What culture does no one touch in animation or comics? My vote goes towards the Slavs

What culture does no one touch in animation or comics? My vote goes towards the Slavs

Attached: B72DD93E-D61C-4822-B755-62BB9F67633A.jpg (567x852, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/xkdfgy
youtube.com/watch?v=qrYN78_RTQU
youtube.com/watch?v=efeWT1Eu2Rc
youtube.com/watch?v=fgxHIWBt5yg
youtube.com/watch?v=1aaSGWIGM1Y
tapas.io/episode/1099187
youtube.com/watch?v=g1vB3G0KxbE
youtu.be/vmDDOFXSgAs
youtube.com/watch?v=wuN8QJDJoz8
youtu.be/PgUFoliV_70
archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/15933021/
youtube.com/watch?v=MDriC9FAitY
youtube.com/watch?v=ikHBtzay1lY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tales_of_Alvin_Maker
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty much anything that isn't Western European and Japanese mythology is pretty much completely neglected.
Shieeet, I've love to see a series dealing with American folklore, real old tribal legends mixed with fear of a new unexplored world stuff.

Hungarian

Attached: 51461760_435031490369749_43637662296309760_o.jpg (2048x1152, 417K)

Armenian

>My vote goes towards the Slavs
Soviet Union made hundreds of animated shorts and around half of them were about russian folk tales:
dailymotion.com/video/xkdfgy (turn on subtitles)
youtube.com/watch?v=qrYN78_RTQU

They're STILL going at it, webm related is from a trailer to long running series of feature film

and of course there is stuff like Masha and a Bear and many other stuff

Attached: 3бог.dur.webm (640x346, 2.31M)

youtube.com/watch?v=efeWT1Eu2Rc
youtube.com/watch?v=fgxHIWBt5yg
youtube.com/watch?v=1aaSGWIGM1Y

>What culture
Most of them.

Baba Yaga was a recurring character in Hellboy.

There were Slavic gods in American Gods, it's a comic now.

Also there's very little of old Slavic folklore left. Most of what we had was destroyed by the Church. People here knows much more about Greek or even Egyptian gods than Slavic. I'm pretty sure most people can't name more than 1 or 2 Slavic gods.

>no west African anthology with anansi the spider as the host
Why am I alive?

Marcel Jankovichs would like a word with you. Seriously his stuff is all full length and easily accessible

Slavs (by that I mean Russians) are too fucking smug, believing themselves to be the TRUE aryans (despite many other tribes also tracing their lineage from there).

Isn't there a Slavic legend about beautiful women that can be seen dancing in the fields at sunset?

The first 3 movies were a decent watch. Now the serie is just yet another cashgrab capeshit

? Maybe. Most legends were not even written down (code word is ORAL history).

>what is ethnography and social anthropology

Nothing good has ever come from Slavs.

Ancient Persians

I know of the one where they personified heat stroke and it's basically a pretty lady telling field workers to go the fuck home before she kills them.

>social anthropology has time machines

This

How about native american legends of giants?

play some witcher games, lots of monsters like that

>personified heat stroke

back in the day peasants blamed "monsters" for all the bad stuff happening to them:

walk in the swamp, feel a spasm on your leg? it must be a drowner! got a night ejaculation? must be succubus! milk became sour during day? must be leprechaun peeing into my jug!

Attached: poludnica.jpg (660x455, 41K)

Nikola Tesla

vodka

>My vote goes towards the Slavs
And you would be wrong since Slavs do shit about themselves, like those Russian cartoons that have regular threads here or things like this:
tapas.io/episode/1099187
or that:
youtube.com/watch?v=g1vB3G0KxbE

>Most of what we had was destroyed by the Church
But that's wrong, there never were any records in the first place because Slavs weren't into shit like writing or chronicling. Yes, church destroyed places of worship and it was a custom to build churches on the same ground (Sapkowski in his book about fantasy was even laughing at how they were blessing certain places so these dumb pagans thought they were worshiping their pagan gods, but in reality were already contaminated with Christianity), but we never had things like Epic of Gilgamesh or Edda to base the culture on something.

Oh and BTW: The Witcher is NOT Slavic, the author of the original books wrote a famous essay about writers of Slavic, nationalist fantasy, he based his stuff on tons of western folklore like brothers Grimm and stuff and only used a little bunch of Slav stuff. Then CDP Red added some more aesthetics in the games, sure, but if you trace and compare, it's still much more, for example, german than Slav.

African mythos. Like ACTUAL African based mythos.

I would like to see a Far Cry 2/Blood Diamond/Heart of Darkness kind of brutality with Tree Vampires and dinosaurs in the mix. None of that Wakanda shit, give me African rebels and European mercenaries fighting each other while also fighting off demons.

Attached: 1536203251956.jpg (431x576, 49K)

Didn't live in a slavic country, did he? Gee, I wonder why........

>no west African anthology with anansi the spider as the host
This, Gaiman's American Gods made me so curious about that stuff and then nobody else touche the subject after him.

Also, Polynesian mythology. I grew up with Hawaiian legends, was excited for Moana introducing my hero Maui into mainstream, aaand then nothing happened except a few memes. Disappointing.

This

>for example, german than Slav.
I bet for Christians all europeans pagans are the same especially since they are all similar.

You shouldn't undereestimate how strong belief in supernatural in rural areas. It is very fancy to hear such stories like "my aunt were a fearsome witch in local kolkhoz during soviet period"

There had been a lot of Filipino-centric local fantasy shows. Would be cool to see them animated in the west. They have the coolest monsters

I haven't seen a lot, if any, Mongolian culture stuff in animation and comics aside from the very basic "lol funny hats and yurts".

Attached: khutulunfeat.jpg (700x467, 96K)

this or the souls lost in the desert winds

Stalker and Metro.

I was always under the impression that Mongolians were disgusting sub humans really shouldn't judge by hearsay but I digress, butta, gotta say I'm catching a serious case of yellow fever from that p.y.t.

Attached: 8a9.png (500x375, 188K)

The oral histories of Slavic mythology have definitely been corrupted by Christianity, though. Chernobog as a "god of evil", comes from a single Christian monk's accounts and might even have been completely fabricated.

China also gets some notice, because they're the big new market.

>TFW Scottish
>TFW ‘brave’ is the closest to Scottish mythology Yea Forums material
You’ll never see Nuckelavee or a kelpie, mist men, fairies or even just the shit loads of ghost types we have. I’d fucking kill for an anthology where Sawney Bean is the host

Attached: 1BF70EAC-C0C7-4BC4-B29A-D7AF5018AC9D.jpg (649x700, 220K)

Hittites
Tocharians
Aboriginal Australians
Taino
Guanches
Pueblo People
Proto-Indo-Europeans
Proto-Uralic
Proto-Polynesians
Malagasy
Cree
Pacific Northwest
Scythians

>Pueblo People
Thi reminds me that I once read a Donald Duck comic where he put on some mask and became possessed by some trickster god (I don't even remember if they outright called him Kokopelli or just a spoof of the name) and time travelled to save the village. shit was tight, it really disappointed me there was nothing else similar, I love tricksters.
Also, thanks, user, for the list, I haven't even heard about some of these cultures.

Attached: mick.png (1366x768, 1.02M)

Finnic

Attached: aino.jpg (1300x735, 817K)

Too nazi

The nuck leave was fine n rwby

Minoans

Attached: 3edf38b1f4204b9642a0aee15851ca41.jpg (394x558, 58K)

No it wasn’t. The nuckelavee is a creature of the sea, I didn’t see any dippage on that motherfucker

Actually Hungary has a HUUUUUUUGE animation presence. Their government gives animation grants so they come out with some really creative stuff that would never be geenlighted in the US. Which is nice if you're tired of the "hey buy these toys" sheen in American animated movies.

Eh, the creators of Atlantis said they modeled a lot of the look and colors off the Minoan civilization with a future spin.

Really? Then why isn't it a matriarchy and the only colour is blue?

Well the design at least

Why does every monster in Scottish folklore is from the sea or water?

We are very scared of the oceans and rivers. They’re cold, dark, filled with coal, easy to drown in, surrounded by tall reefs and grass and it was the old belief that bodies of water acted as portals to the fairy world

Islam, because no matter how you portray it, they'll chop your head off anyway.

Attached: 1537752495877.png (1520x2758, 1.23M)

Bce хoхлы - тyпыe пидopacы.

>slav
>culture

Attached: 1410755510851.jpg (337x276, 19K)

Venezuelan culture is seldom touched. They briefly entioned it in UP, but otherwise, nothing. We have some good stories.

Yes they do

Attached: A6F8CAB0-568C-428D-B081-272E7C66C6C9.jpg (560x336, 70K)

I rarely ever see modern Italy.

Attached: Gods Of Latvian Mythology 1.png (423x374, 430K)

Chicongo ghetto culture.

Static Shock had an Anansi character

Where can I watch these tho? Preferably stuff with subs or without dialogues, but I'm curious for anything.

One of my teachers at uni spent like 12 years in africa recording oral stories, tales, legends a'd shit. People do that.

The problem with Slav shit is not people's unwillingness to search and record, it's literally the lack of material in the first place. When people started valuing anthropology and records, it was already too late and we got rid of the majority of it.
There have ben pagan, nationalist movements to "reclaim" or "teach the truth hid by Jewish Church" and stuff, but they are very much based on fantasies and not actual records/traditions/leftovers. There are no people remembering or passing down stuff anymore for hundreds of years, even though the people here still live.
It's kind of ironic when I think for example on Ainu people, persecuted for a long time and dying out, but there were people interested in recording their culture and even songs fast enough so that it can be kept. As long as it won't burn down like that Bralizian museum with all of their history.

>jazzgard
youtu.be/vmDDOFXSgAs

Byzantine culture
I love the weird medieval Greek roman state, yet it always get overshadowed by antiquity Rome, or the crusades.

The aesthetic is also pretty kino

Attached: 8a95ea9f5e2f1bb04b82edc11e5fcad9.jpg (1024x1101, 297K)

Their look kinda survived in Russia

Attached: F7A0015F-FBA1-48CF-94D9-03A316985202.jpg (800x584, 119K)

Japan mostly focuses on the samurai stuff not the mythology

Attached: F1C81272-440F-410F-88BC-507831E26255.jpg (1331x548, 161K)

Conspiracy theory: that museum did not burn accidentally.

south east asia

Bump

He's Hungarian though.

The Tragedy of Man ( Az Ember Trajadiya) is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and it's subbed on youtube, with legal raws on Vimeo youtube.com/watch?v=wuN8QJDJoz8

An odd way to spell "should".

Ducktales did kelpies, though.

>Proto-Indo-Europeans
Yeah, how come you don't have anyone tap into the rich history of a theoretical culture with no written accounts of their existence or writing of any kind who are more of an anthropological projection than a people we know anything of?

The reconstructed mythology is pretty dope.

Plus we know of the Yamna, which defenitely existed.

How much of that is fiction around disparate fragments, though?

I have yet to see Afro-Caribbean folklore in anything Yea Forums-related.

/burn

we wuz spider-man

Attached: kwaku-anansi-8.jpg (1069x509, 268K)

If it's not ancient Egyptian, Roman, Nordic or related to shit like Journey to the West or Samurai shit it's usually overlooked. Change my mind.

Like what? The Maroon?

Pre Islamic Persia

The land of the aryans?

Don't you heard about Cyberslav?
youtu.be/PgUFoliV_70

Nigga you wut? Tolkien wrote Lord of The Rings because he couldn't stop viciously jerking it to the Finns

Does it, really? The most attention to Chinese mythology I've seen is that unofficial expansion for Age of Mythology.

Slavs are underrated. Slavic mythology and animation inspired both Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki (and Miyazaki preferred to watch Russian Snow Queen subbed, suck it dub fags)

Attached: 710MOhRLMHL._SX425_.jpg (425x283, 24K)

American folklore

Attached: ED393434-C901-4667-8604-E2EB20EB3F57.jpg (650x491, 67K)

Aladdin doesn't count?

vampires

Seen slavic shit in anime going back to the 70s.

It's not alcoholic and it cleans you. Thus the Scot fears it.

>Oh and BTW: The Witcher is NOT Slavic, the author of the original books wrote a famous essay about writers of Slavic, nationalist fantasy, he based his stuff on tons of western folklore like brothers Grimm and stuff and only used a little bunch of Slav stuff. Then CDP Red added some more aesthetics in the games, sure, but if you trace and compare, it's still much more, for example, german than Slav.

You could at least give Moorcock his due too.

Another problem is that you've had centuries of people actively trying to purge it.

First you've got the initial wave of Christianisation, then you've got the Russian Empire, who kept trying to make every slav act the same way, speak the same way, think the same way across the Empire and God help you if you were not a slav, because then you were going to get the shit beaten out of you until you were shitting like a Muscovite.

And then the cherry on the shit cake, the Communists came in. Every single superstition, every single element of national identity, every single hint of religion was now enough to mark you for death for decades, and then for shit life prospects and persecution in general after that. The fact that there's any trace of folklore and tradition left within the boundaries of the Russian Empire and the USSR/Warsaw Pact is a fucking miracle.

That's not even remotely true. Any Slav who doesn't know they've got blood from more corners of the Earth than any other race isn't a Slav, but an anti-Semite and an enemy of the people.

Fun fact, the Eastern Romans had a belief that you couldn't be Emperor if you missing a part of your body due to the fact that you had to be whole and such. So when someone got deposed, they frequently were mutilated and blinded before being shoved into a monastary. They also, to avoid death by infection, had a special tool to blind people; two hot copper plates that were heated up constantly and held near to, but not touching, the eyes. It would dehydrate them and kill them that way.

>Slav
>Not anti-semite

Wha?

dont forget mongols

But culture isn't limited by (ancient) folklore.

I would love to see cartoon about Casket With Wheels.

you fuckers, at least share the ones you know.

This one is comic based around Hans Staden, some german dude that got lost in cannibal tribes in Brazil back in 1500, pretty cool stuff. I wish there were more cannibal/native shit.

Attached: Hans Staden - Um Aventureiro no Novo Mundo 64.jpg (728x945, 184K)

This one is about the founding of Chile

Attached: RELATOS DO NOVO MUNDO A Epopéia do Chile Chusastur00023.jpg (1500x2055, 1.1M)

Boy but it is a chore. A good one but everything is pretty intense and shifts and styles are both fluid and abrupt at the same time. Plus it’s like 2hrs long. Wonderfully truly animated epic, but man it’s not “turn your brain off” watch

some maya shit here

Attached: RELATOS DO NOVO MUNDO A Lenda de Ahau 40.jpg (1800x2454, 1.3M)

a white european living as shaman in the americas

Attached: RELATOS DO NOVO MUNDO O Feiticeiro Branco 55.jpg (1800x2454, 957K)

If yall want Anansi check out his section of pic related anthology novel.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-23-03-34-30.png (1080x1920, 1.46M)

Son of the White Mare (Feherlofia) can be found on YouTube. It’s actually about an Hungarian folktale

Incas kids escaping tributes

Attached: RELATOS DO NOVO MUNDO Os Filhos do Sol Pag 53.jpg (1430x1843, 603K)

This is the almost the exact ending of Apocalypto

They need to adapt some of these into comics.

Attached: Lovegrove-PantheonSeries1-5%26GP_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg (496x512, 104K)

Greco-buddhist Greater Khorasan.

Attached: cvr9781781081815_9781781081815_hr.jpg (530x734, 137K)

you know what I wish we got? comics about caveman, neanderthal and those kinds of shit. It is so rare and no scans avaliable...

Fucking hell.

Attached: Tina 01 (SNJ) - 32.jpg (1351x2043, 692K)

Attached: 51lBaffSOXL.jpg (325x500, 49K)

>mfw never watched this movie

I love this guy art, it is really fucking good.

Attached: RELATOS DO NOVO MUNDO Os Filhos do Sol Pag 21.jpg (1415x1836, 625K)

>the only western I ever read was about a chinaman doing shit on american and it was made by euros

strange combination but very good.

Attached: Chinaman 04 - The Rust Eaters 036.jpg (1920x2645, 1.23M)

If you just wanna see modern comic art & imagery of the gods. Check out the many variants for Avatar Press's God is Dead. They covered just about every obscure mythos you could think of on their covers.
There was discussion & attempts to identify some of the more obscure covers here - archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/15933021/

Sadly the comic itself is just brainless gore, guilty pleasure stuff that mainly focused on Greek/Norse/Egyptians.

Attached: MAY141082.jpg (640x989, 192K)

Attached: God-Is-Dead-Comic-Wallpapers-9.jpg (2500x1944, 321K)

Attached: 1427226229310.jpg (400x1793, 488K)

Zoroastrianism.

Attached: Ahriman.jpg (600x722, 66K)

>lavic mythology and animation inspired both Walt Disney
Bald mountain has jack shit to do with Slavs.
The only reason the dude is named Cernobog instead of Satan was to get it past censors.

>American folklore
what about all the Mountain Monsters?
youtube.com/watch?v=MDriC9FAitY
youtube.com/watch?v=ikHBtzay1lY

Well....I mean, compare the depth of Greek mythology to slav lol it's shit by comparison. Japs not gonna be infatuated with barely existent cultures.

For both culture and hygiene, when you lack of it you stink.

Minoans/Myceneans are literally today's Greeks, so same difference. By portraying anything of Ancient Greeks you're in part stilll protraying Minoans/Myceneneans not only are todays Greeks directly descended from them, but they were also the ones who paved the way for their gods/culture. So, same thing.

>A couple of big titted, hot native girls founded Chile

Wait wut?

Also the freckled one is hot

Both are great, but hardly representative of contemporary Hungarian animation. Both date back to the Soviet era, both had an extremely tough production background, they barely got finished and barely attracted any viewers. Son of the White Mare was an outright bomb and the studio regretted making it. They're rare outliers more than anything.
Has the country produced anything noteworthy in recent years, other than Ruben Brandt and maybe The Adventures of Candide?

>Polynesian mythology.
It had its chance to be associated with a big modern media franchise. But Lego was too careless with what they borrowed from the myths, so the Maori threw a shit fit that forced Lego to drop these elements.

Attached: 387px-Comic1.png (387x599, 493K)

Yes, because modern Greek culture is the exact same as the matriarchal bull leapers.

just from the top of my head:
Stanislaw Lem
Andrzej Sapkowski
Joseph Conrad
Marie Sklodowska Curie
Mikolaj Kopernik
the first man in space was Russian

you should think before you post
kill yourself

>God help you if you were not a slav, because then you were going to get the shit beaten out of you until you were shitting like a Muscovite
Where do you people get these weird ideas about Russia? It aways was a multi-ethnic state that incorporeted elites of the conquered lands into it's nobility and didn't give a shit about people's ethnicity.
And commies actively supported "minority" identities in every possible way.

Heh. I remember there was a collected book of short horror stories by Uspenskiy. Those would have (earlier) make an excellent cartoon.

Besides monsters

Bump

I still don't see why that was some big controversy. From what I've heard it was just an attention-grab by the Maori, but I could be wrong.

They didn't like that a company took words from their language and used them to sell plastic toys and video games. Supposedly the one they took the most issue with was "Tohunga", which is a term preserved for exceptionally skillful and prestigious people, and Lego redefined as a catch-all word for everyday folk.
But the controversy wasn't that big. Some Maori trolls shitposted on a few fan sites and threatened Lego with a lawsuit, which the company settled out of court. Perhaps the biggest impact it had was that Lego completely reconfigured the Bionicle franchise, minimized the tribal and mystical elements, and began taking great efforts (and spending great amounts of money) not to "steal" sensitive words in the future.

I am Russian.

prove it. write something in Russian. also being russian would not make you automatically correct

While India is starting to produce some EXTREMELY amateurish takes on their own mythology and folklore, I have yet to see a competent take on anything from there. I'd fucking kill to see a story set in mythological India that wasn't produced in a computer program from 1995.

Attached: Hindu temple.jpg (1920x1080, 444K)

>tfw no proper Aztec/Mayan dark fantasy horror comic

Attached: 1544270289788.png (309x323, 187K)

There's this pretty good Saudi? cartoon we've had a few threads for relatively recently.

The guy was an investigator in supernaturals, lives in a small cornershop with his wife. Tons of magical instruments, including a door that allows you to travel wherever you imagine,...

There's also Breadwinner for an adaptation of a life story from early 2000s Afghanistan.

No Andean stuff either.

Slavs don’t have culture, user.

"Islam" isn't really a culture, unless you mean "Arabs" which is itself pretty nebulous and myopic because Arabs aren't a single homogeneous group plus most sunni muslims aren't Arabic nor do they live in the middle east. That's churlish of you to insinuate that the wahhabists in Saudi Arabia or the Twelvers in Iran speak for every muslim on the planet, which is definitely not the case somewhere like Indonesia (the biggest sunni country in the world with a larger population than the entirety of the middle east put together) where fanatical reactionary sects like wahhabism are roundly feared and despised by most people save for reactionary religious conservatives who idolize the Sauds. If you ever visited Jakarta, you'd be treated be rightly treated with derision for spewing that sort of nonsense.

Putting that aside, I'd like to nominate the various Indonesian cultures (IE, Javan and Balinese among others) as underrated backgrounds for animation. This country has a fascinating history and cultural tradition that is basically completely unknown to the outside world. I can't think of any Yea Forums works that have taken advantage of it, which is unfortunate. It's been very rewarding to learn about its social development from being a Dutch colony into the Japanese occupation in WW2, the Suharto regime, and the economic growth in contemporary times. The cosmology people here have developed over the centuries from mixing Sufi traditions with Dharmic ideas and pre-Islamic folk beliefs is quite interesting and distinct. I'd love to see an animated short based off Kejawèn folklore and done in the style of Wayang puppetry. You could commission a gamelan ensemble to do the music so it'd add more southeast asian flavor to the mix.

t. presently working for the Peace Corps in Java

Attached: dancing-shadows.jpg (1200x630, 257K)

>Shieeet, I've love to see a series dealing with American folklore, real old tribal legends mixed with fear of a new unexplored world stuff.
This would be fucking sweet.

I'd kill for this too.

The question wasn’t “contemporary”. It was “is there animation from/about this region”.

And a “bomb” to a grant funded film not based in Hollywood probably wasn’t that regrettable. Also Tragedy of Man was literally 2011

Mayan mythology is pretty fun. And when I say fun I mean it’s the border of Lovecraft and a heavy metal album cover.

Far cry had something similar to that where you follow a Shang ri la story

Metro is surprisingly good for an apocalypse novel and game. Real depressing like most Russian stuff though

It was regrettable for the director because Son of the White Mare is not the film he wanted to make. He disliked it for a long time because he couldn't realize his original vision. He also began pre-production on Tragedy right after White Mare came out, but the studio was so disappointed with its box office returns that he got put on the sidelines. That's one reason Tragedy took almost 30 years to finish. Sure it came out in 2011, but it was originally slated for a late 80s or early 90s release.
Regardless of where the funds came from, the films were still expected to do well, and White Mare missed the mark by a wide margin, so the studio forced way stricter guidelines on its directors' creativity. And mind you, their guidelines were extremely strict to begin with. It's a misconception that they had a lot of freedom, everything had to be approved by paranoid studio bosses who had to bend to the communist censors' every whim.
Basically, both films were fucked since inception, studios saw no merit in them and even Hungarians didn't care much for either. I'd say more mainstream and less unconventional works like Cat City, Vuk or the numerous television comedy shows are more representative of Hungary's usual animation output.

That’s all Slav storytelling

Tragedy was also delayed because the government collapsed. Jankovics said he spent roughly 6 actual years working on the film, and the rest just trying to get funding.

African

Wat?? Can one person really sue a company, because they misused terms in their language. Wouldn't you need to own a language to do that?

Inclusion of windmills of friendship and tolerance have never hurt anybody.

Attached: hebrew repelling church door.jpg (1066x1600, 256K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tales_of_Alvin_Maker

But they have no history or cultures to draw from.

Cash grab.