Could the avatar setting work with other cultures besides Asian

Could the avatar setting work with other cultures besides Asian

Attached: B899706C-B2CA-478D-8FC1-05471B4DA254.jpg (800x584, 119K)

Fuck i’d love a TLA with your pic as its setting.

I guess the dragon prince has some similar themes, animation aside. wasn’t it made by the same studio or author or some shit?
>fantasy creatures
>magic tied to elements, with one person supposedly having mastery over all of them
>nations of people, and other human like species at war using magic.

Slav mythology is weird but it’s interesting

But that all changed when the Muscovites attacked.

Hmm, don't think so.
A lot of the spiritual background is firmly rooted in Asian concepts.

You can probably swap out the factions (for example a Not-Teutonic Order instead of Not-Meiji Japan as the aggressor), but for the supernatural aspect to fit in with the rest you'd have to rework the whole Bending/Avatar system.

So you have... wurst-bending?

Not really, the whole reincarnation cycle of the avatar is pretty tied to asian mythologies.

you could try Indian

>avatar setting
The setting is based on Asian culture, if you take it away what's left?

India is part of Asia and as a result influences and is influenced by other Asian culture.

TLA did reference Indian culture.

Attached: 1527106597623.png (333x250, 133K)

You could maybe have the "Avatar" be someone tutored by angels, Joan d'Arc style, instead of being reincarnated.

No, but I'd line to see a western take on the concept all the same. Consider Korra concepts non canon and do something like the west turned energy bending in a direction other than elements. Alchemy, shape shifting, enhancement and psychics.

Dot or feather kind?

American Indians is maybe the only way you could do a non-Eastern version of it. They're the only other culture I can think of where their spiritual practices are firmly rooted in cooperation with and veneration of the natural world. Western settings would have to ignore the majority of Abrahamic religion which emphasized the dominion of man over nature.

Or you just go pre-Christian.
With Druidic, Germanic and Romuvan influences.
Which would however limit the technology, unless you want to keep the old gods but scale technology up a thousand years or two. At which point you are naturally in complete fantasy land with a few design elements tossed in.

I recall two during the heyday, one of which was a medieval setting, and Aang was an "Airist Monk." And another that was Mediterranean, with Aang being Greek. I think his name was Aeolus in that one.

Hey, there's an idea. Technology wouldn't even need to be scaled back so hard, Avatar threw iron battleships at us in the first episode and when Korra was just developing cars, Kuvira built a fucking Gundam by the end of the series.

fucking bronze age

Sup nerds?

Attached: 51YMsM.jpg (347x499, 39K)

Maybe. It's my head canon that the other side of the Avatar World is where the Dragon Prince continent is located.

Literally Dragon Prince

Yea Forums actually made a european ATLA AU

If there was a Native american avatar, are we stuck with only North American natives or can we include the the entirety of the Americas? Cause if it's the Later it's obvious the Aztecs would be the fire nation since they worshiped the sun as their main god.

Attached: Amerikanska_folk,_Nordisk_familjebok.jpg (3036x2333, 3.44M)

Bump

Well duh, it's not like the Asian theming is that deep, it's largely window dressing.

Are you kidding? Vague hippie-ish ideas of balance (that turns out to be good vs bad by a more exotic name) isn't a deep root.
Fuck's sake the very elements they use are the classical Greek ones rather than Asian ones.

Someone post those ancient AU pictures.

Mounted drummer looks like a dwarf