Why is a 25 year old fantasy show better than most new fantasy shows?

Why is a 25 year old fantasy show better than most new fantasy shows?

Attached: 1628139850847.gif (500x375, 802.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catsuka.com/player/berserk_forces_satoshi_kon
youtube.com/watch?v=ypGWEXFpxyA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the show

Pico no Boku

Isekai made fantasy super derivative.

Also, Berserk will never be completed. Engage the sad.

>Generic isekai (which doesn't represent the majority of fantasy anime)
Super derivative
>Devilman ripoff
I don't know shit about anime & manga so I automatically assume anything made before I was born is original

Got to hand it to ink and paint animators for giving the snow deceptively simple paths without that single file snow garbage they've been doing for years.

>The T'heydinn is an oral history of each Moorish tribe which is recited and handed down the generations by the tribe's griots through music and poetry. In traditional Moorish society, each tribe maintained its griots on a gabdh, a kind of lifelong annual pension. Changes in lifestyle have meant this no longer the case and the T'heydin is today an endangered oral culture. Most of the griots today are elderly, with rapidly diminishing numbers and very few youngsters show an interest in taking up the griots lifestyle. The T'heydin is an oral tradition that is handed down the generations through the imitation of the musical talents of the ancestors and is performed on festive occasions with musical accompaniment. The griots live in all regions of Mauritania, although some regions are better known for their griot families. The regions of Hodh, Tagant-Assaba, Trarza-Brakna and Adrar are particularly well known for its griots. The population of griots is currently estimated to stand at over a thousand.
>The griots belong to specific families and almost form a musical caste within Mauritanian society. T’heydinn poems have also been composed by poets not belonging to such families. Griots hand down their knowledge from father to son. The father or a qualified relative initiates the young griot into playing musical instruments and later into the arts of music and poetry, culminating in his initiation into the art of the T’heydinn through recitation and mastery of the family’s own heritage. During this period of apprenticeship, the apprentice performer accompanies his father at all events, ceremonies and performances where he can turn practice and acquire new skills on the job. Every griot family guards its own T’heydinn repertoire as it distinguishes it from other griot families. A griot in possession of the whole epic is respected by all the other griot families and termed a 'bearer of the T’heydinn epic'.

>why is old thing better then x thing nowaday
I genuinely think no one who talks like this watches anything besides whats trending on their twitter account

The Berserk anime was considered shit even during the 90s

really? were you there?

Attached: E2IEpicVUAI0aIA.jpg (768x1024, 209.06K)

People used to these things with passion 20-30 years ago. Now it's mass production to make money. Not just anime. Everything.

they make too much anime too fast.
Digital technology is only beneficial for efficient mass production, hardly beneficial on the personal level
The more advanced, the more complex, the artform, the more powerful the technology, the more work, the more time, people, money it takes to PERFECT.
It's why they don't release a new GTA every year

Wrong. Satoshi Kon even liked it so much he made an AMV for it.

>It's why they don't release a new GTA every year
No that's because they can milk GTA online forever, they don't have to make a new one. GTA V was garbage anyway and the worst entry in a while, I don't know about this "PERFECT" shit you're talking about.

Where can I find that AMV?

catsuka.com/player/berserk_forces_satoshi_kon

Thanks.

Why is "beloved critically aclaimed work" better than "generic, literally who series"

Not even the best fantasy anime of the 90s

Slime Isekai is better though.

>is another LE OLD GOOD LE NEW BAD thread
Someone just start spamming the usual images already.

okay then read the post over and over until your tiny pea brain understands retard

Cory in the Big House

Why is this 25 year old fantasy show better than most other 25 year old fantasy shows as well?
Probably because it's that good? Stop thinking in OLD VS NEW and start comparing Berserk to most other things labeled fantasy in the 1990s, such as derivative shite like Ryuu Knight and the myriad of shitty isekai like El Hazard.

No, no one in the English fanbase knew it until the Dreamcast game

> El Hazard

At least we got this classic out of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ypGWEXFpxyA

Because it takes itself seriously rather than being shitty self-referential otaku shit.

also, it has its own setting, rather than using the same generic JRPG setting.

Not a modern complaint.

Attached: Dragon Pink.jpg (817x1200, 485.25K)

Name three modern fantasy series that don't have this problem.

What fantasy is even being made these days? Unless you count isekai, there's been fuck all.

No.

Because most new "fantasy" shows aren't fantasy they are rpg gamer wish fulfillment shit with a vague fantasy skin stripped over content that isn't fantasy. The series are not about fantasy or a fantasy world to explore, it's only stuff with fantasy elements because you need 0 research or knowledge for such a setting that is half fantasy (but not original fantasy, just the most common denominator of rpg fantasy shit) and a bit of hollywood middle ages and a bit of modern Japan bullshit.

Because Caska is fucking magic

Wow, I had no idea this happed

I like Bard Loen, Ousama Ranking, Atelier Witch Hat, Frieren, Magus of the Library and a bunch of others that are currently running there are good fantasy series out there and rarely some of them get an adaption like Ousama and Atelier soon. But they are a minority and the huge mass of retards will always ignore it to watch seven isekai instead.

I never said modern fantasy series don't have that problem. I'm arguing that most 90s series have the same exact problem.
Most popular fantasy manga from the 1980s and 1990s suffered the same "haha self-rential otaku humor" and "JRPG setting" bullshit that modern series do.

Attached: 241.png (1200x837, 1.92M)

self-referential***

Attached: 1625136467204.png (640x480, 491.03K)

Attached: 1623995839594.jpg (628x480, 157.74K)

Never knew about this, pretty cool. The idea of one of the most acclaimed anime film directors sitting at his PC cutting together Berserk clips for an AMV is hilarious to me.

Because all fantasy shows you get nowdays atr just ISEKAI THIS ISEKAI THAT. Anime is rip

I never said no old series have that problem, I meant that there are some that do not. There aren't any new ones that do not. So if you're looking for a fantasy anime that's not fucked by this it's gonna have to be old.

Even Lodoss War is literally based on a fucking Dungeons and Dragons campaign the author had and is set in the same world as a (real) Japanese tabletop RPG and video game, which had multiple "dude we're in an RPG lol" spinoffs on different continents.

Character designs. The mid teen spiky haired softboi aesthetic doesn't work in a medieval Europe-inspired fantasy setting. Guts looked like a man of his times and setting.

damn you got me

>There aren't any new ones that do not.
I think there are some but they are rare and I cannot name any recent examples for anime save for Ranking of Kings unless you count fantasy in general which would you get Made in Abyss and such.

I think the problem is how they do it too. Lodoss was literally based on D&D stuff as said but it was good. But it isn't self-referencing or referencing the fucking otaku culture to be all meta. Good fantasies tell a story about an actual character within a fantasy setting instead of breaking the forth wall or begging people to self-insert while pandering to them.

Attached: FK_0Oy8WUAQbZoN.jpg (2068x1509, 422.08K)

>There aren't any new ones that do not
Somali to Mori no Kamisama

Attached: 1619143005532.jpg (1280x720, 517.45K)

Attached: 1645887982894.jpg (1280x720, 593.37K)

read Magus of the Library

Attached: Magus of the Library - Chapter 20 - 1.jpg (1124x1600, 436.6K)

Honestly, I skip out on a lot of fantasy stuff if I think the character designs look really uninteresting. I think the last "new" one I watched was Bahamut in 2014. Didn't bother with the sequel series at all.

>Someone just start spamming the usual images already.
Like the pre 2000 and post 2000 screencap comparison?

Because it's fucking Berserk. No matter how shit the adaptation, the source material carries it.

That anime was pretty mid though, and the OP is the most hilarious out-of-tune-recorded-in-a-basement tier garbage I have ever heard. If it had a proper studio and budget behind it, THEN it would mop the entire anime market as easily as Soulsfags and Elden Cockring is doing with video games.

Most (not all) modern fantasy series look and feel like idol shit mixed with ecchi shit.
The best you can do is to ignore them instead of watching then and actually watch the few fantasies we get that aren't like that instead of ignoring those too because you don't even give modern anime a chance. Isekai fuckers are engaged and watch that shit. If the industry realises that actual fantasy is popular too they would make it more often.

Take that back you cretin, Tell me why is pure SOVL.

How can a source material carry an anime adaptation, if the adaptation is shit then no matter how perfect the source is, the anime will still be garbage. They are separate things.

MiA is a fantasy anime and it's better than Berserk.

>Something something the world is too cynical and post-modern.
>something something the writers have no magic in their hearts.

99% of fantasy is now isekai garbage that just regurgitates the same derivative plot, setting, round walled off town, starter zone, rpg mechanics, etc. they put no effort into the world or setting or politics. its all generic as fuck. theyd all be better if they just dropped the isekai part, but they refuse to stand on their own merit.

>something something the writers have no magic in their hearts.
Magic doesn't exist.

The worst is that literally every male anime fan I know in real life or know online keeps watching that shit so it won't end anytime soon.

Blame Dragon Quest, fantasy anime's been stuck in this "generic RPG fantasy" rut for 30 years now.