How would (You) write your long running shounen manga?

How would (You) write your long running shounen manga?

How would you avoid the repetitiveness and endless power creep, the mary sue characters, the feeling that villains are never threatening because you know this has to go on for 10, 20 even 30 years?

Attached: v.jpg (500x628, 99.08K)

I'd do it like Naruto and split the story into clear, different parts (Naruto, Shippuuden, Boruto) instead of one big mess (One Piece).

>Natsu
Every goddamn fucking time.
FAIRY TAIL IS NOT A PART OF SHONEN JUMP UNLIKE THE OTHER THREE

so you would split the story between Good, Shit and Even shittier? Bold...

Ichigo was emo from the start.

>FAIRY TAIL IS NOT A PART OF SHONEN JUMP UNLIKE THE OTHER THREE
So what? It's still targeted at the same audience.

Ichigo was Ska, then Scene, then Goth and finally normiecore.

Yes. That way people who like the good part don't have to deal with the rest if they don't want to.
One Piece would be a 10/10 if it ended before the timeskip and everything afterwards was called One Piece 2 or something similar.

copy One piece

Make the protagonist a girl

Anyone who says they know is lying. It's one thing to talk shit on this taiwanese seeing enthusiast website. It's another thing to have to release one chapter of content a week.

But One Piece is terrible.

retard

I was going to say "have everything already planned out and not make it overstay its welcome," but similar to said, it's the demand and schedule itself that's the problem.

>How to avoid powercreep
Create a power peak early on. Show what the maximum level of power on your universe looks like. It should be strong enough to keep things interesting for many years while the heroes try to to reach this point, but not so strong that it is completely alienating. It is maybe a good idea to create a system of strenght, kinda like on a videogame, and assign points to characters just to keep things checked.

>Your heroes don't need to be stronger than your villains to beat them
Is your character in any videogame you have ever played actually stronger than the bosses you fight? I bet that almost 100% of the time, the answer is no. You beat them using strategy, exploiting weak points, retreating, using allies etc. If you have your character be stronger than the strongest villains, you will innevitably incur in annoying asspulls, because nobody wants to read a manga where a character have to stop for 3 years to train in between arcs. So have them beating the odds with strategy instead.

>Turn their main goal on their head
Your character wants to be the pirate king/hokage/best superhero ever? No, they fucking don't. They only think they want that, because what they really want is this other thing that they think they can only achieve by becoming the best. So you will show them that best way to achieve the REAL thing is different than becoming the president or whatever. Give us an interesting ending.

you can't end Naruto before Shippuden though. It is literally an incomplete story.

not correct

Take the JoJo route and split it into self-contained parts.

>Create a power peak early on. Show what the maximum level of power on your universe looks like.
Clearly you haven't read enough Gookshit if you hold this opinion. S-rank characters are introduced early on, like at chapter 3-4, and established as the power ceiling, only for the MC to turn out to be a SSS ranker few chapter down the line.

I'd write One Piece

Fairy Tail is a shounen manga.

Yeah, the problem with establishing the hardline powercelling is that it's just begging to be broken. You better keep things a little vague, so you have the room to maneuver.

well, yes, which is why I put that second part over there. Once you realize that you don't need to make your heroes stronger than the villains they fight, and also you don't need to make every subsequent villain stronger than the last one, you don't need to do this shit.

That's just the anime, Naruto as a manga has no different parts, and there's less of a difference in Naruto after Timeskip than One Piece TS, but of course you've never read One Piece

Not retarded, but not too bright. Ichigo is just fine in that regard.

literally Yea Forums right now
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>buyfag thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
literally ten fucking pages of
>bleach thread
>one piece thread
>dbz thread
>naruto thread
>bnha thread
no new shows
no new manga
it's just the same endlessly repeating shonenshit.

I wouldn't

Generational like JoJo

so the same as always.

for me, it was something like this:
>battle shonen thread
>battle shonen thread
>storytime thread #1
>storytime thread #2
>that one manga that got recently released on M+
>battle shonen thread
>and a lot of misc threads

Copy World Trigger

>1000 chapters
>no asspulls
>no plot holes
>no mary sues
>no bullshit genetics
>no prophecies
Kneel

Attached: images (32).jpg (554x554, 31.75K)

try making your falseflagging less obvious next time

Shounen board. cry about it faggot

Kill the hero and switch to a new one every arc

>but of course you've never read One Piece
Correct, I don't read garbage.

>1000 chapters
>no asspulls
Toon powers are an asspull.

The first point you made makes me think of an aspect of Zatch Bell, story-length-wise. It's established that 100 demon children are fighting to become the king of their world, so you know when that runs out, that's that. However, for one arc we find out that There are some demons who were left behind from the last battle because they got turned to stone by a spell and revived in the present day This works because it still hasn't broken what's been established before, but you can have a longer story this way. But I think it was a monthly manga.

I think Araki has probably the closest to the right idea where he made entirely different parts with an overarching theme. Some of them got too long though.

I think the way Croc did it in KnY is unironically the best way if you're doing an ongoing narrative. She showed the main villain as well as the strongest good guys extremely early and DID NOT make something stronger than those things. So you have a clear idea of "these are the strong good guys that the main character has to catch up to eventually" and "these are the strong bad guys the good guys need to beat".

That's the tricky part, there's a lot of shounen out there that do this at first but then they introduce "the actual strongest guys" or "this was only the weakest one of the strongest guys" or give the strongest guy unncessary powerups when they were already super fucking strong to begin with. If you establish the power levels and strength tiers early enough in the story and ACTUALLY KEEP IT THAT WAY so the audience knows how the main characters need to advance, I think you can solve like 70-80% of shounen's problems

Attached: sip7.jpg (650x365, 47.96K)

>How would you avoid the repetitiveness and endless power creep
Bring in villains that are roughly the same in power but with unique and interesting abilities

>mary sue characters
By writing characters with good qualities and flaws

>the feeling that villains are never threatening because you know this has to go on for 10, 20 even 30 years
By making the villains achieve most of their goals and win a majority of their fights. Why do you sound like most of these shit writers who can’t use common sense to craft their stories?

>How would you avoid the repetitiveness and endless power creep, the mary sue characters, the feeling that villains are never threatening because you know this has to go on for 10, 20 even 30 years?
Just don't write a battle shonen.

I just realized Natsu only cries maybe 5 times in the whole series.
>Erza's attempted sacrifice
>Gildarts telling him he passed despite shitting his pants (pictured)
>Future Lucy's death
>Igneel's death
>Gray's second or third suicide attempt (the one with Silver doesn't count since he already settled on faking it)

So JoJo part 6 with presumable less gays?

Oh yeah, I forgot Makarov's death, but I blocked it from my memory because I hate that Mashima chose to bring him back anyway.

If KnY came out in the 90's you just know the editors would have found some way to pressure her into continuing the manga with "oh shit here's 20 ancient demon lords that could all have oneshot Muzan", followed by Atlantean Demon Kings, and Primordial Demon Gods from the stone age or some such.
I'm glad that doesn't happen as much in this post-Bleach post-YYH era

Nope awakening was forshadowed

>How would (You) write your long running shounen manga?
It would be sports and focus on the sport first, character development second and comedy third. Shit like romance and story-progression don't matter and should only be fodder for comedy and wrapping the story (arcs) of characters up.

Naruto should have had another time skip after Pain.

Change the main characters every dozen or so volumes would fix the power creep and repetitiveness for most shounen

be like togashi and make a manga so popular that you can do literally whatever you want on the next series

>togashi
Literally who?

>It would be sports and focus on the sport first, character development second and comedy third. Shit like romance and story-progression don't matter and should only be fodder for comedy and wrapping the story (arcs) of characters up.

Already been done; it's called Hajime no Ippo.

Attached: Smugpo Makunonchalantly.png (874x1250, 245.94K)

Okay, here's my official first chapter release Shonen Boy Legendary Peace Bringer Delta 7: Saffron Emperor Killing

Attached: shonen.png (1161x1237, 135.61K)

Chapter 2 The Revenge of Tommy Tomlard, break next week

Attached: chapter_2.png (1315x1472, 176.18K)

Volume 1 ends on a cliff hanger, what is the true meaning behind Boy Shonen's smile?

Attached: chapter_3.png (1387x1301, 159.59K)

Eh. I like the LN version better

Introduce an end game enemy early, keep his power level consistent and use him as the series power ceiling for mc.

No villain, just back to back tournament arcs forever, with some comedy/slife of life chapters between them.

Real shit, I'd make one about an MMA fighter's career, from humble beginnings training in the gym to getting the strap and defending it a few times then eventually retiring after losing it the belt. Final chapter would be his hall of fame induction ceremony.

Fairy tale is my favorite shonen though!

>How would you avoid the repetitiveness and endless power creep
My power system has consequences attached to power, unleashing the highest potential of your power is tantamount to killing yourself and even the lower levels creates massive discomfort and/or mental stress.
>The Mary Sue characters
Make them have flaws and conflicts with each other
>The feeling that villains are never threatening because you know this has to go on for 10, 20 even 30 years?
Allow the villains to win some times or to have agendas that aren't killing the heroes.

Yes but with some gay cause it sells

Holy shit! How did he do it guys?!

>dead characters stay dead
>...

you know what, i'd probly write HxH 2.0

this

A story where the 'world' is the character and we follow different events and tales would be kino.

I still feel like Dai no Daibouken struck a nice balance because the heroes kept winning, but they were also forced to retreat most of the time and the enemies got to destroy most of the kingdoms so it felt more like they were doing damage control than outright BTFOing the enemy.

Yeah, it'd also be great if we got to see more of the villains.