues.

Which is funny when #2 shows that Apokolips is just a city. It's a basic metropolitan city....just so they could have a bar setting the characters can hang out and get harassed by Scott Free and his school buddies.

twitter.com/mercurialblonde/status/727232376057679872

Attached: GOv1-126.jpg (1280x1920, 565K)

That Scott Free is one nasty DICK.

"Fictional characters can't consent to how they are drawn" will never not be the most batshit argument ever.

Attached: GOv1-127.jpg (1280x1920, 391K)

>To tell a hardhitting story about how Apokolips is entirely about being misogynistic and nothing else.
Dunno, Apokolips always seemed fairly egalitarian. Ol' rockface appears to give nary a fuck what you are, so long as you obey. Shit, Granny Goodness is the top boss bitch, often second only to Darkseid himself. Trying to make a statement on misogyny in regards to the New Gods reeks of square pegs and round holes.

Gotta love how the writer did an interview where they said this was all self evident in Kirby's original stuff then.

Hoo boy

> Sarah you're being an idiot
> It's weird, because I'm having a similar thought about you

Bless Sarah

Don't worry, everyone gives Granny and her Furies shit on this series for being women. Not hamfisted into an existing setting at all.

>egalitarian
Kind way of putting it. The basic idea of Apokolips is that it's dominated by order but that comes at the cost of individuality, the residents there don't think, they exist for Darkseid, they are brainwashed since they are kids to not have an opinion. Most miss this point but even the goddamn cartoon got this right.

Even Scott and the brainwashed Soldier Boys hang out a literal bar/diner just to do this.

>Page
>Not Found
>We're sorry but we can't seem find the page you requested.
>This might be because you have typed the web address incorrectly.

lol.

god i need to start writing about comics, stupid late capitalism keeping me too tired and beat down to do anything

I love her willingness to go to bat for shit she doesn't even really like because it deserves a chance too

Attached: GOv1-128.jpg (1280x1920, 417K)

I'm pretty sure I saved the original, I can send it on

Attached: GOv1-129.jpg (1280x1920, 479K)

i found it. is the headline about anus?

Oh man the scene where Darkseid's broken body gets carried away by slaves and he taunts Superman about it is 10/10

youtube.com/watch?v=phWcmwlpjQo

she's like the last critic that deserves respect after Stone sold out

>Udon a Bad Thing: Frank Cho, Anuses, and Visual Impact

Oh, updated link: womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/05/60805/

yes

Attached: GOv1-130.jpg (1280x1920, 573K)

I hate Superman's inclusion in all of this, and how dirty they did everyone else, but yeah....they got Apokolips down pat

Like, Horrocks is really into these batshit Italian comics that pull zero punches whatsoever, Frank Cho is weak tea compared to that stuff

Attached: GOv1-131.jpg (1280x1920, 538K)

Yeah in general I think making Darkseid a Superman/JL villain just renders Orion useless and defangs The New Gods as a whole, but DCAU did the best version of it I could imagine

Agreed. The first episode with the New Gods, the two parter dedicated to Kirby is perfect though. Perfect.

Attached: GOv1-132.jpg (1280x1920, 563K)

Agreed.
I have no idea what Orion did in that series at all.
The only thing anyone ever remembers about his DCAU version is that Flash episode where he talks to Trickster.

Indeed.
It hit hard as a kid.

>being openly sexist toward Granny Goodness and the Furies
... There are so many reasons why that is the dumbest shit ever. Not the least of which being it's a great way to die. Slowly.

Exactly. Sexism on Apokolips makes no sense, because there's no reason anyone would care or even think about that.

Once again it's strange to me to take the moralizing tone against Cho and not the more simple fact that they're bad, unfunny, drawings. I think she's kinda right? it's shitty that those kind of covers are like the background radiation of mainstream comics, though it's getting better. this is all well covered territory

Loeb Hulk threads are genuinely one of my favorite Yea Forums memories

Attached: GOv1-133.jpg (1280x1920, 562K)

My favorite Yea Forums memories include those totally insane Ults threads, what was it when the dude got to ULTIMATE COMICS: AVENGERS

Attached: GOv1-134.jpg (1280x1920, 482K)

I unironically love Tyrone Cash and NERD HULK

Attached: GOv1-135.jpg (1280x1920, 598K)

Attached: GOv1-136.jpg (1280x1920, 501K)

I have to believe we're only one or two issues away from a lowly Parademon giving the Furies sass about their gender.

ANTHONY....king of the vampires

the WEDIHULK reveal is legit one of my top comics moments and it's in a back up

Ultimate Comics Ultimates rules. I even like the vampire arc

Yeah when a lot of critics seem really into the Nobrow/Koyama type stuff it's refreshing to see Sarah go to bat for unashamedly trash entertainment.

>Shakes twice
>tucks left
A man of civility and gentility.

How about when Millar created a new teenage Daredevil wearing the original costume for some reason and then he became a vampire and died.

and her critiques of both Saga and Bitch Planet really cut to why they don't work (especially "in relation to the value with which they have been invested"), so I keep coming back to them

that was lit

Attached: GOv1-137.jpg (1280x1920, 550K)

My brain feels broken cause I don't get the inherent problem with misogyny on Apokolips

it not being a literal hellhole is strange tho

>Are creative types just inherently pervy?
People are inherently pervy. Creative types just have a socially acceptable outlet.

There's nothing wrong with it....in fact it's a great plot conceit. I will stand here and admit that.

But the series frames it as a special evil.
In fact, the preeminent evil.

When everything is fucked,

I like that he realized there was no merit to an "Ultimate Daredevil" in any way whatsoever so he just dumped the idea and everyone afterwards apparently agreed.

SO I haven't read the book, but: Kirby tweaked a lot of what you might have expected for the time with Granny and the Furies, in some ways. To just revert it to "but they were actually fighting sexism!" and not engage on a more subversive level is, IMO, dull.

One more? I got more beer.

Attached: GOv1-138.jpg (1280x1920, 303K)

Also helped that the previous Ultimate Daredevil only appeared, like, 3 times and was killed off screen so FUCK IT.

Hell, Granny and TIGRA have this asinine "women gotta stick together" bit that makes no sense because of who they are and what Granny did to her.

I'm glad people are realizing how much of a hack castelluci is.
I've had to endure so much
>b-but Shade is good guys!
over the last two years.

The problem with cheesecakey art is, as with all things in art, the framing. The script is telling you a heroine is cool badass who saves the day and gets shit done. But the art is extenuating her sexual characteristics, and therefore telling you that it's time to fap. Framing is important, and directly influences how the audience views a piece of media.

Also, Cho's penchant for cheesecake only enhances how much of a tryhard douchebag he is.

peter being like "I knew him so well!!!" and they met like once and DD was an asshole''

it's really funny how Perez is so good he never got that much shit for Starfire.

Wasn't there a couple Daredevil and Elektra minis by Mike Carey? His Ultimate work was really lacking in quality compared to the rest of his portfolio.
Ultimate Vision was weird.

Yeah.
I think the best that Ultimate Matt ever got it was his cameo in Ultimates 2.
Like, that's a short order.

>peter being like "I knew him so well!!!" and they met like once and DD was an asshole''
Hahahah spot on

Shade is good

>In DCSHG, the immortal Amazons are over 8 feet tall. Diana is shrimpy because at only 317 years old, she's still growing. #DCSuperHeroGirls

lmao

Steve's got it made in the shade

eh fuck it back Wednesday

going to go berate the dog a few more times

see you then, thanks for posting!

Thanks OP!

>starts writing ultimate FF
>ends up just doing his interpretation of the Fourth World
At least his X-Men/X-men Legacy was pretty good, when it wasn't getting pulled into the yearly mandatory X-crossover events.
He even got his own crossover to cap off most of his run.

Kori is a somewhat special case, she's the archetypal exotic alien princess, so she is to a degree designed to be a sexual character. But, take note that under Perez's pen, the cheesecake was absent during fight scenes or dramatic moments where such elements would be intrusive and undermining. You can see this in Wonder Woman as well. Occasionally, Diana would get a bit of a loving leer from the camera, but only when it wouldn't distract from important stuff.

And that Fourth World riff wasn't half bad, although his last few arcs were undeniably shit.

DD only had one mini, Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra written by Greg Rucka, and from the title you can already guess Elektra hijacks the entire thing because for some reason they figured making Daredevil pretty much exactly the same as his 616 version was good enough. Elektra then got her own mini written Mike Carey, went on to be a bit character in Ultimate Spider-Man who or may not have died according to wikis and then was never mentioned again (so, died)
What a waste of... everything, really.

Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

Again, pets are a trip.

>Diana is the littlest Amazon
Cute!

Dang can't read along tonight. Sorry to have missed.

bump, this was a good read

Rich didn't choose to hire Jude, he was made to.

God I cannot stand how CN has made being the nanny of comics her entire persona.