D23 thread

D23 comes back this year. What beloved Disney attraction will be gutted for a Marvel ride? What'll be the next soulless remake? What will the next barrage of mediocre sequels from WDAS and Pixar be? Will Gigantic emerge from the deepest depths of development hell against all odds? What new, beloved Disney Channel show will be announced and cancelled after 2 seasons? How will Disney pitifully attempt to convince us Star Wars and their gaming division aren't dead and buried? Which B-list hero is due for their big MCU break?
Discuss.

Attached: d23-expo-2019-logo.jpg (780x350, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wdwnt.com/2017/05/disney-surveying-epcot-guests-figment-may-impact-characters-future-park-overhaul/
youtube.com/watch?v=m2v1EjZhEmo
youtube.com/watch?v=5qteMlMAaNM
youtube.com/watch?v=XaQgDMNYDNo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All of it and more.

>Will Gigantic emerge from the deepest depths of development hell against all odds?
pfahahhahahahhahahhaha no

I absolutely agree with you, but there's usually at least one off the wall announcement not a single person expects at D23. That was the only one I could think of that would have the shock factor to fit in.

>tfw going

I may witness the further decline of a once creative empire.

Send pics when you're there

I'm excited to see whatever Frozen 2 related stuff they'll have

That'll probably be the big headliner for the event so I'd assume a shit ton of Frozen 2 info will be dumped. Personally I'm much more interested in what's after. Frozen 2 is the only film on WDAS's lineup for the future right now, that's bound to change soon.

>mfw they tease that they'll totally start using Oswald more like last year.

Attached: Fuck This.png (622x602, 796K)

>Jim Hill's claiming that Pete Docter rejected the "Inside Out replacing Imagination" ride pitch because he hated the idea of his characters kicking Figment out of his home again. Those surveys that were going around about Figment the last couple of years were commissioned by Docter to prove his point that Figment still has a following and a Figment-focused ride update would actually be viable

Attached: FigmentGrowingStronger.jpg (1024x850, 120K)

>Gigantic
Threadly repost.

Attached: 1456330272106.jpg (1735x2142, 1.28M)

This is the time they are announcing more stuff for the Disney streaming app. They also like to celebrate anniversaries, which happens to be the Caballeros 75th. It's getting announced them I'm counting on it
Believe it's real Oswald friend

Attached: 1551156750430.jpg (1650x1275, 141K)

>tfw Oswald is the sole reason why I am going.

Think we'll get actual trailers for any Disney+ shows?

What surveys

Zootopia 2

>What beloved Disney attraction will be gutted for a Marvel ride?
>tfw your most beloved childhood ride, a ride you and your big brother still love to this day, has never once been renovated or "improved" since the orginal opening of the park and will never be touched

God Save and preserve Mr Toad's Wild Ride

They ran them in the summer of 2017 and the fall of 2018

wdwnt.com/2017/05/disney-surveying-epcot-guests-figment-may-impact-characters-future-park-overhaul/

You are literally me and now I love you
>TFW will be interested in almost everything at D23 but can't go cause living in east coast

>also there will never be a live action remake of Ichobod and Mr Toad
Feels good man

Attached: 1526447778257.jpg (348x342, 41K)

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS Theme park thread when? I was going to make a thread with this information

BASED DOCTER!

There have been several live action versions of the wind in the willows

To be fair you can't really call disney's wind and the willows the same as the orginal

Attached: the court of Autism.jpg (1500x835, 439K)

Doctor is the hero we all need

Thank you Pete for saving Figment

Figment's got to carry Dreamfinders memory

Incredibles 3
Video game bs
They're shutting down Marvel Comics to distribute "graphic magazines" to get away from Diamond
They acknowledge Max
X-Men and F4 plans
They buy WB live on stage

It got moved to /trv/ and died

Rip. I love the theme park threads.

youtube.com/watch?v=m2v1EjZhEmo

I'm really interested in this, especially since Pop Century is my main
I want to know if the characters are going to be on all on them, and if it will be the generic Mickey stuff or if we'll get really obscure characters and rides, especially if each is unique

The only thing I really hope they announce at D23 is when when we'll finally be getting that The Little Mermaid live action remake. I'm not even shitting, that's literally the only live action Disney movie remake I'm actually really looking forward to, if only because I seriously love the original and watched it often as a kid.

HE'S COMING HOME LADS

Attached: And_thats_how_Inside_Out_ended_up_in_Wonders_Of_Life.jpg (1280x720, 149K)

That sucks, /trv/ is too slow. Generally you can post them here, just not as a general
I'll make one tomorrow here

What did they tease last year?

I was unaware of many things.

youtube.com/watch?v=5qteMlMAaNM

An animatronic Hondo Ohnaka? Are they going to make him fight animatronic Jack Sparrow?

What I assume they are talking about is how they make special merch and themes for Disney properties celebrating an anniversary. 2017's D23 celebrated Oswald's 90th, where they promised more stuff would use him. There's a rumor about a show but outside cameos in MM 2013 and some merch nothing really has been done with him stateside

This is most mention Oswald got during the whole event, minus exclusive merch.
youtube.com/watch?v=XaQgDMNYDNo

Attached: Thanks Iger.png (598x785, 811K)

So something has been done not stateside?

I know Japan made a short holiday greeting cartoon using him a few years ago.

Looks like Oswald just wants to be included in something at this point.

On the topic of scrapped Didney films, what would your dream concept resurrection be?
Some examples that would be pretty interesting:
>Don Quixote
>My Peoples
>Fantasia 3
>Mort (Imagine Disney making a fucking Discworld film, I'm shocked this was even an idea)
>King of the Elves (A Disney film based on a Phillip K Dick story also sounds intriguing)
>Treasure Planet 2

Attached: 1550846874345.jpg (540x540, 26K)

Attached: Let It Go.jpg (1280x720, 53K)

Will Jacksepticeye host the games panel again?

The single actual game that will be shown off will be Ultimate Alliance 3 and nothing else. No Disney Interactive/Lucasarts revival for you. (;____;)

Attached: 1544577151992.jpg (164x202, 5K)

Maybe we'll get some announcements/concept art for animated films that aren't sequels or live action remakes! Like that space race movie they mentioned a couple years ago? I feel like we'll get at least one movie announcement that will have some type of heavily stylized animation, like Spider-Verse. All Disney does now is play catch up, once it's proven to be economically viable by another company taking a risk.

>I'll make one tomorrow here
Honestly, this could easily be a parks thread, too. As long as we're lowkey.

Poor dude is desperate to fit in and be appreciated, at least his diehards will always love him
No media has been done since then outside MM 2013 cameos, but he's pushed more in Japan and Europe then here. Japan gets more merch and he was in one of their games, while he was heavily promoted in Disneyland Paris and they even made a parade song for him and Ortensia

TFW they'll show off Ultimate Alliance 3 and then say that's it for the gaming portion before mickey appears onscreen with his paintbrush and shows a trailer for Epic Mickey 3, it being as dark as the initial concept art

>Lucasarts is dead
Ever feeling like everything is just dying? Like, all stores are closing, all interesting and fun ideas are gone, games are becoming worse and just...everything is just dying?

Peter Pan's flight is now a Captain Marvel ride

>What'll be the next soulless remake?
The Nightmare Before Christmas, with hyper-realistic uncanny valley CG

>What will the next barrage of mediocre sequels from WDAS and Pixar be?
A Zootopia sequel that loses the plot, an Inside Out sequel with a new character named Puberty, and an Up sequel

>Will Gigantic emerge from the deepest depths of development hell against all odds?
They will find a way to kill it even more than they already have

>What new, beloved Disney Channel show will be announced and cancelled after 2 seasons?
Teenage Robalian President, a show about a teenage alien robot who becomes president of the United States and all the wacky shenanigans he gets into; also they'll reveal that all their sitcoms are actually filmed in front of a live studio audience that's constantly high

>How will Disney pitifully attempt to convince us Star Wars and their gaming division aren't dead and buried?
They'll have a Star Wars IX clip showing R2-D2 and C-3PO dying in an incinerator, after which Rey and Finn literally turn to the audience and say how great it is that they still have BB-8

>Which B-list hero is due for their big MCU break?
They will announce movies for Century, Illuminator, America Chavez, and Sally Floyd; also Kamala Khan will be in Captain Marvel 2 and they'll have no plans to ever do anything with Monica Rambeau. Somebody in the audience will ask about Genis-Vell, to which they'll respond with "Who?"

who's gonna host it now?

lasseter is gone

I'm probably just being uselessly optimistic but I genuinely think it's just a consequence of changing times. Things may seem like absolute shit now (And honestly they probably will stay shit) but I feel like after we get more accustomed to this digital age, more entertainment with soul will find its way into the mainstream again. Once again, my hope is probably in vain, but seeing the cool shit people make online I feel like those people will get their big break eventually.

Attached: 1550780680175.jpg (799x896, 107K)

There is no D23. The Anaheim Convention Center will instead be hit from an orbital assault strike as a titanic projection of Michael Eisner beams into the sky for eternity as the world only hears an echo of "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS LISTEN".

It can be yes. Park discussion isn't banned though, we had park threads that didn't get deleted since the /trv/ one got moved there. Just can't be a eternal general named as such I don't think, mods are too scared from generals of the past
Either way, discuss park hopes for D23

... they literally show you one that DOESN'T have anything on it. it looks like it'll vary.

Does this mean Oswald is confirmed?!?!1

I'll always believe in this Lucky Rabbit

Attached: _____oswald_the_lucky_rabbit______by_inkedbat-db3n0e1.jpg (713x800, 30K)

>Eisner
I'm going through Defunctland because someone mentioned them in an earlier thread. I'm really into the lore of Eisner as slowly going mad with power and fucking up his empire, I mean, company.

>discuss park hopes for D23
I just want a more concrete date for Galaxy's Edge at WDW.

Duh. Don't you know what Oswald stands for?
>Orbital
>Strike
>Waiting
>At
>Lord's
>Decision

confirmed

Attached: CSCMkM8.gif (500x272, 1.55M)

>They will find a way to kill it even more than they already have
That's pretty hard when that's already happened. Its director has already jumped ship over to Skydance with Lasseter.

I have a feeling that the Tower of Terror at Florida is gonna bite the bullet like its Californian brother

Nope, Universe of Energy took the bullet for WDW Tower.

Not for GOTG if it would happen but I will be pissed beyond belief. It's the best ride in the world

I remember when Disney was still making Disney Channel original movies and they made one about that ride.

they already said they had no plans for TOT.

Didn't know Karl Marx was in the original WitW

I want to hear more about the 2020 animated movie. Maybe they'll have some cameos to gigantic or references. Heck, maybe use the model intended for jack and inma.

>The sixth D23 Expo will be held on August 23–25, 2019 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California

Well that's kind of far off, isn't it?

>mfw going next month with my niece
>mfw she's finally tall enough to get on the roller coasters that aren't gadget's go coaster.

what's the better starter Yea Forums: space mountain or big thunder?

Thunder Mountain, Space mountain is fun but you want to be able to see what your riding for your first time

Nu-Wars is by and large shit but Galaxy's Edge is gonna be fucking insane

Nah, This will be the most probable outcome
>Ultimate Alliance 3
>New KH3 content
>That SW game by the Titanfall guys
>"Battlefront 2 is still alive and well guys"
>Tsum Tsum Festival (i like the Mobile game but who the hell throught this was a good idea?)
>Phones

Based Boi

Just make prequel with collars.
Fans will love it

Attached: zootopia-deletedscene-tamingparty.jpg (1257x588, 60K)

Frozen 2 and Zootopia 2.

Attached: 11390367_890219111034957_2080875708084423662_n.jpg (640x348, 36K)

I can't wait for Spaceship Earth to go down for refurb for 2 years only to reopen totally gutted as the new permanent location of Club Cool!!

I'm liking these ideas.

Attached: 11896352_1167964169887216_813935440316440702_o.jpg (2048x910, 77K)

That new effect where they spray Beverly on you during the ride

Even more interesting, Pratchett was apparently really excited at the ideas Disney presented to him regarding the movie.

>tfw we'll never get a cute chubby Disney Princess with a black and purple color scheme.

Attached: mort_3.jpg (376x675, 59K)

DON'T YOU DARE CLOSE YOUR EYES

Since Club Cool is going away, I demand a Club Cool pavilion at Food and Wine, with food and drinks based around the old sodas. I’ll try a Beverly cocktail.

>Club Cool
>going away

WHAT WHEN

Wasn't officially announced but soon because their are construction plans to demolish the entire building it's in

Sometime this year. They’ve filed the permits to demolish Innoventions, most likely West will be first. Starbucks is being moved to the old Odyssey Center, Character Spot is going to the Imagination Pavilion, but as far as I know, Club Cool won’t have a new location.

Dates for Galaxy's Edge just announced

>May 31 at Disneyland
>August 29 at Hollywood Studios
>Rise of the Resistance opens sometime later, so it's just the Falcon ride and all the shopping and dining at launch.

Makes sense for a memorial day opening

Do I want to be a fool and go opening weekend or just keep my November trip? I really was considering August originally, but pushed it to November, because I didn’t think they would be open then.

Attached: 26AD70F8-F1AF-4A50-8500-B8D7CF0AC768.jpg (620x538, 95K)

You really want to fight the insane opening crowd? Plus, for all we know, they might be saving Rise of the Resistance for the fall anyways.

I suppose that would depend on:
-how good you are at handling obscene crowds/lines
-if you're willing to spend a good chunk of your day waiting on one ride
-if you're going with anyone else, and they're also okay with the above.

I've had some of my best experiences going on opening days for rides, but this is going to be on a whole different level. If you want to be brave/foolish enough to tackle the opening, then it makes for a unique experience; just be ready to live out that slinky coaster pic (which, from my experience, is not quite hyperbole).

...I want to buy one of the shirts that say I was there opening day. Let’s be real. It’ll be a ten hour wait either way.

I was going to do November because of the Food and Wine run, but maybe I’ll do September/October because I like Halloween more anyway. And then i’ll do one of the 2020 winter runs.

Disney+ is right around the corner, so you can bet they'll have something to show on it.

According to the Shareholder's meeting, they're gonna do a big reveal of Disney+ content on April 11th.

source?

>All these pins to celebrate random anniversaries
>TFW no T3C 75th
Why do they hate us so much bros

Attached: DvcArDHUcAAFIZA.jpg (1200x1200, 171K)

Crystal Dynamic's Avengers game is probably going to get shown off at E3 and D23, so at least there's that?

FIGMENT WILL NEVER DIE

Attached: Figment_(Disney).jpg (220x321, 13K)

Why not? Disney's imagination sure has.

We need more figment memes pronto

Outsider looking in here.

How are you supposed to expand the limited space parks with new innovative attractions without Disney diehard boomers hooping and hollering at literally every single attraction that is threatened with removal or renovation?

>MUH KLASSICKS WHAT ARE YOU DOING MOUSE YOU CANT TOUCH EM!!

You don’t. People will be mad either way. People will also spend money there either way. It’s about balance.
That said, don’t fucking touch any of my favorites, Disney. Feel free to get rid of the rides I don’t care about though.

Attached: F4CA7D55-3F4A-4A47-BE46-10A722B52C1D.jpg (693x1024, 116K)

Disney has literally only used 1/3 of the property at Disney World. 1/3 of it is set aside as nature preserve, so they could literally double the size of the current parks but aren't.

They could have made an entire 5th park for Star Wars but instead they're tacking it onto Hollywood Studios. It's a hotel, two rides, and some food.

I get doing that at Disney Land, I get people getting upset at Disney Land's limited space getting attractions replaced, but Disney World has a shit ton of space and replacing attractions isn't necessary.

It honestly isn’t that practical to do a fifth park, at this time. Ignoring APs who go multiple times a year, and foreign guests who are more likely to spend two weeks to two months on vacation, your average US guest spends about five to seven days in Orlando. There are plenty that do park hopper, but most will do one park a day. So that’s already four parks, plus probably a day at Springs or a water park. Some who are here for a full week, will probably substitute one or two of those days for Universal. Which is fine because you already spent your time and money at Disney, as well.
There’s already too much to do within one vacation at WDW. Most guests are there for both their first and only trip. Squeezing in another park would lead to more spread out attendance, sure, but stockholders would see that as a negative, since that’s lower overall attendance for the other four parks. That isn’t even going into development of a cohesive long term theme.

This

The only way I vould see Disney doing another park is if Universal's third park really takes off, since they're aiming to be a destination unto themselves as opposed to Disney's sloppy seconds

Then, MAYBE Disney will add another park to entice people to stay on property as opposed to going out

Disney have a capacity problem at the moment. The year round crowds are starting to hurt their reputation and put people off. Visitor numbers could fall dramatically at any point which isn't good considering how tight the margins are.

A new park would ease off the crowds.

Disney is having a big problem with overcrowding right now, so a fifth park would be smart. Did you see that one of the Avatar attractions hit a six hour line a while ago? It's two years old, and it got up to a six hour wait. That's insane. They need to spread people out more because lines like that are going to make the new Star Wars stuff impossible to get onto, and are going to lead to complaints.

High capacity rides that last a long time.

It's rumoured the Star Wars attraction does just that.

There's also the issue of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios being half-day parks. Even after Star Wars opens, you can still count the number of rides in DHS with only two hands.

I expect title cards and logos, probably not trailers

As I said, shareholders would see spreading attendance over a fifth Park as a negative. It’s more cost effective to boost capacity in small amounts, via expanding the current parks’ lands, and adding new resorts, rather than go to the expense of adding a fifth park. Attendance isn’t at the level to justify the expense of a new park.
Do you think they aren’t well aware of complaints of high waits? They’ve accounted for that years ago. They already mentioned several times in just their press release, alone, that admission to the park does not guarantee admission to the land, and that admission to the land does not guarantee being able to ride. Wordage that is already all over current tickets. Complaints are to be expected, and won’t hurt attendance, barring huge huge fuckups, like the show building burns down opening weekend or something

Neither Animal Kingdom nor Studios are half day parks. There’s a full day worth of shows in both parks, as well, and the fact that people only count rides is ridiculous. The entire point of a theme park, as opposed to an amusement park, is that the experience goes beyond just rides. It does both parks a disservice

Hollywood Studios won't be a half day park after Star Wars and Mickey's Railroad open.

Animal Kingdom needs 1 more E-ticket.

Eisner's only good ideas were tv related since that was his main area of experience in the first place. When it came to theme parks and attractions he just sort of winged it badly.

what does the 23 mean?

Legal disclaimers mean fuck all . People won't sue, they just won't come back.

Someone going to Disney and getting on 10 rides in a day is more likely to come back than someone who got on 3 rides, had to fight for a place to get something to eat and despite waiting an hour before the fireworks, were hundreds of metres away and couldn't see because the person in front lifted their kid on their shoulders.

Once you've built the reputation for being unbelievably busy, it'll stick for decades and the parks are getting critically busy.

1923 the year the company was founded

You know what long waits do hurt? Merchandise sales. People waiting in line aren't buying anything. People waiting in a six hour line aren't buying anything for six hours. They spend nothing, and then complain. They complain online, and they make plans for their next vacation to be somewhere else.

In the long run, this is going to be bad for them. They need to see this or they're going to lose customers and the shareholders are going to be REALLY unhappy.

A fifth park spreading out attendance will mildly increase operating costs but will greatly increase profit opportunity by raising attendance capability.

Hell, they've even had times where they've hit maximum attendance. Do you know how bad that is? Having to turn away ticket holders at the gate is a HUGE loss in money and good will.

Eurodisney was he big vanity project and was a great park that would have been stunning

They just built it in the wrong country.

I think the worst thing about Eisner was that he exposed the business side of things to normal people. Everyone knows that Disney are a giant company and not some kind magical entity but Eisner made it clear. The straight to video sequels, the underfunded parks the cynical rebrands of rides, the massive hike in the general cost of a Disney Holiday.

Admittedly a few of these things are also true of post 2nd renaissance Disney now.

You only have to look at Harry Potter land to see how much awestruck, happy customers will spend.

$300 robes, $100 wands and they sell thousands of them.

>No DTV ethier
Why dosen't Didny't just not care about TV Animation anymore?

post revival era, user, we're in Post Revival Era now

Either way , unless Disney have big news, we're in A bit of a turgid time in terms of creativity

So Walt founded his own company and was just a subsidy of Universal until he broke ties with them in 1929?
Or was Universal just contracting Walt's company prior to the Oswald falling out?

Sort of, they contracted/distributed Walt's shorts from his company founded in 23 until the fallout. That company is still the one ongoing today, he didn't make a new company once he left in 28

>celebrating the muppets

honestly i bet they'll either trash the muppets area and keep them only in merchandising or they'll stick them into some sort of tiny area of the park. Maybe even go full muppet babies.

Yeah, Universal was Disney's distributor. After losing Oswald, Disney had distribution deals with Columbia and RKO and only started doing their own distribution in the 1950s.

Jim didn't die for this.

Given that Muppet*Vision 3D is one of the last things that Henson did before his death, and in fact opened on the 1st anniversary of his death, I think the backlash from closing it would be massive.

Attached: Mickeykermit.jpg (347x286, 14K)

The mouse might comfort you but he's that greedy supposed friend who'll backstab you to advance, especially if something bigger comes along

Disney is big on advertising that they have the muppets and Jim Henson stuff as a part of their umbrella, but do absolutely nothing with it.

>Star wars opening may 31.

WHO /hype/ HERE!?

They're only opening the Millenium Falcon Ride, the main ride is later in the year.

Hope you like 5 hour queues.

Assuming you get past reservations as well

Who's ready for the Song of the South sprawling 5 part epic miniseries for Disney+?

Reservations are mandatory for Disneyland, so lines won't get too out of hand. I mean, it'll still probably hit 2-2.5 hours at launch since it'll be the only ride, but it'll probably drop to 1-1.5 hours when Rise of the Resistance opens. Florida's is supposedly not requiring reservations though, at least not yet, so they're the ones that'll be fucked hard with the 5 hour lines.

Disney employee here, we will also be opening the "Out of this Galaxy" concession stand which will be selling bottled water $40 as well as several gift shops that will sell opening day hoodies for $110 and our Cantina restaurant which will sell a wide variety of special Star Wars themed foods including burgers, chicken sandwiches, and pizza.

>a wide variety of special Star Wars themed foods including burgers, chicken sandwiches, and pizza
Kek