Axed Manga

Enough with the popular stuff, let's talk about manga that got axed. Why they got canceled and the potential they had.

Attached: The_Hunters_Guild_Red_Hood.jpg (635x1000, 172.79K)

I miss Black Torch, a shame it got axed while another manga with similar premise that is Jujutsu Kaisen got popular.
I think one of the main reason why it got axed was because it's too slow and the lack of its "Gojo".
You seriously just can't put effort into worldbuilding into shonen manga anymore nowadays, especially when you just starting. Because people who read shonen manga tend to be careless about this stuff and only want hype action with flashy fights.
Early JJK would also get axed if Gojo's fight didn't happened much earlier.
Also, the plot twist of Yuji dying also helped to generate interest.

Attached: 1649573589784.jpg (992x1369, 462.05K)

>potential

>You seriously just can't put effort into worldbuilding into shonen manga anymore nowadays, especially when you just starting. Because people who read shonen manga tend to be careless about this stuff and only want hype action with flashy fights.
Imo its getting ridiculous how fast new shonen are pushing the pace in order to get people to notice. At some point it's gonna pop.

Literally every manga from Seishi Kishimoto.
Satan got lucky enough to have 19 volumes. And Blazer Drive managed to do it in a "not too rushed" way with 9. But all his other manga got a rushed ending, even if they had a lot of potential like Sukedachi and Mad Chimera World.

His current manga has 2 volumes. I give it 3 volumes before it gets axed again because Seishi is cursed by his brother.

Attached: 1617543716865 (1).jpg (1690x500, 522.07K)

A lot of people point to wolfonium, but I honestly already lost interest after the first chapter. The Fairy Tales angle felt like such thin window dressing over a generic monster fighting battle shonen. They really could've done more with it. The wolves themselves turning into this weird vague bloby monster things stripped them of any visual identity they could have had. Main boy was forgettable. The only thing Red Hood had going for it was big muscle mommies, but that alone does not a series make. Wolfonium was just the icing on the axe cake.

Mad Chimera World ending is almost comical, with his other axed manga, the story just is speed up. But for Mad Chimera World, Seishi just decided to make the vilain win.

Attached: HE FUCKING WON.jpg (1125x1600, 1008.47K)

nobody wants to read about muh worldbuilding when the characters are lacking charme

And then you end up with situations like Samurai 8. Where the world building was pushed so fast and so detailed it destroyed all interest for normal readers.

Attached: 81l9FDemQjL.jpg (1400x2100, 358.41K)

I miss it

Attached: Fujimi Lovers.png (1763x1300, 369.37K)

This. Worldbuilding should come naturally as a result of likeable characters exploring said world. Instead of immediately giving long dumps on the complex socio economic trade systems of a village, just have your party interact with merchants to see what he trades in. Instead of giving a chapter 1 thesis lecture on how monsters are worshipped by a strange cult that lives in your japanese city, have your party loot the abandoned hideout of some cultist to piece together their practices and symbols of worship. Worldbuilding should never be the focus of a noninteractive medium like manga. It is a backdrop for your story, not the story itself.

I'm still a bit sad how most of the modern mangas now follows a very similar formula.
Then again, it was the same back then, the formula just changed...

Attached: build king.jpg (720x527, 111.26K)

Not really axed, but it could have being much more.
It had the bad luck of releasing just before One Piece and the "pirate hype".

Attached: full_coco_01.jpg (330x500, 50.83K)

Oh boy, this manga had far bigger issues than its slowly buildup world

That's the main issue for me. everything is rushed : characters, the world...it's like Masashi wanted to do 10 volumes of Naruto in 2 volumes of Samurai 8.

I guess his editor really helped him. Then again, his short manga Mario had a very good pacing. I really don't get what the hell happened in his head.

Besides the points you mentioned, I think another issue was that it's just very unpleasing to look at due to the fact that the artist didn't ink most of his panels and relied on a light contrast.

What is worse is that we do have some concept panel by Kishimoto and it looks much better and more appealing.

Attached: yohgwbo5yun41.jpg (640x800, 124.8K)

Literally SOUL vs SOULLESS
I know he was tired by Naruto but fuck, he could have done one chapter a month like Boruto.
Some characters legit have cool design wasted for this.

Attached: 6bzmxyjowun41.jpg (4264x1752, 2.8M)

>red hood
>axed

Well, it was, even if they did a good enough ending

Mary Grave. The story was just starting to shift to a group battle shounen dynamic just as it was axed and the ending was rushed out. The sheer potential this series has is staggering and it still depresses me to this day that it was canned.

Attached: 4531a989-aa28-4c1d-baea-6c0762c79987.png (836x1200, 522.21K)

I liked Prism because it came out during an era of Yuri where there was 185,000 chapters of NOTHING AT ALL followed finally by a kiss and the end of the series.
In Prism, the relationship happens pretty quickly, and everything that happens after is set up to be explored.
but a bunch of faggots screamed TRACING despite the fact that everyone fucking traces, so he got axed.

Attached: 20.png (833x1200, 260.73K)

I heard that the author was setting up for the Claymores to head to the mainland, but he got axed and was told to end the series.

Attached: Dietrich.(Claymore).full.506604.jpg (2560x1600, 855.75K)

People really need to stop saying that it got axed for health reasons when the artist is still active on Twitter, made an online webcomic, and even recently participated in a doujin event where he sold artbooks of his manga.

Attached: 1608647713704.jpg (2230x1600, 3.57M)

>wolfonium
I hear this a lot but what exactly was wrong with it?

kishimoto's faces give off so much more expression

Gotta agree with this. Nobody will give a shit about the world until they care about the characters. The characters ALWAYS come first. Powers, world building, fights, etc. are things you build around the characters and their interactions.

I'm legitimately interested in a protagonist trying to seriously make it using charm magic, but it usually ends up like this.

Bullshit
I'm shocked how people make up these ridiculous things...

I remember Magico...
Many people complain that shonens aren't original but when a really original (and fun) appears they don't care...
And not only that, even axed the author managed to do the "final fight" very well... you can see how he had EVERYTHING prepared, unlike many other famous mangakas...

Attached: cover13u.jpg (1035x1478, 446.19K)

A popular manga isn't always really original.
It's original enough to be fresh but similar enough to attract mainstream people.
Too similar and people will prefer the more popular original. too different and it will become too niche to continue...

One day, Mary Gravefag, I'll read your series...

I'm only repeating what I heard from Yea Forums back when Claymore was still being serialized.
Some Yea Forumsnon reported that Claymore was getting cut short and it was the END TIMES.

you know,i wonder
would popular mangas like naruto,dragon ball,one piece,bleach,etc
survive being axed,if they were released nowadays?

The only thing keeping Harta from being unquestionably the best magazine ever

Attached: 3.jpg (1366x1943, 536.34K)

people taste change so who knows. but many popular manga debut and survived during the tougher time than now. seriously now is quite easy to survive. they don't u10 manga anymore.

This looked really good in color pages, shame that it was basically unreadable in black and white

It's hard to tell as many recent manga only exist due to those old manga. And style changes a lot over the years.
Compare early Naruto to Boruto and you see what i'm saying.

If they have fast pacing at the start, then yeah. Attention spans are much smaller now, and there's way more forms of entertainment/distractions. If you can't hook readers damn near immediately, you can expect the axe.

I think what you need is a bit of world-building and a bit of character focus. I should be able to see the world-building through your character's eyes, and what they see should define my reason to care about seeing the rest of the world.

>implying village namek would make it if it debuted back in the day
kek holy cope. elusive beginning was slow as fuck and it didn't get axed. did you know back then they axed series at 10 chapters. it was more cutthroat then.

Can we talk about stuff that got axed for health reasons too?

Attached: 18.png (2880x2045, 1.53M)

oh boy I could go all day op, starting with: fug

Attached: Mx0_99_19.png (695x1100, 129.3K)

FUG

Attached: 28-29.png (1905x1400, 1.15M)

It's absurd how little people get this.

I still think Hungry joker was better than Black clover

Attached: file.png (1277x740, 1.66M)

Those are the saddest ones.

I liked the premise too, but Tabata's pacing in this one was even worse than in Black Clover.

Keijo deserved more, way more interesting with its absolutely stupid concept that dozens of other sports/shonen series.

Attached: Keijo!!!!!!!! v01 c01 p001.jpg (760x1200, 686.08K)

The ending was good for an axe.

I really liked this series. I enjoyed the world and the characters. The artstyle and humor were very pleasing to look at. Why was this canned?

>prism
Huh, that's an interesting one to remember. And you're right, also felt fresh maybe in part because it was an author from a completely different genre trying their hand at it. Along those same lines I'll throw out one nobody else remembers, but same thing in that a previously totally different area author tried their hand at yuri/fantasy. I think they were starting to just plain lose steam at the end, the world they had set up could have easily exploded into multiple more volumes and they didn't want to turn it into a multi-year thing. But the setup and characters were kinda interesting so I'll always be sort of bummed it didn't do better.

Attached: ch6 02-03.jpg (1650x1200, 619.04K)

I really hope he fully recovers, I noticed he seems to be putting out a lot more art recently so hopefully that's a good sgin. I can't imagine how must it must suck to finally get to write your dream story only to put it all on indefinite hold just as you're getting into it.

Attached: FPO32oyUcAURXnY.jpg (1789x2048, 289.42K)

I read Bleach for the first time this January, the story is dull and i would chop it without remorse if i was in the editor's pants.

Read, nigger.

I just wish I wasn't retarded enough to not fully understand the last pages

Attached: 45-n.jpg (1125x1600, 496.38K)

Bullshit, you don't get free pass for being boring by just saying slow start. Even series that are slow to start need to have something else to keep readers interest. Saying it get good eventually is not a good sale pitch.

Bleach has that Rukia/Ichigo dynamic from the start which hook the audience. The story is just an excuse for them to interact. That is what make people care about the Soul Society arc, people already understand why Ichigo want to save Rukia and actively cheer for him to success. Building an emotional connection to the audience is important

I thinkk Kishimoto became too excited because S8 was his dream manga so he ended overexplaining shit too soon at the readers

Sales probably. Maybe it was too out there for Japanese humor, one can only guess considering they still have the mangaka do more work after 2 axes. I don't think we'll get something like it again any time soon if at all

If it was his dream manga, why didn't he draw it himself?

FUCK FUCK FUCK
I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THE JAPANESE

Attached: I love you, as a friend.jpg (1114x1600, 224.81K)

This is something i legit can't answer

>tfw we missed out mecha houses
if only we didn't get stuck in a chunin exam

Weren't his hands/wrists fucking destroyed after years of naruto?

RIKO A CUTE

Attached: 20.png (1536x2048, 462.13K)