NVIDIA Transitioning To Official, Open-Source Linux GPU Kernel Driver

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-open-kernel&num=1

github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

>The day has finally come: NVIDIA IS PUBLISHING THEIR LINUX GPU KERNEL MODULES AS OPEN-SOURCE! To much excitement and a sign of the times, the embargo has just expired on this super-exciting milestone that many of us have been hoping to see for many years. Over the past two decades NVIDIA has offered great Linux driver support with their proprietary driver stack, but with the success of AMD's open-source driver effort going on for more than a decade, many have been calling for NVIDIA to open up their drivers. Their user-space software is remaining closed-source but as of today they have formally opened up their Linux GPU kernel modules and will be maintaining it moving forward. Here's the scoop on this landmark open-source decision at NVIDIA.

>Many have been wondering in recent years what sort of NVIDIA open-source play the company has been working on... Going back to the end of 2019 have been signals of some sort of open-source driver effort and various rumblings have continued since that point. Last month I also pointed out a new open-source kernel driver appearing as part of the NVIDIA Tegra sources. Well, now the embargo has just expired and the lid can be lifted - NVIDIA is providing a fully open-source kernel driver solution for their graphics offerings. This isn't limited to just Tegra or so but spans not only their desktop graphics but is already production-ready for data center GPU usage.

Attached: image.php.jpg (1920x1250, 459.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N4FlL1FCbvA
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_device.c#n1177
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Or in other words Nvidia has realized it's not worth maintaining Linux drivers by themselves so they're just gonna crowdsource that shit

Whelp, that settles it. So long, Windows. It was nice knowing you (not really).

I can finally come home. :')

Attached: Steam-Linux.jpg (650x446, 24K)

youtube.com/watch?v=N4FlL1FCbvA

tdlr?

>We have grown tired of paying people to optimize and will now allow linux autists to optimize for us for free.

Linux users continue to be free labor.

Attached: 1647722094885.jpg (476x1024, 55.49K)

WE ARE GOING HOME.

LET'S GOOOOOO

Attached: TRsoKUR.jpg (1920x1080, 312.74K)

Nothing was stopping you from using their proprietary drivers this entire time.

Does this mean Nvidia will finally work better with Wayland soon?

>NVIDIA will also accept community contributions to the code where there is merit or bugs being addressed, but does require a CLA for signing off on the code to NVIDIA.
Yikes

I made a promise to never install W11 on my computer. Currently dual booting Manjaro and 10 because of online games with friends. I'm using an AMD gpu btw.

Good. Maybe now Linux won't be a huge piece of shit to actually use if hardware is supported out of box.

That just leaves Microsoft capitulating and making UWP dead and porting UWP shit over.

it's about fucking time

Attached: nvidia guy.jpg (720x482, 101.83K)

>NVIDIA will also accept community contributions to the code where there is merit or bugs being addressed, but does require a CLA for signing off on the code to NVIDIA.
DOA. Literally a sign off on every commit they accept so they can sue you if you cause problems. This will not only deter contributions but also the approval process means the rate at which contributions are integrated will be slow as fuck

its over for windies

Attached: 1646321239895.jpg (799x481, 157.07K)

Micropajeets, we just keep losing…

>widnie doesnt understand the importance and impact of open-source

Attached: 1646409956054.png (1200x796, 776.63K)

Nice. I was planning to get an AMD RX 7900 XT later this year for my Linux workstation, but if Nvidia can pull this off well enough, I might look at an RTX 4080 if it has 16GB VRAM as rumored (I use Blender, which uses a lot of VRAM when rendering, so I want something with at least 16GB VRAM).

Attached: screenshot-www.techpowerup.com-2022.05.11-17_14_41.png (925x560, 85.93K)

>Published the source code to a variant of the NVIDIA Linux kernel modules dual-licensed as MIT/GPLv2. The source is available here:
>variant

Loooool
It's not the real driver, just some gimped version.

What does this mean for the Nouveau project?

>It's not the real driver
Yes it is you illiterate moron. It says "variant" because for the mean time they are still maintaining the closed source driver along side it.

It's better that there's a whole community working on it rather than a small team that sees Windows as their highest priority and Linux as secondary.

Speaking as someone who isn't really familiar with subject, wasn't unreliability of drivers basically main obstacles to run games with high graphic requirements on Linux? Is it reliable enough with this to completely switch yet?

Not anymore. AMD is very reliable and NVIDIA is "good enough", the main obstacle now is developers refusing to support things like anticheat software on Linux. Wine and DXVK has gotten good enough that 99% of Windows software would just work if it wasn't intentionally crippled.

Yeah, but the proprietary drivers have a couple of problems with Wayland atm. I feel confident that this will change things for the better.

that dumb penguin needs rape correction

No, the main obstacle is that you have to run games through an OS API cope layer (Wine) and a graphics API cope layer (DXVK / VKD3D).
AAA games rarely get Linux ports, and when they do the port is often a mess.
Who knows if this will ever change. Writing native software for Linux is a chore compared to Windows. Especially now that you're not supporting just a single display server (Xorg) but also a protocol that can have infinitely many implementations (Wayland).

He won.

Attached: 1635929444237.jpg (640x424, 28.74K)

>Writing native software for Linux is a chore compared to Windows
I can tell you've never written software for anything. Dealing with Win32 and Microsoft's build system is a fucking chore.
>Especially now that you're not supporting just a single display server (Xorg) but also a protocol that can have infinitely many implementations (Wayland)
Just use SDL2. That goes for Windows too.

We all won today.

>MIT/GPL dual-license

Not too bad.

MIT is the best for a kernel driver like this since BSD can use parts of the code without running into licensing issues. I believe AMD and Intel use it too.

Attached: 30967329847293853.png (571x190, 41.42K)

>AAA game using SDL
L O L

>I can tell you've never written software for anything. Dealing with Win32 and Microsoft's build system is a fucking chore.
Cool larp, dipshit.
Show me one native Linux GUI program you've written without using any toolkits.

>L O L
Unreal Engine uses SDL2. Cool larp, dipshit.
>without using any toolkits
But why? Don't pretend Win32 isn't a toolkit, it just happens to be the only choice available on Windows.

Attached: 31b966e53c44c6c804aef3fa80f0d195a0eab5510f01b978abd13e335493c878.jpg (800x450, 15.71K)

>Unreal Engine uses SDL2.
Not on Windows.
I wonder why.

So is there still any reason for anyone to buy an AMD card?

RX 7000 series is allegedly supposed to have a much lower power draw than the RTX 4000 equivalents.

Most likely because the Win32 code was developed before SDL2 existed. It works fine for them on Linux, it will work for you too. No reason to bother with implementing different backends for X11 and Wayland.

You mean the community that ensured that linux is still garbage after more than than 30 years?

Year of Proton gaming.

I'm fine with this, it still means I get all the linux features I like

That RTX 3090 there sure be lookin' mighty thicc.

Well, the full driver is unlikely to be open source, just the kernel module for loading it, which itself will basically eliminate any Nvidia-related problems on Linux but some people won't like the userspace driver being closed.

Does this mean Wayland will actually work properly on Nvidia GPUs? If so, I'm interested, if not, this basically changes nothing for me.

How will changes to the kernel driver fix all the issues NVIDIA has with Wayland?

>which itself will basically eliminate any Nvidia-related problems on Linux
Don't be so sure of that, NVIDIA still writes their own DDX driver which is far worse than the open alternatives. It will eliminate most issues though, I agree.

Nice, it's day one and there are already community-provided patches coming in.

Hope they're being vetted before they're implemented though.

Wayland has barely any issues on Nvidia, and the latest driver fixes things like gamescope and OBS. The kernel module itself won't fix that though, true.
True, but people won't be left in unbootable states by kernel upgrades, which is the major thing.

>install steam
>graphic card is now bricked
Can't wait

There's a pull request that's apparently supposed to enable resizable BAR support. Let's see where that goes.

>True, but people won't be left in unbootable states by kernel upgrades, which is the major thing
That didn't really bother me when I was using NVIDIA since rolling back was easy. What really bothered me was the desktop being a stuttery tearing mess. Maybe they're improved that but it was bad back in 2018.

>Wayland has barely any issues on Nvidia
bait

>barely any
that implies there are some at all, wondering what they are and how they get fixed by this
"BAR"?

It's over
Windows is dead

Attached: images.jpg (259x194, 4.93K)

gayland already works on nvidia

Do you have VRR yet?

>The day of the ransomwared GPUs has finally come

Who cares? Just stick to Xorg.

This, and I had already given up on it happening

>already copying code from AMD
It's... it's beautiful.
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_device.c#n1177

Apologize.

Attached: 1652307274552.jpg (1400x1400, 104.61K)

>gayland
I get that it's essentially early access right now and still has a lot of work ahead of it but I don't know why people get so assmad about a thing that would fix screentearing and framerate issues on setups with multiple monitors of varying refresh rates, and fix problems like how the game Crimsonland treats my 3 monitor setup in xorg like it's one monitor which basically bricked an otherwise functional game until I turned off my secondary monitors.

Like, what's the problem with wanting that when xorg isn't fixing these issues?

Xorg is dying.

>vrr
Meme
>multimonitors
Meme

>Linux keeps getting better and better
>It gets better exponentially

Attached: 1636646586727.gif (480x244, 1M)

WE DID IT REDDIT

>Come to linux, you're gaining freedom over your OS!
>But don't do anything you want to do that I don't like, that's a meme.

Attached: kill yourself.jpg (1280x720, 117.8K)

We dun did it.

Explain to a retard (me) the implications of this?

They're not opening the fun bits like 3D acceleration.

Is this good news for a Windows chad?

God bless the hackers that forced their hand

Basically;
The Nvidia driver will be easier to install and less likely to break on Linux distros going forward.