Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun

I know I'm late to the party, but, thoughts on BotNS?
Admittedly, I'm not really into fantasy/sci-fi (barring a few select works), but I like Berserk, and I've been told this shares a few traits with it.

Attached: file.png (998x1469, 3.12M)

stop making threads about books you haven't read yet

No.

Based

I would also like to hear about this book I have not read

>but I like Berserk
go back to your containment board and then kill yourself

Filtered

>I've been told this shares a few traits with [Berserk]
Well yes. As you can see from the picture the posted, BotNS does also feature a guy with a sword, dressed in dark clothing at one point.

ngl deadass mid fr

Attached: 400.jpg (600x647, 47.76K)

>I know you, you're the shadow of the torturer!

Someone make zoomer Severian

Attached: botnsreg.png (1920x741, 2M)

What is the girl meant to represent? I don't recognize her face

It's Amber Heard

maybe jolenta, but I dont get jolenta from that picture

Agia

Any books that deliver with exactly that that "you expected"?

BotNS

Another fucking Berserk fan. This generation is ruined.

It's a work of art. Not a great one but I have respect for it.

only the golden age arc's the only good part. everything after the eclipse is ass

It has some good stuff later on too but at the end of the day there's too much bad genre convention and generally weird spiritual stuff.

>but I like Berserk
I need to incorporate this more into my troll-posts. Guaranteed (You)s

The Bible

Agia was asian or native american

ok right i forgot about the sea god arc, that was pretty okay. but the rest of the time it's as you said, it's just tropey clichéy
actually i found the spiritual (the 'realistic' depiction of astral projecting and the whole mending of casca's psyche) aspects pretty interesting as a change of pace

doubt

it's also more about character and less about looks

The Guts vs Grunbeld stuff with him getting the dwarf armor and generally moments involving the armor were pretty decent. The spiritual stuff is wonky in many places. Remember the chapter where Griffith leans about the nature of God? I think Miura decanonized it but it still gives you a good idea where he's coming from.

So which was it Yea Forums. Who had the best short story in Citadel? Seventeen? The Viking guy?

I liked the one the girl told and also the one about the cock.

This is wrong. You get everything in the "You expected" AND everything in the "You got." Truly a masterpiece.

That's the joke.

It's not like Berserk. If you're not into fantasy scifi, don't read it.

She's on the darker side of Amber in any case.

Halvaard

Wolfe is a meme. don't read him.

Who should I read?

Any author that isn't genreshit.

Okay, midwit.

cope

What the fuck was up with the play?

Attached: 1651947879943.png (500x500, 15.9K)

See? It works, I got a (You)

Have another one, fren.

Just some weird bullshit to scare idiot townies so that they'd drop their shit while running away.
Dr. Talos is just some weird robot doing it to have fun and pass the time.

Read Urth.

severian is just like me!

post similar recommendations then
i'm curious

Attached: 233448.png (361x358, 155.86K)

Wolfe wanted to include some short stories, so he made his characters act them out. Also, Andre the Giant and Garfield needed the money.
Read Lexicon Urthus

every bit with the armor was really repetitive, the only aspect of it that i found interesting is the fact that guts' party had to protect themselves from him or run away, the fact that everyone is in danger. once schierke eliminates that sense of danger through the power of bullshit magic, it lost my interest.

First time he got it was fairly intense with twisted joints and such and I agree the dynamic between armored Guts and Schierke was nice too at the beginning. Berserk is whatever. It's pretty edgy but I still admire the amount of work that went into the whole thing.

yeah visually speaking the whole twisted joints twisting back into place was pretty cool, i'll give you that. has a wolverine feel to it.

This user is a meme, don't listen to him

An excuse for the reader to imagine the prime twink Severian naked.

I swear it's the same 5 people every thread that talk about Gene Wolfe. You people have a hard on for this mid tier writer.

The thing people have to realize about Book of the New Sun, which isn't talked about much at all probably because it's spoilerish, is that it's about TIME TRAVEL. Yes, forget about the unreliable narrator meme. It's a time travel story. It has a lot of other great stuff going on, but this has to be known.

>You people have a hard on for this mid tier writer.
Because they think he's some sort of deep, philosophical author of some shit.

The Book of the New Sun and Short Sun.

The cocky cock and the ascians were my fave. All were good apart from the first. Also did Severian rape that girl that whipped him later in that chapter? He carries her away slap's her about then it ends.

It was Thecla. She had a thing for whips.

>It was Thecla.
I gotta reread that chapter.

You may also note how as Citadel proceeds, both in the narration and as narrator, Severian starts to get taken over by Thecla more frequently but also makes less note of the tendency. His genderqueer tendencies were projected into Terminus Est (the impotent genderqueer sword), and with its symbolic destruction, he assumed the role of the tool, just like he did with the Claw.

>f-f-filtered

its a fucking picture book you fucking manchild

Theres nothing special about gook comic books they're just as capeshit as american comic books and both dont require any brains to """read"""