JSA Storytime: Grendel

Good evening owls,

Had a request for the silent chapter before we ????

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-272.jpg (1280x1920, 1.09M)

So today I was digging through my longboxes and realized hey! I own most of this run.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-273.jpg (1280x1920, 1.25M)

Hello, Storyteller.

So here's the thing. The new Superhero Girls show got me thinking. The whole cutification of superheroines has often been rightfully derided as the oft used tool of the hack writer who doesn't know what to do with a character. However, I couldn't help but notice that nobody seems to mind when it happens to Wondy. And I think the reason it works for her, and not others, is that Diana has always been a total goob, so it makes sense to have her do the cutsey shtick.

End of blog.

Also, I like the ice cream thing.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-274.jpg (1280x1920, 1.19M)

she's just cute dang it

wait, what

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-275.jpg (1280x1920, 1.03M)

Hi OP!

Today's library booksale find: the first printing of the Squadron Supreme trade for $3. So I guess I now own a little bit of Mark Gruenwald.

Supergirl is my favorite superhero show, I like it more than any actual current DC comics
>make superheroes cute again!

oh shit, that's great

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-276.jpg (1280x1920, 1.22M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-277.jpg (1280x1920, 1.25M)

there is so much going on on every page of this issue

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-278.jpg (1280x1920, 1.27M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-279.jpg (2560x1920, 2.55M)

quiet night, owls

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-280.jpg (2560x1920, 2.52M)

"Subcultural rules" reminds me of that story about the hipster that sued for using his likeness to illustrate a story about hipsters looking alike - only to discover that it was a likeness of a different hipster.

google search 'stock photo of hipster', it's amazing

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-281.jpg (1280x1920, 1.21M)

She really is. Playing up this angle probably helped the WW film a lot.

This art is just weird, by the way. Can't put my finger on it, but it's kind of off.

It's not like the show has all that high a bar to reach. DC's output lately has been utterly dismal and completely lacking in any real creative spark. SHG at least has some fuckin energy and life in it.

Also, I demand Diana's tan and Kara's muscles become canon in the comics. Goddamn.

the art here is really feeling 80s comix to me

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-282.jpg (1280x1920, 1.37M)

now I feel the urge to watch some Liquid Television

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-283.jpg (1280x1920, 908K)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-284.jpg (1280x1920, 847K)

hi

HI user

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-285.jpg (1280x1920, 1.28M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-286.jpg (1280x1920, 968K)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-287.jpg (1280x1920, 1.06M)

You can fit a lot of detail into a page that isn't stuffed full of extraneous word balloons and useless caption boxes. I swear, so many comic writers seem to want to write for print. Silent issues like this are extremely rare because comics never shut the hell up.

That's why it looks weird! It looks like subdued Aeon Flux.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-288.jpg (1280x1920, 1.12M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-289.jpg (2560x1920, 2.29M)

Hi OP
Fuck superhero movies

agreed

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-290.jpg (2560x1920, 2.05M)

watch Death of Stalin

ouch?

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-291.jpg (2560x1920, 1.55M)

agree to disagree

this is very good

Attached: D1QP_CzVsAEu0ct.jpg (960x960, 136K)

The genre really has become oversaturated. It's at least three to fine a year now. Fuck.

When the hell is Spielberg gonna get around to making that Blackhawks movie? Bring back the pulps!

What separates Diana from Superman and Batman to me is her humanity, but it's the converse of the characters who are human because they're flawed and complicated; her enthusiasm for life is endearing, like someone who despite all the craziness they see and the high-pressure, iconic spot they occupy, still manages to stay positive and full of wonderment.

after he saves musicals

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-292.jpg (1280x1920, 1.05M)

I'll never understand America's fascination with musicals.

SO, we actually read Devil by the Deed in Mage, so...

Attached: GOv1-046.jpg (1280x1920, 428K)

Attached: GOv1-047.jpg (1280x1920, 574K)

Right. She manages to, somehow, still see the best in people regardless of who they are. Status quo will always stop her from convincing the likes of Circe and Cheetah the error of their ways, but she'll always try, dammit.

Diana may be stern, serious, even a bit haughty at times, but she's still a nice gal who wants you to be your best self.

look at that art lineup

Attached: GOv1-048.jpg (1280x1920, 786K)

It's insane.

I like Wonderwoman because she kills bad guys, has a badass sword and is like DC's Thor :)

>barely censored fellatio, bare ass, and visible nipple

I have some issues of FOUR DEVILS, ONE HELL and they have this big NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!! on the front

like no shit, man, Grendel: not for kids

Attached: GOv1-049.jpg (1280x1920, 696K)

Attached: GOv1-050.jpg (1280x1920, 726K)

I want to read a thing about Grendel's place with other 80s anti heroes and black and white comics

Attached: GOv1-051.jpg (1280x1920, 633K)

Attached: GOv1-052.jpg (1280x1920, 729K)

Attached: GOv1-053.jpg (1280x1920, 730K)

Attached: GOv1-054.jpg (1280x1920, 721K)

>Kara's muscles become canon in the comics. Goddamn.
That's literally just Power Girl, and don't you think she's a dumb character?

Hey OP.

Lucky/committed/well, you were a comic fan in the 90s.

>spring casual

I am not down with frog murder, that's awful

Attached: GOv1-055.jpg (1280x1920, 477K)

So, who is this guy? Should I remember him, or has Christine not encountered him yet as of last storytime?

he was the cop trying to find her

I think I was bin diving and got a bundle of things cheap

it's the cop who beat the shit out of her boyfriend

Attached: GOv1-056.jpg (1280x1920, 602K)

Attached: GOv1-057.jpg (1280x1920, 584K)

Damn. Nice find.

Benoist is about as ideally cute an actress as they could have found for Supergirl, but I really feel like the show has always struggled with keeping their preachiness in check. Messages too often spoil the writing on the show.

Attached: GOv1-058.jpg (1280x1920, 559K)

Attached: GOv1-059.jpg (1280x1920, 567K)

I keep hearing shit about Heroes in Crisis, and Doomsday Clock, and I wonder what the fucking point even is. Both were bad ideas, and they really should be mercy cancelled. Just let it die already.

I dislike both Kara and Karen for being a nebulous non-entity and an obnoxious bitch respectively. I do like dem muscles though.

>No Gasmask no service

Truly, the future of the Smog Warning Era.

He deserved the embarrassment for appropriating Daddy.

I can't tell if Shanley is a troll or not

Attached: GOv1-060.jpg (1280x1920, 537K)

Yeah, this artstyle could easily have been a show next to The Maxx, Aeon Flux, and The Head.

Attached: GOv1-061.jpg (1280x1920, 568K)

>tfw so disappointed with Marvel recently that I stopped doing even fan work based on it, stopped visiting Yea Forums and started my own original game

I kind of wish there would be some news about some new comic out there... Feel like forever since a new comic was announced but then again, maybe I just forgot about them because they sounded like shit.

There's a weirdness to Heroes in Crisis that I like. It feels like sincere? Doomsday Clock is just bad Johns continuity fixing.

I saw there was a Jonni Thunder who was a PI and I want her to come back

queen

good for you

I'm liking HIGH LEVEL with one issue out

Attached: GOv1-062.jpg (1280x1920, 590K)

Ah, man, what did Stan Lee ever do to you, Future Punx?

And now, Mike Allred!

Attached: GOv1-063.jpg (1280x1920, 716K)

UPSIDE DOWN HEAD PEPE.
HE WAS ALWAYS PLAGIARISM.

It was an okay first issue but it didn't blow my socks off. Bit generic. And that was announced forever ago, it just took a long time to come out.

Speaking of Allred, I do look forward to more X-Statix.

I don't think Naomi is from the future but I'm still gonna analyze this to figure out if it could be Legionnaires.

Attached: probably parents.png (350x437, 364K)

yeah, it didn't floor me in 22 pages, but it did what it was doing very well--it wasn't overwritten, and there's more than enough of a hook in it to make me wonder where it's going

Attached: GOv1-064.jpg (1280x1920, 656K)

Songs are a good alternative to classic monologues.

Live theater is a unique artform.

Ask OP. Her love of Opera is basically a love of the ancestor of musicals.

This story then I gotta uhhh, go bathe the dog before it gets too late, but we'll be back tomorrow!

she likes to sleep on the bed, she can't get doggy

Attached: GOv1-065.jpg (1280x1920, 596K)

Okay, for some reason I mixed him up with Robot Eye Cop.

REE BLUE HAIRED GURL KISSING A GURL

Johns is far too concerned with trying to have his work be the definitive, iconic version, he'd be better off just writing a damn story instead of sucking his own cock.

>Jonni Thunder P.I
I like her already. Can we get a book about a woman trying to solve crimes with the power of the genie? Sounds a lot more interesting than all this Dr. Manhattan crap.

Operas aren't musicals at all, the narrative is different, the spectacle is different, the composition is different. Same thing with Bollywood musicals, they're similar but fundamentally not the same at all.

there's...a continuum, but it helps to know your operas-comique/operettas, for the Missing Link

Attached: GOv1-066.jpg (1280x1920, 714K)

the spectacle's not the same per se, but there's a lot of parallels between a Meyerbeer with the grand ballet in the middle and a big dance production number

Attached: GOv1-067.jpg (1280x1920, 732K)

Nice. I hit a used bookstore and looked for out-of-print and never-gonna-be-reprinted stuff. I found
>Straub and Bolton's "The Green Woman" hardcover OGN for $6
>Colleen Doran (and a writer's) "Gone to Amerikay" sealed HC OGN for $6
>JMD's Vertigo reprint of his Epic series "Blood - A Tale" for $9.

Attached: GOv1-068.jpg (1280x1920, 751K)

>Can we get a book about a woman trying to solve crimes with the power of the genie?
Are you willing to buy at least 15K copies to ensure it's publication?

Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

Doggy bath time is a very unglamorous adventure.

Seriously though, I don't get the hate for the ice cream thing. J'onn is allowed to like cookies, but Diana isn't allowed to have a favorite treat? Double standard bullshit.

I treasure my copy of The Dragon Waiting because kids, don't die without a will like John M. Ford, dammit.

she's much better than the old man was! He just hated it. And let me know.

Attached: GOv1-069.jpg (1280x1920, 729K)

Stopping Yea Forumsnsumption is probably good for the soul. This place sucks.

LOL

back tomorrow! thanks for reading!

Attached: GOv1-070.jpg (1280x1920, 751K)

I haven't been here for several weeks, and I think I've finished more video games than I did in all of 2018

That's an unfair question. We all know full well that DC sucks ass at marketing anything that isn't Batman, and the majority of readers are largely uninterested in anything that isn't Batman, partially because of said overexposure. Even the recent successes of the Wonder Woman and Aquaman films have done nothing to increase comic sales. Audiences have been trained to not put any stock in smaller names, because those titles will simply die off in a few months. Vicious cycle.

DQ11 is so good, Tex. SO GOOD.

So its kinda like that picture of the vinegar tasters in the sense that dianna is taoism

Now i want a picture of the trinity as the vinegar tasters

It definitely is

Attached: 20190307193357_1.jpg (1920x1080, 303K)

Yeah, I've been cutting back on this and working on backlog a lot more too.

I think I'm getting a PS4, I haven't gamed in a long long time except casual MK and stuff with friends and I haven't owned a console since PS2. I'm cutting back on spending on comics so I'm going to afford it and the two dozen games I'm interested in.

also everything about Sylvando

There's a bunch of games I wanna play but it's just been Apex and Tetris99.

New From at the end of the month tho. and i might get the dragon quest for switch

See, the alpha move here would've been to hang a hankerchief with "No. Fuck off." on it. But this is Grendel. He doesn't go after people with guts.

>painted the police as something only slightly less than obscene
Too easy.

Only Brown girl Legionaire I can think of is Jenni.

This boy needs a kick in the nuts. Holy fuck boyo, get over yourself.