Maybe I'm in the ultra-minority here, but season 1 of Futurama was my favorite...

Maybe I'm in the ultra-minority here, but season 1 of Futurama was my favorite, where it was more about Fry being a "fish out of water" adapting to the future, and the humor was more dry.

I was surprised to see many people say "Hey Futurama's first season wasn't good, give Disenchantment a chance to improve".

Attached: Futurama1dvd.jpg (261x375, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v4nLrDtwBcs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice blog.

Phoneposting zoomer with a short attention span

I have issues when they try an emotional atmospheric episode with a bunch of ugly half-lovable characters nobody could give a fuck about. It feels forced to shove comedy characters into romantic tragedy roles. The voice of Peggy Bundy didn't help much either.

It's surprising somebody would say it was flat out not good. It was a bit all over the place, but most shows do that until they find proper footing.

Futurama is best when doing high-concept comedy science fiction episodes, and S1 clearly has less of those than the following seasons

Attached: f.gif (480x360, 3.23M)

While season 1 was not my favorite, you're not alone in liking it for that reason. I like when jokes are given a chance to land, and everything doesn't feel so tightly timed. When a show is too efficient, it loses spontaneity.

I actually liked Disenchantment for the same reason, and also feel this way about the earlier Phineas and Ferb seasons.

(And then again, the following seasons have shit like Bender Shouldnt Be Allowed on Television)

WE'RE WHALERS OF THE M-*click*

>Fry being a "fish out of water" adapting to the future
wasn't that because of executive meddling? Originally they just wanted an animated sitcom set in the future

Well the execs probably didn't impose it firmly since they dropped the fish out of water idea rather quickly.

Never heard anyone say that Futurama's first season wasn't good. It's been my favorite since I first ever watched the show and I completely agree about the dryer humor.

If it was, it was the right call. The setting is too unhinged to not have a proxy for the audience

>Never heard anyone say that Futurama's first season wasn't good.

After Disenchantment season 1 came out and was apparently mediocre, I saw a lot of people on social media saying "Hey Futurama season 1 was pretty bad, Disenchantment just needs more time to develop".

Disenchantment is the worst thing I've ever seen in my entire life while Futurama season 1 is peak television, so I fear we may have some shills among us.

So what were your thoughts on the other futurama seasons?

3 and 4 is where the rot sets in and a lot of terrible episodes start popping up, like the mars episodes, when bender becomes a pharaoh or when bender dates the spaceship or when bender becomes a car. Lots of Bender. But there were still great eps on a semi-frequent basis.

2 and 5 are peak, 2 for comedy and 5 for the feels.

Nu-rama is underrated but not amazing.

>using broadcast season
oh shit nigger what are you doing

All seasons were good. Like fine wine it just got better with age. Another thing it has over Disenchantment were the feels. Futurama had a surprising number of them.

Disenchantment is still pretty new, I mean, I've noticed the one thing it has over futurama is it's far less reliant on pop culture jokes as a punchline

>where it was more about Fry being a "fish out of water" adapting to the future

I enjoyed that too, but it's impossible to keep that aspect in future seasons, after Fry has lived in the future for over a year.

>not liking Bender Shouldn't Be Allowed on Television

iirc execs wanted a buddy fry/bender sitcom, the buying a flat episode was born from that. writers gave them what they wanted only for one episode so theyd shutup.

I dont get why people do this. I figure everyone would be used to the DVD releases since fox made it impossible to catch on tv.

That's how it aired and that's how I saw it. DVDfags are basically posers. It also puts the show into the "last season cures the rot" category, like Scrubs did with season 8 and not seaosn 9.

Season one had a lot of top tier episodes.

It happenned to me with cleveland show before it tried to be Just another family guys, season one was wierd but it had its moments even Tho everyone hates it

Bender and try work great together tho

Bender and Fry are great, but Planet Express (as an occupation) and Leela are necessary foils

Who the fuck is retarded enough to consider seeing the episodes in the wrong order a point of pride?

Honestly the fish out of water concept worked great because it was necessary to establish the setting and get fry have a permanent residence to live in. It did its job and did it well.

youtube.com/watch?v=v4nLrDtwBcs

My favorite joke in the entire series is in the very first episode

They explain this later, though. The arms can be controlled wirelessly.

Something about disenchanted just falls completely flat for me and I really can't put my finger on it, but it has something to do with the sound quality. Everything about it sounds cheap and somehow it is impacting the timing of the comedy to me.

I do like Bean's voice though, I will say.

That was a good episode if only for Bender's "hit your kids" monologue.

The "fish out of water" premise was good but could only last so long after Fry has been living in the future for years. It honestly was good character development: there were a few episodes that showed how far Fry had come (like meeting with his past ex) and demonstrated that, at this point, Fry fit in better into the bizarre future than he ever did the 90s.

The criticism that the show became faster pace is valid. I don't agree with it, but I get where you're coming from. Later (pre-canceled) Futurama basically became a hurricane of puns and visual gags, and I loved it, but I see why it might punch less.

bump