It can't be helped... -> Oh well

>It can't be helped... -> Oh well...
>I won't loose! -> You won't beat me!
>My tears won't stop. -> I can't stop crying.
>That's my line! -> Right back at you!
>My heart isn't ready! -> I'm not mentally prepared!
>I've always loved you. -> I've loved you since forever.
>It's too tasty! -> It tastes so good!
>This is bad... It feels so good.... -> Shit... this feels so good...
>Sakura-san... -> I... don't know what to say...
>Fufufu -> Hehehe

There I fixed it.

Attached: fuck_this_world_I_want_off_kanade.jpg (1920x1080, 319.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1twBr6SfhDQ&ab_channel=Xisorz
idioms.thefreedictionary.com/since forever
english.stackexchange.com/questions/399184/does-since-forever-make-sense
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ok, but how do you fix >ara ara?

>Niinii -> big brudder
there I fixed it

sex with Kanade

Attached: 1582915944611.png (1280x720, 966.68K)

>My my
Obviously. It carries the exact same nuance and it's one of the easiest ones.
The problem is more so that translators are translating Japanese direct addresses to English ones.
As one of the fixes suggests. In Japanese, people say each other's name or title to affect a sense of speechlessness, in English “I...” or “I don't know what to say...” or “I can't believe it...” works better.

In most other cases “he” or “you” is also quite fine a translation. I probably translate like 80% of occurences simply to “you” or “he” or something similar. — Some of these translations are beyond unnatural in how much they put names into the sentence where any English speaker would say “he”.

>Rean... haha...

>>I've always loved you. -> I've loved you since forever.
Retard here. Is there some subtle nuance I'm supposed to spot here?

>Fufufu -> Hehehe
YOU MONSTER!

Some of these are perfectly fine idiomatic English already, like "That's my line!"

Simpy that no one says “I've always lovekd you.” in English and that it's also not what the Japanese word “zutto” in that context means. One can also sometimes encounter “I've loved you for a long time.” which is more technically correct with :zutto”, but is not something English speakers really say idiomatically.

English speakers say “I've loved you since forever.” or “for as long as I can remember”, but what's quite long.

It's true though “fufufu” is as silly as translating doors smashing to “don” rather than “bam” or dog barks to “wan” rather than “woof”.
It's not a particularly different laugh; it's simply how the noise of laughing is transcribed conventionally into the Japanese script combined with a healthy dose of Hepburn-butchery because if anything, it should be “huhuhu”.
youtube.com/watch?v=1twBr6SfhDQ&ab_channel=Xisorz
Doesn't sound like an f does it? but that's exactly the laugh “ufufufu” is supposed to convey.

>Itadakimas... -> Rub a dub...
there I fixed it

I've never heard anyone say "since forever". Sounds retarded. You're so full of shit.

"I've loved you since forever" is literally the title of a book and:
idioms.thefreedictionary.com/since forever
english.stackexchange.com/questions/399184/does-since-forever-make-sense

eat a duck, I must!
zoom zoom it's time to consoom!
through the dark lord, amen!
it's a cherry poppin' time!

fix pic related too

Attached: eeeeeeeh.jpg (524x392, 85.78K)

Oh yeah the literal exclamation
“what?” or “huh?” is usually better.
あ in Japanese should also more often be “oh” than “ah”, I feel, in English.

My personal pet peeve is
>This is...?

These CR/Funi translators need to recall back to Japanese 101, the very first day. Hello, my name is John, what's your name?
>anata no namae wa?
Literally translated, you're saying "Your name?" The natural Japanese phrasing omits the part "nan desu ka?" (what is) but that doesn't mean that it's not implied. In English, it's not implied and is grammatically required, so we translate even the implied part into English.

In anime, there are a lot of times when the character is transported to a new place, or is given a strange item, and asks
>koko wa?
>kore wa?
Please use your brains, stupid translators. "This is...?" is not a natural translation.
>->what is this place?/where am I?
>->what is this thing?
See how hard that was? Dumb idiots.

Is she even wearing a bra

>Some of these are perfectly fine idiomatic English already, like "That's my line!"
Actually, I wonder if both the English and the Japanese come from some other language in the first place that came into each language through a translation of a play or something else theater-related in the past hundred or more years.

Ehh, do they actually do this too without rising intonation? I've never seen that translation.

With rising intonation it's “what is this place” or “where am I” but without it' like “This place is...” as an interrupted sentence.

I feel like "maou" appears enough in anime and manga that it's more idiomatic than literal, and is probably overtranslated as "demon lord." There was even a line in Code Geass when Lelouch said to C2 that he would become a maou as a complement to C2 being a witch. In western literature, "witch" goes with words like "wizard," "warlock" or "sorcerer" as the word's male counterpart, not necessarily with demon lords.

As such, "dark lord" is probably the more appropriate idiomatic English MOST OF THE TIME than "demon lord," although I don't find that to be fully satisfying either. Western fantasy cringe and Japanese fantasy cringe don't seem to overlap in this area.

Holy shit, are you kidding? I see it ALL THE TIME. Many times per season.

>It can't be helped... -> Oh well...
"It's out of my control." vs "I give up."
>I won't loose! -> You won't beat me!
declaration of my strength vs rejection of your strength.
>My tears won't stop. -> I can't stop crying.
She doesnt understand why vs she cant control herself.
>That's my line! -> Right back at you!
proactive vs reactive
>My heart isn't ready! -> I'm not mentally prepared!
self explanatory
>I've always loved you. -> I've loved you since forever.
as a fact vs being a feeling
>It's too tasty! -> It tastes so good!
"Its better than expected." vs statement
>This is bad... It feels so good.... -> Shit... this feels so good...
context needed please
>Sakura-san... -> I... don't know what to say...
"I understand you." vs "I dont understand the situation."
>Fufufu -> Hehehe
lolololol

translators are lazy

Even with rising intonation?
I can remember many of such lines but never with rising intonation.

Intonation patterns do not overlap 1-to-1 from Japanese to English, which is probably why you are confused.

>desu
>yep yep

>Soul->Soulless

based. localizers often take away small nuances unnecessarily and they don't even realize it, claiming they've "improved" the script by turning characters ruder/nicer/suicidal/childish/older/etc than they should be (if at all).

take a particularly bad basic bitch example. Slime says frequently that "It cant be helped" in a way that implies he understands 'subject' to be an immutable fact of reality. Being translated to "I'll give up on that" is a misunderstanding of his character.

Ok so which one is more accurate? I see left more often and it sounds better too, even with what you said

I think you are and you're not answering what I asked.
Are you even capable of discerning rising from falling intonation in Japanese?

Some of these are pretty good

I think you are illustrating the problem here. Are you even aware that you are imposing English intonation patterns on your interpretation of Japanese?

>>I've always loved you. -> I've loved you since forever.

"I've always loved you" triggers you?

Attached: Dolly_Parton_I_will-4190693120.jpg (300x300, 25.49K)

you haven't seen the anime, have you
you can't do that
at one point she literally just screams NII-NII NII-NII NII-NII

if you wanted to make it proper English, the only choice is to replace it with his name
however that takes away flavor, and so EOPs use romanized honorifics to cope with their laziness to learn the language they so admire

"It cant be helped." most of the time.
The issue lies somewhere with detaching agency from whatever is being talked about. The phrase is supposed to convey that there is nothing, in no uncertain terms, that can change this. Localizers tend to imply that the character has decided the thing is too hard to change, instead of literally impossible.

>Doesn't sound like an f does it?
normally not, but the うふふも禁止! does
I guess that's related to doors not sounding exactly like "bam" and dogs not sounding exactly like "woof" though

this reminds me of くすくす, another giggle onomatopoeia
it usually stands for a sound not even close to "kusukusu", but in Princess Connect there's a character who instead of giggling straight up says "KUSS KUSS", what do you do there?

"I've loved you since forever" has more of a reminiscing, wistful quality whereas "I've always loved you" is potentially more sober and confessional, or in other contexts reassuring or assertive ("What do you mean? I've always loved you!").

The idea that "no one" says "I've always loved you" is preposterous.

How are any of these improvements?

You're not addressing the full problem though.
As tried to point out, when it's said without a rising intonation, it doesn't mean a question.
For example, a character sees something surprising and says "KORE WA...!!!"
That's the case that comes to my mind first when I think of the japanglish "this is...", and it's a bit trickier to translate than the cases you mention.

No I'm not.
Japanese, just as English, has rising and falling intonation and this can change meaning, as with English.
While it's true that the way the languages realize this differs which can thus cause speakers of one to not correctly recognize the other; they till have these two patterns.
Mandarin and Finnish woud be languages that lack intonation patterns altogether.

No I haven't because I don't know which one as you never aid which one.
And no, one doe not need names, depending on context:
>Hey
>Stop it
>Welcome back
>I'm happy to see you
And many others are the correct translation.

>There, I made everything worse

Nice try "localizer"

>self explanatory
bullshit, readiness of the heart is not a thing that exists in Japanese, 心の準備 means mental preparedness
>context needed
TL note: bad means やばい

>BIG BRUDDAH BIG BRUDDA BIG BRUDDA

for me it will always be yeppers

>normally not, but the うふふも禁止! does
I guess that's related to doors not sounding exactly like "bam" and dogs not sounding exactly like "woof" though
Yes, that's a Japanese person actually vocalizing it, like an English person would actually say “bam!” in which case a Japanese person would say “ドン!”, but that's different from translating the actual laugh as “ufufu” or the sound of a door as “don”.

>it usually stands for a sound not even close to "kusukusu", but in Princess Connect there's a character who instead of giggling straight up says "KUSS KUSS", what do you do there?
One translates it to “GIGGLE GIGGLE” obviously because in this case the character is actually vocalizing it as a word, and that word is translated.

>There I fixed it.
More like burgered it.

Buddy, you are just as bad as the Funi translators.

Have to admit I've translated Fufufu as *giggle*. Hehehe just doesn't translate correctly.
>It can't be helped...
I like something like "Guess there's no way around it".

>It can't be helped
>That's my line!
>This is bad
I like these

>obviously
KYS KYS

congrats. you got the point.

This is such triehard bullshit.
These aren't nuance differences and no one in English would actually say the left lines in those contexts to expres different nuances; it simply sounds like something that came from translating from Japanese too literally.
When I searched for "My tears won't stop" I had only 10 000 hits, al off them were "My tear won't top coming/falling", and "i can't top crying" had over 10 million.

I'd probably translate やばい based on context. Most likely "shit" or "I'm screwed", or "cool" on a positive note.

All these sex scenes wherein people actually say “this is bad...” it sounds so stupid.
It's like “damn”, “shit”, “oh god” what English people say when they experience pleasure, similar to “damn, this tastes good”, where Japanese people can also say “dame”.
Technically it means “this is bad” yes, but in many languages such words are often used to convey a positive emotion such as “That film was sick!”.

It's also commonly used when character A suddenly see s character B in sexy clothes and says “やばい” where “Damn...” would be good.

But I was actually talking about “だめ” in that case when I made the topic, specifically in ex scenes.

>shit
Having character that aren't specifically rude use swear words is trash as hell (and a bad translation).

this is why i asked for context. as an avid coomer myself, i instantly pictured an incestuous situation where she was exclaiming the action to be bad but the feeling to be good. this seems not to be what you are referring to.

She lurks on here. Fuck her and her shitty ass meme subs.

Whoops! Can't critique localizers on Yea Forums!

>dead
seems like it's clearly the case.

tranny jannies strike again