How do you look back at the 2000s era of video games now?

How do you look back at the 2000s era of video games now?

Attached: 1643061665786.jpg (1024x768, 147.06K)

Games were exactly where they should have been

I miss it, but that's probably coming mostly from a place of nostalgia and is more that I miss being a younger person who was more easily amused.

What I think I do regret is that my home console ended up being a PS2, when at the time I was a much bigger pokefag and would have probably had way better memories playing pokemon colosseum and mario sunshine and other bing bing wahoo stuff as I was too young to appreciate the best exclusives on the PS2.

Where the fuck is WinAMP?

>2000 - 2007
Great
>2007 - Now
Shit except Fromsoft games and a few other outliers. After 2007 came the time of rampant DLC, unfinished games, casualized games, and just shit overall.

It's when studios started folding left and right and formerly good teams couldn't keep up with the expectations the new hardware created. There's a ton of good games, but the timeline is a fucking graveyard.

It gave me me higher expectations of console generation gaps. Nothing's really changed since 2007 except visuals.

There was some kind of sweet spot there. Before the internet a lot of games like Sonic Adventure DX and Animal Crossing both shipped with several roms on the disc.
That probably won't happen again with eshops, and online subscriptions.

Indies are replicating the gaming experimentation with lower budgets of yesteryear.

With a lot of nostalgia. The Gamecube, Xbox, GBA, PSP, and DS were my middle and high school years. Then the 360, Wii, and PS3 came out during the tail end of my high school years. But I would say the original Xbox was really defining for my teenage youth.

What I miss from this era are the different communities that you had and the different identities of those communities.

the SOVL years

The high point of gaming for sure. Some no taste fagotrons will roll up saying "bbuh 7th gen bad??" and they can be completely disregarded. Great game after great game right up until 2013 when things got a little shaky and then 2016 will things just came completely fucked.

Attached: bayo.png (272x479, 53.33K)

A lot of unique titles and passion was still there, although fleeting.

Mostly good, faltering around late 2000s in 2007-2009. But still eons better than where we are now.

Exactly the same as I do now. It was fine, but not as good as Genesis vs. SNES or N64 vs. Playstation. Although the Dreamcast was fantastic, I didn't care as much for the PS2/GCN/Xbox as everyone seems to now. Admittedly I can't speak much on Xbox since I never actually had one, but I never thought this generation was all that amazing. I honestly and truly liked gen 7 more than gen 6 for the most part. Never had or wanted a PS3, but the 360 and Wii gave me some of the most fun games I've played (some I STILL play today) and some of the best moments I've had with video games. All generations though are infinitely better than gen 8 and will be better than the current one.

I think 2009 was the last good year and the first bad year

>How do you look back at the 2000s era of video games now?

Like I always have, it was the PS2 show. Some great games on the other consoles sure but it was largely the PS2 show until you get into the later parts of the 2000's. Then it became all about 360 at first, Wii was the casual go to console, and then PS3 caught up at the end to close out the 2000's years of gaming. It also started with Sega imo dying and never really recovering.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-04-24 201511.png (373x153, 14.79K)

you have to play 6th gen games to like them

why the fuck can't we get stylized skins like this on modern windows?

Where gaming peaked. Buy a console, insert disc you play the game from start to finish. No online bullshit, even on Xbox Live and PC. Games were games, the culture had soul.

The console generation gap felt immense. Nes was a world of difference from the snes, the snes from the n64 and the n64 from the GC. But it kinda stopped there. The ps3 is almost the same as the PS5, there is nothing revolutionary in newer generations, the quality jumps are barely noticiable in comparison to the 2000 and eralier eras.

You forgot to mention what everyone always forget, and that is that game design/mechanics have actually declined.

I’d say 2012 was when the games got commercialized

You will take your minimalist shit and like it.

>2000-2006
Excellent

>2007-2009
Abhorrent

A lot of things were off since it was still early 3d but the greats were still rolling in regularly. Then the 360 happened.

For me gaming died in 2012

I was poor and had a pentium 3, I don't want to look back

>Breaking Benjamin starts playing

Attached: gears-of-war-2-wallpaper-19.jpg (1280x720, 211.37K)

Magical Melody is the best farm/life sim game, and it's not even close.

Pre-2008 gaming was like riding a wave with everyone else in your generation. We all knew we were witnessing something big, and most people in the industry tried to live up to the potential.
Then came politics to games, and with it came the insidious infiltrator types who join a community just to exclude people they don't like.
Corporate LOVES these people because they're useful idiots to allow the corporations more control over discourse relating to their products. Mediocre games could now be controversial while not actually doing anything.

And here we are. All the other negatives are side effects.

2005-2013 was the longest gen of vidya i've ever seen. I felt like the 360WiiPs3 life was here to stay until they finally pushed out the BonePS4WiiU

*pre-2012
FTFY

No, 2008. Just because you didn't notice it didn't mean it didn't happen.

2008-2012 was still a fun time for me with games

ps2 games suck. 00s was the era of nintendo handhelds and xbox/gamecube splitscreen multiplayer

You may have had fun, and I've even had fun recently, but that was when the decline really started.

autistic people taking 2008 as a politics cutoff is funny
everything went to shit because of the global market crisis
sjw shit came later
much later for real impact

I always liked it.

I miss it so much. Part of my interest in video games was the wonder of how much better they would get. How much more kinds of content they could do for all kinds of genres. How much more we would have. Didn't really turn out that way. Pure disappointment

>corporations tighten their grip on their products during financial trouble
You want a medal for that super keen observation?

You assumed gamers would keep working on games after the salaries became good for normies.
Overpaying for labour is one of the biggest problems with the industry and is why it has largely stagnated; you don't even have to deliver a product functioning or on time to make $150k/year. Look at 343 for gods sake, an entire studio of the cunts

You can, most people just don’t bother.

God I grew up in Central PA so i remember Breaking Ben from their beginnings playing on 97.9x. I remember being so happy whey Blow Me Away got announced for Halo 2 esp when XPlay interviewed them.

Breaking Ben and Dragonforce were my two bands i knew "before they were cool" cause my best friends brother used to burn CDs for me and he gave me a copy of Sonic Firestorm to try.

Fuck i am old

lmao
what tightened grip?
leftism isn't a tightened grip, it's a kite permanently tied to a power line

>You assumed gamers would keep working on games
Indeed I did. I can see the heart is gone. They're so much more mediocre than I thought they would become. This is the worst timeline for video games. I was foolish.

You're still looking at this as left vs right when in reality it is far more nuanced. These people don't actually care about the politics, they just use them to divert discourse away from how objectively good or bad a product is. Perpetual uncertainty & turmoil is their goal, they just push the buttons of the left and right to fight over anything but (product)

Not as good as the 1993-1999 era.

We all fell for it man. It'll get better after the crash in a couple years.

I miss websites and forums having their own identity. Castlevania and Metal Gear websites. It wasn't like reddit where people are just chasing any attention they can get, it was more like a hangout in some obscure corner.

I miss having a certain feeling that everyone knew of the same cool things and it asn't a huge debate, like people just liked Halo, and you would never interact with someone who's got some college agenda. Topics and worlds and countries and the inner space of your mind and those around you was more seperate and local.

I don't miss admin/mod/"senior contributor" worship. Damn that system to Hell. The "unique identity" was just who was 'le respected community vet.'

Pretty shit to be honest
>find the game you want to play
>install new game from CD
>have to change disks throughout the install
>often the install will fail because fuck you
>game installs but doesn't launch because driver issues
>connect to teamspeak
>load up game to play with friends
>try to connect to clan server
>client version mismatch
>new patch released
>have to find the patch from gamershell or whatever site willing to host it
>queue up for the patch
>patch downloads slow as fuck
>try and install latest patch but have to locate install because its on D: drive and it doesn't auto locate
>try and connect to server again
>another incremental patch released to fix the last one
>repeat download and install process
>have to download no-CD crack because fuck having the disk in your drive
2000's gaming sucked

good with alot more freedom and thought put into the game, games have gotten better graphically to an extent but are more restrictive in terms of technical gameplay and content. doesnt mean there arent good games anymore, good games still being made but devs now cater to the general audience instead of the genre and are usually too afraid to innovate

It was a fucking mess, unless you were a sony fan.
>SEGA died
>Nintendo continued to shit the bed and becoming a first party system only
>Xbox introduced the idea of consoles paying for online, also no games. Oh and normies getting in to video games.

>ps2 games suck.

Even if it was true it would be irrelevant to what my point was. Its not true though because PS2 games were great. I meant more in that PS2 absolutely dominated the industry of console gaming at that time. If you take PS2 total sales combined it outsells both GC and Xbox combined like 3 times over. It outsells DC, Xbox and GC combined by a huge margin. Nintendo did okay with GBA being a great success for them at least so they had handheld domination going for them but PSP did go on to sell a ton of units thanks to being easy for pirates to hack. Not sure if Sony considers PSP a great success or not but at least handheld units did sell a fortune.

PS2 era was a generation that no single company ever dominated in the way Sony did at that time. Not being a fanboy here or anything its just the facts. Sony might as well have been the entire industry at that point since it pretty much was. If Xbox didn't get saved by Halo Microsoft likely wouldn't be making consoles today. Nintendo as I said held on thanks to their strong handheld division. I loved PS2 and it had an enormous amount of great games on it even if most were third party.

Try playing something else besides PC shooters and MMOs.

Also the only other gen that a company dominated that much was Nintendo with NES but at that time the gaming industry was being revived after a crash and Nintendo was trying to reinvent or sell games to Americans at the time in a different way. They also pretty much had zero real competition even if it was through shady business tactics. 6th gen was different in that gaming was already well established though despite Sony dominating the gen. NES era gaming was making a comeback from being a laughing stock.

in my circle growing up ps2s weren't popular. sure, if you look at global sales figures it was dominant but that isn't reflective of every place. I had no idea gamecube was considered a flop until recently because it was the go-to console for me and everyone I knew

Pretty great, as others have stated
Arguably peaked right at 2007, but then immediately started declining around 08 once companies started buying into the casual / wiggle phase and or the cinematic triple A meme
By the early 10s, triple As were much more watered down, casualized, hamfistedly cinematic, and moving away from the "video game" feel
That's why Demons and Dark Souls was unironically so refreshing
Things have recovered some, and probably will more with the success of ER, and indies really picked up the slack

Oh please. The PS2 sold ridiculously well not because of it being a video game box. It was admittedly the best value in electronics in general. A full entertainment system that could play your games, play your movies and play your music CDs all for $299.99. If you want reality, THIS is what it was. Yes, PS2 had some good games, but let's not pretend that alone is what sold this and brought video games to the mainstream. For most it was the Madden and NBA box before the Xbox was established and effectively took the image and audience of what SEGA was going for in the Genesis era. PS2 was a good console and it wouldn't have sold a lot if it didn't, but putting into perspective what the PS2 was with respect to everything else out there mixed in with the hype and promises it established and you get what actually happened. It's better than every other PlayStation other than the original Playstation, but please calm down.

>first party only
That was only when the Wii came out.

717 gang?

Well your circle was small obviously. With how well PS2 did you'd have to be braindead to have not noticed it if you were into gaming. It being a cheap DVD player of the time helped it tremendously. I had PS2 and Xbox but Xbox was limited really only to its best and more exclusive games for me that could only be on Xbox or PC. I had a friend who had Gamecube but he also had two very young brothers and I assume it was a decent console for couch co-op and multiplayer as N64 was. But reality does not change, PS2 was the biggest thing in gaming period. GTA games alone were huge on PS2. Yeah they released on Xbox as well but clearly not enough cared to make Xbox sell more than it did.

Pretty what everyone else said. 2000 - 2010 was peak gaming. After that came a all of this fuckery you see today.

- Trannies
- Politics
- Casualized games
- ECelebs
- Twitch
- Commercialized market
- Unfinished games
- On disk DLC
- Used games requiring an Online Pass (people seems to have forgotten about this completely)
- etc

I could go on and on.