JSA Storytime: Grendel

Good evening owls,

back to where we left off

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-221.jpg (1280x1920, 1.03M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-222.jpg (1280x1920, 1.34M)

those are some pointy tits

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-223.jpg (2560x1920, 2.22M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-224.jpg (2560x1920, 3.55M)

the thick lines on this are wild

I can't get over the red-headed dude, either, he's the most 80s thing I've ever seen

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-225.jpg (1280x1920, 1.41M)

Furious I’m working tonight and can’t read this finale until later.

Hi OP!! Doomsday Clock is so dumb

What happened in this issue?

HI user

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-226.jpg (1280x1920, 1.48M)

after this it's right back to DQ11 because TWEEEST and I'm playing the game almost completely unspoiled (I used some guides for the crossbow targets) and zomg

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-227.jpg (1280x1920, 1.47M)

Doctor Manhattan talking about Ferro Lad was fucking surreal

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-228.jpg (1280x1920, 1.41M)

Basically all the heroes except the trinity went to mars to fight Manhattan and got owned. Guy Gardner got to say shit though. Manhattan also went to the future to see dead Ferro Lad

The best panel was Lex asking Lois about Wally.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-229.jpg (1280x1920, 1.43M)

This art style with that design burned itself into my eyes the first time I read this.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-230.jpg (1280x1920, 1.39M)

Gotta say I guess I don't actually like Grendel. The amount of text in and the internal narrative in this really takes any impact out of the action for me.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-231.jpg (1280x1920, 1.16M)

It's funny how DC have just fallen back on their old shit after Rebirth.

To be fair, Grendel 2 isn’t something I would put as a high mark. It’s interesring but the highlight is the prologue story.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-232.jpg (1280x1920, 1.3M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-233.jpg (1280x1920, 1.25M)

Nothing... as always.

this isn't, like, the best thing we've ever read, but it's so weird in some ways I'm fascinated where this even came out of

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-234.jpg (1280x1920, 1.07M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-235.jpg (1280x1920, 1.49M)

The vampire planet in GL was the corniest shit ever and I really loved it.

Also this post is accurate

so tell me about Bloodborne because I know some people who are weirdly fond of it

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-236.jpg (1280x1920, 1.14M)

It's a game. Play it.

oh ps4 only, lol

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-237.jpg (1280x1920, 1.19M)

Hello, Storyteller.

Green Lantern was pretty solid, yet again. It's almost like proper pacing makes a story much more enjoyable or something.

>the vampire planet is called "Vorr"
I mean really though.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-238.jpg (1280x1920, 1.11M)

Oh lol

Attached: and he means literal snowflakes.png (636x336, 42K)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-239.jpg (1280x1920, 1.29M)

SO: 1) do we want to keep on with the rest of this story which is weird shit with Argent 2) what else do we want to read because next storytime is Saturday

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-240.jpg (1280x1920, 1.32M)

>old ways
Always been retarded trying to play catch up.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-241.jpg (1280x1920, 1.1M)

Furious we didn’t get him seeing some proper crazy Legion stuff

It’s April 20th, 2965. I see Space Moby Dick off the forward bow.

Ferro Lad dying in 3019 and not his proper time of 2960something upset me

I think you would hate it because it's a high-intensity punishing failure action game. But if you're into Souls style stuff it's insanely good, and the world it builds up is kind of Victorian/Lovecraftian horror and completely fine with lurching into some dark and less-explored (at least in mainstream) spaces. To me it runs with its inspirations in some original and extremely complimentary lines, so it's hard for me to look at it and not think 'this fucking works'

The NEGASUN at DEATHNOON

Such a good fucking issue. I loved how DND it randomly was, plus the blood goth architecture was so bloodborne

Hey Dave have you seen/what did you think of Alita?

I re-read the first 10 chapters of the manga after I watched it and I thought it was insane how much stuff was directly adapted.

>It’s April 20th, 2965. I see Space Moby Dick off the forward bow.
This would have redeemed Doomsday Clock for me.

Seriously glad you're enjoying it!

>high-intensity punishing failure action game
yeah, noooooo

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-242.jpg (1280x1920, 1.42M)

What's the deal with Hawk/antiHawk autist? They've been spamming for months now

Tex now I have to rebuild my Zoom location library goddammit!!!!

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-243.jpg (1280x1920, 943K)

some people are just fucking stupid, I think?

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-244.jpg (1280x1920, 1.29M)

Between Creature of The Night and The Seeds being on hiatus, the comic book industry is in a really depressing state, has been for 3 years now. Thank God for Green Lantern, for no other reason than the fact that it's so genuine with it's insanity, it just believes itself instead of being yet another post ironic piece of fiction.

>Captain Atom exploded AGAIN in Doomsday Clock

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-245.jpg (1280x1920, 1.39M)

The Countess was straight up DM'ing Hal's solo session. It was fuckin' great.

Also, Sharpe's art really suits the aesthetic. His style is usually hit or miss for me, but the dark coloring and scratchy inks just works here.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-246.jpg (1280x1920, 911K)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-247.jpg (1280x1920, 1.24M)

Spamming? on Yea Forums? impossible. Now let's talk about Jim Gordon wanting the Joker raped, how Marvel always rehashes "Dr. Doom as omnipotent" and calls it a masterpiece, fanfiction about the inside workings of the big 2 and while we're at it, let's have a casting thread.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-248.jpg (1280x1920, 1.02M)

>liking morrishit

Attached: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (640x480, 47K)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-249.jpg (1280x1920, 1.08M)

I though #1 and #3 were fine but really enjoyed #2 and #4 and #5 was half meh pages and half really amazing ones. He's inconsistent as fuck, but it's fine, considering modern standards.

hi sugartits

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-250.jpg (1280x1920, 1.17M)

I really enjoyed it.
It was definitely written at the same time as Titanic and Avatar, but it had a little key things that made it run smoother as a character piece. Really well done if very cornball at times.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-251.jpg (1280x1920, 1.14M)

Is there any other interesting Wagner we could read?

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-252.jpg (1280x1920, 1.13M)

Double back and get some Shadow and Hunter Rose in.

we could read omni 1, if there's something in particular in it?

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-253.jpg (1280x1920, 1.43M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-254.jpg (1280x1920, 1.3M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-255.jpg (1280x1920, 1.19M)

His Batman stuff? I mean yeah, it's Batman, but he does a good job, and it's a really good approach to remaking a Golden Age Batman story: use the basic Bill Finger premise while updating the script, and jettison every possible Bob Kane "contribution"

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-256.jpg (1280x1920, 1.18M)

I really do wish writers would stop trying to be clever and deep, cause they demonstrably are not. Just tell a story. Stop trying to redefine, stop trying to deconstruct, just tell a story. For fucks sake.

Morrison can be damn good when he gets his head out of his ass and lays off the meta shit.

Also, this meme was never funny. Stop trying to force it. And if you are genuine, stop anyway, cause nobody gives a shit.

I feel like the two bigger stories are either the original piece or the larger one at the end. And the latter is rather spoilery.

>Adam Hughes once bragged about being the first person to get Diana's nipples printed
>and yet there was Earth 2 Diana in Infinity Inc #5

I recently finished reading this, and wasn't too impressed. They seemed to do more talking about heroics than actually doing them (and being very dramatic all the time).
Mister Bones was definitely the highlight of it.

So this story is actually long--it ends on page 370, and then there are two trippy as fuck followups, but they're both kind of not great on the screen, so lemme look at omni 1 and think

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-257.jpg (1280x1920, 1.36M)

>The Countess was straight up DM'ing Hal's solo session. It was fuckin' great.
I want them to bone

I forgot to attach the page

Attached: RCO015_w_1464859062.jpg (1988x3156, 2.87M)

II has some vintage Todd McFarlane pimpin' capes in it, too

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-258.jpg (1280x1920, 1.15M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-259.jpg (1280x1920, 1.18M)

>readcomicsonline
pathethic

IMO Omnibus 1 is mostly short stories that we could use as interstitials.

The one with the visions of the future fucked me up since I don’t know where Grendel is going. Shit looks insane

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-260.jpg (1280x1920, 1.17M)

I'm a filfthy phone poster right now becuse the wifi's been down for a bit.
And honestly, the digitals that DC released for the later issues are "fake." They're just high rez scans

Yeah. It’s one of those stories that doesn’t quite work I think in the chronological order. Since it’s a clear book end.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-261.jpg (1280x1920, 1.27M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-262.jpg (1280x1920, 1.44M)

And so many guys wonder why so many women think men are disgusting pig monsters.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-263.jpg (1280x1920, 1.51M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-264.jpg (1280x1920, 1.5M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-265.jpg (1280x1920, 1.29M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-266.jpg (1280x1920, 1.08M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-267.jpg (1280x1920, 1.22M)

They almost certainly will. Gotta figure both are aware the other is running game, so a good opportunistic fuck session is inevitable just for the sake of it.

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-268.jpg (1280x1920, 1.38M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-269.jpg (1280x1920, 1.3M)

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-270.jpg (1280x1920, 1.48M)

I think this is a fabulous image to end on because this story has like another 100 fucking pages to it

SO Saturday, maybe let's read some Hunter Rose, and if someone wants to upload some Wagner Batman, game for that too

thanks for reading, owls, as always

Attached: Grendel Omnibus Volume 2 - Legacy-271.jpg (1280x1920, 1.06M)

Bit random, but anyone else love when a character uses their powers or advanced technology for completely mundane, normal tasks?

They whitewashed Hugo's character a bit too much and didn't make Iron City shitty enough. Crowds were a bit too clean and normal looking. Also left out the big dude's crush on Alita and addiction to brains. Other than that though, it's an excellent adaption that I recommend to any fan of Gunnm.

>What a stupid weapon
Christine. Shut the fuck up with your bullshit doublekatana electrospear.

The art was usually pretty good. Lots of strange "plot panel, plot panel, plot panel" then a "pin up that takes up 60% of the page" happening though

Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

>another 100 pages
How does one even go that long on a story this deliberately weird?

it was the 80s and the man wanted to draw capes

>And I know, that you know, that I know, that she knows that you know that I know.
>y'know?

I agree. Wagner tends to overwrite. Or tended to. I think Grendel is where he revels in excess while Mage is far more restrained. Or maybe this first arc just isn't as good as others - the Hunter, Eppy, Orion, or War Child. Funny how people really disliked the shift from the Pander Bros to Bernie Mireault. Panders really do some gonzo stuff with this first arc. It was fun to see how they used the same style with the story they did for Black, White, and Red. Anyways, yeah, this isn't the best arc. I do love it, though.

>How well do you know Chris
Bibically.

If you can post the silent chapter before moving on, that would be fantastic. If not, no big deal. That issue is what hooked me back in the day when I randomly found the issue in a bargain bin.

Hey OP. Starting late.

I have to say, that as someone who was only ever AWARE of Grendel, I'm actually surprised at the number of vampire/werewolf/mutants involved.

I always though it was just the story of a killer/vigilante/psycho.

>We know she'd like to meet him. She knows she'd like to meet him. But does John know she'd like to meet him?

>he's the most 80s thing I've ever seen

And at this point, Spider Jerusalem(or Archie 3000) times Wolverine.

It’s like the penultimate story so it still kinda works but it’s more of an ominious warning instead of like a retrospective.

I’m in love with how despite being like 2 decades of stories they all come together for this portrait of Hunter

>500-600 pound tv

Jesus, future. What happened to the 90 inch TVs you could pick up one handed because they were basically giant cell phones?

Funny, or disappointingly predictable?

That's really only the first and fourth Grendel

That is some fucking gun right there.

Autumnlands vol.3 when?

>Ferro Lad dying in 3019 and not his proper time of 2960something upset me

Legion is always inexplicably exactly 1000 years in the future, even though that's lazy as hell and wastes the opportunity that being a thousand years in the future allows you in terms of timeline pliability.

Up until Reboot, well probably actually 5YL, they did a decent job of it moving in semi real time. It was the current year + 1000

Thanks for running, OP.

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaaaaaace

Let's not act like Rebirth was a return to form, they just stopped with the gimmicks for a little bit but the writing was still pretty shitty. Hell, DCYou actually had a handful of books I liked.

I'd say this part is the worst victim of that. Its present everywhere but it hurts the most here. I think it mainly has to do do with the less focused narrative

Is there ever going to be a comic continuation to the future story line? I enjoyed the hunter stuff and the shadow crossover but I'm still curious to see where he's going to take prime. Especially after all the upgrades and neat shit he was shown to have in the Batman crossover.

Just wait till you get to the super pope and the part where he becomes a memetic virus

Tbf the memetic thing is there from the start it’s just (mostly) subtle