I blame Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad for now solidifying that EVERY single action scene now has to be...

I blame Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad for now solidifying that EVERY single action scene now has to be scored by some classic oldies or generally poppy song. It happened in Captain Marvel despite not matching the tone of the movie at all. It happens all the time in Umbrella Academy, Doom Patrol, Preacher, Legion, etc. The only cape shows that don't do this are shows that were already pre-established before GotG and SS but even these shows often fall prey to it with a couple of instances in The Flash and Agents of SHIELD.

Attached: Awesome_Mix_Vol._1.jpg (1500x1500, 476K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fhhbua6ELxo
youtube.com/watch?v=t1WWDBTda2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(soundtrack)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can understand Captain Marvel doing it because from my understanding the movie is trying to get you nostalgic of the good ol' days or whatever, but it is shitty. I am thankful base Russos don't ever do it imagine how shitty it would have been if Led Zeppelin or whatever started to play when Thor arrived in Wakanda during Infinity War.

In the case of SS, much of the songs were made for the movie. I think that was so they could throw another marketing angle in there ("All these songs by these hip artists! Come watch our movie and buy the album!"). I think it's really just for nostalgia points and nothing else. The problem with that is the original score suffers.

Yeah Russos seem like they want to keep to the cinematic-ness of the movies. They however do it a lot in Deadly Class which they are directing but music does play a huge role in Remender's comics

that reminds me of scene from Sincity where the guy is crushing other guy's head with some shitty song in the background, i don't remember where i saw it but it was hillarious

It made sense with GotG because it was thematically appropriate with Peter, a man who never grew up and whose most treasured keepsake was a mixtape of old pop music from his mom.

Suicide Squad did it because they were aping GotG.

This was a thing well before GotG, GotG just happened to be one of the only examples where it works.

All they did was copy Dreamworks.

It didn't work in Captain Marvel because 90's music is SHIT.

Learn from your masters, young one

Attached: Screenshot_20190310-190242~01.jpg (1920x1080, 234K)

literally no other marvel movies do this. pretty sure no other dc ones do either. pretty sure youre just here to complain about these three specific movies.

in the 00s, tie in soundtracks were everywhere, they barely exist at all anymore.

What other movies besides Guardians, Shrek, and Captain Marvel does this?

Not to mention it was mostly diegetic because the contents of the tapes were used as framing devices.

I DON’T GIVE A DAMN BOUT MY BAD REPUTATION!

Movies already did this since the early 2000's it's kind of like how in te 80's training montages needed to have music playing. In Guardians of the Galaxy at least it made some sense to have the music there is not limited to just fighting scenes and the music ties to Peter's mother and it's meaningful to him because it's the last thing he had of her. It's also a form of not having Peter let go of the pass.

The zune idea I guess breaks a lot of that (it's not from his mother and it doesn't have music from his past) but they had to find a way to keep the music theme for vol. 3.

It was bad in Suicide Squad and in Captain Marvel it was just "Durrhurr remember the 90's"

Ragnarok and Suicide Squad, I guess you could say Into the Spider-Verse too
Shrek isn't a superhero movie

Not that user but Ragnarok really have that many? There was that one song that played at the beginning and end, as well as the Willy Wonka song, but the rest was either synth or orchestral iirc

watchmen

It was really Tarantino who started this trend

youtube.com/watch?v=Fhhbua6ELxo

Was the World's End Pre-GOTG?

Like, this is something I would do when I was a teenager when I listen to music and timed it in my head, but the people who are uninspired when they do it just bring the technique down. The tempo of the fight should match the tempo of the song. Captain Marvel's use was just so weird.

I didn't see CM but 90s music is definitely shit so I'm gonna believe you.

>>Ctrl F Kingsmen
>>No results

This is the best form of this sort of scene and you can't convince me otherwise.

youtube.com/watch?v=t1WWDBTda2Y

Like, this is the pinnacle to a fight set to music.

A lot of action movies that want to add some kind of lighthearted tone to their actions scenes do it. But it's also a staple in a lot of 3D animated movies. It's used to make viewers born during the time the music was popular to feel nostalgic and enjoy it more. It's very common once you pay attention to whenever it happens.

It's also a thing in Iron Man 2. Favreau said it was pretty difficult and costly to get a remix of Robot Rock.

>movie uses actual good music in its soundtrack
>complain
I don't understand

I don't remember any instances of it happening with animated movies

Guardians use of music worked because they made it serve an actual purpose. The songs used are exactly the kind you would hear in the year he was abducted as a kid, and the fact they were a reminder of his mom is a reason for him to keep playing it as an adult.

They also tried to make the music fit each scene. Flying through Knowhere to Moonage Daydream fits. A montage to Cherry Bomb fits. Peter reading his mom's last letter, followed by happy endings for everyone, while Ain't No Mountain High Enough plays fits. Both uses of The Chain fit. They even made Brandy important to the actual story.

Then there are the moments where they deliberately pick the least fitting song possible for comedy. I admit to loving unfitting music scenes in anything.

Attached: 1460586578493.jpg (386x395, 45K)

it works to great effect when it works, it's just really bad when it's overdone or doesn't.

Consider that marvel's soundtracks were infamous unmemorable before they started putting licensed tracks in their films. Nobody remembers sad orchestral score #52 that played when yinsen died in iron man, i'd wager most people that've seen it remember immigrant song at the end of thor.

Hey you leave Legion outta this, it only has like one actual fight per season, and I only remember the one song in the last episode of S2. Anything else it does is solely because Noah Hawley's a weirdo.

Attached: Amahl_Farouk_The_Shadow_King.jpg (1200x675, 82K)

I love the MCU but the soundtracks are pretty lackluster. The only original songs I can recall from the top of my head are
>Avengers theme
>Guardians theme
>Black Tears

opps was made for black panther iirc and that song was pretty rad

i haven't seen the movie yet, but my friend told me its Lilith Fair: the soundtrack, ie all late 90s lesbian "rock"

Winter Soldier had some great sound design, it's a shame they didn't really give any other character their own distinct character sound motif it would've been neat if someone like Thanos was accompanied with a memorable theme

Gwen Stefani is the one that's played during the climax of the movie

No Doubt, I guess?

Is Wonder Woman the most memorable Superhero theme of the last 10 years or so?

youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

I hope you're joking.

Nope, it's played during her climatic battle.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(soundtrack)
>Additional music featured in the film includes "Just a Girl" by No Doubt

The problem with Skwad was way overdoing it. They had like six fucking songs in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

>Shrek isn't a superhero movie
Bullshit, otherwise he wouldn't be a part of a Super hero team then.

Attached: sense of right alliance.jpg (500x375, 52K)

Well in gotg it fit but in ss it was laughable

This makes me sad, really.

Manasteal has a better theme song. When that piano kicks in I still feel a twinkle in my eye

Here's the full listing
>Additional music featured in the film includes "Whatta Man" by Salt-N-Pepa, "Connection" by Elastica, "Only Happy When It Rains" by Garbage, "Waterfalls" by TLC, "Come as You Are" by Nirvana, "Just a Girl" by No Doubt, "Man on the Moon" by R.E.M., "Celebrity Skin" by Hole, "Crazy on You" by Heart, "Kiss Me Deadly" by Lita Ford, and "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree.[7][8] The Radio Times praised the selection of tracks saying "Once again, Marvel has absolutely nailed its movie soundtrack" but also notes that the songs are not well integrated with the film, in the way James Gunn achieved with Guardians of the Galaxy.[9]

of course its the most popular song from them

>Blame something misunderstood because people don't understand it
you know that bazooka you're clumsily handling can be turned on you with ease, right?

It kind of fit with Umbrella Academy, the whole show was cheesy as fuck in a way I personally enjoyed. I was mostly there to see Sheehan reprise Nathan from Misfits though, and mostly got that. Except Klaus was less sociopathic and actually got character development, but I don't have a preference either way.

It's weird. Nothing in that show was GOOD but it was memorable. The bank robbery really stuck, as did that scene of Hazel and Cha-cha burning down the lab while stoned.

Titan AE