A critique of bias in favor of Messi

In 2012 the argument in favor of Messi vs Ronaldo was that Messi had more Balon d'Ors (4-1 for Messi) therefore Messi was the better player,
When Ronaldo equaled the score the argument shifted toward Messi winning more titles (4 Champions League titles to Ronaldo's 2 (pre-2016)(Messi's 9 to Ronaldo's 5) therefore Messi was the better player,
When Ronaldo overtook the score the argument now shifted toward goalscoring (particularly Messi's 91 calendar year goals and at one point having more Champions League goals) therefore Messi was the better player,
When Ronaldo overtook the Champions League scoring table and put up a better goals to game ratio in La Liga he was labelled a goal poacher, tap in artist, Penaldo, etc.
Now the argument rests in favor of Messi's assist record despite Messi playing behind or beside top goalscorers most of his career (Eto'o, Henry, Ibrahimovic, David Villa, Neymar, Suarez, and in a similar vein, Ronaldinho) while Ronaldo was always relied upon as THE main goalscorer of his team. It's worth noting his assist record in the Champions League as well.

I'm not at all putting Messi's achievements or accomplishments behind him or doubting his talent whatsoever, but how can there seriously be a discussion between these two when the goalposts are always being moved in one players' favor?
Also, why do Messi fans seem to always play down Ronaldo's talent, pretending that he's simply a poacher while he was touted as one of, if not, the best dribbler during his formative Manchester and early Madrid days, while also being the most feared wingers during the 2008-2016 seasons that scored from all areas of the pitch? Is it confirmation bias?

Attached: ronaldo_vs_messi_rivalry_cristiano_ronaldo_juventus_lionel_messi_barcelona.jpg (1400x788, 179K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EbrOYwRLtXA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who the fuck cares lmao

>>>reddit

Sure Messi has huge talent. But people who say CR7 is shit without any talent at all should stop watching football right now

>fucking a leaf
Of course Ronaldo is amazing, but stats still go in Messoy's favor and he's definitely the better player individually. Maybe not as decorated in the champions league right now, but champions league is a lot just luck and refs.

Messi is not only a great goal scorer but also one of the greatest platmakers of all time, a quality Ronaldo just lacks too sorely in

>just luck and refs.
>20 years gone and still complaining about refs and saying its just luck

no reading all that shit, anyone with 2 eyes can see within a minute of play Messi is the GOAT. The only comparable player is Hazard, imagine Hazard scoring 50-90 goals a season he can barely break 15.

>one of the greatest platmakers of all time
I've seen this opinion regurgitated so much times I can't believe people actually seem to believe it. Sure he plays more passes than Ronaldo but to mention that when we've come to see Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, de le Pena, Kaka,, Modric etc. just in the past decade is preposterous. Ronaldo is probably the greatest crosser of the ball.
Ronaldo put up 50+ 6 seasons in a row between the 2010/11 and 2015/16 seasons. He even put up 42 and 44 goals in the last 2 seasons respectively while being rested in lower league clashes.

why is it always the worst flags having this argument? reminder:
>individual awards don't count towards a player's greatness
>team awards don't count towards a player's greatness
>all that counts is how great the player is
use your eyes lads, right after you start using your heads

ronnie is the goat scorer
messi is the goat scorer plus goat playmaker.

Hmmmm let's guess why one has good (((MEDIA))) opinion being labeled all over the world and the other one - in contrary.

Attached: makes you think.png (601x728, 1023K)

It's almost like you can't judge a players ability by team achievements, popularity votings and mindless stats and have to actually watch a player play to understand his greatness.
Discussing this rivalry in terms of who is the better player per se is pointless because it's Messi regardless of stats or titles. You can make statements about who scored more goals or who has more titles but evaluating the player himself by these metrics doesn't work.

>Ronaldo is probably the greatest crosser of the ball.
There's no way you can genuinely believe this

>Have no unbiased, physical, objective arguments to prove you are right.
>MUH HEART, FOLLOW IT TO FIND THE GREATER ONE is your argument now.

Holy mother of kek, only Messoys can be this retarded. Same here

>yet another Messi - CR thread
Why do you even care? It's not like you can turn a Messifag to Ronaldodickrider or vice versa. The losers posting stats and argue about the same are fucking pathetic nolifers.

Attached: 1552520767569.png (700x367, 205K)

Sure but Ronaldo has titles in 4 different countries in 4 different leagues and has managed to be the only player win a BDO, CL, league, national title and a top scorer award at 2 different clubs and has added an international title to it. He has more goals then Messi so how can you say Messi wins stat wise when it's simply not true?
You are actually beyond delusional if you think otherwise

Achievment/titles wise both are close. CR has the Euro/CL, Messi massive league gap and trebles.
CL performances both are great, CR really caught up recently.
NT performances both are kinda shit overall, CR might be slightly better.
Week to week (league,cup) Messi is by far the best player ever. Not even close.
Head to head/Classicos Messi has the edge.
Ability wise it's Messi. Again not close.

>CL performances both are great, CR really caught up recently.

Attached: 1512498277886.png (645x729, 99K)

Who the fuck are you quoting you absolute mong

>Ability wise it's Messi. Again not close.
This is where Messi fans expose their ignorance, every time and without fail. You're talking about a guy who changed his game from a traditional winger in a 442 formation a la Beckham, to a lethal winger who cut inside, scored longshots from 40+ yards and still managed to be a the most feared box player, he's scored 60 free kicks goals before changing his technique due to shot knees (yes he's bad at them now). 2007-2013 was his prime in dribbling and you're simply ignorant if you think he wasn't the most feared player on the ball. How do you forget he's probably the most 2 footed player in the game probably only behind Perisic in that regard?

Attached: D1noYz9WwAA4lwn.png (658x788, 751K)

If UEFA riggs a few more games in his favor he might end up a greater CL player than Messi

my beef with Messi is his attitude and the general approach towards him, everyone jumps to protect him from press criticism, when the team is down he shows zero will to win, sure, it's easy to be motivated when you're winning, but when Barca/Argentina is losing an important match he completely disappears and stares at the grass, his display against Roma last season was such a disgrace in that regard, it's always other people defending him, he never does it himself, when a Ronaldo team is losing, you see him with his head up, screaming, motivating his teammates, trying the best he can to change the course of the match, he faces the press himself when he gets criticized
sorry, but I can't consider someone who threatens to leave his NT after each defeat, when he should be showing his leadership, the GOAT

>he rates champions league

my team, manchester city, has drawn this
>Lyon
>Hoffenheim
>Shahktar
>Schalke
>Tottenham

wow, it really is the "champions" league

>arguing over a bunch of worldcuplets
neither can be GOAT, buy yeah missi is better

Attached: cheeky GOAT.jpg (767x431, 38K)

Mate if you’ve ever watched a Messi game you know he regularly makes passes of absolutely world class level

>If UEFA riggs a few more games in his favor

Attached: implying.png (1280x1100, 2.14M)

The only argument Ronaldo truly had was Messi being a system baby statpadder (which he was), but these last couple of years he has been playing under a more conservative coach and he's reaching numbers never seen before so oh well

Ronaldo still has a good argument for 2nd best ever

Great point. Proving even more how one is the public enemy and the other one the angel on earth as presentted by teh (((MEDIA))),

I'm starting to think it was not in Barca's favour but in PSG's disfavor

Messi is more complete, Ronaldo is the better goal-scorer,end of. whoever (you consider) is better depends on your point of view, i've seen this debate so many times it's ridiculous

Complete in what aspect? Ronaldo excels at passing too and he's playing with an out of form Mandzukic and Dybala. I'd make the case that Ronaldo is a better defender since he's known to clear out headers from his box

The argument always was that Messi was a better player, retard. Ronaldo can win 30 Ballon d'Or, 70 golden shoes, 35 world cups and 17 champions leagues. If he still plays like shit, he will never be a GOAT contender. So unless he suddenly learns how to play at age 34, he's 2010's Gerd Muller

>Ronaldo excels at passing too
lmao

Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller

Who do people remember? Beckenbauer, who played beautifully, or Gerd Muller, who was a more prolific scorer than even CR7?

Except Messi plays better than Beckenbauer and scores more than both Muller and CR7. While CR7 still can't beat Muller.

>better player wins awards
Should be easy enough to grasp, even for you
youtube.com/watch?v=EbrOYwRLtXA
Yes, because Muller was known for scoring outside of the box and making splitting runs, you're actually a genius mate. Stop spamming my thread
Have you actually watched a single game? Ronaldo is easily the better player, you just let the Messi-starring Fritos Lays commercials get to you.

No they don't. Maradona won basically nothing, and he was the best of all time until Messi came around.

Ronaldo played nearly 1000 games already, and you found 14 minutes of good passes? lmao

Messi has outscored Ronaldo outside the box 42-20 in the past seasons. Ronaldo is only known for scoring headers, tap-ins, penalties & refball goals (4 offside goals in CL KO's and 1 phantom goal)

>Have you actually watched a single game?
This is probably why I know Messi is better

>Ronaldo game
doesn't touch the ball, when he does he fucks up, and needs 10 chances to score 1

>Messi game
manages the game, dribbles, passes, assists and scores

>Maradona won basically nothing
He won you a World Cup and carried a 14th placed Napoli to a league title in his first season. Automatically places him above Messi
This entire post is a cope if I've ever seen one. Are you the Argie I told to seek mental help? Looks like it didn't do you any good
If not, seek medical help immediately

Basically:

Messi is a SIMP, cuck, incel-like person

Ronaldo is a true Chad, Alpha Male, Dominant Leader

>Ronaldo is probably the greatest crosser of the ball.

He isn’t even close to being the best crosser today, never mind all time

You wrote all of that thinking you've just so happened to find some new metric that makes Ronnie better than Messi? It's like another ameribro said, Ronnie fans love Ronnie. Messi fans love football.

Argentina without Maradona won the 1978 WC and the 1991 & 93 Copa America, he played in a stacked team that could win without him. Napoli didn't just buy Maradona. They bought an entire new team that season, including Brazil's starting forward alongside Maradona.

It's not cope though, it's just a fact.

Who are the undisputed best players of all time before Messi? (you wouldn't know, as you didn't watch football back then)

Pelé
Beckenbauer
Cruyff
Maradona

The only one who had good goalscoring numbers there is Pelé

Ronaldo is a knock-off Muller. Muller averaged 1 goal per game in the WC, in the CL and in the Euro's, won all these tournaments scoring in the final, including 3 CL in a row. In other words, he has better on paper than Ronaldo. Yet people remember Beckenbauer and Cruyff (who never even won anything with his country), not him.

Because fuck stats all you really have to do to know Messi is plain superior is watch them play

And even if you go by stats, Ronaldo is not the GOAT.

You have Bican, Pelé and Muller, all far superior to Ronaldo in stats.

If we are talking numbers Suarez is unironically better than Ronaldo

also Romario had better stats

Messi fans are the most casual football fans on the planet, it's unarguable. There's a reason why reddit thinks Messi is the GOAT and why actual top flight managers, players, pundits etc. (that aren't sponsored by PepsiCo.) think Ronaldo is the GOAT
You're English and you don't think Ronaldo isn't the best crosser yet alone the GOAT? You're an Arsenal fan yeah? Or are you still seething from 2006?
Seek help this isn't a joke
Not an argument

>no arguments
You got blown the fuck out

>top players think Ronaldo is the GO-
lmao, they don't even include him in their All Time XI (protip, it's the Brazilian Ronaldo), while Messi is in all of them

Ronaldo has better stats than Messi, are you trying to imply something?

shanta's really stepping up the number of threads he makes. klthink it's cos we always reply.

Attached: 1438875261659.jpg (460x287, 43K)

Ronaldo has only has 17 more goals in 130 more games. Messi will have more goals than Ronaldo by the end of this year. In the CL, Messi needed 20 fewer games to reach 100 goals. He will finish above Ronaldo.

And that's just goals, the only thing Ronaldo can compete at.

Should I post some mental health phone lines for you? I can't give you a referral though you'll need a doctor to do that for you

Why are penaldo fags so insecure ?

Seethe more, casual statbabby.

Reminder that Cristiano is not even top 10

Di Stefano, Pelé, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Muller, Maradona, Zidane, Romario, Ronaldo (the real one), Ronaldinho, Messi

>stats, stats, stats, number, numbers, numbers
Anyone watches Barcelona and Madrid(now Juve) games and actually pays attention for the whole 90 minutes knows who the better player is. Simple as that.
And by the way, the true Messi-Ronaldo debate started in 2016 when Cristiano won the Champions League and Euro, and then another two CLs. Before that though? From '09 to 2015 it was all Messi, not even a competition.

Messoy apologists are insecure manlets. You know what's their latest excuse? Messi is "just" better. Messoy fans are the sports equivalent of apple fanboys.

>Ronaldo and Muller are the same type of player

Attached: 1550138237585.jpg (240x240, 6K)

There are at least ten players I consider more talented than him and that I'd rather watch than him, but I don't think there are ten with greater accomplishments

Ronaldo is the greatest player I've ever seen in my life (I'm 23). He has as much talent as the next "big thing" but he has achieved so much more than anyone expected him to and has gone on to not just match messi but surpass him in many categories. Messi is a freak of nature and we will probably never see another player with the same talent messi was blessed with but it leads you to think, how amazing would messi have been if he worked as hard as Ronaldo to be his best?

Ronaldo is the best to be because he had less and achieved more than his much more talented arch rival. You now remember when Rooney was considered a better talent than Ronaldo back between 2005 and 2007.

>ronaldo is not really better than messi but he's the goat because he improved more than messi
Penaldo fags are not even arguing that he's better than Messi now, they just shift the goalposts

As the previous user said you could name 10 players more talented than Ronaldo but none would have achieved personal success as much as he did. You can either say messi under achieved considering the talent he had or you can say Ronaldo over achieved. Either way Ronaldo is more impressive of the two and he is the best player I've ever seen because of that.

If that makes you mad then deal with it.

For me, in these last 5 years Cristiano has broken into the all time top 10, but he’s not a top 5 yet.

>6-1
That was such a shitfest, but at leas PSG deserves everything bad that happens to them.

>2005 Ballon d'Or
>Ronaldo: 20th
>Rooney: In contention but didn't receive any votes

>2006 Ballon d'Or
>Ronaldo: 14th
>Rooney: In contention but didn't receive any votes

>2007 Ballon d'Or
>Ronaldo: 2nd
>Rooney: 26th

Think Rooney was only considered better than Ronaldo during those years by the lads in the pub

These are the words Messoy apologists do NOT want to hear. For them, Messoy is the best because they know it's impossible to be like him, he's one in a million roided HGH freak autistic goblino.
As for Ronaldo, he got there because he has mental discipline beyond anyone the sporting world has ever experienced.

It's something the average Messoy fan, a procrastinator, hopeless disappointment, lazy, underachiever, waste of people cannot grasp and makes them seethe. I can guarantee you a majority of those Messoy fans were, at a certain time of their life, THAT kid who was smart without even trying. Somewhere along, that got away. That's why they identify with the midget, they know they're not like him and they could never be, even if they worked their asses, which is impossible to them.

Ronaldo is a representation of what ascending to success is. Insecure, helpless Messoy fans hate that, and they always will.

Here's a few examples

In England Rooney was the big upcoming superstar and even on a global stage he secured deals like fifa covers over Ronaldo.

Genuinely can't think what could have possibly made you consider Ronaldo the greatest crosser of all time

>what the fuck is country bias
a brit (this applies to argentineans too) sells more than a portuguese, on average

>throwing a tantrum is leadership
I'd rather have a GOAT autist who performs week after week and wins me all domestic titles than a guy who has shot conversion rate of 1 in 10

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
L
O
W
N

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

O
U
T

Most based and redpilled post I have ever seen in my life desu

Checked and he was above Ronaldo in the 2004 Ballon list, guess both being teenagers but him being 2 years younger made higher rated

Would say Rooney was considered better between 2003-2005 not 2005-2007 doe

The fact that you faggots have to come up with all these elaborate philosophies and go through extreme mental gymnastics to justify your belief that Ronaldo is better really shows that you're just edgy contrarians.

Seriously, your devotion to Ronaldo is cult-like. I just watch the sport, and anybody who watches the sport says that Messi is a far more complete player.

you are delusional if you think Messi does not work hard

he has ten times the defensive contribution penaldo ever had, his free-kicks are one of the best in the world (miles above ronaldo's for sure), he trains as much as any other player

on the other hand, ronaldo lives constantly in Messi's shadow so his only lifegoal is to be better than Messi. He is so obsessed about scoring goals that he is angry if a teammate scores. Always compares himself to Messi, eventhough Messi does not give a shit about Ronaldo.

Subhumans coping so hard I'm not even gonna (You) them

Attached: lmao.jpg (400x400, 18K)

I'm one of these super gay dudes, and I think it plays a huge role in me preferring Ronaldo. At least I realize it, and I know myself.

heh

it doesn't matter. watch who you like, enjoy the games, and that's all.

i love those right footed shot compilations that messi is so known for. He's also great at heading.

this. none of them even knows that i exist, might aswell support either the one i like the most or the one that makes my counterparts seeth, thus appeasing my schadenfreude

For me it's spamming MESSIMESSIMESSI or TSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU when one of them scores.

Careful, the numales will grasp at your post

>pointing out that messi can't head
That's just going to draw the manlets on you. My personal theory for Messi's massive popularity is that manlets like to live vicariously through him.

Soccer is one of the few sports where a manlet can excel, and it therefore has a lot of manlet fans. To see a 6'1'' chad like Ronaldo dominate the sport is devastating to the manlet and therefore he seeks to send Ronaldo tumbling down to eye level.

Attached: manlet rage.gif (396x335, 2.7M)

im sorry i didnt realize goals scored with your right foot and head counted more

people like Zlatan though.

Messi isn't even the GOAT from his own country.

Attached: 1F97509700000578-5891719-image-m-10_1530100848103.jpg (634x718, 51K)

Lol, Ronaldo cant even dominate his league (when in madird)

If you count being a woman-beating degenerate as a sport and Olympic coke snorting then yeah sure.

imagine thinking Burruchaga is the reason Maradona > Messi lmao.

Based and extremely Redpilled

>the best dribbler during his formative Manchester and early Madrid days, while also being the most feared wingers during the 2008-2016 seasons that scored from all areas of the pitch

I have said this countless times before on here and no one agreed. Good to see you are not blind like everyone else. Ronaldo was a highly skilled technical player in the first half of his career.

Basado and redpillado

>Ability wise it's Messi. Again not close.
/thread
Messi is the best player to kick a ball, ever. This isn't up for debate.

>He has more goals then Messi
Messi is younger
Gerd Muller scored almost twice as many goals as Cruyff

Yes it is

>I can guarantee you a majority of those Messoy fans were, at a certain time of their life, THAT kid who was smart without even trying. Somewhere along, that got away.
Lol. You actually nailed me there you cunt. That said, that doesn't change the fact that Messi > Ronnie

Only if you're know nothing about football
>tf
>tp

btw I'm a boomer and used to be Maradona > Messi. i didn't want to admit that maradona wasn't the goat and it took a while to comeround. it's messi. accept it.

He was always prone to overestimating himself at all points in his career resulting in some hilarious failures

t. didn't watch him spaz his lollipops up 3 in 4 times on MOTD for half a decade

Lol